ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, NYC January 18, 2006
© and thanks to Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Football Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
29th September 2007 04:50 PM
Some Guy AP
Jets Fan Sues Pats, Seeks $184 Million
Friday September 28, 6:51 pm ET
By Dennis Waszak Jr., AP Sports Writer
Jets Ticket Holder Sues Patriots and Coach Belichick, Seeks Damages of More Than $184 Million

NEW YORK (AP) -- A New York Jets season-ticket holder filed a class-action lawsuit Friday against the New England Patriots and coach Bill Belichick for "deceiving customers."
The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Newark, N.J., by Carl Mayer of Princeton Township, N.J., stems from the Patriots being caught illegally videotaping signals from Jets coaches in New England's 38-14 season-opening win Sept. 9.

"They violated the integrity of the game," Mayer's attorney, Bruce Afran, told The Associated Press. "This is a way of punishing Belichick and the Patriots."

Mayer is seeking more than $184 million in damages for Jets ticket holders.

Belichick was fined $500,000 by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, and the team was fined $250,000 for violating a league rule that prohibits clubs from using a video camera on the sidelines for any purpose -- including recording signals relayed to opposing players on the field. New England also must forfeit a first-round draft pick next year if it makes the playoffs or a second- and third-rounder if it doesn't.

"They were deceiving customers," said the 48-year-old Mayer. "You can't deceive customers."

The lawsuit maintained that because other teams found illegal videotaping by the defendants, Jets ticket holders should be compensated for all games played in Giants Stadium between the Jets and Patriots since Belichick became head coach in 2000.

The two calculated that because customers paid $61.6 million to watch eight "fraudulent" games, they're entitled to triple that amount -- or $184.8 million -- in compensation under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization Act and the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act.

"How many times have the Patriots done this? We find it hard to believe they did it just once," Mayer said. "We just want to get to the truth of the matter of what the Patriots did to the Jets. I think the ticket holders are genuinely concerned about it. This is a type of misrepresentation."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined to comment on the lawsuit.

Mayer and Afran, who consider themselves public interest lawyers, have been thorns in the side of New Jersey politicians for years, filing lawsuits and demanding investigations to advance their grievances. They are well known in the state but generally have had little success in their causes.

Both have lost bids for elected offices, and Mayer once served as a presidential campaign adviser to Ralph Nader.

Their demand in March for a probe of Gov. Jon S. Corzine's gifts to a former girlfriend was rejected by a federal prosecutor. In 2006, a judge vetoed their effort to block Corzine's appointment of Rep. Robert Menendez, D-N.J., to fill the governor's seat in the U.S. Senate.

They also failed to get a court to order a special election to replace Gov. James E. McGreevey when he resigned in 2004.

Now, they're taking on the Patriots.

Their latest lawsuit asserted that the secret videotaping violated the contractual "expectations and rights" of Jets ticket holders "to observe an honest match played in compliance with all laws and regulations."

The actions of Belichick and the Patriots violated federal and state racketeering laws, as well as the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act and New Jersey Deceptive Business Practices Act, according to the lawsuit.

"Having been a lifelong Jets fan, as soon as I heard this, I was completely outraged," Mayer said. "The NFL just slapped them on the wrist. I'm a consumer lawyer, and this is consumer fraud."

Associated Press Writer Jeffrey Gold in Newark, N.J., contributed to this report.

29th September 2007 06:45 PM
Fiji Joe Ahh yeah...Kansas State is whipping the dog dookie out of Texas...which serves em' right for eating dog dookie in the first place

30th September 2007 10:50 AM
robpop It's almost that time.

30th September 2007 10:56 AM
Some Guy Matt Schaub returns to Atlanta today
30th September 2007 11:11 AM
robpop 4:15 Kickoff today. 4:20 kickoff for all my friends to went to the desert for the game. I had to cancel and sell my ticket because of some major shit going down at work. Like I have to be in the office at 4 AM Monday morning major shit going down. I love fucking everybody's day up at work, but then again I'd rather be passed out by a cactus, with some Mexican cutie, with a bottle of tequila and a fish taco.
30th September 2007 11:37 AM
Lord (Hetero)
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Matt Schaub returns to Atlanta today

Normally in a situation like this the player will get booed by the old hometown. I think Matt Schaub might even get applause form the ATL crowd.
30th September 2007 04:06 PM
sirmoonie Congrats, Van Guy. Joe Socks make them say "Vickie who? Arf, arf!"

But now.......its Nation time.
30th September 2007 06:53 PM
Some Guy We got a big win today, we gotta keep that feelin and take it to the Titans next week. Harrington has got moxie.
30th September 2007 07:53 PM
WinslowStud Cleveland 27, Baltimore 13
Cleveland 27, Baltimore 13

Preview - Box Score - Recap

By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
September 30, 2007

AP - Sep 30, 5:04 pm EDT
More Photos

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Picked on for years, the Cleveland Browns finally gave a black eye to one of the NFL's biggest bullies.

Derek Anderson threw two touchdown passes, Jamal Lewis ran for one against his former team and the Browns, considered the 98-pound weaklings of the rugged AFC North, surprised the Baltimore Ravens 27-13 Sunday.

With their second win over a division opponent this month, the Browns (2-2) looked nothing like the inept team that was embarrassed 34-7 in their home opener three weeks ago by Pittsburgh.

Instead, Anderson, who has had a tendency to make poor decisions, made mostly smart ones while throwing two TD passes -- one a 78-yarder to Braylon Edwards -- in the first quarter as the Browns built a 24-6 lead over the stunned Ravens (2-2).

Lewis, released by Baltimore coach Brian Billick in March, got some satisfaction against his former coach and the team he played with for seven seasons. He finished with 64 yards and scored on a disputed 1-yard dive in the second quarter, the first TD rushing given up by the NFL's top run defense this season.

And Cleveland's defense kept Ravens quarterback Steve McNair on his heels and didn't give up a touchdown until the fourth quarter.

September was viewed as crucial for Browns coach Romeo Crennel's job security, and a .500 overall record and a 2-1 mark within the division should end any talk of a coaching change in Cleveland.

And as for changing quarterbacks, Anderson could keep rookie Brady Quinn on the bench longer than anyone thought possible.

The Ravens, who didn't have Pro Bowl tackle Jonathan Ogden for the third straight week, were reeling from the start.

Steve McNair, nursing an injured groin, attempted a career-high 53 passes. McNair threw an interception in the first quarter, and the Browns capitalized on the next play, when Anderson hit a wide-open Edwards to make it 14-0.

Phil Dawson kicked two field goals for the Browns, and everyone was in such a good mood late in the fourth quarter even Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards, a Michigan graduate, took part in rival Ohio State's signature "O-H-I-O" sing-a-long.

Willis McGahee had 104 yards on 14 carries against a Cleveland defense allowing 176 yards per game.

The Ravens had not given up a TD rushing in 2007 before Lewis leaped over the pile from the 1 to give the Browns a 24-3 lead.

The Browns, who didn't wake up until it was too late last week in a loss at Oakland, came out firing.

Kellen Winslow's first catch, a 25-yarder on third down, helped set up a 2-yard TD pass from Anderson to Joe Jurevicius. Winslow played with a partially dislocated left shoulder.

The Ravens drove to Cleveland's 27 on their first possession, but McNair's pass into double coverage was intercepted by Leigh Bodden.

Nine seconds later, the Browns were up 14-0 when Anderson found Edwards alone down the left sideline for a 78-yard TD. Pro Bowl cornerback Chris McAllister inexplicably cut inside as Edwards broke out before hauling in Anderson's toss and sprinting to the end zone untouched.

The Ravens closed within 27-13 on McNair's 4-yard pass to Quinn Sypniewski with 7:14 left. But despite getting the ball back two more times, McNair couldn't put together one of his patented late-game comebacks.

30th September 2007 07:56 PM
WinslowStud oh yeah...how'd the steelers do?

Ha!

Arizona 21, Pittsburgh 14
Arizona 21, Pittsburgh 14

Preview - Box Score - Recap

By BOB BAUM
September 30, 2007

AP - Sep 30, 6:45 pm EDT
More Photos

GLENDALE, Ariz. (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Steelers were beaten Sunday at their own game by their old offensive coordinator and might-have-been head coach.

Rookie Steve Breaston returned a punt 73 yards for a touchdown and the Arizona Cardinals' defense shut down Pittsburgh's high-scoring offense most of the day to hand the Steelers their first loss, 21-14.

Breaston's burst up the middle for the go-ahead score early in the fourth quarter was the Cardinals' first punt return for a touchdown in 14 years.

The Cardinals (2-2) ended Willie Parker's string of four consecutive 100-yard rushing games, limiting him to 37 yards in 18 carries.

But Pittsburgh rallied behind Ben Roethlisberger, whose second TD pass to Santonio Holmes, a 7-yarder, cut it to 21-14 with 1:49 to play.

However, Larry Fitzgerald recovered the onside kick attempt for Arizona. The Steelers got the ball one last time at their 9 with 46 seconds to play. They made it to the 40, but Calvin Pace and Darnell Dockett sacked Roethlisberger, then Ralph Brown intercepted to seal the victory.

Arizona's Adrian Wilson also intercepted Roethlisberger's throw in the end zone in the third quarter to stop Pittsburgh on third-and-goal at the 2.

The Steelers (3-1) had scored 97 points in their first three games.

Arizona first-year coach Ken Whisenhunt and top assistant Russ Grimm both were leading contenders to replace Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh after last season. Whisenhunt was the Steelers' offensive coordinator and Grimm was the assistant head coach and offensive line coach at the time.

Instead the job went to outsider Mike Tomlin. Whisenhunt and Grimm headed for the desert. There were hugs all around before the game, then came a hard-hitting defensive fight.

Whisenhunt's two-quarterback approach worked well enough. Kurt Warner replaced starter Matt Leinart and, running a no-huddle offense, directed the tying touchdown drive in the third quarter. Leinart returned in the fourth quarter and led Arizona on a 13-play, 82-yard touchdown drive capped by Edgerrin James' 2-yard scoring run that made it 21-7 with 4:14 to play.

Leinart threw 38 yards to Fitzgerald on the first play of his return. Fitzgerald caught 11 passes for 123 yards.

The Steelers' first-quarter touchdown came on third-and-26 when Roethlisberger threw 43 yards to Holmes, who had six catches for 128 yards.

Both teams were without top receivers because of injuries, Arizona's Anquan Boldin and Pittsburgh's Hines Ward. The Steelers lost defensive starters Troy Palamalu (abdomen) and Casey Hampton (hamstring) early in the third quarter.

30th September 2007 08:16 PM
robpop OK Browns boy. Steeler lose, Browns win. I'm sure they have not had this much fun at Digital Dawgs since Saint Sway busted his nuts all over their board looking for you.

30th September 2007 08:45 PM
WinslowStud sway's tirade...still legendary in cleveland. similar to jerry ford falling off the plane. similar to dubya's "won't get fooled again" speech. folks, it is similar to jim marshall running the wrong way to score a touchdown.

1st October 2007 08:42 AM
Some Guy Steelers lost?? How???
1st October 2007 09:25 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Steelers lost?? How???

Not quite sure. I had to be at god-for-fucking-saken work all day and missed the game, which was acually televised in my area. As payback to god, I'm going to fuck around all day today surfing Steeler news, and get to the bottom of this catastrophe.
1st October 2007 09:34 AM
Nellcote We have a very tough opponent this evening.
They have an explosive offense.
We must be able to contain Carlson Palmer to move forward.
1st October 2007 09:50 AM
Some Guy
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Not quite sure. I had to be at god-for-fucking-saken work all day and missed the game, which was acually televised in my area. As payback to god, I'm going to fuck around all day today surfing Steeler news, and get to the bottom of this catastrophe.

keep me posted...
1st October 2007 09:57 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

keep me posted...

Big day Tater?
1st October 2007 10:01 AM
Some Guy
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Big day Tater?

you know it.
1st October 2007 01:38 PM
robpop
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Don't dig very deep. Troy Polamalu injured. Denfense not the same. Offensive line sucked. And some out coaching by our old coaches. The quterback tandem worked well for the Cards. Do not read very far into Ben's numbers. He had no time to throw the ball. Also he escaped a ton of sure sacks, he's back to that elusived son of a bitch he was before he headbutted that windshield. He played a decent game although the numbers do not show it. It was a tough loss, but you'll have that during the season. No need to panic.
1st October 2007 02:10 PM
Nellcote I always liked the name Atumalafala better then Palamalu.
1st October 2007 02:12 PM
robpop
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
We got a big win today, we gotta keep that feelin and take it to the Titans next week. Harrington has got moxie.

New Orleans is making a full recovery from Katrina. Almost back to normal.

[Edited by robpop]
1st October 2007 02:15 PM
robpop
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
I always liked the name Atumalafala better then Palamalu.

If Fu could have played more than five minutes without getting injured, Jerome Bettis would not have had the career that he did. Fu was that damn good.
1st October 2007 07:28 PM
Fiji Joe Sweet sassa frassa! How bout' that Tony Romo? He might not be the best QB in the league, but he's by far the most fun to watch...how so many teams passed on him is beyond me...watching him play, I'm not sure what skill the scouts figured he was lacking

1st October 2007 08:15 PM
robpop
quote:
Fiji Joe wrote:
Sweet sassa frassa! How bout' that Tony Romo? He might not be the best QB in the league, but he's by far the most fun to watch...how so many teams passed on him is beyond me...watching him play, I'm not sure what skill the scouts figured he was lacking

Looking good.
2nd October 2007 05:57 AM
Nellcote We played a good game.
Good in all special teams, offense, defense.
We still have some work to do in some areas.
Our red zone defense needs some tweaking.
We will get Rodney back this week, that will help.
Randy is Randy, he's a special player.
Sammy Morris had a great night.
We've not done anything yet.
We've not won any conference championships.
One game at a time.
Time to put this one behind us, focus on the Browns.
The Browns are a good, explosive team.
They can score a lot of points quickly.
They have beaten some good teams.
We'll take today off, get back to work tomorrow.

2nd October 2007 07:49 AM
PartyDoll MEG OK..I admit I did not stay up and watch Monday nite football last night.

I read your blurb, Nelly and I wondered if the Bunguls had actually beat the Pats..

I should have known better..is that a complacent gloat
2nd October 2007 08:36 AM
Nellcote They played lots from Magic all game!
2nd October 2007 08:42 AM
Some Guy The Patriots scare me, I watched the game from under my bed last night.
2nd October 2007 08:45 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
They played lots from Magic all game!

Oh stop!!!!

You Killing me!!!!
2nd October 2007 09:03 AM
Nellcote Quoted for truth.
Livin in the Future, Radio Nowhere, at least two times each.
Bruce will probably play The Razor next year.
I feel a tailgate party coming on of epic proportions!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)