ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006
¡ Gracias Fernando !
Angel Stadium of Anaheim - Anahaeim, CA - 4th November 2005
© 2005 Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Any news on UK shows? Return to archive
November 3rd, 2005 12:09 PM
headshrinker does anyone know when the stones will anounce shows in the UK?

thanx
November 3rd, 2005 01:13 PM
glencar No news yet, just rumors on iorr.org...
November 3rd, 2005 02:26 PM
Gazza supposedly the European tour will be announced on or around 14th November (according to the French site sympathyforthedevils.com)although I wouldnt be surprised if its a week or two later

The UK shows are expected to take place in August towards the end of the European tour

Rumoured venues include : Twickenham (2 shows), Glasgow Hampden Park, National Indoor Arena in Birmingham and probably another stadium show in the north of England (eg Manchester). There will also probably be a show in Dublin

The tour will probably open in Brussels around late May/early June

Other European shows that are all but confirmed so far include :

Paris 3rd June
Chorzow 17th June
Amsterdam 23rd July
Groningen 27th July
Marseille 1st August
November 4th, 2005 04:16 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Rumoured venues include : Twickenham (2 shows), Glasgow Hampden Park, National Indoor Arena in Birmingham and probably another stadium show in the north of England (eg Manchester). There will also probably be a show in Dublin

Wow, you mean The Stones are going to play more than TWO city's in England? This must be the first time since the Urban Jungle tour! I'd imagine that they'd add a third London show, but if they only intend to play Twickenham, then maybe not.

What I am surprised at is that they've missed out Cardiff again. They haven't played thee in fifteen years and I'd imagine they could fill the Millennium stadium. I'm sure loads of Welsh people have travelled to other UK destinations to catch them live in recent years, but the casual music fan perhaps wouldn't have, so I don't they'd have a problem filling seats there.
November 4th, 2005 04:36 AM
Zeeta I hope they don't play the Manchester Evening News Arena again! On the licks tour the acoustics were horrible and the security was too harsh. Why not sime outside venues such as City of Manchester stadium of Elland Road?!

November 4th, 2005 04:48 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
I hope they don't play the Manchester Evening News Arena again! On the licks tour the acoustics were horrible and the security was too harsh. Why not sime outside venues such as City of Manchester stadium of Elland Road?!

Unless I'm mistaken, Manchester and Birmingham are both in the Midlands, so as they plan to play two city's there, maybe they felt that they have a better chance of selling out a couple of arena shows than two stadiums of even an arena or stadium.

My above statement might be rubbish because I don't even know the distance between them both!

In my opinion, if they're planning to play three city's in England this time, they 'ought to ditch either Birmingham or Manchester and do one in Newcastle. That way the northerners get a show as well as the southerners and those people with funny accents in the middle.

They haven't played Leeds since 1982.

In a way, I'd love to go back in time to '64 when you could've seen them live in your local High Street!
November 4th, 2005 05:27 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I think I will go to Wembley and Both the Twickenhams
[Edited by Voodoo Scrounge]
November 4th, 2005 05:31 AM
jaymze hope they announce the tour soon, i cant wait to know when we get to see the stones again. the venues that they will be playing seem to be enormous. was talking to a stones mate lastnight (ireland calling on this board) and we were saying that we didnt realise how lucky we were last time round when they played smaller venues like the SECC in glasgow and the point in dublin. you could see the expressions on their faces and it was so cool to be up close with the band. hope they do a few smaller venues this time around again.....

either way -cant wait for the gigs next summer! :-)
November 4th, 2005 05:53 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I think I will go to Wembley and Both the Twickenhams
[Edited by Voodoo Scrounge]

I'll be going to either one or both of the Twickenham shows, depending on my money situation.

I don't think it's a certainty that they'll be playing the new Wembley stadium. I think that's why they've pencilled in the Twickenham shows. I was under the impression that them playing Wembley was pending on them being the first live act there. That honour is going to one and only Bon Jovi, so maybe they've scrapped it because of that.
November 4th, 2005 07:02 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken, Manchester and Birmingham are both in the Midlands,

You're mistaken

Manchester is in North-west England, ie Cheshire/Lancashire

Birmingham is about halfway between Manchester and London (100 miles or so from both)
November 4th, 2005 07:08 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Wow, you mean The Stones are going to play more than TWO city's in England? This must be the first time since the Urban Jungle tour! I'd imagine that they'd add a third London show, but if they only intend to play Twickenham, then maybe not.

What I am surprised at is that they've missed out Cardiff again. They haven't played thee in fifteen years and I'd imagine they could fill the Millennium stadium. I'm sure loads of Welsh people have travelled to other UK destinations to catch them live in recent years, but the casual music fan perhaps wouldn't have, so I don't they'd have a problem filling seats there.

They havent played Cardiff in 15 years but then again they havent played in the midlands since 1973 - and Birmingham is the second biggest city in England.

The midlands is also a lot more heavily populated than south Wales would be, so it would make more sense to do a show in Birmingham (long overdue) than Cardiff. They'd actually have more trouble filling the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff than they would, say, Villa Park in Birmingham.

Ticket sales for shows outside London will generally be slower than in the old days because of the prices. Its a different ballgame than it was in 1982,1990 or 1999. Its hard to fill a stadium in an area like south Wales, compared to say, Birmingham.

Whilst your post about them not having played Leeds since 1982 is correct, they HAVE played stadium shows in Sheffield in 1995 and 1999, which is in the same general area.
November 4th, 2005 07:34 AM
Honky Tonk Man Gazza, as always, thank you for clarifying all the minor mistakes I make!

The majority of bands who add a Cardiff gig to they're tour tend to opt for the arena there. Surely The Stones could go that route? They may not of played in Birmingham since 1973 and yeah, it may sell quickest than a show in south Wales (I didn't know Cardiff was even in the south!), but it not as if they're skipping a nation, is it/ Which of course, is the case every time they over look Wales.

Oh go on then, you may as well mention Belfast now!

1964 wasn't it?
November 4th, 2005 07:58 AM
Gazza >Gazza, as always, thank you for clarifying all the minor mistakes I make!

LOL

>The majority of bands who add a Cardiff gig to they're tour tend to opt for the arena there. Surely The Stones could go that route?

yeah, but unless I'm not mistaken its not a HUGE venue. I >doubt it would hold more than about 8,000. We're not comparing like with like here, though. When youre charging people upwards of about £150 for a primo seat, you're limiting yourself to playing areas with a large population in surrounding areas...Birmingham and Manchester fit into that category. Cardiff doesnt.

>They may not of played in Birmingham since 1973 and yeah, it may sell quickest than a show in south Wales (I didn't know Cardiff was even in the south!), but it not as if they're skipping a nation, is it/ Which of course, is the case every time they over look Wales.

well, they wouldnt look it that way. When you look at the British Isles in terms of population, there are about 50 million people living in England, 5 million in Scotland, 3 million in Wales, 1.6 million in Northern Ireland and 4 million in the Irish Republic - so its natural that England should get the lions share of shows. There are probably more people living in the Midlands than there are in Scotland and Wales combined.

>Oh go on then, you may as well mention Belfast now!
1964 wasn't it?

September 1965. (see 'Charlie is My Darling'). The bastards. We have a fucking good arena now, too (which holds more than either of the two arenas in Dublin) but they'll pick Dublin because theres more money in it, more people there and because the promoters dont have enough ambition.

I asked Keith in an AOL interview in 1998 about a show in Belfast and he said 'get us a place to play and we'll do it. I'd love to go back'.
November 4th, 2005 08:30 AM
Honky Tonk Man Okay, well if wer'e talking about locations, this is my idea of a half-decent UK leg of a tour.

Twickenham stadium x2 London
Brighton Dome x1
Birmingham NEC x1
Sheffild Arena x1
Manchester Evening News Arena x1
Newcastle Telewest Arena x1
Glasgow SECC x2
Cardiff International Arena x1
Belfast Odeyse (is that it's name?) x1
The Point x2 Dublin

Take away Twickenham and replace it with Wembley Arena and that'd be a typical UK tour for any half decent band with a large following.

I guess the Stones don't give the UK that kind of treatment anymore is because, with other European county's as part of the same tour, there just isn't enough time.

November 4th, 2005 09:10 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Okay, well if wer'e talking about locations, this is my idea of a half-decent UK leg of a tour.

Twickenham stadium x2 London
Brighton Dome x1
Birmingham NEC x1
Sheffild Arena x1
Manchester Evening News Arena x1
Newcastle Telewest Arena x1
Glasgow SECC x2
Cardiff International Arena x1
Belfast Odeyse (is that it's name?) x1
The Point x2 Dublin

Take away Twickenham and replace it with Wembley Arena and that'd be a typical UK tour for any half decent band with a large following.

I guess the Stones don't give the UK that kind of treatment anymore is because, with other European county's as part of the same tour, there just isn't enough time.

yeah - thats about right, but I think we did well last time - 11 shows in 4 cities, with 1 theatre and 8 arena shows! (I had tickets for them all..I skipped Manchester as I needed a break..but didnt go back for the rearranged 2nd Twickenham show as it would have been my 3rd trip to London in under a month (plus two trips to Glasgow - I flew home the day in between to see the wife, plus it actually worked out cheaper to come home for a day)

A tour the size of the one you've mentioned (15 shows) would take a full month. As they dont do back to back shows anymore, its simply too long as you correctly say.

Nice idea, though - although I'd ditch one of the Dublin and Glasgow shows and add a theatre gig or two instead!
[Edited by Gazza]
November 4th, 2005 09:18 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Gazza wrote:
A tour the size of the one you've mentioned (15 shows)

13 shows. I just thoughtI'd correct you there

Yeah, I'd say we did pretty well last time, especially compared to the Voodoo Lounge tour. Yeah, Brixton Acadamy maybe, but no Scotland, let alone the likes of The Republic of Ireland or Wales!
November 4th, 2005 10:16 AM
Zeeta Manchester Evening News Arena x1 No thanks! See previous posts.
City of Manchester stadium please - it can hold up to 'bout 40k...
November 4th, 2005 10:59 AM
eXiLe oN 2nD sT AUGUST 19th PLEASE!!!!

What a way to spend my 22nd birthday!
November 4th, 2005 11:28 AM
Gazza
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

13 shows. I just thoughtI'd correct you there

ouch!
November 4th, 2005 11:32 AM
Gazza
quote:
eXiLe oN 2nD sT wrote:
AUGUST 19th PLEASE!!!!

What a way to spend my 22nd birthday!

I reckon they'll be in the UK at around that time OK, so you could well be in luck.

My personal hunch for Twickenham is a couple of shows on either the weekend of 18-20 August or 25-27 August (the second one is a bank holiday weekend too)
November 4th, 2005 11:33 AM
jaymze Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Okay, well if wer'e talking about locations, this is my idea of a half-decent UK leg of a tour........

How about a few nights at Irelands National Events Centre. It can hold 2,000+ people and is in Killarney (my home town).

A whole load of ye could stay at my house!!!!

:-)

November 4th, 2005 11:51 AM
Gazza and plenty of great golf courses on your doorstep to boot

If that ever happened, the drinks are on me...
November 4th, 2005 12:02 PM
glencar They won't be playing any of those huge rock festivals, I take it?
November 4th, 2005 12:18 PM
Gazza Cant imagine so.

Not their thing.

Thank Christ. I'd avoid those shows like the plague...
November 4th, 2005 01:34 PM
Stray Cat UK 13 SHOWS ! - I WOULDN'T THINK SO.....

On licks they cancelled a 2nd night at the MEN arena,due to sluggish sales.

If tickets where say £40 - £80 they would still be filling stadiums IMHO.

I'm taking the turning up at the gig route this time.You can always get something decent,often at a bargain price if you can hold your nerve !

SC UK
November 5th, 2005 12:15 AM
WhenTheWhipComesDown Does anyone think this will be their last tour forever? You know
the Stones better than me.
November 5th, 2005 12:18 AM
glencar Yes.
November 5th, 2005 05:10 PM
Gazza last on this scale, I would think
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)