ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1978 Mr. Robert Altman
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Vs. Undercover Return to archive
November 4th, 2004 01:12 PM
Stones Has Keith Richards ever said why he does not like the song Undercover ? The song and the whole album it is on is one of my favorites.
November 4th, 2004 01:34 PM
Saint Sway really?

he doesnt like it? never heard that

also surprised its one of your favs. Some great stuff on there for sure though. I love Too Tough, Pretty Beat Up and Feel On Baby
November 4th, 2004 01:43 PM
Stones I read, I think on this site, that Keith said there was no way Undercover would be on Forty Licks. I am thinking his dislike for the song-if true-is the reason they play it only a few times each tour and then it is gone from the setlist.
November 4th, 2004 01:46 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Stones wrote:
Has Keith Richards ever said why he does not like the song Undercover ? The song and the whole album it is on is one of my favorites.

I think his stated reason is that it's "too disco" and/or too dance oriented.

The real reason is that he had nothing to do with it, writing-wise.

I recall reading a copy of Musician Magazine or something from back in the day where he talked it up a lot, particularly the "rather hotter" 12" mix. In fact, in '83 that was what he seemed to be raving about. Strange that Keith would praise the 12", which is much more dance oriented, over the album mix, which has always sounded like it has guitars to me.

Anyway, heaven forbid the Rolling Stones ever be held accountable for stuff they've said in the past.

Despite Keith's kvetching, Undercover of the Night is a great song with superior lyrics, a cool bass line and killer guitars, particularly Keith's one note solo in the middle.
November 4th, 2004 01:53 PM
lucasd4 I've always loved this song....since the day radio first started playing it on Halloween Day in '83...the 12" version is really good too...the guitars on the intro sound much fuller...like that fat sound on Start Me Up...

quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

I think his stated reason is that it's "too disco" and/or too dance oriented.

The real reason is that he had nothing to do with it, writing-wise.

I recall reading a copy of Musician Magazine or something from back in the day where he talked it up a lot, particularly the "rather hotter" 12" mix. In fact, in '83 that was what he seemed to be raving about. Strange that Keith would praise the 12", which is much more dance oriented, over the album mix, which has always sounded like it has guitars to me.

Anyway, heaven forbid the Rolling Stones ever be held accountable for stuff they've said in the past.

Despite Keith's kvetching, Undercover of the Night is a great song with superior lyrics, a cool bass line and killer guitars, particularly Keith's one note solo in the middle.

November 4th, 2004 01:57 PM
luridchief It's one of the best singles post-1981. ALL the singles off of that album were great, IMHO.
November 4th, 2004 01:58 PM
KeepRigid I used to have that issue, which prompted me to seek out the elusive 12" mix. I was expecting some really crazy shit with the timpani, but there wasn't that much difference, really. Anyway, Keith thought Mick was taking the safe route and going with a version that was too radio-friendly.

It's a lot like the dispute they had over Might As Well Get Juiced- which, come to think of it, is another one they don't seem eager to perform live.
November 4th, 2004 01:59 PM
Monkey Woman I like that one a lot too. On the last tour, it was pretty effective. Too bad they didn't play it more.

Yeah, as Nasty points out, Keith sounded proud of it and of the album when it was released. As he should, between Mick's lyrics and tune and Keith's guitar work, it's a killer.
November 4th, 2004 07:02 PM
mickjaggersgrl
quote:
Stones wrote:
Has Keith Richards ever said why he does not like the song Undercover ? The song and the whole album it is on is one of my favorites.

really??
November 4th, 2004 09:03 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Stones wrote:

No, he only said this about the song:
"Undercover of the Night, Emotional Rescue, these are all Mick's calculations about the market. And they're not the best records we've made. See, Mick listens to too much bad shit."
- Keith Richards, 1997

From this words we can guess that Undercover and Emotional Rescue not are Keith's fav. albums.