ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, NYC January 18, 2006
© and thanks to Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Howe was Mick Taylor in DC?? Return to archive Page: 1 2
17th October 2007 02:13 PM
LadyJane Mel Belli?
Tommy Boy?

Kindly share your reviews.

LJ.
17th October 2007 03:30 PM
Maxlugar Probably pretty darn good.

Just not as good as this:

17th October 2007 03:34 PM
Saint Sway I assume he played "Red House" for the zillionth boring time

hopefully he cut loose on another track
17th October 2007 03:38 PM
pdog he weighed in at 273.
17th October 2007 03:43 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:
he weighed in at 273.

thick mick?
17th October 2007 03:44 PM
pdog the biggest quitter!
17th October 2007 04:08 PM
LadyJane It was that Jimi Hendrix tribute show.
I believe it's at the Beacon Theatre tonight, not sure if Mick T is performing at all shows, though.

LJ.
17th October 2007 04:34 PM
Mel Belli He was solid. He came out while Robbie Krieger was still on; and Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox, if I recall. They did "Watchtower," which was a bit of a mess - no fault of Mick's.

Then he did "Catfish Blues" with just Mitchell and Cox. His mic was way down in the house, so there was initially some howling about that. But his playing was spot-on. Very cool, especially for Stones fans who know that bootleg.

He came back later to accompany Buddy Guy on a couple songs -- Hoochie Coochie Man, I think, and My Time After a While. The latter was an audible -- "Can everybody go to G minor?" Guy asked -- and by then Mick was shining, doing the slide/finger hybrid.

The crowd was pretty warm toward him, but Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Robert Randolph brought down the house. Dudes can play.
[Edited by Mel Belli]
17th October 2007 05:22 PM
mojoman
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
He was solid. He came out while Robbie Krieger was still on; and Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox, if I recall. They did "Watchtower," which was a bit of a mess - no fault of Mick's.

Then he did "Catfish Blues" with just Mitchell and Cox. His mic was way down in the house, so there was initially some howling about that. But his playing was spot-on. Very cool, especially for Stones fans who know that bootleg.

He came back later to accompany Buddy Guy on a couple songs -- Hoochie Coochie Man, I think, and My Time After a While. The latter was an audible -- "Can everybody go to G minor?" Guy asked -- and by then Mick was shining, doing the slide/finger hybrid.

The crowd was pretty warm toward him, but Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Robert Randolph brought down the house. Dudes can play.
[Edited by Mel Belli]

sounds like he got played by the youngin's
17th October 2007 06:33 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
mojoman wrote:

sounds like he got played by the youngin's

Well, the young'uns played recognizable Jimi Hendrix songs. That helped a lot. Ran into Nanky after the show, and one thing we noticed was how restless the audience got. People actually walked out because Buddy Guy(!) was playing his own stuff - and for what seemed like a looooong time.
17th October 2007 07:07 PM
mojoman
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Well, the young'uns played recognizable Jimi Hendrix songs. That helped a lot. Ran into Nanky after the show, and one thing we noticed was how restless the audience got. People actually walked out because Buddy Guy(!) was playing his own stuff - and for what seemed like a looooong time.

buddy is always over the top and self indulgent but when he finally shuts up he can kill em. amazing that people would walk out on him.
17th October 2007 07:22 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
mojoman wrote:

buddy is always over the top and self indulgent but when he finally shuts up he can kill em. amazing that people would walk out on him.

Walking to the subway after the show, I heard a few guys complaining that, "If the ticket said 'Buddy Guy Blues,' that would have been one thing. But it says 'Experience Hendrix,' not 'Buddy Guy Blues.'"

Then another guy chimed in with: "If Jimi were alive today, he'd be playing Chicago blues."

But: "That's not what what was advertised!"

Funny.
17th October 2007 07:26 PM
nankerphelge It was a realyy good show once it got going.
Lots of opening night miscues and such.

All and all, it was a Hendrix tribute with the Buddy Guy show thrown in the middle.

Not that there was anything wrong with that.

No question young Kenny Wayne is a man possessed with that axe.

But the old guys got it done.
The Buddy Guy/Hubert Sumlin combo was more than my little head could stand! Those two guys are the blues.

Taylor played some great blues & slide,
as did ex-Door Robby Krieger.
Talk about Yin and Yang - Robby is about 8.5 pounds and balding. Taylor is about 850 pounds and mostly hair.

Robert Randolph was incredible, but there was just a bit too much effects on the pedal steel for my liking. Sorta the way that guy from Blues Traveler overdoes the harp.

But all-in-all I'd give the show a big thumbs up.

Amazing shock of the night: figured with DC's mix, there would be more than a few "brothas" in da house.
Nope - almost all old white dudes -- tons of them.
Some sleeping when the house lights came up.
WTF?

17th October 2007 08:01 PM
TomL I gotta to agree with nankyson. But it was three hours of great gee tar. Mick was good, Buddy was a show all alone. For some reason Kenny Wayne did it for me. That mother fucker can jam. It was a nice mix. As always a Hendrix show is always loud, how that MF-er fell asleep next to us is a mystery. Sorry i missed ya Mel but the pee pee was calling. Well worth the price to get in. And to be honest i am not a big Hendrix fan but each artist put there twist on it and it turned out great.
17th October 2007 09:30 PM
parmeda
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Walking to the subway after the show, I heard a few guys complaining that, "If the ticket said 'Buddy Guy Blues,' that would have been one thing. But it says 'Experience Hendrix,' not 'Buddy Guy Blues.'"

Then another guy chimed in with: "If Jimi were alive today, he'd be playing Chicago blues."

But: "That's not what what was advertised!"

Funny.

Mel, please tell me you gave these guys the famous Rocks Off " *****BLANK FUCKING STARE***** "

And let me guess... early 40's?
17th October 2007 11:35 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Great set, great performance, great musicians

Check the set!!

Foxy Lady - Eric Gales & Andy Aledort, Tommy Shannon, Chris Layton (Double Trouble)

May This Be Love - Eric Gales & Andy Aledort

Little Wing - Mato Nanji

Hear My Train A Comin - Mato Nanji

Spanish Castle Magic - Robbie Krieger

Manic Depression - Robbie Krieger, Mick Taylor, Andy Aledort, Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox

All Along The Watchtower - Robbie Krieger, Mick Taylor, Andy Aledort, Mitch Mitchell, Billy Cox

Catfish Blues - Mick Taylor, Billy Cox, Mitch Mitchell, Andy Aledort

Voodoo Chile - Kenney Wayne Shepperd, Tommy Shannon, Chris Layton, Noah Hunt

Let The Good Times Roll (pt.3) - Kenney Wayne Shepperd, Tommy Shannon, Mitch Mitchell, Noah Hunt

Hoochie Coochie Man - Buddy Guy, Hubert Sumlin, Buddy Guy Band

5 Long Years - Buddy Guy, Hubert Sumlin, Mick Taylor, Buddy Guy Band

She's 19 Years Old - Buddy Guy, Mick Taylor, Robert Randolph,Billy Coz, Mitch Mitchell

Red House - Buddy Guy, Mick Taylor, Robert Randolph, Billy Cox, Micth Mitchell, Andy Aledort

Purple Haze - Robert Randolph, Kenny Wayne Shepperd, Tommy Shannon, Mitch Mitchell, Chris Layton

Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) - Kenny Wayne Shepperd, Robert Randolph, Tommy Shannon, Chris Layton, Noah Hunt

ENC. Hey Joe - Kenny Wayne Shepperd, Robbie Krieger, Robert Randolph, Mitch Mitchell, Chris Layton, Tommy Shannon
18th October 2007 09:46 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
parmeda wrote:

No blank stare; like Dylan, I was just walkin'. And, yeah, early 40s, definitely.
18th October 2007 09:49 AM
Mel Belli From the WaPost. Funny:

Hendrix Tribute: Not Worth the Experience

By Dave McKenna
Special to The Washington Post
Thursday, October 18, 2007; C13

Mick Taylor must be sick of hearing how quitting the Rolling Stones in the mid-1970s was the worst decision of his rock-and-roll life. Perhaps that's why he agreed to appear on the travesty known as the Experience Hendrix Tour, which kicked off Tuesday at Constitution Hall. If the opening-night show was any indication, the British bluesman can soon make the argument that the Stones' parting was only his second-biggest mistake.

Shoddiness ruled even before the three-hour debacle got started. Signs were posted at the hall's entrances saying Jonny Lang, one of the top draws on the long and distinguished bill, wouldn't be appearing due to "emergency" circumstances. Curiously, Lang's name, unlike the names of several lesser no-shows (Corey Glover among them), wasn't even mentioned in the tour program. Then there were the signs for the tour's primary sponsor, Gibson guitars. Given that Jimi Hendrix was far and away the most famous player of the Stratocaster, an instrument made by Gibson's arch-rival Fender, the pairing seems as wrongheaded as a Richard Petty tribute being sponsored by Toyota.

Despite all the star power, nothing went right musically. The sound was bad beyond belief, as if no sound check or even rehearsal had taken place prior to showtime. Taylor's microphone wasn't working at all when he tried singing "Catfish Blues," a traditional tune covered by Hendrix. The mike was also dead when former Hendrix bassist Billy Cox tried to sing "Red House." Kenny Wayne Shepherd made all the right faces, but his guitar solos were buried so deep in the mix during "I Don't Live Today" that his instrument might as well not have been plugged in.

Drummer Mitch Mitchell and Cox served as Hendrix's last rhythm section, but for whatever reason on this night they kept time worse than a street-corner Rolex. Mitchell was particularly off his game on "All Along the Watchtower," and his bizarre banging left Taylor and former Doors guitarist Robbie Krieger lost and looking like amateurs.

The stage setup was also a mess. Buddy Guy's band equipment took up the center and left portions of the stage, but until Guy was called on, performers were forced to huddle in a small patch on the right side.

Guy's set started with the house lights on and the hall half-empty, since an intermission had been announced about two minutes earlier and then cut short for no obvious reason. Guy, backed by his own band, delivered the only tolerable performance of the very long evening, but his 12-bar blues numbers weren't what the crowd thought they were spending their time and money on.

After Guy played one of his own signature numbers, "My Time After Awhile," a woman sitting up high in the back of the hall screamed simply "Hendrix!" as if she was in pain and angry. Everybody in the venue could relate.
18th October 2007 12:13 PM
sammy davis jr. What a clambake.
18th October 2007 02:46 PM
jpenn11 The Washington Times take, where the reviewer clearly saw the same unrehearsed show as the Post's reviewer, but came away with something different:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20071018/ENTERTAINMENT/110180082/1007

A pix of Taylor with one of those Richards-esque shmattahs around his neck is included with the article.
18th October 2007 02:53 PM
mojoman
quote:
parmeda wrote:

Mel, please tell me you gave these guys the famous Rocks Off " *****BLANK FUCKING STARE***** "

what about guys in their early forties?
18th October 2007 02:54 PM
LadyJane
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:

A pix of Taylor with one of those Richards-esque shmattahs around his neck is included with the article.

LJ.
18th October 2007 02:56 PM
Maxlugar He looks great!
18th October 2007 02:56 PM
mojoman
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

LJ.

shit buddy looks alot better than lil mick
18th October 2007 02:58 PM
Saint Sway wow. What a review. Sounds like a cluster fuck of a show. Glad I didnt go last night.

Was Buddy Miles at this?? Sounds like that crackhead would of fit right in with this mess. Maybe he organized it?

nah, these days he cant barely remember his name
18th October 2007 02:59 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mojoman wrote:

shit buddy looks alot better than lil mick

I asked a friend who went to last nights show how Mick T looked...

he said he looked "like somebody dug up Brian Jones"
18th October 2007 04:17 PM
Stonesdoug The Washington Times reporter is a member of Rocks Off & SHIDOOBEE----sandrew
[Edited by Stonesdoug]
18th October 2007 04:36 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Stonesdoug wrote:
The Washington Times reporter is a member of Rocks Off & SHIDOOBEE----sandrew
[Edited by Stonesdoug]

sandrew is Mel Beli here, no?
18th October 2007 04:37 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Stonesdoug wrote:
The Washington Times reporter is a member of Rocks Off & SHIDOOBEE----sandrew
[Edited by Stonesdoug]

Is he a Moonie too?
18th October 2007 05:10 PM
Mr Jurkka
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
Probably pretty darn good.

Just not as good as this:

God dammet i just noticed how NOOB Jeff Beck really is!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)