ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, NYC January 18, 2006
© and thanks to Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Clint Eastwood vs Gary Cooper Return to archive
23rd October 2007 12:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I don't think anyone will ever top Clint. So I "vote" Clint. But having said that Cooper is the man who actually brought the concept of "cool" to the cowboy, which kind of paved the way for the cool cowboys like Eastwood and the Ultra-cool Lee Van Cleef.
23rd October 2007 12:20 PM
Gazza I was apparently named after Gary Cooper (not because my parents were fans, they just liked the name) so I guess I'll have to side with him..LOL
23rd October 2007 12:21 PM
MrPleasant I didn't like that boxing movie, but I admit that Clint did a fine acting job. Of course it isn't hard to play a decrepit old son of a bitch when all his life he's been an adulterer and an egomaniac who likes jazz. I prefer Cooper because he had sex, like all normal people, with fifteen year old catholic girls.

23rd October 2007 12:31 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:
I prefer Cooper because he had sex, like all normal people, with fifteen year old catholic girls.

If you're talking about HIGH NOON, she was a Quaker. If not you'll have to explain, I may have missed something.
23rd October 2007 12:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels But she didn't look like no 15 to me. But then again they never do.
23rd October 2007 12:36 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

If you're talking about HIGH NOON, she was a Quaker. If not you'll have to explain, I may have missed something.

I was remembering Elaine Stritch in a Woody Allen movie called September. She said something like "When I was 8 years old, my parents wouldn't let me do it, and I think I was about 12 or 13 when I made the final decision like: "I know what I'm doing and if you don't like it too bad." And that actually came though the influence at the time of Michael Jackson and Steven Spielberg, because I was working on the film The Goonies. I was eating a steak one day and he sat down next to me and was mooing and saying, "You realize you're eating a cow right? Why are you doing that?"
23rd October 2007 12:46 PM
Dr Iff They're both (or were) characters as opposed to character actors. I happen to think Eastwood is one of the best movie directors around. Eastwood's experience as an actor allows him to understand the character that he is more than Cooper, who worked with great directors from a more classic, more melodramatic era.
23rd October 2007 12:47 PM
lotsajizz this sounds like one of those lame El Coucho threads
23rd October 2007 12:49 PM
StephenNYC Callahan rocks!
23rd October 2007 12:54 PM
steel driving hammer
23rd October 2007 02:09 PM
BONOISLOVE It's not a fair fight. Gary Cooper is like one hundred years old and that Clint Eastwood must be a thousand years old.
23rd October 2007 03:17 PM
Torn and Frayed The only Gary Cooper movie I ever saw was High Noon, which is probably better than any western that Clint Eastwood ever played in or directed. But then again, my feelings may change the next time I see Unforgiven or The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

The best way to do this is to pick a few movies that showcase the best of what the two have done and do a comparison.
23rd October 2007 08:08 PM
gorda For a long time, I could not see The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. The beginning is so violent. But, finally, one day, I sat down and watched the whole thing. That Tuco character is pretty funny. Although, I hope people understand that it is only a movie,and full of stereotypes. Furthermore it is historically incorrect, because the Civil War did not reach the Southwest.

Regardless, it is a cool movie and I love the soundtrack. One of my brothers has it on DVD, and the other has it on VHS. So, I can watch it whenever I want.

P.S. Clint Eastwood is married to a Latina woman, Dina Ruiz who is like 30 years younger than him. She was a news anchor woman and she was sent to interview him and somehow they hit it off and fell in love.
[Edited by gorda]
23rd October 2007 08:14 PM
Gazza
quote:
gorda wrote:
P.S. Clint Eastwood is married to a Latina woman, Dina Ruiz who is like 30 years younger than him. She was a news anchor woman and she was sent to interview him and somehow they hit it off and fell in love.

Somehow?

"So tell me, Ms. Ruiz - what first attracted you to the Hollywood bigshot and multi-millionaire filmstar Clint Eastwood?"
23rd October 2007 08:16 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
gorda wrote:
Furthermore it is historically incorrect, because the Civil War did not reach the Southwest.

That is a very good point.
23rd October 2007 08:24 PM
fireontheplatter i quite liked, bridges of madasin county. it brought out my feminine side.

clint it is.
23rd October 2007 08:29 PM
gorda
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Somehow?

"So tell me, Ms. Ruiz - what first attracted you to the Hollywood bigshot and multi-millionaire filmstar Clint Eastwood?"

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

I remember seeing an interview with the couple, and I don't remember what Dina answered, but Clint stated that he liked her booty! I swear that is what he said, he watched her walk away and fell in love instantly!
24th October 2007 12:48 AM
Zack
quote:
gorda wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

I remember seeing an interview with the couple, and I don't remember what Dina answered, but Clint stated that he liked her booty! I swear that is what he said, he watched her walk away and fell in love instantly!

That's as good a reason as any . . .
24th October 2007 01:26 AM
The_Worst I admit I don't know much about Gary Cooper but Clint is the man. I own almost every one of his movies on DVD..2 of his most underrated movies: First, "The Beguiled" (he plays an injured Union soldier who is nursed by some Southern women in their home & lets just say Clint gets involved with several of them).

"Play Misty for Me" is the first movie Clint ever directed & is the original "Fatal Attraction". It's a fantastic thriller! When it was out in 1971 Clint was filming "Dirty Harry". If you watch the scene where the black guy tries to rob the bank & Clint goes through the whole "I know what you're thinking punk" look at the movie theater sign in the background-it says "Play Misty For Me". Clint wanted to plug his other movie at the same time. Great stuff!
24th October 2007 01:53 AM
marko This is a tough one,i say they are equal.Gary cooper was
"eastwood" of his time-.?
While Clint eastwood,is now last man standing,as an actor
and also director.
Good bad and the ugly was directed by Sergio Leone.I think his idea making western movies,was to make them look as real as possible,whatever the historical background was.
Then,Clints latest movies Letter from iwo Jima and Flag of
our fathers,were simply perfect.
And his done dozens of movies which are actually brilliant.
Boxer movie was great,no happy ending,just like in real life.I think Clint is better director than actor.
24th October 2007 05:33 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

That is a very good point.

It's wrong. The Civil War was also fought in the southwest, just not on the scale of back east. In 1861, the Confederate Army launched a successful campaign into the territory of present day Arizona and New Mexico. Residents in the southern portions of this territory adopted a secession ordinance of their own and requested that Confederate forces stationed in nearby Texas assist them in removing Union forces stationed there. The Confederate territory of Arizona was proclaimed by Col. John Baylor after victories in the Battle of Mesilla at Mesilla, New Mexico, and the capture of several Union forces. Confederate troops were unsuccessful in attempts to press northward in the territory and withdrew from Arizona completely in 1862 when Union reinforcements arrived from California.
The Battle of Glorieta Pass was a small skirmish in terms of both numbers involved and losses (140 Union, 190 Confederate). Yet the issues were large, and the battle was decisive in resolving them. The Confederates might well have taken Fort Union and Denver had they not been stopped at Glorieta. As one Texan put it, "If it had not been for those devils from Pike's Peak, this country would have been ours."
This small battle dissolved any possibility of the Confederacy taking New Mexico and the far west territories. In April, Union volunteers from California pushed the remaining Confederates out of present-day Arizona at the Battle of Picacho Pass. In the Eastern United States, the fighting dragged on for three more years, but in the Southwest the war was over.

[Edited by lotsajizz]
24th October 2007 08:23 AM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:

It's wrong. The Civil War was also fought in the southwest, just not on the scale of back east. In 1861, the Confederate Army launched a successful campaign into the territory of present day Arizona and New Mexico. Residents in the southern portions of this territory adopted a secession ordinance of their own and requested that Confederate forces stationed in nearby Texas assist them in removing Union forces stationed there. The Confederate territory of Arizona was proclaimed by Col. John Baylor after victories in the Battle of Mesilla at Mesilla, New Mexico, and the capture of several Union forces. Confederate troops were unsuccessful in attempts to press northward in the territory and withdrew from Arizona completely in 1862 when Union reinforcements arrived from California.
The Battle of Glorieta Pass was a small skirmish in terms of both numbers involved and losses (140 Union, 190 Confederate). Yet the issues were large, and the battle was decisive in resolving them. The Confederates might well have taken Fort Union and Denver had they not been stopped at Glorieta. As one Texan put it, "If it had not been for those devils from Pike's Peak, this country would have been ours."
This small battle dissolved any possibility of the Confederacy taking New Mexico and the far west territories. In April, Union volunteers from California pushed the remaining Confederates out of present-day Arizona at the Battle of Picacho Pass. In the Eastern United States, the fighting dragged on for three more years, but in the Southwest the war was over.

[Edited by lotsajizz]

Clint? Isn't that slang for "vagina"? Ugh.
25th October 2007 03:17 PM
Dino37 Clint.

P.S. Carmel sure is a nice place to live.
25th October 2007 11:35 PM
Bloozehound Eastwood was in the classic Where Eagles Dare so you know he'd fuck shit up all over the place and make you shove it down your throat two times

26th October 2007 01:35 AM
MikeyC613 Gene Hackman was the biggest badass in Unforgiven.
26th October 2007 03:45 AM
MrPleasant I vote for Steven Spielberg!
26th October 2007 10:28 AM
egon Unforgiven
26th October 2007 09:45 PM
guitarman53 Gary Cooper was the original, Clint Eastwood took a different direction, I'd much prefer C. Eastwood, Gary Cooper comes from the old Hollywood, it was totally a different era back then, watch some old movies from the 30's/40's, you would know what I'm talking about, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, etc., it really doesn't mix well, it was totally a different age, then Clint Eastwood was in the late 60's.
27th October 2007 05:11 PM
mrhipfl I vote Chuck Norris - Walker, Texas Badass
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)