ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1978 Mr. Robert Altman
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: LIVE LICKS - Rocks Off Comment... Return to archive
November 3rd, 2004 01:46 AM
Madafaka I could not fall asleep and I started thinking a lot of things.
Probably it's an honoring to our msg board that the line "The sunshine bores the daylights out of me..." was editted out of Rocks Off... Like a secret message. Like a kind of gift!

Ok! Better do I go away to sleeping, not?
Thank you for reading my night stupidities
Until tomorrow!
November 3rd, 2004 03:41 AM
IanBillen
I didn't want to say anything for, or against Live Licks until I heard the songs and the albums in their entirety with my very own two ears.

I have: Today I went out and purchased Live Licks as I do generally with any brand new official Stones release on the first day.

Verdict: I really think it got a bad rap. I will be the first to say the edit in Rocks Off was totally uncalled for and for diehards that know the song inside out it is an embarrasement.

However,
For folks that don't know the song that well may not even at really notice anything at all. For folks that do not know the song they will notice nothing.

This album, whether anyone here would like to like to admit it or not, shows Mick Jagger at his career very best vocally. Mick's vocals are so damn strong. He shouts when he should, he sings when he should, and he shows so much more range than any-other live album. There can be no argument that Jagger shines on Live Licks. I didn't expect the range and good old Jagger voice in raw form as I heard, but it was totally all there and then some.

Guitars sound good. Also I like the fact that the tempo and way songs like Start Me Up, YCAGWYW, Can't you Hear Me Knocking, and some others are changed up. It really takes away from the monotony of YCAGWYW or Start Me Up.
Keith says they never play a song the same twice and this time that shows through.

Over-all I like this Stones album because it has a seventies type feel.

Also note that Mick was only on harmonica on one song. Also taking away from the Stones Live album monotony.

I think it is a keeper and the Stones sound more natural than a long, long, time.

Geeze everyone made it seem as if it was a peice of garbage.

Ian

November 3rd, 2004 08:53 AM
glencar Why the edit? Baffling. It is obviously a cut in the middle of the song.
November 3rd, 2004 09:21 AM
Gimme Shelter I noticed that edit in Rocks Off right away. Other than that, I love the album. By the way I got the topless cover.
November 3rd, 2004 05:12 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Gimme Shelter wrote:
I noticed that edit in Rocks Off right away. Other than that, I love the album. By the way I got the topless cover.

Argentinian edition has the topless cover too.
November 3rd, 2004 05:13 PM
Madafaka
quote:
glencar wrote:
Why the edit? Baffling. It is obviously a cut in the middle of the song.

Yeah, is too obviuos!
November 3rd, 2004 05:21 PM
Monkey Woman I tried to find the CD at the nearest Fnac yesterday but to no avail. I did notice the Four Flicks DVD pack was still prominently displayed... They must be selling a lot of those.
November 3rd, 2004 08:32 PM
Soldatti I didn't buy it yet but a friend already got it, the Rocks Off edit is AMAZING, very vary bad. HTW, BS, PIB and Neighbours (I remeber this tracks only, sorry) had cuts too.
The booklet part is another thing: IS THE SAME STYLE THAT ON FORTY LICKS! Same style, Same lyrics style, the tracks on the last page are on the same way and the credits are wrong too, Mick is credited on vocals, percussion and harmonica but he played guitar on WTWCD. Ronnie played piano on YDHTMI too and BTW all the pics are from the Four Flicks DVD.
November 3rd, 2004 11:34 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I didn't buy it yet but a friend already got it, the Rocks Off edit is AMAZING, very vary bad. HTW, BS, PIB and Neighbours (I remeber this tracks only, sorry) had cuts too.
The booklet part is another thing: IS THE SAME STYLE THAT ON FORTY LICKS! Same style, Same lyrics style, the tracks on the last page are on the same way and the credits are wrong too, Mick is credited on vocals, percussion and harmonica but he played guitar on WTWCD. Ronnie played piano on YDHTMI too and BTW all the pics are from the Four Flicks DVD.

The art of cd is pathetic! The "pics" are just screenshots.
November 4th, 2004 12:10 AM
Phog After one listen to Live Licks I've got to give it a thumbs up. I love the mix of the instruments. My three complaints: 1) The edits are fucking ridiculous 2) It's material that we already have 3) They failed to get rid of that annoying anti-bootlegging sound effect from the HBO show. You can hear it quite clearly on Start Me Up and Happy. There's really no excuse for that.

Other than those three things I think that parts of it really kick some ass. A cool souvenir for the casual fan. Non-essential for the die-hards, but I don't regret buying it.
November 4th, 2004 12:51 AM
Zack 3) They failed to get rid of that annoying anti-bootlegging sound effect from the HBO show. You can hear it quite clearly on Start Me Up and Happy. There's really no excuse for that.

What are you referring to?
November 4th, 2004 03:13 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Zack wrote:
3) They failed to get rid of that annoying anti-bootlegging sound effect from the HBO show. You can hear it quite clearly on Start Me Up and Happy. There's really no excuse for that.

you can hear it clearly at the beginning of Don t Stop on FF, it s a strange noise like a plastic curtain

(Hi Phog, great Pixies trip my friend )
November 4th, 2004 04:22 AM
Bob Tamp It's no YAYA'S, but to me it's better than LYL( except for the club material), and much better than SL. I think Jagger's vocals on those 2 releases were horrible.

The edits suck, and I'm tired of the warhorses. But the mix appears pretty raw. Although I dont think it's going to sell, I wouldn't be ashamed to put it on to non-Stones folks.
November 4th, 2004 04:59 AM
thousands hey, just gonna say hi first of all cuz i'm new so hi!!

I preordered the album last week on amazon and got it yesterday, i must say (other than the awful edit on rocks off) its aint too shabby!! As i'm only 16 i'm probably nowhere near as big stones fans as you... but i still love them and i thaught the album was really good in all honesty.

well, i'm sarah by the way. cyz!
November 4th, 2004 05:11 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
thousands wrote:
hey, just gonna say hi first of all cuz i'm new so hi!!

I preordered the album last week on amazon and got it yesterday, i must say (other than the awful edit on rocks off) its aint too shabby!! As i'm only 16 i'm probably nowhere near as big stones fans as you... but i still love them and i thaught the album was really good in all honesty.

welcome here!!!
Four Flicks is far better, and can see them too!!
i will DL it
November 4th, 2004 06:36 AM
beer
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
I could not fall asleep and I started thinking a lot of things.
Probably it's an honoring to our msg board that the line "The sunshine bores the daylights out of me..." was editted out of Rocks Off... Like a secret message. Like a kind of gift!

So let me get this right, they deleted the best lyric in the entire song? WTF??? This is ridiculous.That's my favorite part of the song. Yet another brilliant move on Mick's part.
November 4th, 2004 06:44 AM
caro
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------
Zack wrote:
3) They failed to get rid of that annoying anti-bootlegging sound effect from the HBO show. You can hear it quite clearly on Start Me Up and Happy. There's really no excuse for that.

-----------------------------------------------------------

you can hear it clearly at the beginning of Don t Stop on FF, it s a strange noise like a plastic curtain

I'd love to hear some more explanations on that. Do they use that effect all the time? Does it work the same way as a phone jammer or something like that?
November 4th, 2004 06:54 AM
Moonisup the edits on:
Brown sugars irritates me: it was longer and better on FF
And the edit in SFM, the intro is shorter, and maybe micks vocal is an overdub, but I'm not sure
November 4th, 2004 07:08 AM
Monkeytonkman This web site always seems more up beat than at least one other i could mention. Sometimes on other sites I nearly feel like shooting myself!

however, this place always sends out lots of positive vibes. I like that, I like that a lot.
November 4th, 2004 07:12 AM
UGot2Rollme Live Licks bores the daylights out of me... listened to some of it at a CD store - decided to pass, despite the titties on the cover - would rather watch the undedited songs on 4 Flicks or listen to the boots.
November 4th, 2004 11:00 AM
lucasd4 Hello, Sarah

Sounds like you've got better ears and taste than most of the old time fans here...Live Licks is great

quote:
thousands wrote:
hey, just gonna say hi first of all cuz i'm new so hi!!

November 4th, 2004 12:10 PM
Saint Sway all I can say about the "sunshine bores the daylights..." edit is WHY? WHY? WHY?

and... I'd also like to add: WHY? WHY? WHY?

its not x-rated? thers no f-bomb to edit. SO WHY? WHY? WHY?
November 4th, 2004 12:28 PM
Phog Ok, the anti-bootlegging thing can be heard in the last half of RW's guitar solo in Start Me Up. It starts roughly at 2:15 and continues to the end of the solo.

On Happy it's best heard at 3:07.

I don't really know how to explain it. I guess it sounds kinda like a cell phone or a toy piano (no Chuck jokes, please). It's minimal on Live Licks, but it fucking ruined the HBO broadcast for me. Hope this will clarify it.

Pixies trip fucking rocked, Ju!!
November 4th, 2004 02:19 PM
Madafaka
quote:
Phog wrote:
A cool souvenir for the casual fan. Non-essential for the die-hards, but I don't regret buying it.

Exactly! That's the best definition.
November 4th, 2004 02:36 PM
KeepRigid The best part of this thing is definitely the mix. It renews hope for the next studio album. I don't really mind the edits, but the RO one is so obvious it literally knocks you out of the song. Can't believe no one caught it prior to release.
November 4th, 2004 05:32 PM
kahoosier My copy is still in the mail from Amazon. Reveiws run the gamut,and I am going to refrain from commenting on artistic integrity, or what it should be etc.

I do have a quandry though that involves all the nay-sayers. Most of them feel that Keith is the heart and soul of tha band. Keith is the musical savior of what the group should be. Keith can do no wrong, or at least very little.

All of the cuts and edits so far are all laid at Mick's feet. They are the Glimmer TWINS! Are we assuming now that the "musical force" behind the Stones is too wishy washy or drunk to protect his creations? Or is the excuse that he no longer has any pride or concern for the ongoing Rolling Stones? Or could it be realistiaclliy the truth that Keith stands there right next to his partner in crime and has equal repsonibility for not only all that is good, but all that is bad that the Stones do. For better, for worse, on all things Stones, Mick and Keith are EQUAL PARTNERS.
November 4th, 2004 08:06 PM
kmc keith should not be allowed to sing any more on stones records.

would have liked to have seen "don't stop" on this.

horns of "everybody needs somebody" ruins that one.

anybody else sick of chuck's countoffs to songs?

otherwise, it rocks. sound is excellent. now let's get on to new stuff or start emptying out the vaults. i'd settle for ALL of the BBC tapes for a start.
November 4th, 2004 09:07 PM
Soldatti I can't belive what they done on Rocks Off, the worst edit ever made on any record.
November 4th, 2004 09:07 PM
Saint Sway OK I've given Rocks Off a few listens today and now I just cant listen to it anymore. This pisses me off. I cant understand if this was - an intentional edit - or - a live mistake - where Mick just skipped the lyrics,

either way, this version of the song - with the 2 lines of lyrics ommitted should never of been released.

we pay A LOT of money to the Stones. They should take the time to get this shit right.