ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland - September 16, 1973
Michael Putland, from the 40x20 Exhibition, now on tour!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Best Stones' album? Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-05-02 04:11 PM
sasca I'm not very good at this - whenever I choose one I think I ought to have chosen another - but I'll go with a tie between Beggar's Banquet and the UK Aftermath, followed by (in purely chronological order) The Rolling Stones, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street.
11-05-02 04:15 PM
jb I think everyone agrees that "Exile" is the greatest album in rock-n-roll history, with "Sticky Fingers" running a close 2nd...."Some Girls" is the 3rd greatest album in history and "Beggars" and "Let it Bleed" round out the top 5 greatest albums in the history of mankind IMHO.
Some Girls saved the entire music scene in the late 70's.
[Edited by jb]
11-05-02 04:15 PM
moy some girls
11-05-02 06:07 PM
Boomhauer I like NOW! a lot; Sticky Fingers, Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, IORR, BnB,...................I like 'em......very much.
[Edited by Boomhauer]
11-05-02 06:22 PM
gypsymofo60 Let It Bleed....Just pips Beggars Banquet, and Sticky Fingers. Exile is as good as any of those three, but it has the unfair advantage of being a double album,(in the old scale.)LIB has everything, great standard rockers; Live With Me, Blues roots; Love In Vain,(their finest blues cover), darkness, at that time their forte; Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler, black humour; Let It Bleed, and the type of song only The Stones could come up with YCAGWYW, and Monkey Man. This was(along with Banquet), the album that formed the platform for the '69 tour of America which as we all now know, not only went down in rock history as the most famous/infamous tour of all time, it also set the precedent for all future rock tours. And on the eighth day, God decreed; Let there be_Stones, and it came to be.
11-05-02 06:35 PM
tumblingdice I have to agree with JB's Top 5 with either Sticky Fingers or Some Girls tying for 1st for me. LIB and Exile close behind with Beggars but must also mention Goats Head Soup and Voodoo Lounge which for me was the 2nd Some Girls. Just my opinion anyway.
11-05-02 06:40 PM
full moon Tattoo You and Exile....
11-05-02 06:49 PM
Pants Make the Man
quote:
moy wrote:
some girls

That's very interesting, but I must side with "Let It Bleed".
11-05-02 06:54 PM
Jaxx i enjoy something off of every stones album/cd. even the worst album has a hidden gem or 2. for a "parody" album some girls is ok....for versatility, creativity and technical merit, exile gets my vote.
11-05-02 07:01 PM
Mottrush All good but Top 5:

1. Exile
2. Sticky
3. Beggars
4. Bleed
5. Aftermath (UK)
11-05-02 07:08 PM
winter Exile is the most "significant" Stones album. But right now my favorite is Beggar's - just cause I've been soakin' up drink like a sponge -

Wintah

11-05-02 07:09 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Jaxx wrote:
i enjoy something off of every stones album/cd. even the worst album has a hidden gem or 2. for a "parody" album some girls is ok....for versatility, creativity and technical merit, exile gets my vote.

Is Some Girls a parody record? I was always under the impression that it was the Stones in their maximum open ended absorbtion/reflection mode, casting a brilliant light over everything that was happening musically in 1978 and showing it off from their particularly high vantage point. Not that it isn't funny as hell, but then so is Exile.

I honestly don't think I have a favorite Stones record. Little Nasty stands in total awe of their unprecedented achievements at virtually every phase of their career.

11-05-02 07:10 PM
fmk438j Exile. For one main reason, it's timelessness. You can play the entire thing and go back to the start and do it again and again. It just never gets tired. And each song is like that too. How many albums can you play repeatedly without getting tired of it? I've been driving somewhere and played Let it loose 5 times in a row. Every pop and whistle is placed perfectly and you devour it in it's every detail.

One thing though, happy and Tumbling dice do not sit well on 40 licks imo. It's just not right, them being anywhere else but among their respective track order.
11-05-02 07:26 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Is Some Girls a parody record? I was always under the impression that it was the Stones in their maximum open ended absorbtion/reflection mode, casting a brilliant light over everything that was happening musically in 1978 and showing it off from their particularly high vantage point. Not that it isn't funny as hell, but then so is Exile.

IMO yeah--. Miss You is a parody at disco, not an attempt at it. quite amusing. the tune Some Girls? totally pushing the envelope and completely politically incorrect..to the point of having to change the album cover! while Respectable is the "buddy holly" rifforama of the album, the lyics are totally a hilarious "tongue in cheek" statement... and Far Away Eyes? again, a "play" this time at country, not the "true" country sound, IMO found in country honk....

11-05-02 07:36 PM
no_cole_porter Bridges To Babylon. The Stones sounded so perfect to me on that record. I fell in love with every song on that album. It's got Rock, Soul, Pop, Reggae, Rap, Techno, Funk, Country and it's so fresh. It's a good record period. But it's got a lot of lovely innovations, it's classic and contemporary, it shows the Stones aren't afraid to try new things and the jazzy outro on How Can I Stop...What beautiful music they make.
11-05-02 11:06 PM
Gimme Shelter I would have to say "Sticky Fingers"
11-05-02 11:40 PM
BILL PERKS HOW MANY TIMES I GOTTA SAY IT..............DIRTY WORK(1986)
11-06-02 12:12 AM
Mother baby [quote]jb wrote:
I think everyone agrees that "Exile" is the greatest album in rock-n-roll history,

Why? because someone told them it was?

IORR is....but not, perhaps for the music...the Art Work said it all.

11-06-02 04:11 AM
dealer squealing Sticky Fingers and Love You Live
11-06-02 04:44 AM
F505 HOW MANY TIMES I GOTTA SAY IT..............DIRTY WORK(1986)

I think you gotta say it many times more BILL
But to be serious: all the sixties and seventies-albums are gold with exile and sticky in front position
11-06-02 05:02 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
dealer squealing wrote:
Sticky Fingers and Love You Live

This is good! Love You Live is THE one live album EVER that I would consider worthy of inclusion in a greatest album for any artist.
11-06-02 07:19 AM
JaggaRichards Let It Bleed
11-06-02 07:44 AM
dealer squealing I�m glad to find a person who likes Love You Live, i think it is very underrated album!
11-06-02 07:58 AM
F505 side 3 (el mocambo) is still my favorite legal stones live performance
[Edited by F505]
11-06-02 08:01 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
dealer squealing wrote:
I�m glad to find a person who likes Love You Live, i think it is very underrated album!

Ayyy-men. This is their best live album. In fact, the only complaint I have about this one is Mick's singing - he's out of shape, half gasping a lot of the words, letting Billy Preston save him. The four tracks from El Mocambo are priceless. "Charlie Watts is willing to talk, maybe... Bill Wyman just wants to take photographs of girls's legs... Ronnie Wood's gay..." "And 's old Bum Rush Jagger here!" "Keith of course is completely straight."

He sure seems to have fixed it for this tour, though... Damn that man can sing!

Their best studio albums? Hmm... My top ten as of now...

1) Exile On Main Street
2) Sticky Fingers
3) Let It Bleed
4) Some Girls
5) Beggar's Banquet
6) It's Only Rock'n'Roll
7) Aftermath (US)
8) Bridges To Babylon
9) December's Children (And Everybody's)
10) Tattoo You

I dunno, I was never a big fan of Tattoo You - a few great songs, and one tragically underratted Ronnie-penned classic ("No Use In Crying"), but I can't stand "Waiting On A Friend" or "Heaven", nor do I think "Tops" is such hot stuff. "Slave", "Hang Fire", "Worried About You" and "Little T&A" are all great, but the overall feel of the album just seems too slick, overproduced.

-tSYX --- We used to ride, ride, ride...
11-06-02 09:05 AM
Scot Rocks I find it hard to just say that one Stones album is my outright favourite without also including the magnificance of some of the others so here is my...

Top Ten Studio albums

1 - Sticky Fingers
2 - LIB
3 - Exile
4 - BB
5 - Some Girls
6 - GHS
7 - Tattoo You
8 - Voodoo Lounge
9 - Aftermath
10 - IORR

Mark
11-06-02 11:28 AM
Pants Make the Man
quote:
Jaxx wrote:

IMO yeah--. Miss You is a parody at disco, not an attempt at it. quite amusing. the tune Some Girls? totally pushing the envelope and completely politically incorrect..to the point of having to change the album cover! while Respectable is the "buddy holly" rifforama of the album, the lyics are totally a hilarious "tongue in cheek" statement... and Far Away Eyes? again, a "play" this time at country, not the "true" country sound, IMO found in country honk....

You've convinced me, Jaxx. But "Shattered", though perhaps parodying punk, is incomparable, nonpareil studio magic.
11-06-02 12:05 PM
6th Avenue
quote:
Jaxx wrote:

I think the song ER is more of a parody at disco. With lyics like night in shining armor
11-06-02 12:06 PM
6th Avenue Knight Sorry
11-06-02 07:37 PM
sonicrock 1 satanic majesties
2 between the buttons
3 aftermath
4 1st
5 get yer ya s ya s out
6 out of our heads
7 all the others exept voodoo/bridge/steel wheels. the i just c
Page: 1 2