ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1978 Mr. Robert Altman
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RollingStone review of Live Licks: 4 stars Return to archive
November 3rd, 2004 11:22 PM
Soldatti The Rolling Stones

Live Licks (US Version)

Originally released: 2004
EMI Recorded Music

I once asked guitarist Keith Richards why most Rolling Stones live records are such a drag, never as hot and vivid as the shows I've seen. Even the best of the lot, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, was punched up with overdubs. "You gotta be there," he said with that pirate's laugh. "When you know you're recording, you can always guarantee that the Stones will not deliver." This two-disc spawn from their 2002-03 tour breaks that jinx. You may not need this if you own last year's set of full-show DVDs, Four Flicks, but Live Licks is the Stones' first live album since Ya-Ya's to earn a spot next to my best soundboard and broadcast boots. One good reason: a bright, hard mix that nails the Stones' matured vigor onstage, even in the warhorses packed on Disc One.
Richards' droning Telecaster clang opens "Street Fighting Man" like swordplay, and Mick Jagger sings the chorus at the top of his range with astounding strength. Charlie Watts pushes the beat in "It's Only Rock n' Roll" with pinpoint impatience; Ron Wood's lap-steel screams turn up the barn-dance delirium in "Happy." Twelve more good reasons: the covers and rarely aired album tracks on Disc Two. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" was a highlight of every fortieth-anniversary show I saw -- Watts peppering Richards' tumbling riff with gunfire rimshots; Jagger blowing sharp, modal harp. And "Worried About You," a forgotten slice of R&B melodrama from Tattoo You, driven to tears here by Wood's chugging guitar and Jagger's heated falsetto vocal, proves that the Stones, under the lights and at this advanced date, can still improve on even their best studio work.

DAVID FRICKE
(Posted Nov 25, 2004)

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/_/id/6570193/therollingstones?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=triple1
November 3rd, 2004 11:31 PM
Soldatti Sorry Bob, I didn't see your post.
November 4th, 2004 08:17 AM
Jair Well, after give 5 stars to Goddess in The Doorway, what we can expect from RS magazine?
November 4th, 2004 09:48 AM
Monkey Woman They also have some nice things to say about the Alfie soundtrack, of course

quote:
The only touch of Caine's brutal sexiness is in the thrilling songs by Mick Jagger and Dave Stewart that should win Sir Mick his first Oscar.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/_/id/6153317?

Another talk of Oscars for Mick... Will the second time work?
November 4th, 2004 10:35 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Jair wrote:
Well, after give 5 stars to Goddess in The Doorway, what we can expect from RS magazine?

maybe this is their way of telling us that "Live Licks" falls a full star short of ever being considered as good of an album as the legendary "Goddess in the Doorway"

then again, no Stones album will ever quite live up to the majestic tracks that Jagger laid down on Goddess
November 4th, 2004 11:28 AM
jb
quote:
Jair wrote:
Well, after give 5 stars to Goddess in The Doorway, what we can expect from RS magazine?

lol
November 4th, 2004 08:46 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Jair wrote:

A 6 starts for the next Mick's solo album?