ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
Ą Gracias Fernando !
Angel Stadium of Anaheim - Anahaeim, CA - 4th November 2005
Đ 2005 Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: sway - only once so far? Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 4th, 2005 11:22 AM
Lethargy Has Sway only been played that one time so far? If so, bummer. I was hoping it would be making a semi-regular appearance.
November 4th, 2005 11:27 AM
Gazza yes...I'll be surprised if it gets many more airings to be honest

The setlists page has now been updated to include the 2005 shows up to and including Charlotte on 21st october, which was the last gig before the mid-tour 'break', so you can check and compare setlists there!
November 4th, 2005 11:27 AM
voodoopug only once in Columbus, and CHuck Leavel told Stonesdoug that Mick probably will not include it in future setlists.
November 4th, 2005 11:28 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl According to Stonesdoug probably never again as the reaction by the audience was too bad. But if you listen the audience recording it's clear someone saying "fuck yeah" when Mick announced it
November 4th, 2005 11:30 AM
voodoopug
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
According to Stonesdoug probably never again as the reaction by the audience was too bad. But if you listen the audience recording it's clear someone saying "fuck yeah" when Mick announced it

that was the taper!

November 4th, 2005 11:34 AM
gimmekeef Its a fave of us diehards and at least they gave it a go..I remember Mick saying he hated Get Off My Cloud..yet they tried it and the audiences really got into it so its been played a few times.I wish they'd announce a show well in advance just for those wanting the obscure songs.Likely in NYC but everyone attending would know its a No Warhorse Night...I'd be there in a heartbeat...
November 4th, 2005 11:41 AM
glencar Chuck Leavell was implored by many to try Sway again in front of a more sophisticated crowd...
November 4th, 2005 11:47 AM
Gazza yes..its an unfortunate indictment of Rolling Stones audiences nowadays that the Stones can play a song from Sticky Fingers (the 3rd biggest selling album of their career and one universally regarded as one of the two or three best albums that they ever made) and the vast majority of the crowd dont even know it or simply dont care

Never ceases to amaze me that thousands of people can spend a week's wages on a couple of concert tickets (and probably the GNP of a small African country on tacky merchandise) yet cant be bothered to spend about $10 on a classic Stones album thats gathering dust in the bargain bins of their local record store

Fuckin' posers. No wonder the Stones dont have the balls to take chances with the setlists when theres so many non-fans hogging the tickets who wont even buy their records - whether its the old ones or the new one.

Never mind this 'play somethin' they know' crap. Some of the audience need to 'know what they play' as well.
November 4th, 2005 11:56 AM
glencar Gazza, Chuck was sort of promising that they would try it again in NYC in January.
November 4th, 2005 12:17 PM
Gazza God bless the bearded wonder!
November 4th, 2005 12:26 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yes..its an unfortunate indictment of Rolling Stones audiences nowadays that the Stones can play a song from Sticky Fingers (the 3rd biggest selling album of their career and one universally regarded as one of the two or three best albums that they ever made) and the vast majority of the crowd dont even know it or simply dont care

Never ceases to amaze me that thousands of people can spend a week's wages on a couple of concert tickets (and probably the GNP of a small African country on tacky merchandise) yet cant be bothered to spend about $10 on a classic Stones album thats gathering dust in the bargain bins of their local record store

Fuckin' posers. No wonder the Stones dont have the balls to take chances with the setlists when theres so many non-fans hogging the tickets who wont even buy their records - whether its the old ones or the new one.

Never mind this 'play somethin' they know' crap. Some of the audience need to 'know what they play' as well.

You nailed it, Gazza!

What is U2's excuse?
November 4th, 2005 01:01 PM
Gazza To be fair to U2, they have a much smaller back catalogue, but play most of their current album live and have also played stuff off their first couple of albums ("An Cat Dubh", etc) which many of the 'new' fans may not know but which the diehards will....

Vive Le Front Liberation des Pierres Roulants!
[Edited by Gazza]
November 4th, 2005 01:32 PM
Jumping Jack They played in once and all the wannabee critics tore it to pieces, so you'll get no more. No soup for you.

Raise a glass to the Champions of Negativity!!! Long may you whine.
November 4th, 2005 01:49 PM
GimmeExile
quote:
Gazza wrote:
To be fair to U2, they have a much smaller back catalogue, but play most of their current album live and have also played stuff off their first couple of albums ("An Cat Dubh", etc) which many of the 'new' fans may not know but which the diehards will....

Vive Le Front Liberation des Pierres Roulants!
[Edited by Gazza]

I didn't mean to bash U2, as they are one of my favorite bands. I think the standard setlist for the Vertigo tour is great, but I'm frustrated by how it virtually never changes (a couple songs interchanged every other show).
November 4th, 2005 02:59 PM
marko Well,thats really the way the "big" bands seems to stick
with.Pink Floyd never really changed their sets during tour,neither did Zep.I think Springsteen is the only one
who does that.
Black Sabbath never even bothered to do that,same goes to
Aerosmith,iron maiden,U2,,,,,,,donīt know why really?
All these big bands has BIG CATALOG where to choose from.
They only change couple of songs and thats it.Zep didnīt do
that either.....are they all prisons of their own music
or something like that.
November 4th, 2005 03:13 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Too true!

Stones tickets as a status marker... The world has become a strange place.
November 4th, 2005 03:25 PM
FM I was there and couldn't quite believe they played it.

Started banging my fist against my forehead like some loon.

Turned to the lassie beside me and said "the message boards will be going
crazy right now."

She looked at me as if I were a nutter.

Fraser
November 4th, 2005 03:28 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
They played in once and all the wannabee critics tore it to pieces, so you'll get no more. No soup for you.

Raise a glass to the Champions of Negativity!!! Long may you whine.

Dont know if thats aimed at me or not, but I certainly wasnt negative about it. I enjoyed it.

I dont really care if its not perfect. The fact that they made the effort is whats important

I'd far rather have a slightly flawed rendition of "Sway" or "Moonlight Mile" or "Slave" or "Soul Survivor" than the three millionth identikit rendition of "Start me up" or "You Got Me Yawning"
November 4th, 2005 03:37 PM
Gazza
quote:
marko wrote:
Well,thats really the way the "big" bands seems to stick
with.Pink Floyd never really changed their sets during tour,neither did Zep.I think Springsteen is the only one
who does that.

Dylan and The Dead (and their various 'side project' bands) do it probably more than anyone.

The Stones have proved on the last tour that they CAN do it.

Unfortunately when you increasingly tailor a show to a corporate audience instead of your core fanbase (the people who actually BUY your records), you become a prisoner to that type of audience's lack of awareness of your back catalogue and their level of expectations, which amounts to little more than a greatest hits nostalgia-fest.

These people cant be expected to go home after paying $450 a ticket without hearing the requisite ten or twelve songs that MUST be played (if they were paying $90 a ticket, they probably wouldnt give a shit if a few were missed) so effectively the band become a personal jukebox for people too lazy to appreciate the band's work beyond '40 Licks'

The Stones have long ago earned the right to play what the hell they like on a concert stage. If a part of their audience cant let them grow, thats a step in the wrong direction
[Edited by Gazza]
November 4th, 2005 03:41 PM
FM [quote]marko wrote:
Pink Floyd never really changed their sets during tour

At least Pink Floyd would play their entire new
album on tour - pretty confident stuff.

Mind you, the albums were quality.

Fraser
November 4th, 2005 03:44 PM
marko Yeah they did play entire new albums,well not from Division
Bell.
November 4th, 2005 03:45 PM
Joey
quote:
marko wrote:
Yeah they did play entire new albums,well not from Division
Bell.

Hello Baby Marko
November 4th, 2005 03:49 PM
prism Mick says in the new Rolling Stone (with Bono on the cover) that Keith had to learn the guitar part for Sway before they played it live because Mick played guitar on the original Sway. The interview was done October 11 in Philadelphia.
November 4th, 2005 03:50 PM
glencar Keep practicing Keef!
November 4th, 2005 03:59 PM
Jumping Jack Gazza,

Not aimed at anyone in particular except perhaps Mathijs, but there were plenty of people with harsh things to say, particularly on IORR where whining is the norm rather than the exception.

There was far more criticism spewed than credit given for the effort. Hardly encouraging, that's for sure.
November 4th, 2005 04:01 PM
FM
quote:
marko wrote:
Yeah they did play entire new albums,well not from Division
Bell.

Pink Floyd still managed 6 from Division Bell on any given night PLUS throw in the whole of Dark Side Of The Moon.

Couldn't the Stones do six from ABB and perform a whole album (Sticky Fingers, LIB, etc) on the B-Stage.

Surely they can mix it up a little !

Fraser
[Edited by FM]
[Edited by FM]
November 4th, 2005 04:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Gazza,

Not aimed at anyone in particular except perhaps Mathijs, but there were plenty of people with harsh things to say, particularly on IORR where whining is the norm rather than the exception.

There was far more criticism spewed than credit given for the effort. Hardly encouraging, that's for sure.

True indeed

Damned if they dont make the effort, damned if they do
November 4th, 2005 04:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
FM wrote:

At least Pink Floyd would play their entire new
album on tour - pretty confident stuff.

Mind you, the albums were quality.

Fraser

I think Pink Floyd were actually playing ALL of "Dark Side" about a year BEFORE it came out!

Now THATS confidence!
November 4th, 2005 04:11 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Gazza,

Please note that the voodoopug (a man of the people) has not posted at iorr in some time. I wish them well, but cannot tolerate the level of negativity over there. Thankfully, Erik has that board covered for us.
November 4th, 2005 04:12 PM
glencar Why did they hate Sway? It sounded pretty good & it's something DIFFERENT!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)