ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Apollo Theatre, Glasgow, Scotland - September 16, 1973
Michael Putland, from the 40x20 Exhibition, now on tour!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Far Away Years - 1978: Special Edition DVD Return to archive
10-31-02 05:03 PM
stonesDVDs I've just completed the newest edition to my Stones DVD Collection,
'Far Away Years - 1978: Special Edition DVD'.

What makes this title worthy of a special edition remastering?

ULTRA RARE.....New Orleans Superdome, July 13, 1978, footage:
Video Quality: Very Good; Audio Quality: Excellent
1. All Down The Line
2. Star Star

1978 Appearance on Saturday Night Live:
October 8th, 1978
Video Quality: Excellent; Audio Quality: Excellent
1. Respectable
2. Shattered
3. Mick appearance on 'Tomorrow' skit

Saturday Night Live Rehearsals:
Video Quality: Good; Audio Quality: Very Good
1. respectable
2. beast of burden
3. summer romance
4. respectable
5. Shattered

Far Away Eyes Promo
Video Quality: Good; Audio Quality: Good

Plus....
1. Interactive menu with track access.
2. Color artwork with snapper case.
3. Limited time sale price: US$20 ppd ($25 for europe delivery)

Go to this link for screen shots From New Orleans and SNL:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/tabcom/dvd/farawayyears.html
[email protected]
11-01-02 08:13 AM
marko Is the sound on new orleans dubbed from other show?if so,
thats wrong.And picture very good?remastered somehow?
11-01-02 08:15 AM
marko oh,the orleans isn�t complete,,,,,,
11-01-02 12:16 PM
Sir Stonesalot From what I understand, the audio for New Orleans isn't actually from New Orleans....it's from Handsome Girls.

Is that correct Tom? I don't want to pass on bad info.

E! just replayed the '78 Stones SNL last week. I had almost forgot how shot Jagger's voice was.
11-01-02 12:51 PM
marko and yes sir,parcel is on the way to you!2vids+1 dvd.
11-01-02 01:11 PM
Half Nanker
It's great the SNL Rehearsal footage is included but, why not all three songs from the actual show? (probably because the footage is taken from the repeat showings on the Comedy channel recently. I noticed they have only replayed 2 of the 3 songs due to time constraints. Which gives you a great quality tape but, with a little digging you should be able to come up with the complete performance. And wouldn't that be a better thing?)

I am happy somebody is attempting to provide a 1978 Live Video compilation- on DVD. REALLY! But, this project begs for completion. There are great sources out there and this is simply incomplete. A very fun personal project, no doubt about it. But to produce and sell, use the best sources and stay true to them in the most complete manner...and you have something. It just takes a little more effort to track down the "right" sources. They are out there. Using Handsome Girls audio for the New Orleans Video is, just not right...if indeed that is what is provided in "All Down The Line" & "Star Star". I'm just pleased it wasn't the entire New Orleans video synched with anything from Handsome Girls. That was a positive change up.

11-01-02 02:04 PM
marko I have complete orleans,but i guess you don�t want it?
Bad quality!actually,,,i�ve seen worse.
11-02-02 11:18 AM
stonesDVDs Ok...regarding....

>>It's great the SNL Rehearsal footage is included but, why >>not all three songs from the actual show

I used the best quality versions of the two songs re-aired on E!, along with the 'Tomorrow' Skit. They are digitally transfered from my TiVo into my Mac. I do have the third song ,'Respectable', from the orginal broadcast on an old VHS tape. However, compared to the quality of the two other songs, the quality was much poorer, therefore I left it out. If anyone has a a higher quality version of 'Respectable', I'd send them a re-issued dvd in exchange.

Regarding the New Orleans show....

>>the audio for New Orleans isn't actually from New >>Orleans....it's from Handsome Girls

True....I know that causes complaints from some. However, as far as I'm aware, there isn't any quality audio sources from the actual July 13th performance. The source audio from my Beta Tape source is fair. The video quality is incredible for the age of the tape. I've been working with another stonesfan that is a video engineer. He really worked hard to transfer the beta to digital format for me. What I've been doing is dubbing the superior Handsome Girl tracks to the video on my Mac. Yes, it is a fake. However, played back on my TV\Stereo system, it is incredible and they ROCK!

>>Using Handsome Girls audio for the New Orleans Video is, >>just not right

I respect your opinion. However, as a fan and a collector, I just don't see an offical dvd of the 1978 tour ever materializing. What I have to offer is as close as it is going to get. If someone else has the material and the tech to make it happen, I support them.

>>I'm just pleased it wasn't the entire New Orleans video >>synched with anything from Handsome Girls.

I am working on completing the entire show with Handsome Girl. It is very time consuming. It is taking me about 2.5 to 3 hours per song to remaster. Afterwards, I have to author the dvd, which means many more hours.

Why bother, I'm a programmer and a stones fan. If I thought the end product was crap, I wouldn't bother with the time I'm wasting in programming\authoring the dvd.

Who knows, maybe I'll offer the original version also. However, the audio on the beta tape source is fair to poor.

>>I have complete orleans,but i guess you don�t want it?
>>Bad quality!

I'm not in a position to say my version is better without seeing your version. However, a lot of work has gone into remastering mine and I have to think mine is superior to anything else available.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Compare for yourself . . . . . . .

What I'm offering on the Tabcom Sampler dvd is this:

1. Bye Bye Johnny*
2. Street Fighting Man*
3. Beast Of Burden**
4. Lies**

*Taken from the 'Ladies & Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones' DVD.

**Taken from the soon to be released 'Some Girls In The Dome' DVD.

$5 US, $10 elsewhere to cover cost of postage and blank dvd.
Sorry...no artwork nor snapper case will be availabe on this sampler offer.

email me at [email protected]

11-02-02 04:49 PM
Half Nanker "I'm just pleased it wasn't the entire New Orleans video synched with anything from Handsome Girls. That was a positive change up."

I'll take that comment back, since it is going to happen anyway.

"A very fun personal project, no doubt about it."

And, a lot of work, I agree. I have a nice copy of the New Orleans '78 show on VHS. Doing a nice digital transfer would be an upgrade and enough for me (since there isn't a decent audience or unfortnately, a soundboard available). I'd rather have the original soundtrack to an upgraded video, which is true, than a soundboard to a totally different show married up to it! I'm sure it's fun to try and synch it up for personal enjoyment but, to sell it that way well, it's simply wrong. Period. A great concept from the outset that has taken a wrong turn.
11-03-02 04:28 AM
padre How about the Ft. Worth stuff from -78? There's the 30 minute video of it and the Handsome Girls' soundtrack fits it perfectly. Of course it does 'cos it's from the same gig...
Every time I watch that video, I turn the sound from tv off and take some synch spot from the beginning of Let It Rock and let it roll. It goes smoothly all the way through the video (well ok, one aud noise between the songs was longer on the video). My video of the show is quite poor, but I'm sure there's better versions out there.
11-03-02 05:20 AM
beer I got all three songs from the SNL 78 show on excellent VHS, plus the Mick and Dan Akroyd, And Charlie and Ronnie skit if any of you need them.
11-03-02 06:58 AM
marko My new orleans-78 cdr,is ok,not best audience quality from
78 tour,but,you can listen to it!
11-03-02 07:03 AM
padre In fact I got the Ft. Worth-78 vid from you Marko. What's the quality on your copy of the video?
11-03-02 10:12 AM
Half Nanker Now you are on the right track Padre! Exactly what I had suggested to this person awhile ago.

Marko, is this New Orleans audio CDR taken from the video perhaps? I'd like a copy if we could set up a trade. It would be interesting to see if it synchs with the video and enhances the enjoyment on that a bit. Please email me at [email protected]
11-03-02 11:26 AM
marko My ft.worth is,hmbmh,about Vg/Vg+,,my new orleans IS NOT
from the video tape,quality is better than that.Its close to
boot like "tight dreses&tampax"the old vinyl!
11-07-02 07:47 AM
stonesDVDs Regarding . . . .

How about the Ft. Worth stuff from -78? There's the 30 minute video of it and the Handsome Girls' soundtrack fits it perfectly.

Here is my choices. I can take a VG video copy of Ft. Worth and remaster the Handsome Girls audio to the 30 mins. of footage, or take a better video source of the complete New Orleans show and dub Handsome Girls to it.

I've seen the video for both. I've heard the audio of the New Orleans shows. I personally like New Orleans with the synched Handsome Girls audio.

Yes, I'll probably get to Ft. Worth someday. Right now I'm focusing on New Orleans dvd authoring.

[email protected]
11-07-02 12:30 PM
Saint Sway fans on this site "TRADE" shows!

go sell your shit somewhere else