ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, NYC January 18, 2006
© and thanks to Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Neil Young Opening Night Setlist Return to archive Page: 1 2
20th October 2007 01:31 AM
Martha The set looks fantastic! We have tickets for night 1 of 2 at The Wells Fargo Theater on Nov. 5th. I hope he remembers the time change.....fall back 11/4. :-)

xxoo,
Martha
20th October 2007 05:13 AM
serge grange a song from the show
http://www.ciarancronin.com/images/NeilYoung071018nhp.mp3
20th October 2007 05:16 AM
serge grange found at this link
http://www.ciarancronin.com/musicfiles.html
20th October 2007 09:13 AM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

I love Trans!

Very catchy electro-gobbledygook that song is! THe intro is hilarious with all those crazy vocoder noises robotically reading out the description:

Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Bluuuuueee
Weight: 110
Disposition: Even
Mood Code: Roootary Adjustable...

I need a unit to sample and hold
But not the angry one
A new design, new design.

I need a unit to sample and hold
But not the lonely one
A new design, new design.

That song was the first time I realized that some 80s pop was ok, so songs like "Blue Monday" and "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order and "Cars" by Gary Numan have made it into my playlist.
20th October 2007 10:07 AM
Bitch The setlist and reviews sound very nice, Neil just added another NY show and now I'm inspired to get there. 4 nights at The Palace Theatre in NY are sold out in December, but another show has just been added, and tickets go on sale Monday morning,,,,,,,,

20th October 2007 10:18 AM
Stray Cat UK Inspired set list. A true genius and still making albums that matter 40 years later.

sc uk
20th October 2007 02:35 PM
fireontheplatter NEIL YOUNG MAN
20th October 2007 11:15 PM
Prodigal Son Well some reviews of Chrome Dreams II say it's better than the rather trumphed up, overarching political concept of Living with War (ok, but not great) and the sleepy old fart nostalgia of Prairie Wind (tied with Silver and Gold as his weakest work of the past 20 years). We'll see but though this guy is still relevant, Neil hasn't released a truly first-rate album since Sleeps with Angels in 94 or one that rocks as much too. I'd love to see him live one day. Next time he comes out to Alberta, I've gotta be there.

His last masterpiece remains Freedom and he hasn't done anything better than that LP since though Ragged Glory comes close (down a notch thanks to some boring folkie things like "Mother Earth" and it somewhat foreshadows his old fart ways). His last true grungey work was Mirrorball with Pearl Jam in 95. For me, his best album since 95 has been Greendale whose only flaw was the long, rambling blues of some tunes. If some songs were shorter and some sections less lean, Greendale would have been truly awesome.
20th October 2007 11:43 PM
mojoman
quote:
Prodigal Son wrote:
Well some reviews of Chrome Dreams II say it's better than the rather trumphed up, overarching political concept of Living with War (ok, but not great) and the sleepy old fart nostalgia of Prairie Wind (tied with Silver and Gold as his weakest work of the past 20 years). We'll see but though this guy is still relevant, Neil hasn't released a truly first-rate album since Sleeps with Angels in 94 or one that rocks as much too. I'd love to see him live one day. Next time he comes out to Alberta, I've gotta be there.

His last masterpiece remains Freedom and he hasn't done anything better than that LP since though Ragged Glory comes close (down a notch thanks to some boring folkie things like "Mother Earth" and it somewhat foreshadows his old fart ways). His last true grungey work was Mirrorball with Pearl Jam in 95. For me, his best album since 95 has been Greendale whose only flaw was the long, rambling blues of some tunes. If some songs were shorter and some sections less lean, Greendale would have been truly awesome.

ragged glory and mirrorball both rock
20th October 2007 11:47 PM
mojoman Reviews
The Hawks and Doves Finally Coincide
Reflective Neil and Pissed-Off Neil finally share some space on a revitalizing 'sequel'
by Richard Bienstock
October 16th, 2007 3:00 PM

For a guy who's spent a large chunk of his career oscillating between two distinct musical modes, Neil Young has in this decade acted as a particularly strict sonic segregationist. You want reflective, acoustic-guitar-and-harmonica Neil? Try Silver & Gold or Prairie Wind. Pissed-off, (somewhat) amped-up Neil? Go with Greendale or Living with War. Even when he's taken a hard left off these well-trodden paths—as with Are You Passionate?, his Booker T.–backed foray into Southern soul—Young's still done so with almost dogged single-mindedness, for both better and worse.
Consequently, Chrome Dreams II, on which various Neils commingle to an extent not heard on record since perhaps 1989's Freedom, immediately comes off as the 61-year-old artist's freshest effort in years, even as it's steeped in Young-ian oddball mythology: The "II" in the title is in deference to the Loch Ness monster that is Chrome Dreams, an unreleased late-'70s "album" that has been credited as the original home of now-classics like "Powderfinger" and "Like a Hurricane." But Young is also nodding to more verifiable history: The new record is front-loaded with three '80s-era tunes ("Ordinary People" in particular has, in the ensuing years, been deified by Neil-philes), while the backing musicians gathered here are alumni of past Young bands the Stray Gators, the Bluenotes, and of course, Crazy Horse.

But whereas Chrome Dreams II is to some extent an amalgam of Young musical tropes, its songs are lyrically of a piece, with Neil in many places waxing overtly (albeit secularly) spiritual. If the titles—"Shining Light," "Spirit Road," "No Hidden Path," "Ever After"—don't drive the point home, the imagery surely does: Young throughout is traveling along windy roads and long highways, keepin' the faith and prayin' in the trees, putting his trust in the "great spirit" and looking for his "way back home."

The differences lie in how he gets there. "Beautiful Bluebird," a newly recorded version of a song that dates from the sessions for 1985's Old Ways, rambles with a gentle if slight country-rock lilt, while the train imagery that runs through "Boxcar," another revitalized tune from that decade, is bolstered by a steady snare drum and sharply picked banjo. Though Young can tend toward the sentimental—as on "Shining Light" and "The Way," the latter making CD II, inexplicably, his third consecutive studio record to end on a tune that features a choir—scattered throughout the disc are among his most exhilarating and idiosyncratic electric rock songs in years. The 14-minute "No Hidden Path" is an extended showcase for Young's beautifully strangled guitar lines, while "Spirit Road" is driven by a distorted, jangling riff and propulsive backbeat, over which he balances quasi–New Ageisms ("A speck of dust in the giant world," "That long highway in your mind") with more earthly concerns ("Lost your keys," "Stop to eat"). "Dirty Old Man," meanwhile, offers up the filthy guitar tone and type of scumbag protagonist that Young paired to great effect on songs like the Rust Never Sleeps proto-grunge romp "Sedan Delivery."

It's all well and quite good, though also utterly dwarfed by the massive "Ordinary People," a lumbering, 18-minute screed first unveiled on Young's '88 tour with the Bluenotes. (The version presented here is an unreleased studio recording from that period.) In the grand tradition of epic Neil tunes, it swings with the tenacity of a wrecking ball, gaining potency by doing nothing more than repeating the same thing over and over again. For someone who once said of himself that his "changes are as easy to predict as the sun coming up or down," Young—unlike most artists his (or any) age—continues to be inspiringly iconoclastic.

20th October 2007 11:51 PM
sweetcharmedlife Color me not interested. I mean I like Neil. But after the clusterfuck that was Greendale a few years back,I can't get that bad taste out of my mouth. Although this setlist is better tahn that one was. But wake me up if he ever does a real Crazy Horse tour.
21st October 2007 01:42 AM
Child of the Moon About that recording of Oh Lonesome Me...

Hear that "Woo!" at the start?

That's me. I swear up and down.
21st October 2007 01:45 PM
Martha
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
I was there, fifth row. A fucking AMAZING show. Three unreleased tunes in the acoustic set (Sad Movies hasn't been played since '76), and some of them are comparative rarities (Harvest hasn't been played regularly since '73). The electric set was fantastic, as well, and it was a real treat to get Bad Fog, Winterlong, and Oh Lonesome Me.

During the electric set, before and during each song, Neil's old pal Sandy Mazzeo would paint on a canvas in the background, and it would incorporate the next song's title, and the finished piece was placed on an easel up front. Truly multimedia.

Meil was in a great mood, and in fantastic voice. When people in the crowd began hooting and hollering song requests (my best friend, in response, shouted "Sample and Hold!"), Neil told them, "Wow, it's so great that you guys know the titles of my songs! That's really sweet of you..."

The man is a fucking genius.

You've got me horny for Nei Childofth Moon! So glad you had 5th row seats for this gem!

xxoo,
Martha
21st October 2007 01:49 PM
Martha
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
About that recording of Oh Lonesome Me...

Hear that "Woo!" at the start?

That's me. I swear up and down.

Cool!

If he plays "Oh Loneome Me" @ my show I will sob like a baby, or wait, I'll sob just like Joey.

I will not shit liquid however.

That song will uplift me to the heavens.

:-)
22nd October 2007 01:21 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
Martha wrote:

Cool!

If he plays "Oh Loneome Me" @ my show I will sob like a baby, or wait, I'll sob just like Joey.

I will not shit liquid however.

That song will uplift me to the heavens.

:-)

I have always loved this song, for the pure and simple fact that most other people seem to dislike it. Well, not to mention the fact that it's just an inspired performance, anyway.
22nd October 2007 04:23 PM
TomL Can't wait till the Nov 15th show. Meet you before PA, drinks flowing.
22nd October 2007 09:34 PM
Prodigal Son Speaking of Neil. CHECK ME OUT!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=mBfP77Xspis "Speakin Out"

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=utGL3fX534w "Will to Love"

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vJRjf-LcEAc "Only Love Can Break Your Heart"

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=dpGM3lkBW1Q "Like a Hurricane"

23rd October 2007 06:35 PM
TomL 10-22-2007, Keller Theater, Portland, Oregon
w/ Rick Rosas, Ben Keith & Ralph Molina

From Hank To Hendrix / Ambulance Blues / Sad Movies / A Man Needs A Maid / No One Seems To Know / Harvest / After The Gold Rush / Mellow My Mind / Love Art Blues / Love Is A Rose / Heart Of Gold // The Loner / Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere / Dirty Old Man / Spirit Road / Bad Fog Of Loneliness / Winterlong / Oh, Lonesome Me / The Believer / No Hidden Path // Cinnamon Girl / Like A Hurricane
23rd October 2007 06:51 PM
MrPleasant I finally became a fan of that stinky hippie. Even if he didn't smell, I'd still like most of his music.

"L.A." is really really pretty. It almost makes me want to smoke crack.
23rd October 2007 07:12 PM
fireontheplatter it would be awesome if he busted out...the old laughing lady.
23rd October 2007 07:48 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
it would be awesome if he busted out...the old laughing lady.

I once saw an old laughing lady. I broke her jaw because she insisted that she had made love to Stalin. Fucking old people.
23rd October 2007 07:53 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

I once saw an old laughing lady. I broke her jaw because she insisted that she had made love to Stalin. Fucking old people.

thats not a very nice thing to do. didn't your mama ever teach you how to walk them across the street?

23rd October 2007 07:54 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

thats not a very nice thing to do. didn't your mama ever teach you how to walk them across the street?

They are excellent rugs: old people.
24th October 2007 12:44 PM
Lazy Bones The Portland and Spokane shows are now on Dime...
27th October 2007 12:23 PM
TomL I got my free CD but have not listened yet.
27th October 2007 02:24 PM
mojoman
quote:
TomL wrote:
I got my free CD but have not listened yet.

why?
why?
why???????
28th October 2007 01:20 AM
Child of the Moon I love, love, LOVE the new album.

Just thought I'd say it.
28th October 2007 02:21 AM
Prodigal Son
quote:
Child of the Moon wrote:
I love, love, LOVE the new album.

Just thought I'd say it.

It may be just a quick listen but I've previewed all the tracks and I like em all. I'm downloading it (hey, it's cheap online and Neil has hundreds of my dollars anyway), all of it. It sounds great and from early indications, I'd call this Neil's best album since Mirrorball (I'll have to get back to you on whether I think it's better because there are some fantastic rockers on that one). It blows Prairie Wind out of the water and seems like it has less of that moldy old man spirit characterizing PW, Silver & Gold and Are You Passionate while avoiding the sometimes overbearing, sprawling social commentary of Living with War and Greendale.

It's his most honest sounding work since Broken Arrow, but it's better than that one- more consistent. I love the addition of "Ordinary People." Even when he sucked in the 80s, he still came up with gems like that. Was that not originally to go on the aborted 89 LP Times Square? If it was there before This Note's for You, it's a wonder it didn't make it on considering only 1 great track exists for that one and 10 others range from ok to mediocre. He truly went dry from 81-86 but slowly came out of this and Freedom was incredible. Starting with Harvest Moon, his trademark pissed off edge began to wear off and I think starting with Living with War, it's returning.
[Edited by Prodigal Son]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)