ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland - September 16, 1973
Michael Putland, from the 40x20 Exhibition, now on tour!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: In-depth Wiltern review Return to archive
11-06-02 02:42 PM
T&A ...as posted originally on StonesDoug's site - reprinted here with permission by the author (that's me!)...sorry for the excessive Shidoobee references...I don�t usually write long dissertation pieces � but excuse me for this one.

First of all I�d like to say that among the most cherished experiences of a wonderful couple of days in LA was getting to meet and know better so many of the hardcore Shidoobeeans. My memory will lapse � but

It was a gas meeting WandrSpirit and StonesWalt (who Tim and I had the privelege of being next to in line � we were 23/24, they were BOTH 25!). Thanks Wally for the brew � I hoped you liked the Rebel Yell! We were in line by 8 a.m. and the 11 hours seemed to go by in a heartbeat � time does indeed fly when your dropping a whole bottle of Stoly before noon! Great meeting a couple of �kids� in line � MudFlap and his bandmate, Russ. Couple of newer generation hardcores � keepingthe flame alive! Others we had fun with �

TongueLady, TO Tom, LRStones (are we friends again now that baseball season is over?) and Deb. Jagty�let�s see � oh, my memory is failing. Ken Keppol! Nice to see you again! Moondog, Wembley99, Doug T... on and on.

Anyway � we went back to the hotel to get the boombox and some stones boots to play and pass the time. Fun, fun, fun. A few more beers, pizza deliveries�and before you know the line began to move�Tim and I started our usual accapella chorus of YE GOTTEE MOVE � and soon everyone had joined in much to John�s chagrin (I saw you holding your ears, John!). After the first chorus, of course, we had to go with �How, how, how how�.How, how, how how," etc. etc.).

So we get down on the floor and lo and behold, there seems to be a place for us leaning on the right side

Of the 8-foot catwalk that would soon be Mick�s homebase for a couple of hours. Yeah, think we�ll pull up here if it�s okay with you, mate! Holy Shit!!!!! We�re standing there next to a security lady---we ask her what her instructions are � she says her only job is to make sure we don�t go on-stage and don�t grab Mick�s ankles (now being 6-foot-4 I was eye-to-eye with his knees, so they were more appropriate targets � more on that later). No problemo! How about cameras? Well, despite a security check for them outside, she says okay with disposables, but no flashes. But, I notice later that several security folks were using flashes themselves, so to hell with that! I got my entire 27 pictures taken point-blank � should have them tonight.

So, during Solomon�s set we get a chance to talk with the man � he�s asking us for suggestions � we�re tossing them out � he�s quite impressed that I know his new album as I call for Stepchild (a killer Dylan cover he does on it).

Then, about 30 minutes into his show, one of his stagehands comes over to the catwalk and pulls up a �volunteer� from the crowd. We think they just want a pretty girl to dance with them, but no, they�re looking for more. Tim (aka WoodyRichards), my buddy with the matching black tongue dress shirt, hops up and before you know it I�m up there with about 15 or so other fans and we�re boogeying to a Little Richard medley! It was surreal. I guess we were up there for 7-8 minutes, but who the hell knows. A Stones security guy is there to make sure we don�t get too adventurous and wander backstage � but you could definitely see �Stones activity� back here. I take a peek at the setlist next the Charlie�s drumkit � and now I realize just what a killer show we�re in for! I call my good buddy in Oregon on the cell phone while on stage � I yell into the phone � �I�m onstage with Solomon Burke.� (between sets, I call him back and he says something like, �sounded great � sounded like you said you were onstage with Solomon Burke!� )

After the show, we had many fans give us high-fives and tell us how fun it was to watch us up there. That was cool. I must say, to the best of my memory, I do believe it�s the first time Tim and I have actually �opened� for the Stones.

Okay � so now the real fun begins. Others have reviewed the show in detail already so I�ll just give you some personal highlights:

Woody was in a very fun mood � he and Mick were having a mock-fight all night. A lotta �fuck you�s� were traded back and forth. At one point, Woody was accepting applause from the front-rowers by issuing a personal �fuck you� to each and every one of us! WandrSpirit � it wasn�t just your imagination.

Jagger was possessed. SCB and THSMLI, yes � but all night long. He was downright scary at times with the level of intensity. I can�t tell you how many times the fans would just stare at each other in disbelief when Mick would turn a line or phrase or expression. Being so close (Mick knocked into my cellphone with his knee during SCB - the guy at the other end of the line was quite amused when I told him that!) - was really surreal. About 3/4 of the way through the show I remember thinking to myself, oh that's right, that's Mick standing next to me (I mean I'm looking at the detail of his tennis shoes - which are about 3 inches from my nose!) - at times I had to pinch myself to remind me what was going on - it was more like a dream than reality.

Neighbours rocked my very foundation. 3rd song of the night, and it literally could have ended there and I would have been satisfied. Keith and Ronnie both fired off heart-palpitating Chuck Berry solo�s on this �redesigned� classic.

Beast of Burden was a surprising highlight. They slowed it down � Mick sang with utter passion � including a perfect falsetto during the �pretty, pretty girl� part. Woody�s solo was angelic.

Brown Sugar � oh, my. Keith comes racing out to the end of the catwalk and delivers the first two chords. Holy Shit!!!!! I damned near had a coronary right then and there.

Honky Tonk Women � never better. Woody played a raunchy, wicked lick throughout the song, elevating it beyond the norm. All the warhorses sounded INCREDIBLE.

Thru & Thru. Never a favorite of mine (still not) � but Monday�s performance was absolutely stunning. Keith nailed the vocals � now I�ve got the FUCKING BLUES indeed! The jam at the end was positively WICKED. You Don�t Have to Mean It was delivered with conviction and perfection as well.

Rock Me Baby - with no special guests. A real treat - Keith on a very good solo � Ronnie on an amazing solo � reminded me of Black Limo circa �81.

Jim Keltner � a personal favorite of mine � joined the band on percussion during CYHMK. On this song, Mick seemed to be especially inspired on the harp solo � very imaginative and creative stuff.

Toward the end of the show, there was a lot of playfulness among the band-members. Mick was having a lot of laughs � at times he couldn�t even sing he was laughing so hard.

A final reflection on Charlie � I didn�t get too many extended looks at him (how can you when you�ve got Mick 2-feet from you most of the night and Keith right next to him?). But, every time I did look at Charlie he had a shit-eating grin on his face. He was having an absolute blast. This is not just a job for him, it�s clear. He�s loving it as much as anyone, which is so cool to realize.

ROCK ON!!!!

[Edited by T&A]
11-06-02 08:02 PM
StrayCatLA DUDE! I saw you and your buddy rocking on stage with Solomon Burke!

I remember saying to myself "hey, it's those guys who were in line all day with the cool Stones dress shirts!"

Twas very nice to see Jim Keltner have a go on percussion during CYHMK...what a blast from the past.

And Mick was ON for the whole show...but ask anyone who was there about "Stray Cat Blues" and watch their eyes glaze over.

Too bad so many of the REAL TRUE BLUE Stones fans were left outside while the usual assortment of Hollywood weasels got in...those celebs wouldn't know the Stones' "Stray Cat Blues" from "Stray Cat Strut" by the Stray Cats.

A gazillion cameras recorded the concert for posterity...hopefully the whole show will be aired sometime and not just one or two songs.

Looking over the other small venue setlists, it looks like the LA gig was the best so far.

I GOT MY YA YAS OUT...did you?

ROCKS OFF!

11-06-02 09:42 PM
MarthaMyDear I DANCED UP THERE, ALSO!!! That's no lie (you'll see me in the video when that comes out)!!! I'm STILL "recovering" from all of the events (the shows, meeting Gary, who is the SWEETEST gentleman and the funnest person to drive around town with, showing him as much of L.A. as I could while he was here, etc.!!! HI, GARY!!! ), and just TONS of things... Talking with Slash after the Wiltern show was fun (it was GREAT to see him looking so healthy)... I'll have a review up here soon of the three L.A. shows, if I can find some time this week... I have too many things I have to do, like WORK (what's that?!?!?!)... LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :P :P

Anyways, I'm just getting around NOW to reading alot of posts and back on the computer... L.A. and the Stones: AWESOME!!! And, everyone I met from online was just so, darn cool and NICE!!! Thank YOU, Gary, for being just nice after a stressful time here before the shows... Now, it's back to reality (until February at Staples again!!! HE!!! HE!!! lol.................... :P )... Anyways, ROCK ON!!! I'm HAPPY!!!
11-06-02 10:19 PM
CousinCocaine Being a drummer myself - I like Jim Keltner very much.
Btw he's been one of very few prominent & good drummers who always respected Charlie's playing.
What exactly did he play on CYHMK (what perc.)!?
CC
11-07-02 02:42 AM
56DeSoto Helluva show, huh! Now I know who you two well-dressed guys were that were getting down with Solomon. I was over on the Keith side near the rail with purple hair if you saw me. Freakin' unreal experience. I still can't hardly speak about it. Found the back of my head in a pic in the LA Times today that illustrated an article. I'm gonna frame it..."And here I am hanging out with the Rolling Stones..."

56DeSoto
11-07-02 03:45 AM
F505 Can we expect a bootleg of this amazing show?