ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland - September 16, 1973
Michael Putland, from the 40x20 Exhibition, now on tour!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: When did Keith start wearing skull ring and bracelet? Return to archive
11-07-02 03:59 PM
jb Was Skull ring around 75?
11-07-02 04:14 PM
Gazza I think it was more around 1980 - give or take a year

Back in those days he wore it on his middle finger, whereas now its on the 4th finger. He isn't able to remove it anymore due to arthritis.
11-07-02 04:16 PM
jb Gazza..I was looking at a tour picture and he had it on in 78...I am pretty sure...Perhaps the great mathjis will help me..but I doubt it..LOL...
11-07-02 04:17 PM
Moonisup he got it for his birthday, I think in 1979, that is the ring, don't know about the bracelet

Rik
11-07-02 04:18 PM
jb Look at 78 tour pictures..I know I saw ring...I do not see ring on 75 tour..
11-07-02 04:20 PM
Moonisup well it ain't in 1975, hmmm should look for it in live on the road, I know he had it b4 Emotional recues that is for shure
11-07-02 05:57 PM
TT Bill German once mentioned Keith started wearing the ring in 1979.
11-07-02 06:52 PM
Martha JB,

If you have a copy of "Keith Richards" biography by Victor Bockris there are pictures of Keith at the beginning of each chapter and from that I am looking for the ring and bracelet.

From what I can tell he isn't wearing the imfamous skull ring until 1980 (pg. 298) at least in these particular photos.

He is wearing another big clunky looking ring in 1971-'72 (pg. 184) and i n 1975-'77 (on pg. 233) but I cannot make it out from the photo..don't think it is the skull ring, though. He is ringless in a few of the shots including the one for 1977 ( pg. 249) and '77-'78 ( pg. 265).

The bracelet shows up in the photo for 1992-'93 ( pg. 392)
11-07-02 07:43 PM
no_cole_porter I think the first time Keith started wearing the Handcuff Bracelet was in 1977/1978. I know for a fact that he was wearing it during the Some Girls shows.

David Courts made Keith a gold skull ring with cross bones on it in the late 70's. He began wearing this around late 74/early 75. Keith can be seen wearing this ring on the cover of Guitar Player 1977.

David Courts made the famous silver skull ring. As Martha mentions, I think the first time Keith wore this ring in public was for the Emotional Rescue press conference.

During 1977/1978 tours I believe Keith also bore a leopard ring on his right or left hand. He also wore this ring on the inner booklet of Talk Is Cheap. In the Rolling Stones Video Rewind, There is an interview in which Keith and the band are asked about Some Girls and problems with drugs, Keith is wearing this ring along with the bracelet.

Keith stopped wearing the Skull Ring on his middle finger around 1987/1988. For the Talk Is Cheap tour, It was definitely moved to his ring finger.

I think that Keith may have had more than one ring made. The ring on the cover of Rolling Stone 1981 looks a lot different from the one on Guitar World 1988 and then the one in British GQ from 1999.

[Edited by no_cole_porter]
11-07-02 09:48 PM
no_cole_porter Courts And Hackett may have been the people who provided Keith with the bracelet as well. I tried requesting a replica ring from David Courts after reading the Man Of The Year article about Keith in British GQ from October 1999. It listed his ring as made to order. So I called and was told that it was a one of a kind ring and was a present from David to Keith. So no other rings will be made.
11-08-02 01:55 PM
magicwoman dont know but the ring is soooooo cool wnated to have thta ring to but ill think that a skull ring is for men and not for women
11-08-02 01:57 PM
sasca No such thing. Wear what you like and screw the doubters.
11-08-02 01:59 PM
magicwoman Yeah actually your right the next time when i see the ring i am gonna buy it
11-08-02 02:07 PM
sasca