ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Madison Square Garden, NYC January 18, 2006
© and thanks to Throbby!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Football Appreciation Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
13th September 2007 07:31 PM
Nellcote $500,000 fine
Two draft picks, probably a 1 and a 3
13th September 2007 07:43 PM
chevysales
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
$500,000 fine
Two draft picks, probably a 1 and a 3

first day draft pick and 3 game suspension...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/09/13/belichick/index.html

NFL weighs Belichick suspension
Patriots likely to lose first-day draft pick for spying
Posted: Thursday September 13, 2007 5:46PM; Updated: Thursday September 13, 2007 5:56PM

The Patriots' resiliency will be tested if the NFL forces coach Bill Belichick to leave the sideline for the next few weeks.
AP

By Don Banks and Peter King, SI.com

One of the disciplinary options that the NFL is considering against Patriots head coach Bill Belichick for New England's illegal videotaping of New York Jets defensive coaches on Sunday includes both the stripping of a first-day 2008 draft pick from the Patriots -- perhaps a first rounder -- and a suspension of either two or three games for Belichick, SI.com has learned.

NFL sources said league commissioner Roger Goodell has not yet decided Belichick's punishment, and that there are still several options, varying in severity, under consideration. Goodell is still expected to announce his decision on Friday, sources said.

One disciplinary option ruled out by Goodell is the forfeiture of the Patriots' 38-14 win over the Jets on Sunday at Giants Stadium, a source said. An NFL-assigned security official stopped Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella during the first half of the game and confiscated the camera he allegedly used to film the signals of the Jets defensive coaches.

According to a source, the league will definitely take a first-day draft pick away from the Patriots, perhaps a first-round selection, the most valuable annual commodity any team owns in terms of replenishing its roster.

In addition, Goodell is seriously considering a multiple-game suspension for Belichick, which would bar him from attending New England's games or practices, and force him to stay way from the Patriots' team complex in Foxboro, Mass., for the duration of the suspension. In addition, Belichick would forfeit any paychecks he was due while the suspension was in effect.

The NFL is said to be trying to balance out the punishment equitably between the Patriots as an organization and Belichick personally. The league's rationale behind not just stripping New England of multiple draft picks and foregoing a suspension is the recognition that Belichick could leave the organization at some point in the near future, and thus not suffer the full consequences of the penalty as much as the franchise and the next Patriots coach would.

By suspending Belichick, the NFL would ensure that he pays a heavy toll as well for the finding that he oversaw the illegal filming of opposing coaches' signals. Any suspension that Belichick would receive would likely not begin immediately, and thus wouldn't jeopardize his presence at the Patriots' game Sunday night against visiting San Diego -- a rematch of New England's AFC divisional round upset of the Chargers in January.

The Patriots next week will be preparing for a Week 3 visit from Buffalo. New England plays at Cincinnati in Week 4, and home against Cleveland in Week 5.

In his first year on the job as commissioner, Goodell has built a reputation for meting out stiff disciplinary measures, and for his oft-stated sensitivity toward anything that challenges the integrity of the game and the league.

The Patriots' history in matters dealing with video-taped subterfuge for purposes of gaining a competitive edge likely will increase the severity of any potential punishment handed down by Goodell. New England last year was reportedly the impetus of a sternly written memo from the league office to all teams, reminding them that it was illegal for any club official to bring a video recording device into the press box, video box, or onto the field for the purposes of taping an opponent's signals or play-calling gestures from the sideline.

In addition, Green Bay officials have said that before a Packers-Patriots game last November at Lambeau Field, they removed Estrella from the sideline after he was seen carrying a video camera and shooting footage of the Packers defensive coaches. The Packers, however, did not confiscate the camera.

13th September 2007 07:49 PM
chevysales
quote:
robpop wrote:

I don't know Keef. Maybe. maybe not. We will never know just what Gabe Rivera would have been. He was labeled as the next Joe Greene. Who knows? He may have been another Huey Richardson. As for Marino. he may have been great here, but the best thing to happen for him was leaving Pittsburgh. We all heard the Kordell (Queerdell) rumors, but Marino had some nasty ones floating around the Burgh will at Pitt.

But...We'll never know.

enlighten us on some un substantiated rumors of coke use???

after all then like now people always wanted to take someone better than them down and he had a bad senior year after a great sugar bowl junior year and some idiot floated that out there and NO ONE could prove it...come on in college yet it wasn't proven? whays that you say???

cause it wasn't true.

but tell me your a burg guy what was/is the one thing rooney always said to dan??? his biggest mistake for 17 years was not taking him.

13th September 2007 08:00 PM
Nellcote This, from the local station which has a 30 min show every week, featuring Coach B, was all part of the 5-630P news tonight. I thought for certain a suspension was in order...

WCVB Exclusive: NFL To Fine Belichick, Pats
Coach To Pay $500,000

POSTED: 5:47 pm EDT September 13, 2007
UPDATED: 7:20 pm EDT September 13, 2007

BOSTON -- WCVB has learned the NFL will punish the New England Patriots and the team's coach, Bill Belichick, after the team got caught taping signals during the Jets game, sources confirmed Thursday.

SportsCenter 5's Mike Lynch reported that a decision will be announced Friday, but WCVB sources have said the NFL will fine Belichick $500,000. The fine has to be paid by Belichick himself and cannot be paid by the team's owner, Robert Kraft.

In addition to the fine, the Patriots must forfeit two high draft choices. They could be as high as a first- and a third-round draft choice, sources said.

A letter will be faxed to Belichick telling him of the NFL's decision, and he will not be required to appear in person at the NFL headquarters in New York City.

The controversy started when a Patriots cameraman was caught videotaping a New York Jets coach's signals during last weekend's season-opening game.

In a news conference Wednesday, Belichick issued a terse written statement before his regular weekly team news conference saying, "Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league's decision, I will have further comment."

Belichick indicated he may have misinterpreted the National Football League's rules regarding recording games.

"Earlier this week, I spoke with Commissioner (Roger) Goodell about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules. At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling," Belichick said.

The Patriots were accused of spying during Sunday's game against the New York Jets by Jets coach Eric Mangini. NFL security officials confiscated a video camera from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the sideline Sunday.

13th September 2007 08:37 PM
robpop
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:

Nellie, I worried if the Pats are even going to suiting up next year. This is Enronian in scope, trenchant and willfull avarice.

I am in Canada now, and I won't be back until Tuesday. I'm trying to see if there is a way I can watch the game in Canada. Fire the nation up. Keep the others in check. If any Buffalo fans (if there are any...I only have met one in my entire life) start any shit, just remind them of the greatest player to wear a Bills uniform.

"If it doesn't fit you must acquit"
13th September 2007 08:52 PM
sirmoonie They got off easy. Ties to the Bush Geekian White House will do that for you.

A mauve cloud looms large over America's scond best game. Negroes take to the streets in a show of support for The Nation.
13th September 2007 08:55 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
robpop wrote:

If any Buffalo fans (if there are any...I only have met one in my entire life) start any shit, just remind them of the greatest player to wear a Bills uniform.

Unfortunately, that guy might be the greatest player to wear any uniform. Blessed Jesus as a baby, that scumbag could scamper like no man.
13th September 2007 09:09 PM
robpop Moonie, I would have to agree there; but look at our pick. The first four picks of the '69 NFL draft.

1 (1) BUF O.J. Simpson USC
2 (2) ATL George Kunz Notre Dame
3 (3) PHI Leroy Keyes Purdue
4 (4) PIT Joe Greene North Texas State

I think we did ok there. That may be the best offensive player and best defensive player of all time taken in the first four picks of the same draft.

Check out this steal we got in the 10th round.

1 (235) BUF Ron Baines Montana
2 (236) PHI Sonny Wade Emory & Henry
3 (237) ATL Jeff Stanciel Mississippi Valley
4 (238) PIT L.C. Greenwood Arkansas AM&N

That dude a 10th round pick? There are not even ten rounds today. Before 1980, nobody, NOBODY had an eye for talent like Noll and his staff.
13th September 2007 09:21 PM
robpop
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
This, from the local station which has a 30 min show every week, featuring Coach B, was all part of the 5-630P news tonight. I thought for certain a suspension was in order...

WCVB Exclusive: NFL To Fine Belichick, Pats
Coach To Pay $500,000

POSTED: 5:47 pm EDT September 13, 2007
UPDATED: 7:20 pm EDT September 13, 2007

BOSTON -- WCVB has learned the NFL will punish the New England Patriots and the team's coach, Bill Belichick, after the team got caught taping signals during the Jets game, sources confirmed Thursday.

SportsCenter 5's Mike Lynch reported that a decision will be announced Friday, but WCVB sources have said the NFL will fine Belichick $500,000. The fine has to be paid by Belichick himself and cannot be paid by the team's owner, Robert Kraft.

In addition to the fine, the Patriots must forfeit two high draft choices. They could be as high as a first- and a third-round draft choice, sources said.

A letter will be faxed to Belichick telling him of the NFL's decision, and he will not be required to appear in person at the NFL headquarters in New York City.

The controversy started when a Patriots cameraman was caught videotaping a New York Jets coach's signals during last weekend's season-opening game.

In a news conference Wednesday, Belichick issued a terse written statement before his regular weekly team news conference saying, "Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players. Following the league's decision, I will have further comment."

Belichick indicated he may have misinterpreted the National Football League's rules regarding recording games.

"Earlier this week, I spoke with Commissioner (Roger) Goodell about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules. At this point, we have not been notified of the league's ruling," Belichick said.

The Patriots were accused of spying during Sunday's game against the New York Jets by Jets coach Eric Mangini. NFL security officials confiscated a video camera from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the sideline Sunday.

Its official Coach Billy pays $500,000
Pats pay $250,000
Pats lose first round pick if they make the playoffs.
If they do not they lose second and third round picks.

13th September 2007 09:30 PM
robpop This just in on the Barry Bonds perjury case....If Barry breaks 800 home runs before he retires he must give up 400 home runs and pay a 2 million dollar fine. If he does not break 800 home runs before he retires he must com back to Pittsburgh and donate $15,000 to United Negro College fund.
14th September 2007 01:19 AM
sirmoonie What a fucking joke - Belicheck's career should be over. Now they have the option of playing which draft pick(s) they want to lose - as if there wasn't enough management incentive to lose in the NFL come December.

Pats go 8-8 this year - why? Because front office chooses to do that instead of going 10-6, which is all they could have done after the Dick Tracy cams got removed.
14th September 2007 06:12 AM
Nellcote Moonie, smell the coffee...

Pats get to playoffs, they giveup # 1
The miss playoffs, they give up 2 & 3
$500K to Coach B
$250K to Kraft

It's ovah.
Red Meat to the team.
Bring on the games!
14th September 2007 06:25 AM
lotsajizz the cheaters got off easy..Belichek should be banned and the team should be made to forfeit the game they got busted in...as well as NO draft picks next year
14th September 2007 09:00 AM
gimmekeef On with the games.....This mini scandal is over...Pats bolw out Chargers on Sunday (Gates may be out for SD)....Easy money folks....grab the cash.....
14th September 2007 09:01 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
On with the games.....This mini scandal is over...Pats bolw out Chargers on Sunday (Gates may be out for SD)....Easy money folks....grab the cash.....Called my bookie to bet Cincy over the Browns...fucker hung up the phone

14th September 2007 10:28 AM
Nellcote The summary here, especially at the end, is the definitive word on this matter.

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=1634
14th September 2007 12:30 PM
chevysales
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
The summary here, especially at the end, is the definitive word on this matter.

http://coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=1634

got off way too easy...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/09/14/belichick.reax.ap/index.html

Not enough
Belichick nets lenient punishment from Goodell, NFL
Posted: Friday September 14, 2007 1:19AM; Updated: Friday September 14, 2007 2:04AM

By videotaping signals against the Mangini-led Jets, the Pats were essentially daring league officials to catch them in the act.
Robert E. Klein/Icon SMI

I think the Patriots and Bill Belichick got off lucky.

What Roger Goodell did in penalizing Belichick was significant, but he did not ban Belichick from coaching for even a week for repeatedly cheating -- after being warned 12 months ago to not videotape other teams' coaches signaling in plays from the sidelines.

When Dallas assistant coach Wade Wilson got suspended five games and fined $100,000 this month for using the banned substance HGH to treat impotency, Goodell told him coaches have to be held to a higher standard.

Belichick was found guilty by Judge Goodell of "a calculated and deliberate attempt'' to evade the spirit and letter of the NFL rules. You tell me: Finding one of the coaching giants of the game guilty of cheating, then fining him 12.5 percent of his salary, taking away one of his five first-day draft choices next April (assuming New England makes the playoffs) and not suspending him ... is that holding this coach to a higher standard?

Now, about Belichick's reaction. An odd mix of mea culpa with too much justification for the cheating, I thought. To me, there's something almost 1972-Nixonian about what Belichick did; and just before midnight Thursday, a longtime NFL employee echoed that to me. "Most of the people I've talked to this week have been mystified by this, like I am,'' this club official said. "It's like, Why did Nixon need Watergate? He was going to win the '72 election in a landslide anyway. And why does this guy with such a great team need to be doing penny-ante stuff against the rules anyway?''

Particularly in New York. How brazen, how cocky, how untouchable, how arrogant must he have thought of himself. Coaching against a man who knew all his tricks -- former Pats aide Eric Mangini -- who KNEW to be looking for the video spy, Belichick was almost asking to get caught.

As for Belichick's teflon reaction, remember the very well-publicized warning all teams got last September from the league. "Video taping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game," said the warning from league vice president Ray Anderson. In the league's rule book, on page 105, the video ban is as clear as day. "No video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game,'' the rules state.

Belichick said in his Thursday night statement: "Part of my job as head coach is to ensure that our football operations are conducted in compliance of the league rules and all accepted interpretations of them. My interpretation of a rule in the Constitution and Bylaws was incorrect.''

You know what that is? It's a classic deflection by Belichick. Instead of simply admitting he broke the rules and saying he deserves to be censured, he throws the changeup and tries to smokescreen us. The "interpretation'' of the rule was in error. That's an insult to Goodell, and to every fan who loves either the Patriots, this game or both.

Goodell slapped Belichick hard, but not hard enough. A suspension should have accompanied the loss of the top draft choice.

14th September 2007 12:47 PM
sirmoonie Thats a friggin' joke. The TEAM lost hardly anything.

Haul every cameraman and coach on that team for the last 5 years in front of a NFL panel and grill the hell out of them. How long has this been going on? How was it done?What games? Who's decision to do it? What effect did it have on games? Did anyone question the practice? What happened?

That is just absurd.
14th September 2007 01:18 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Thats a friggin' joke.

Did anyone question the practice? What happened?

That is just absurd.

14th September 2007 02:05 PM
Nellcote We are done talking about the incident.
The statement has been released, it speaks for itself.
We are getting ready for the Chargers.
They are a great team, play well in all three phases of the game. It will be a tough game Sunday night.
Any other questions?
Thanks for your time.

14th September 2007 03:00 PM
Fiji Joe "If the Patriots Did It"...By Bill Belichick

http://www3.iath.virginia.edu/spirit_trouts/mnookin/simp.avi
14th September 2007 07:05 PM
Some Guy Falcons will suck on Sun.
14th September 2007 07:43 PM
LadyJane Bills will get their asses whooped by the Steelers.

Team in out of focus because of the Everett injury (a remarkable story) and they basically suck. Losman is a horrible QB.

LJ.
14th September 2007 08:47 PM
Some Guy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Bills will get their asses whooped by the Steelers.

Team in out of focus because of the Everett injury (a remarkable story) and they basically suck. Losman is a horrible QB.

LJ.

how is he doing?
15th September 2007 08:46 PM
LadyJane
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

how is he doing?

Actually he doing well.

First reports were that he would be a quadriplegic.

However he is now off a ventilator and moving arms and legs voluntarily. He is still in intensive care and has a long road to recovery but he MAY walk again.

Credit has to be given to the team's orthopedic surgeon who was on the field and immediately began treatment based on the research done at The Miami Project, started by Nick Buonicanti after his son Mark sustained the same injury.

Incredible.

Here's a link to a good story.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we...61F8&p_docnum=6

LJ.
16th September 2007 10:11 PM
sweetcharmedlife 49ers 2-0
16th September 2007 10:42 PM
robpop Charlie Weis is showing what a football offensive genius he is at Notre Dame, without the aid of cheating.

18th September 2007 01:44 PM
Nellcote
18th September 2007 02:17 PM
gimmekeef Here are some random thoughts after 12.5% of the regular season:

*Pats are now even money to win it all
*Colts move ahead of Chargers as prime threat
*Overhyped Bush and Saints are Aints
*Some defensive genius Marvin Lewis is
*McNabb to Chicago in a trade....could happen
*Tomlin was right choice but Pitt has work to do
*Coughlin is dead man walking for Gints
*Charlie Weiss is kickin himself for not stayin put
*So is Romeo Crennel
*Whens Roger Goodie Goodie gonna improve refs(or anything)
*Denvers way over rated Cowboys too
*Miami gave Joey Porter $32 mill?
*Texans may be for real
*Bill Cowher is lickin his chops and will break the bank
*Injuries will decide the playoffs
*Theres still 87.5% of the regular season left
18th September 2007 05:45 PM
sirmoonie Falcons to sign Leftwich? He ain't no Joey!

Steelers blow doors. Its Nation Time.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)