ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland - September 16, 1973
Michael Putland, from the 40x20 Exhibition, now on tour!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: San Francisco -- what time might the band go on? Return to archive
11-07-02 07:15 PM
maestro Just curious if anyone who's gone to recent shows has advice on when the Stones might hit the stage Friday night at Pac Bell -- the ticket says 7:00, and I have no interest in seeing Sheryl Crow (though I wouldn't mind hearing her do "happy" if Keith ain't gonna!)

If I show up at 9, will that be okay, or is 8:30 a better plan? How long is the break between Ms. Crow and the Stones appearance? The last thing I want to do is get there just in time for a long set break, so I can stand in the rain and drink $9 beers.

And yes, this is my first post here. I just wanted to ask this info, and I waded into all this controversy about the setlists. I'd tried hard the whole tour to avoid seeing any, so I'd be totally surprised when I actually saw my show, but the S.F. Chronicle printed a couple this past weekend that I couldn't NOT look at, and then I saw a couple here today. And of course I'd read the articles in Rolling Stone or whereever where they said they were playing obscurities like "slave," "she smiled sweetly," "torn & frayed," "winter," etc., though I haven't seen any of those in the setlists I've seen.

I'll admit that I side with those that want to hear deep album tracks and not the same old radio hits we've all heard a million times. But I'm not unrealistic, either - I'm fully expecting to hear the usual ten warhorses on Friday, and I will enjoy it. But I'd rather hear "loving cup" over "start me up" or "stray cat blues" over "miss you" any day of the week, and from what people have been posting here, I fear that the "stadium show" I'll be getting Friday will be short on surprises and long on hits.

But so it goes...I'm taking my wife, who's never seen the Stones, so I'm sure she'll be, er, happy with all the big ones. (we met in '98, a year after I saw the Stones three times in Oakland with Pearl Jam). I also saw them once in '94 (the best show I ever saw) and once in '89. My wife and I were actually supposed to see them in '99, but the show got postponed and we couldn't go to the re-schedule. Which sucks, because they played "you got the silver," "moonlight mile," and other obscurities that I would have died for.

But they can play "jumpin jack flash" 15 times Friday as long as I hear one of the following: "before they make me run," "can't you hear me knocking," "winter" or "rocks off."
Or am I just dreaming?
11-07-02 07:42 PM
Martha Nah you ain't dreaming..and welcome to Rocks Off. I got to hear a wonderfully, blistering and intense CYHMK at the stadium show in Detroit on 10/12/02. I was completely blown away by the show, which only kept getting better as it went on..so clean..so intense and as the show went on I felt I became one with the band (like I melted into them and the sound and the energy they were putting out...like an acid trip deal without the acid)..and everyone else (all 45,000) disappeared from my mind's eye. I was in the best euphoric state of my life and I wish only that it could've continued on indefinitely..of course though that woulda killed me..hell I thought I was goin down when I heard that beautiful riff from Keef on CYHMK...it exceeded my expectations and took me far above and beyond my wildest dreams.

This show started at 7 and the traffic was horrendous but somehow we lucked out and got off the exit before the one we were suposed to take, got lost and ended up in the correct parking garage...still have no idea how that happened..and no we weren't under the influence..well of anything other than the anticipation of the Stones..hey, what more do ya need?! lol

They took the stage around 8:45-9:00. Go to Stonesdougs site for the exact time his link is in the links page here. The site name is Shidoobeeland

I hope you don't miss a second of this incredible show..and give us a review, ok?!
11-07-02 10:19 PM
burningcore this is my first post here - thanks to everyone, it's great to read the various posts - starting time seems to be a bit of a crap shoot - they started at 9:10pm at edison much to my chagrin (we flew into LA about then and I was hoping they'd start late so we could catch most of the show - no such luck...) - and they started closer to 10pm at the wiltern... which was fine - we were well situated inside the venue by that time...
11-08-02 02:09 PM
maestro Well, unfortunately it doesn't really matter anyway, since the friends I'm going with inexplicably want to see Sheryl Crow. Though we certainly won't be soaking up the sun!

Just kidding...that was terrible. Though all I really want to do is have some fun tonight...oof!

The bottom is falling out of the market on tickets here, esp. with the bad weather...I feel sorry for those stuck with extras, but those who held out to scalp are going to be loving life.

"Gonna be a long cold winter..."
11-08-02 02:36 PM
BrianH I remember Edison starting around 9pm- the arena show
at Staples started later at 9:45 pm..
Just don't miss any!
11-08-02 02:40 PM
BrianH Maestro-
you're talking about the San Jose show!? I went to
the rescheduled show in April 99- at the Shark Tank-
it rocked! Yes - great set that night.

I'm at Pac bell on Saturday- turn the rain down just
a bit by then ok?