ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1978 Mr. Robert Altman
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Alfie director talks sexism, sexiness -- and Mick (NSC) Return to archive
November 4th, 2004 09:53 AM
Monkey Woman In a discussion about his movie "Alfie", Charles Shyer had quite a lot to say about the way women "continue to be mistreated and objectified in popular culture and much of society". He also shared his admiration for Mick:

quote:
Another way to make the new "Alfie" stand alone as a great film is to have really great music throughout. Mick Jagger monopolizes the soundtrack, giving it a specific sound quality and attitude.

"I think Mick Jagger has a '60s vibe, which I love. And I think he epitomizes it, although I think these songs are much more modern. I like him being the voice of Alfie. I think it's very proper," Shyer said. "He's been involved with the movie for a long time, and I think he was able to capture something that helped the narrative in a way that's indefinable and immeasurable."

Link to the whole article: http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/98/53/04_6.html
November 4th, 2004 10:40 AM
Madafaka You're my Alfie's reporter!
November 4th, 2004 12:21 PM
Saint Sway "I think Mick Jagger has a '60s vibe, which I love. And I think he epitomizes it, although I think these songs are much more modern. I like him being the voice of Alfie. I think it's VERY PROPER," Shyer said.

the way that Mick's voice has begun to sound more and more "proper" over recent years - starting most noticeably on the Stripped cd - just drives me nuts. I cant take it!

I miss the old raw, throaty, gregarious sound he used to sing with. I dont want Mick to sound "proper". I want him to sound warbly and UNDECIPHERABLE

you know... like "I wuzzzzzz bawwwwwnn innah cross fyyyyyyyy hurro caaaaaane ann nigh howwwwwwlllled at ma mahh inna poh ann raaaaaiiin"
November 4th, 2004 01:41 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
the way that Mick's voice has begun to sound more and more "proper" over recent years - starting most noticeably on the Stripped cd - just drives me nuts. I cant take it!

I miss the old raw, throaty, gregarious sound he used to sing with. I dont want Mick to sound "proper". I want him to sound warbly and UNDECIPHERABLE

Yeah, time flies and never comes back :/

I'll catch some music while it lasts...

P.S. Muchas gracias, Madafaka!
November 4th, 2004 01:48 PM
not bound to please
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
"I think Mick Jagger has a '60s vibe, which I love. And I think he epitomizes it, although I think these songs are much more modern. I like him being the voice of Alfie. I think it's VERY PROPER," Shyer said.

you know... like "I wuzzzzzz bawwwwwnn innah cross fyyyyyyyy hurro caaaaaane ann nigh howwwwwwlllled at ma mahh inna poh ann raaaaaiiin"

Proper?

He sounds like an old man doing a Mariah Carey impression.

Not sure what's proper about that.

November 4th, 2004 01:49 PM
not bound to please oh yeah - and Alfie had a cockney accent...
November 4th, 2004 02:04 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
P.S. Muchas gracias, Madafaka!

Pas de quoi, Monkey Woman!
November 4th, 2004 08:49 PM
Soldatti Thanks for the post MW.