ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

The Tour is Over!
Hong Kong Harbour Fest, November 9, 2003 by Mike Clarke
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Peter Wolf Return to archive
10-30-03 10:09 PM
Nellcote Got tix to see him @ Plymouth Memorial Hall 11/01/03.
Go and do yourself a favor, pickup "Sleepless"
Critically acclaimed album released last year, around the time the Stones kicked of their tour.
It's a wicked pissa album.
Duet w/ Jagger "Nothin But The Wheel"
Duet w/ Richards "Too Close Together", the great Sonny Boy Williamson number
Wolf deserves more attention than he gets
The Stones ties thru the years are multiple
Check out his site www.peterwolf.com
Full report Monday
10-31-03 01:55 AM
Promo I love those 2 tracks from Sleepless.
Wolf is good but the GlimmerTwins steal the show. Every Stones fan should have this. Blows alot of tribute/Compilation/Guest appearance..discs...etc..away.
This is what "Pay Pack and Follow" would've sounded like had Jagger sang lead.
10-31-03 02:41 AM
UGot2Rollme Absolutely Agree. Fools Parade (1999) is also Very good stuff. He's a great songwriter and performer - please post detailed report Monday (setlist would be super).
10-31-03 10:03 AM
T&A I was never a big J.GeilsBand fan, but the Sleepless disc is excellent. I have played it often in the past year. The Jagger duet would have been the best song on B2B, IMO....
10-31-03 10:41 AM
Fiji Joe You kidding?...Southside Shuffle?...Detroit Breakdown?...How can you not like that?
10-31-03 11:25 AM
Nellcote Only band I've seen more than the Stones is
The Mighty J. Geils Band, circa 73-80.
Probably that Boston was their home, one could see them very frequently.
In the day, they could make any show look like a romp in the park.
Full time harp player will git you everytime!
10-31-03 12:58 PM
Martha Riffhard64 turned me onto a copy of "Sleepless" last year...I LOVE IT! Thanks for the heads up regarding the tour Nellcote.

And..Nellcote....look for a package to be coming your way soon! :-)

Word to the music! Did anyone see the James Brown piece that aired on PBS's American Master's this week? Now he is some kinda wicked pissah too!

Now.......Let's ROCK!

10-31-03 01:26 PM
Nellcote Hey MMMMMMartha! How are ya gal?

Wolf calls this the Great American Pilgrim Tour
It lasts all of three dates, tomorrow night being the last date. He hopes to have more dates in '04.....

SEE YA>>>>>>

BLOW YOUR FACE OUT BAAAAAAAAAABY!!!!!

That last comment circa 1976 from album of the same name...
10-31-03 09:44 PM
Martha I'm good Nellcote. Tell Peter to get his ass over to Ohio so I can check him out live..or do I have to go to him yet AGAIN?!

Yeehaw!
11-01-03 03:42 AM
NHStonesfan I recall seeing them in a high school gym........uh oh I'm getting old
11-01-03 12:27 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Yeah, I saw 'em in a real dive years ago. Funny thing is Dylan played that same dive about a year ago. Really low grade venue. Dylan of course can appear in the craziest places.
11-01-03 03:31 PM
UGot2Rollme So, who was better, Wolf or Dylan...?

I bet you Wolf!
11-01-03 04:27 PM
riffhard64 Hey Martha....glad you liked Sleepless,i still listen to it often....Nothing but the Wheel is such a great song and Too close Together knocks me out too.Actually the whole damm record is great

BTW Martha,
You were kind enough to send me Tom Petty& The Heartbreakers..The Last DJ on VHS (absolutely great show)which i have transfered to DVD so let me know if you want me to burn one for you.
Best Regards
11-01-03 11:45 PM
sammy davis jr. Plus he's never recorded with Michael Jackson
11-02-03 12:24 AM
glencar I love "Where Did Our Love Go?" by the J Geils Band. Makes me happy.
11-03-03 04:57 AM
Promo I'm listening to it right now-see if these pics work....
[image]http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006H6AB.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg[/image]
11-03-03 07:31 AM
Nellcote "I wrote this next song with my good friend Mick Jagger. He wanted to be here tonight, however, he called to say he would'nt be there, as he had 27 women applying Oil of Olay to his thang"

So was the the intro for "Nothing But The Wheel" Saturday night, at the great Plymouth Memorial Hall. Wolf and his crack band, The Sleepless Travellers, played a two hour plus set, full of many cuts from Sleepless, several J. Geils numbers, as well as some great covers. Wolf told many great stories from his musical past, meeting and playing with John Lee Hooker, being Muddy Waters valet when in Beantown, drinking with Gram Parsons at Boston's old Hillbilly Ranch. He posses unbridled energy, plays a good harp, constantly brings the crowd into the show. Many of the songs from Sleepless took on a new feel, especially Sleepless, Growin Pain, Oh Marianne. In the band, guitarist a guitarist who has played with Dylan, Clapton amoung others, Stu Kimball, as well as another crack player, Duke Levine. Couple of notes, my travelling buddy got backstage, was standing near the back door, when Wolf came flying off the stage after the main set, lost his footing, fell right into my friend's arms. Wolf thanked him, my friend got his photo with him.
After the show, Wolf did a meet and greet, where we about 50 of us stayed to meet him. Asked him how it was to record with Keith, Wolf said it was really great. All & all, a great night with a true musical treasure, Peter Wolf.
If he is in your area, get to see him. You will not be dissapointed.

Set List 11/01/03

Growin Pain
Long Way Back Again
Nuthin But The Wheel
Long Line
Homework
Oh Marianne
Try One More Time
Nightime
5 O'Clock Angel
Serves You Right To Suffer
Never Like This Before
Believe In Me
Give It To Me
Sleepless
Riverside Drive
Lookin For A Love
Must Of Got Lost
**encores
All Torn Up
Instrumental-Blue Moon
Pack Fair & Square
Girl From The North Country
Love Stinks
Waitin On The Moon
Unknown Cover

www.peterwolf.com
www.jgeils.com
www.dukelevine.com

"If It's In You, It's Got To Come Out"
[Edited by Nellcote]
11-03-03 10:24 AM
padre Sounds like a great show! How was the intro for Musta Got Lost, is Peter still doing that long monoloque he did with J.Geils Band?
11-03-03 11:46 AM
luxury1 some "good friend" that Mick Jagger is!! I witnessed Pete getting the snub from the band at the Four Seasons in Boston. He waited around in the lobby bar, just like the rest of us fans, but never "got the call up." He left with some chick who had hair as black as his.
I never "got the call" either.
11-03-03 11:59 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
some "good friend" that Mick Jagger is!! I witnessed Pete getting the snub from the band at the Four Seasons in Boston.

LOL. Well...what are they SUPPOSED to do? Keith once said that Mick doesn't have many male friends. If any. I mean the Rolling Stones aren't exactly a charity organization. I guess they piss ANYWHERE and snub WHOEVER.
11-03-03 12:01 PM
Nellcote Hey Luxy, how "Mick" was that encounter? Probably not the first or last person that Mick would bypass for some tryst. He probably had enough of Wolf, as he had taken him to Via Matta earlier that trip, the chic Italian restaraunt around the corner from the Four Seasons.
11-03-03 12:07 PM
luxury1 Well, Nellcote, if you knew Mick was at Via Matte--how come the RO gathering wasnt there? WHat the hell were we doing in that sticky dive anyway?
Oh yeah, getting ready for the show.
11-03-03 12:17 PM
UGot2Rollme Nellcote,
Thanks for the review. Wolf is a great performer - I saw him from 3rd row last time Geils toured and there's really no better front man (besides you know who)...
11-03-03 12:20 PM
Nellcote Now Luxy, that dive is so famous. You should feel honored to be there! Where else can you get verbally abused by the barkeeps, and still want for more? it's a wicked pissa place! I think the Matta dinner may have come at some point during the stay, as the band was there for several days during the troika of shows they had there. You were on the right path of being @ the Four Seasons, as we met Bobby Keys there, and Mick did also dine with Wolf there.
11-03-03 12:29 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I agree that Peter Wolf is a great front man. However J. Geils Band are yankees. "Real" Rock n Roll is a Southern phenomenon...the rest are copiers (Including the Brits)
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
11-03-03 01:01 PM
Martha
quote:
riffhard64 wrote:
Hey Martha....glad you liked Sleepless,i still listen to it often....Nothing but the Wheel is such a great song and Too close Together knocks me out too.Actually the whole damm record is great

BTW Martha,
You were kind enough to send me Tom Petty& The Heartbreakers..The Last DJ on VHS (absolutely great show)which i have transfered to DVD so let me know if you want me to burn one for you.
Best Regards

riffhard64...You are so sweet! Thanks for the offer. How's about I send you something else on VHS...such as the BB King Jeff Beck Live by Request gig for a DVD copy of the Petty show? I don't have this one dubbed but can get to it over this coming weekend..it is on my to-do list anyway! LMK!

Hugs and kisses to you,
Martha