ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, NYC January 18, 2006
© and thanks to Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: King Crimson---Help with albums Return to archive
29th October 2007 03:50 PM
Jethrostone I've been listening to King Crimson lately and I must say they are a great band. I own:

In The Court Of The Crimson King: Love this one. My fav.

Islands: Got this yesterday. It's okay, so far least fav.

Lark's Tounge In Aspic: Pretty cool, gotta listen to it
again.

Red: Great album!

Any suggestions on which Crimson album to get next?
29th October 2007 04:04 PM
Saint Sway Lethargy once quit his job and left his wife to go follow King Crimson on the road for 3 years.

His bootleg collection spans over a thousand shows.

He's definately the man here to help you out on all things King Crimson.
29th October 2007 04:24 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl A real hard question!

King Crimson has several phases, the recommendation from Philip are from the very first line-up and I agree, they all are great recommendation but some of them are only available from the D.G.M. Collectors' Club

For the line-up you are listening now my recommendation is to buy the 4-CD box "The great deceiver" is a great compilation of the 1973-1974 tour and it includes the a great version of "Lark's Tongues in Aspic Part 1" which is really rare compared with Part 2 that is available in many official live albums and Part 3 also available.

Then buy Discipline, a great studio album, the return of King Crimson after 6 years, originally the band toured as "Discipline" and then Fripp dared to rename the band as "King Crimson" when it was officially killed in the album USA

Also a great three-CD-set is Heavy ConstruKction from the last tour

King Crimson is a great live to listen and to listen live, one of my all time favourites since I first listen "In The Wake of Poseidon" in 1970 or 1971; I was a regular of the Elephant Talk list from 1999 till the last day

Now is time to drink a bottle of prozakc blues!
29th October 2007 04:29 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Philip wrote:
When the first band split, they should have called it a day imo and Mr Fripp should have used a different name for the bands he formed after that.

The returned as "Discipline" and toured the UK (the "Discipline: Live at Moles Club, 1981" album is from those days when the band had that name) but when they released the album "Discipline" Fripp decided to rename the band "King Crimson" for obvious reasons

quote:
Philip wrote:
King Crimson was a group in 1969, but basically became the Robert Fripp band from 1970 onwards.

yes, but completely different from his works as solo, frippertronics, discotrnics, soundscapes, churchscapes, punkytronics, egotronics, etc and all that stuff has nothing to do with King Crimson.
29th October 2007 05:42 PM
lotsajizz
quote:
Philip wrote:

He's said that the first album is his favourite, it makes sense to buy more stuff by that line up before delving in to something like Discipline which sounds nothing like In the Court.
[Edited by Philip]

Ah, Phillip--the first original lineup only stuck together through December 1969 and the first album. All Crimson albums are worth getting--especially the live collekctors club stuff--but I do note that 'Starless And Bible Black' was missing from your list so I would urge you score that one ASAP.
KC is a band--Fripp is one Hell of a taskmaster, but anyone who has seen them knows that the idea that they are 'the Robert Fripp Band' is utterly ridiculous.
[Edited by lotsajizz]
29th October 2007 06:52 PM
Paranoid_Android FRIPP is playing tonite in DC!!! Wish I could make it...got my Glimmer Twins to watch!! They had a great triple play of LPs in the 80's...DISCPLINE...BEAT...THREE OF A PERFECT PAIR...

STAY AWAY FROM PROJEKT TWO...it was HORRIBLE
[Edited by Paranoid_Android]
29th October 2007 07:06 PM
lotsajizz all of the ProjeKCts were cool...even Two
29th October 2007 07:07 PM
mojoman
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
FRIPP is playing tonite in DC!!! Wish I could make it...got my Glimmer Twins to watch!! They had a great triple play of LPs in the 80's...DISCPLINE...BEAT...THREE OF A PERFECT PAIR...

STAY AWAY FROM PROJEKT TWO...it was HORRIBLE

great trilogy. court was the best and of course the 69 tour was the one but that being said sonically they are not pretty. check out the night watch set from the wetton era
29th October 2007 07:16 PM
mojoman
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
A real hard question!

King Crimson has several phases, the recommendation from Philip are from the very first line-up and I agree, they all are great recommendation but some of them are only available from the D.G.M. Collectors' Club

For the line-up you are listening now my recommendation is to buy the 4-CD box "The great deceiver" is a great compilation of the 1973-1974 tour and it includes the a great version of "Lark's Tongues in Aspic Part 1" which is really rare compared with Part 2 that is available in many official live albums and Part 3 also available.

Then buy Discipline, a great studio album, the return of King Crimson after 6 years, originally the band toured as "Discipline" and then Fripp dared to rename the band as "King Crimson" when it was officially killed in the album USA

Also a great three-CD-set is Heavy ConstruKction from the last tour

King Crimson is a great live to listen and to listen live, one of my all time favourites since I first listen "In The Wake of Poseidon" in 1970 or 1971; I was a regular of the Elephant Talk list from 1999 till the last day

Now is time to drink a bottle of prozakc blues!

yes voodoo!!!! serve with bottle of prozac? no absinthe or jimson?
29th October 2007 07:23 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Now is trivia time: Mention "Rolling Stones-King Crimson connections" in terms of gigs (sharing the stage), musicians on both bands, members, songs, etc
29th October 2007 07:26 PM
lotsajizz King Crimson's first gig ever was opening for the Stones at Hyde Park London. They also played the West Palm Beach festival together later in 1969. Mel Collins played sax with both bands.
[Edited by lotsajizz]
30th October 2007 01:36 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

• Both bands shared the same stage the same day at the Hyde Park show in London in 1969 and at the West Palm Beach Festival also in 1969

• Nicky Hopkins recorded sessions for the embryonic King Crimson in 1968 “The Cherful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp”

• Mel Collins , a former member of King Crimson played sax with the Stones in the album Some Girls. The songs were “Miss You”, and the single “Everything is turning to gold” later on “Sucking in the 70s”

• He (Mel) also added some sax in the edition of “Love You Live”

• Again Mel Collins also appears on Bill Wyman’s “Bill Wyman” in 1982 album and was a “Poor Boy” for “Willy” in the mid 80s

• Once again Mel recorded with Stu for Ronnie Lane and Pete Townshend for the “Rough Mix” album, Stu recommended Mel for the Some Girls Sessions

• Yet another Mel, he also appears on the “She was Hot” b-side “I Think I’m Going Mad”

• Mel Collins jammed with Mick Taylor in 1995

• The same Mel jammed with Stu, Bill and Charlie in the “The Marquee Silver Jubilee”, these are a couple of videos I uploaded from this show, there you can see Mel from King Crimson with Alexis, Bill Wyman, Charlie and Stu

• The leaders of both bands (Mick Jagger and Robert Fripp) recorded well-known songs with David Bowie, to mention a couple: “Dancing in the Streets” and “Heroes”, BTW, the guitar of Fripp on heroes is outstanding!!

• John Paul Jones (from Led Zeppelin) has contributed and played with both bands

• Jagger and Fripp have played live, toured and recorded in the studio with Joe Satriani

• Ronnie Wood wrote a song for Alvin Lee “Let’em Say What They Will” for the “On the Road to Freedom Album” (Lee & LeFevre) and in this album we have Boz Burrell, Ian Wallace both former members of King Crimson. BTW; Ron Wood plays Guitar, bass and drums in his song and 12 string Guitar in another)

• Well… this is “over-searched” LOL Steve Winwood plays in the Post-King Crimson “McDonalds & Giles” album (super!!! Highly recommended… I mean “High-ly recommended) and Steve Winwood was produced by Steve Miller LOL (well to find another connection hehe)

• A wife of Mick Jagger and a partner of Robert Fripp appears on a Roxy Music album LOL

• Both bands are enjoyed by Jethrostone, Saint Sway, Lethargy, Philip, lotsajizz, Paranoid_Android, mojoman and Voodoo Chile in Wonderland from Rocks Off

• Both bands has been active during the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s recording, releasing and touring.
30th October 2007 01:41 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Other trivia: Robert Fripp love to play in small venues, he hates to play large audiences...

Mention the show King Crimson played alone (no opening acts, only King Crimson) in front of 10,000 fans, this was the largest audience for them alone.

30th October 2007 01:42 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yet another trivia.... the origin of the name "King Crimson"
30th October 2007 05:02 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Jethrostone wrote:
I've been listening to King Crimson lately and I must say they are a great band. I own:

In The Court Of The Crimson King: Love this one. My fav.

Islands: Got this yesterday. It's okay, so far least fav.

Lark's Tounge In Aspic: Pretty cool, gotta listen to it
again.

Red: Great album!

Any suggestions on which Crimson album to get next?

I'd go with "Absent Lovers".
30th October 2007 05:46 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
Philip wrote:

The original and best King Crimson ceased to exist in December 1969, from then on Fripp, in most cases, called the shots and still does to this day.

IMHO...your HO is dead wrong :-)

my fave phase is the Bruford "Larks-Starless-Red" phase
but I am very fond of the Mastellato-Gunn edition as well--both of whom can play rings around Lake or Giles
30th October 2007 02:16 PM
Paranoid_Android Both bands are HUGE in ARGENTINA!!!

And Paranoid Android has met most of the members of both bands...some multiple times...
30th October 2007 02:26 PM
Saint Sway did anyone else here ever lurk at the King Crimson message board that Lethargy used to moderate?

anyone remember it?.. it had the "KFC" logo and chicken bucket on the home page... was called King Friends of Crimson...

Lethargy used to go by the name "The Colonel"...
30th October 2007 02:47 PM
mojoman
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
did anyone else here ever lurk at the King Crimson message board that Lethargy used to moderate?

anyone remember it?.. it had the "KFC" logo and chicken bucket on the home page... was called King Friends of Crimson...

Lethargy used to go by the name "The Colonel"...

no but my brother probably lurks on the burger king board while wearing his burger king crown.......
30th October 2007 06:47 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
Both bands are HUGE in ARGENTINA!!!

They are also huge in México, they have also recorded and released shows in Mexico City, whole show or portions. Their last show ever was in Mexico in front of 10,000 fans at very high prices making an exception as they only play in small venues, they prefer to play several times in small venues in a city rather than playing one time in a big one

quote:
Paranoid_Android wrote:
And Paranoid Android has met most of the members of both bands...some multiple times...

And Voodoo Chile in Wonderland has met a few of the members of both bands, but booked a former member of each band to play here (Mick Taylor and Tony Levin)... one time...
31st October 2007 10:38 AM
Saint Sway Lethargy dropped out of high school because he was so involved with creating his King Crimson Fan Club newsletter that he thought it was a good idea to pursue it full time.... who could blame him... at age 16, he already had 5 subscribers (including family). He figured that by the time he reached 30 he would be able to sell off the fan club newsletter and retire because he would have over a million subscribers.

unfortunately, Lethargy's King Crimson Fan Club newsletter maxed out at 8 subscribers (including grandparents)... but Lethargy still publishes the newsletter to this day and mails it to his close friends (myself, his brother and the guy at Kinko's that lets him use the copier) and he recently passed his GED exam!!! So in a sense, he has come full circle.

please PM him if you would like a copy for yourself -- or post him a response at his website "The Prog Blog"

[Edited by Moog]

[Edited by Saint Sway]
31st October 2007 11:34 AM
Lethargy Sway, you are on FIRE today, and milk is coming out my nose...

By the way, if I could only keep one King Crimson album it would be THRAK!! Don't think that one was mentioned yet. It's from the 90s and included Tony Levin and Bill Bruford still on board. The best balance of heavy and melodic of any album they have, in my opinion.

quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
Lethargy dropped out of high school because he was so involved with creating his King Crimson Fan Club newsletter that he thought it was a good idea to pursue it full time.... who could blame him... at age 16, he already had 5 subscribers (including family). He figured that by the time he reached 30 he would be able to sell off the fan club newsletter and retire because he would have over a million subscribers.

unfortunately, Lethargy's King Crimson Fan Club newsletter maxed out at 8 subscribers (including grandparents)... but Lethargy still publishes the newsletter to this day and mails it to his close friends (myself, his brother and the guy at Kinko's that lets him use the copier) and he recently passed his GED exam!!! So in a sense, he has come full circle.

please PM him if you would like a copy for yourself -- or post him a response at his website "The Prog Blog"

[Edited by Moog]

[Edited by Saint Sway]

31st October 2007 11:41 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
unfortunately, Lethargy's King Crimson Fan Club newsletter maxed out at 8 subscribers (including grandparents

LMAO...
1st November 2007 10:33 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl There are three live shows of the first incarnation of King Crimson touring the States late 1969 available for free listening at Wolfgang's Vault: so just click and listen now!

Fillmore East, NYC (11/21/1969)

Fillmore West, San Francisco (12/13/1969)

Fillmore West, San Francisco (12/14/1969)

Robert Fripp - guitar
Greg Lake - vocals, bass
Ian McDonald - woodwinds, mellotron
Michael Giles - drums

Enjoy!
1st November 2007 12:02 PM
lotsajizz 'Mars'--especially on the final night takes my breath away every time
1st November 2007 12:07 PM
gustavobala http://rateyourmusic.com/artist/king_crimson
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)