ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, NYC January 18, 2006
© and thanks to Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Your fave Stones boots Return to archive
30th October 2007 02:11 AM
ohnonot youagain What are your fave Stones boots? Would u rate Knebworth 76 as one of them? I would, mine are in no particular order:

Knebworth 76
Portland, Oregon 98
Vancouver 94..Keith's Birthday
New Orleans 94
Edinburgh 82
Melbourne 95
Perth, Australia73
Seattle 81
Wembley 90
30th October 2007 08:41 AM
guitarman53 There's a lot, but I guess my favorite is Oakland, Nov.
69, what was "Liver then you'll ever be"
30th October 2007 09:01 AM
Gazza
quote:
ohnonot youagain wrote:
What are your fave Stones boots? Would u rate Knebworth 76 as one of them? I would, mine are in no particular order:

Knebworth 76
Portland, Oregon 98
Vancouver 94..Keith's Birthday
New Orleans 94
Edinburgh 82
Melbourne 95
Perth, Australia73
Seattle 81
Wembley 90

An intriguing list....no Brussels Affair, Handsome Girls and nothing at all pre-1973?

Personally I wouldnt rate anything from 1976 anywhere the top...maybe their weakest tour.

I always liked that New Orleans show you've listed. Keith does a particularly scorching 'Before They Make Me Run' on it. The theatre gigs in Europe on the 95 leg of that tour are hard to beat, though.

I'd still take Hampton over anything else from 1981-82 (Tempe would be up there too) and Tokyo 26.2.90 blows the Wembley show (I assume its the one that was broadcast that youve listed - 7.7.90) out of the water. One of the best stadium gigs ever.

From BTB, its hard to see past the 3 MSG shows from January 1998 and the Buenos Aires one from 30.3.98. Shepherds Bush and Wembley 1 from 1999 and from the No Security US leg, maybe the opening night in Oakland. Hard one to call.

Theres so many great ones from '69 and the early '70's its hard to keep track. Apart from the obvious soundboard/FM ones, London 8.9.73 afternoon show is an incredible performance and in really good sound quality for an audience tape from that era.

best from 1975? Sound wise, probably 11 & 13 July from LA, but performance wise I prefer the 27.6.75 show from MSG, which features that charming off-the-cuff version of Cherry Oh Baby.

from Licks, the obvious ones to go for are the theatre shows - take your pick from any one of about 10 or 12.. Of the arena shows - Oakland, Cleveland and Wembley 1.

From ABB - my favourite show of the whole tour is the one from Houston on 1.12.05.
30th October 2007 09:15 AM
gimmekeef MSG 3 Remastered 98 BTB Tour by Sister Morphine
Imperial Heartbreakers New Orleans 94
Brussels 73 Definitive Super Duper Triple Remastered Gold
DAC 2006 Saitama/Tokyo from the Asssisted Listening Devices
Handsome Girls
Nashville 2003(? or 2002)
Drakes Atlanta Feb 2006
75 Heartbreakers in Buffalo
Live BBC 63/64 Stuff (Beat Beat at the Beeb)
Philadelphia Special 72

Nothing from 81 tour as I rate it as poorest IMHO of alltime.And I ve seen all tours in North America and just rate that low as I found all songs blended in and hated Ernie Watts as solo sax guy on 90% of it...
30th October 2007 10:54 AM
pdog doc martins
30th October 2007 11:10 AM
Fiji Joe Hampton 81
Brussels Affair
Atlanta 2002
Leeds Lungs (By the way - has anyone heard of a full show for that boot?)
30th October 2007 11:52 AM
Shawn20 [quote]Gazza wrote:

I always liked that New Orleans show you've listed. Keith does a particularly scorching 'Before They Make Me Run' on it.

I was 7th row dead center for that show, which was about the same vantage point I saw the Stones in the Dome in 1978. The 94 show was really great, if less intense than the Some Girls show.
30th October 2007 02:40 PM
ohnonot youagain Yes I know I forgot to list some. Hampton 81 is great. I suggest anyone get the Vancouver 94 show it is great, think it was remastered.
30th October 2007 02:41 PM
glencar I know they're somewhat ragged but I thought the Philly 81 opener was great just cuz it was my first time.
30th October 2007 02:44 PM
Gazza
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Hampton 81
Brussels Affair
Atlanta 2002
Leeds Lungs (By the way - has anyone heard of a full show for that boot?)

Doesnt exist, Fiji. The soundboard/radio broadcast is all that circulates.

That '71 tour is pretty elusive, recordings wise. Theres about 15 shows, all of them in tiny venues of about 1,200 - 2,000 or so and hardly anything circulates from audience tapes...and what there is is mostly pretty crappy quality.
[Edited by Gazza]
30th October 2007 03:59 PM
gustavobala gazza, exist a 77 toronto-el mocambo video?

i like:
leeds 71
brussels 73
buffalo 06/17/75
ny 06/22/75
la 07/13/75
frankfurt 76
new orleans 78

i ever choose to put in my car:

buffalo 06/17/75
la 07/13/75
frankfurt 76

30th October 2007 04:01 PM
pdog Handsome girls
Brussels
Leeds
in that order. I like some of the 81 stuff, but it depends on my mood.
The latter day stuff 89 and on, is also depending on my mood.
LA 75 stuff is really good, I usually wanna hear LYL instead of the boots from 75. The 76 stuff is prett bad IMO. Ironically, LYL is so overdubbed, b/c it makes the 76 stuff listenable.
I forgot 72... Philly Special and various other boards from the tour.
30th October 2007 04:04 PM
Gazza
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
gazza, exist a 77 toronto-el mocambo video?

No.....I wouldnt imagine those shows were even filmed by the Stones, let alone any audience member. That club was absolutely tiny. Cant have been much more than about 400 at it.

All thats in circulation on audio is about 30 minutes of the second night.
30th October 2007 04:22 PM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

No.....I wouldnt imagine those shows were even filmed by the Stones, let alone any audience member. That club was absolutely tiny. Cant have been much more than about 400 at it.

All thats in circulation on audio is about 30 minutes of the second night.

The Stones invited the Prime Ministers wife knowing she'd bring heavy security.In those days cameras were so large you couldnt get one in or use it undetected.Everyone that went was a winner of a Q107 Radio contest and were checked out prior then transported by bus to event.I offered $1000 to someone to take their place..but as I wasnt on list it couldnt be done.Same offer outside to employees was rebuffed.I got drunk and partied elsewhere as it was impossible to even hear anything decent outside.Plus it was freakin cold....$1000?...hell I was nutz back then too
30th October 2007 04:31 PM
Gazza I used to trade tapes with a guy in Ottawa many years ago who won a radio contest to see one of those shows. I think they gave him a few hours notice and I need hardly tell you that Ottawa isnt exactly down the road from Toronto.

He made it, though. Same guy who later got a low gen tape of those Dirty Work sessions (the one with Strictly Memphis, What am I Gonna do, Baby Youre Too Much etc) and who sent me one of the first copies of it that circulated.

Lucky guy!
30th October 2007 06:22 PM
fireontheplatter i am enjoying my giants stadium 2nd show on dvd and the show from atlantic city on cd.
as always...the hampton 81 dvd's are great too
30th October 2007 06:30 PM
steel driving hammer I have tons of boots but these are my favorite socks...

30th October 2007 06:47 PM
speedfreakjive people seem to be forgetting Ladies And Gentleman soundtrack
30th October 2007 06:59 PM
pdog
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
people seem to be forgetting Ladies And Gentleman soundtrack

I didn't forget it, it's not my fav. I like alot of other 72 tour stuff more... it's good, don't get me wrong...
Sister morphines unreleased live album, Heading For An Overload, is way better.
30th October 2007 06:59 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
people seem to be forgetting Ladies And Gentleman soundtrack

this on dvd and lets spend the night together on dvd are next on my list.
they should release lstnt dvd in the usa. i remember it being on vhs when it first came out.
30th October 2007 07:44 PM
lotsajizz some faves....

Brussels Affair '73
Oakland '69
Perth '73
MSG '72
Hartford '02
Atlanta '02
Hartford '81
Shepard's Bush '99
Orpheum '02
Mocton '05
Tower '02

[Edited by lotsajizz]
30th October 2007 07:48 PM
Fiji Joe
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Doesnt exist, Fiji. The soundboard/radio broadcast is all that circulates.

That '71 tour is pretty elusive, recordings wise. Theres about 15 shows, all of them in tiny venues of about 1,200 - 2,000 or so and hardly anything circulates from audience tapes...and what there is is mostly pretty crappy quality.
[Edited by Gazza]

That's what I thought...I swear I remember some folks talking about the whole show a while back and that it was a new find
30th October 2007 08:00 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Garden State '78 - tape got ripped right outta the deck at the soundboard.

Gotta love it!
30th October 2007 08:31 PM
Poplar
i always put in a plug for a sleeper - Shattere din Europe (Naples 82). Always loved that one.
30th October 2007 08:50 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
pdog wrote:
doc martins

i liked those snakeskin one's keith had in '69

also those blue/grey suede ones he had in 81 were cool too
31st October 2007 12:01 AM
Zack
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

i liked those snakeskin one's keith had in '69

also those blue/grey suede ones he had in 81 were cool too

Yeah, with the hole in the toe. Brian had a similar pair, or perhaps the same pair. Maybe Keith stole his chick and his kicks! I think also that Keith presented someone (Bill Graham maybe?) with that pair of suede boots after the American leg of the 81 tour.

Has anyone mentioned Welcome to Australia? Fuckin' Tired from Tokyo 94? Paradiso 95?
31st October 2007 12:53 AM
Wide As The Clyde Marquee Club Mar 71
CD in fantastic packaging, looks like a major label, but sound is woeful. I also have, however, a brilliant DVD, by a company called '4 REEL PRODUCTIONS' which is superb. Sound and vision spot on and tons of bonuses: TOTP Brown Sugar, the entire Montreux rehearsals, Dick Cavett show backstage 72. Best Stones boot of all time.
31st October 2007 12:56 AM
Wide As The Clyde When Keith was asked what he had lost when the roof caught fire at Redlands Barns, he replied:
"Not much. Pair of boots maybe."
31st October 2007 05:59 AM
speedfreakjive
quote:
pdog wrote:

I didn't forget it, it's not my fav. I like alot of other 72 tour stuff more... it's good, don't get me wrong...
Sister morphines unreleased live album, Heading For An Overload, is way better.

fair enough, ive heard a lot of those boots and i still think L & G is he best , then Philly, then New York
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)