ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Sportpaleis Ahoy, Rotterdam - October 1973
Thanks Irina! and Sergey!

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Bowie Live Reality Tour Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-25-03 07:41 AM
UGot2Rollme So.. after seeing the Stones 4 times in a year and and as recently as 20 days ago, it was with very low/no expectations that I saw Mr. Bowie in concert last night in Zurich. He started off with a somewhat jazzy version of "Rebel Rebel" one of the best non-Stones rock and roll songs ever written, IMO. Pulled it off nicely, with enough edge to make it work. Rather interesting stage presentation, and great band (Earl Slick and the other guy really played well), plenty of old (China Girl, Changes, Fame) mixed with the new - all good stuff though I'm not provoked to buy the new album. Tickets appropriately priced at about 1/2 the Stones.

The Thin White Duke (though now 56 and with love handles) still puts out, mixing up sets every night / go see him if you have a chance.

CH CH CH CHANGES!
10-25-03 10:22 AM
Sir Stonesalot I really like "Reality". Much much better than the last 2 albums. I like just about every song on it. Get it. Seriously. You will be glad that you have it.

I bought a ticket to see Bowie in early December. Haven't seen him live since '95 w/ NIN. Looking forward to it.
10-25-03 10:37 AM
dealer squealing I saw him in Stockholm on the 8th of October, great concert and Bowie in good form. Don�t you dare miss it!
10-25-03 10:55 AM
Gimme Shelter Yeah, I've got tickets to see Bowie in San Jose in January. I can't wait. This will be my third Bowie show.
10-25-03 12:21 PM
UGot2Rollme Sirstonesalot,
That's all I needed.
Reality is mine (tomorrow).

Cheers!
10-25-03 12:51 PM
tumbling_dice I am seeing Bowie in January in L.A. and Vegas!
Anyone else here going to either of these shows?
10-26-03 01:45 PM
Martha I am anxiously waiting to see my first ever Bowie concert on January 7th in Cleveland OH! I also Love "Reality"...and agree with Sir Stonesy..... Go Get It!!!!! Ready Set GO!

I'm so happy to hear a bit about the tour...it gets my blood pumping! :-) Thanks for the post!

Oh yeah, the ticket price felt human for once! We got floor tickets 14 rows back in section 3 for a pittance compared to the Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, etc., Thank you!

heading for an overload.......
10-26-03 02:01 PM
padre I saw Bowie in Helsinki a week ago. The band was very tight (the guitars were loud), David himself was in great shape, sang perfectly, the sound was crystal clear and the lights were excellent. A great show all in all.
10-26-03 02:05 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
tumbling_dice wrote:
I am seeing Bowie in January in L.A. and Vegas!
Anyone else here going to either of these shows?

I might buy a tcket to the Wiltern (they go on sale tomorrow)...

does he play any of the stuff from Let's Dance and earlier, or is this the Reeves Gabriels trip, where it is all new material..?
10-26-03 02:09 PM
padre In Helsinki he played at least Let's Dance, China Girl, Modern Love, Ashes To Ashes, White Light White Heat, Ziggy Stardust, Fame, Heroes and Under Pressure. Maybe half of the set was old stuff and half from the last 10 years.
10-28-03 11:45 PM
tumbling_dice Send me a PM sometime b4 the show macdaddy, maybe there will be some pre-show party or something!

Mickchickxxx
Becca
10-29-03 08:56 AM
Factory Girl I won tix to see Bowie last summer. He opened with "Life on Mars", which is a beauty. He did play a lot of hits.

However, as a performer he's too aloof for my tastes.
10-29-03 09:03 AM
full moon He is great.. Brilliant. Aloof?? Come on..
10-29-03 09:13 AM
Factory Girl Bowie's art has always been very unemotional and actually numbing. See his works like Heroes, Low, Lodger.

As a live performer, I perceive him as very aloof.

He was brilliant and innovative in the 1970s.
10-29-03 09:40 AM
FPM C10 Bowie IS somewhat "aloof" (good word, FG!) but that's what his schtick has always been. Mick is a bit aloof too, in terms of putting his "real" self out there. We can't ALL be Iggy Pop - in fact, no one can but Jim Osterberg!

I've seen Bowie 5 times, and think he is second only to Mick Jagger in terms of being a charismatic, mesmerizing performer and all around "rock star". A class act.

I thought his "Reeves Gabrels thing" was the best thing I ever saw him do - when he played with NIN and did stuff like "Andy Warhol" and "Joe The Lion" instead of the overplayed big hits. (And "Scary Monsters" with his whole band AND all of NIN onstage was absolutely amaaaaaaazing.)But that's just me. He generally tries to give everyone what they want to hear: some big hits, some obscurities. And (sadly, for me) Reeeves Gabrels isn't with him anymore. That guy's the most inventive guitarist since Adrian Belew.

I think everybody's gonna enjoy this tour.
10-29-03 10:18 AM
Gimme Shelter What did anyone think of Tin Machine? I just relistened to their first album and thought it was great. I probally had not listened to it in a couple of years.
10-29-03 11:33 AM
jb embarrassing....I bet the next thing he and his wife do is sign a modeling contract with Tommy Hilfiger.
10-29-03 11:51 AM
Factory Girl LOL, jb. He lost me with the Iman fiasco.

But, he's very rich and apparently, happy.
10-29-03 12:04 PM
jb it's a fake marriage....just like Liza and David Gest.
10-29-03 12:50 PM
Cardinal Fang I will probably be going to San Jose also. I've seen Bowie six times and I saw Tin Machine also. I LOVED TIN MACHINE.

The new album Reality and the last album Heathen are EASILY two of the best albums he's done in the last 20 years.

And those who said "aloof" are correct. Bowie's made an entire career based on being "aloof".

Go see Bowie.

Later, Cardinal Fang
10-29-03 03:46 PM
keith_tif hello!

For me the best Bowie's album it's OUTSIDE. Very strange, very new.I like very much this album.
10-29-03 03:51 PM
Dan I have listened to the Tin Machine CD several times in the last few days. San Francisco 97 has been in my walkman the past several days. I bought tickets to all the upcoming shows but realized his band and material is nowhere near as good as it was 1995-1997.

For anyone in the L.A. area who likes Reeves, he plays every other Tuesday at the Baked Potato in North Hollywood. He is also going to be at the Knitting Factory in Hollywood tomorrow which I REALLY wanted to attend but the transit strike has me stranded home for the near future at least.
10-29-03 03:51 PM
L&A Last week Ben Harper in Brussels, next week David Bowie in Antwerp... I feel sooo good
10-29-03 05:33 PM
UGot2Rollme I just realized that my thread-post paid no homage to any more recent Bowie songs that were Alive in concert... I must say that my favorite "new" song he played was...
..I'm Afraid of Americans!..
very well done and I can totally relate as an American...

p.s. I don't want to sound snotty, but there's a good reason why Mr. Bowie has Earl Slick on tour with him now and Mr. Gabriel is playing at the Baked Potato.

It's called who can F.@#$@#.kn.. master the Les Paul!
10-29-03 05:39 PM
Dan Actually I talked to Reeves about this once and it had nothing to do with who can master the Les Paul. I think the official reason was Bowie did not intend to tour behind Hours.
10-29-03 06:15 PM
hmps Bowie is one of my heroes so (if you have said anything bad about him) shut up.

Bowie wrote "My Way" in the beggining. P. Anka "stole" it..
Bowie wrote "life on mars" which is one of the greatest songs of all time.

Bowie is a great musician - unlike (a bit anti stones today) the stones today (TODAY). they are professionals - AGREE. but they can't write songs together anymore. face it.
Have you thought about how "Well well" or "western.." are going to sound?
I have.

you don't want to know

10-29-03 08:31 PM
hmps "Bowie is one of my heroes so (if you have said anything bad about him) shut up."

excuse yourselves

I havn't read your posts
10-29-03 09:02 PM
Boomy
quote:
hmps wrote:

Bowie is a great musician - unlike (a bit anti stones today) the stones today (TODAY). they are professionals - AGREE. but they can't write songs together anymore. face it.
Have you thought about how "Well well" or "western.." are going to sound?
I have.

you don't want to know

Well, don't be afraid to express negative opinions about the Stones, hmps. I mean, it's not really even an opinion...it's kind of the truth. Sans "Don't Stop", those new songs they released are as non-Stonesy as they get.

I mean, of course the new songs were just part of a marketing deal. I guess if they wanted to sell more copies of 40 Licks, they had to give the big time fans a reason to buy it, so they put one good tune on it and some filler. But all that did was just edit some classic songs.

As for those two "new" songs on Four Flicks, I don't think many people are anticipating them. I mean, I want to hear them, but let's be real, they probably are "filler" type tunes. No way would they waste a potentially good song on a DVD release. People would be much more happier if a new album was released..hopefully, those 4 songs they put on 40 Licks were the "throw-aways" of what may come on a future album (how long has it been since B2B?......more than 6!! Ouch.)

BTW, hmps...I too said that the latest of batch of new material of Stones wasn't that good and was asked "Why do you post at a Stones message board if you HATE them now?"

I just couldn't stop laughing..imagine, you say something like that, and you are branded a "non-fan"!
10-30-03 03:33 AM
mac_daddy I agree 100% with FPM's assessment. Reeves is sweet. I thought he was with Bowie longer than just Tin Machine...

I was asking because my wife does not dig alot of that stuff from the prog vein, and so I wanted to know if I should get her a ticket, or fly solo...

unfortnately, Dan, I cant get to the KF Thurs. I would have been there, but have a prior commitment (didnt get to Molly M's on Sat. either)...

speaking of prog, I see King Krimson is touring now - what is their lineup? is adrian belew still with them? how about tony levin?
11-06-03 03:03 AM
L&A I saw Bowie yesterday night in Antwerp, it was a great concert: fantastic musicians and Bowie is in a good form. 35 years of good music revisited. You have to go, you will not regret it .
Only negative point of the evening were the Dandy Warhols. It's the second time I see them live, first time for 2 years ago in a theatre in Brussels was a good show, but yesterday, nothing happened...
Page: 1 2