ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Tour is Over!
Hong Kong Harbour Fest, November 9, 2003 by Mike Clarke
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Overdubs audible on Four Flix? Return to archive
11-02-03 10:52 AM
TooTough Hi,

I just reminded me on those very tasteless audience overdubs (more applause than in reality) on the official BtB video from St. Louis and the (delayed) Bremen broadcast from the German TV station SAT1 in 1998.

Having witnessed one of those 3 shows on that DVD set: that would really suck, it�s a kind of cheat like an overdub always is on live recordings.

So anyone who grabbed a DVD at the party: any overdubs?
11-02-03 03:13 PM
hmps agree - tastless overdubs isn't what makes your day.
but they CAN do good. in "Carol" on GYYYO for example.
I've heard taylors solo wasn't that "tight" in "reality".

(I may be waay out there - correct me if so)

acctually - I seriously believe they will not add any overdubs at all to the club gigs.
I want to believe it and so I do.
I believe in it.

""Equality", I spoke the word as if it was some strange kind of vow"
11-03-03 05:23 AM
Mathijs The solo in Carol on Ya-Ya's is not an overdub, and it is played by Keith, not Mick Taylor.

Further, in Jumping Jack Flash from Olympia you can hear an overdub: Keith pumps out a Berry style bend, while you also hear his rythm guitar underneath. That's a dub.

Mathijs
11-03-03 07:02 AM
corgi37 What about the female audience member on GYYYO (heard before sympathy) asking for - "Paint it Black, Paint it Black you Devil". She is one lucky fan, as she obviously was in the audience for one of the recordings on Flashpoint. Oddly, saying the same thing. hyuk hyuk. Why would they do that? Some kinda in-joke or something? Wonder if she got royalties?
11-03-03 07:08 AM
Mathijs You're kidding right? Else it's the dummest thing I heard so far.

Mathijs
11-03-03 07:35 AM
Sir Stonesalot No that one is true Mathy. Check it out.

On Flashpoint, a female yells from the "audience", Paint it black, paint it black you devils." Just like on Ya-Ya's.

I thought it was pretty funny.

My theory is that the Stones themselves had no idea about the joke. I think it was just one of the techs goofing around.
11-03-03 08:54 AM
caro There's the same thing at the end of Street Fighting Man on Get yer leeds lungs out (but this time, it's a guy screaming, with a weird voice). I noticed it because it is (I think) the only time on the record where you can distinguish the voice of one particular person in the audience. I thought it was maybe some joke amongst the audience on that tour...
11-03-03 09:27 AM
Jumacfly the guy who shot "lady jane" ...and "let it rock" just before the beginnig of the encore...let it rocks!!
magic moment indeed..
11-03-03 09:38 AM
caro Now you make me doubt, Ju... Does he shout "Let it rock" or "Paint it black?" I hear Paint it black, but he doesn't articulate very well... Yes, it's a funny moment!
11-03-03 10:44 AM
hmps "What about the female audience member on GYYYO (heard before sympathy) asking for - "Paint it Black, Paint it Black you Devil". She is one lucky fan, as she obviously was in the audience for one of the recordings on Flashpoint. Oddly, saying the same thing. hyuk hyuk. Why would they do that? Some kinda in-joke or something? Wonder if she got royalties?"

When I first heard that I thought I had GYYYO pumping in the background so I took of my headphones and stopped the music. Sadly, GYYYO wasn't pumping
I remember I felt nauseous. I wanted to puke.
and mr jagger doesn't make it any better by saying:
"Will you listen to that?"
----
If it's supposed to be a joke it's a lame ass one. indeed.

right there you have a reason not to be a stones fan
^^
seriously
11-03-03 04:38 PM
Gazza Of course the GYYYO/Flashpoint "dub" was with the full knowledge of the Stones. Its a nice in-joke.

The guy on "leeds lungs" is shouting "Paint it black" from what I can hear (this is an officialy released recording too,as it was a b-side of "Brown sugar" in the UK)

I'd be pretty sure theres overdubs on "Four flicks" as by all accounts Ronnie was all over the place for the first few songs at Olympia. Didnt someone also post that the visuals of the club show shown in the preview on rs.com come not from Olympia but from Vredenburg?
11-03-03 04:43 PM
Moonisup yep!!!
I just watched it again, the pictures from the club is indeed vredenbrug! And for the stadium some amsterdam arena shots. I think most of the crowd shots will be from Vredenburg and arena cos the crowd in vredenbrug was just madness. I wasn't at the twick show, but maybe the use some 'clapping' from the amsterdam arena for that one
[Edited by Moonisup]
11-03-03 04:50 PM
marko I haven�t seen it,but,,,,,,,,,it leaves astoria&cirkus stockholm next...?Also these 4 shows had similar set lists.
11-03-03 04:59 PM
Moonisup well when i was at the back in vredenburg near the 'directors' of the camers, 4 or 3 sopngs (don't know how many, any more) where circled, including satisfaction, Vredenburg was professionally taped, less cameras then olympia however. i don't think astoria was taped in that way

rik
[Edited by Moonisup]
11-03-03 08:27 PM
CousinCocaine

Yeah, the PIB cry was a in-joke from stones/techs.

Reg. F.Flicks I wonder when did they do those overdubs (if there are any) ?!
CC
11-04-03 03:33 AM
Mathijs what I meant with dumb was to think it is the samae women present in te audience. The womam shouting PIB You Devil was present at the 11/27/1969 show, and shouts the phrase before the Stones are onstage to launch into JJF. The phrase was used on Ya-Ya's, and a dub was used during ALL 1990 live shows, and appeared on Flashpoint. It is a joke by Jagger.

Mathijs
11-04-03 03:38 AM
mickchickxxx I never knew about this overdub b4! Thanx to R.O. I am learning more about the Stones everyday!
11-04-03 04:04 AM
marko I think the joke is called "ya ya�s memory"?