ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pacific Bell Park, San Francisco, Friday November 8, 2002
George Nikitin/AP
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Will the Joint Get a Theatre Set or a Hot Rocks Set? Return to archive
11-04-02 03:41 PM
whbg1 I am going to the show at the Joint (also went to the Aragon), and I would like opinions on the question of whether the set list at the Joint will be more like the other theatre set lists or more like an arena/stadium set list.

I don't think they will do the album showcase as they have in the arenas, but it does occur to me that they may do more big hits than at the other small venues. I say this because (a) tickets for the Joint show were $500-$1,000 (the most expensive tickets ever for a rock concert?), not $50 like the other small venues, and (b) they have not taken the precautions (letters instead of tickets, wristbands, limit of 2 tickets per customer, etc.) to impair the scalper market as they have for the other small venue shows.

Also, it seems plausible that the Stones figure that people paying those prices are less likely to be hardcore fans and therefore more interested in a greatests hits show. Finally, when they played there in 98, the set, while a little different than the stadard fare, did not feature the sort of unusual list that we associate with "club" gigs.

What do folks think?
11-04-02 03:54 PM
Gazza It was also a slightly shorter show if I remember

yeah..i'd guess a hits-style set - those prices arent really aimed at Stones fans. Personally,anyone who pays $1000 for a concert ticket has more money than sense - OR taste - but each to their own.
11-04-02 03:58 PM
jb Gazza...I paid a lot for my tickets...I guess your right.
11-04-02 04:11 PM
Gazza yeah but at least you're actually a fan WITH a disposable income. I dont think thats typical of that type of audience IMHO.

Its no reflection on you or people of your income bracket. If you can afford those prices and dont begrudge payin' it, good luck to you. My personal gripe with it is with the Stones for being so out of touch and selling out for that type of crowd. Gimme a 2,000 strong crowd of fans who actually WANT to hear the rare stuff and know the material anytime.
11-04-02 04:17 PM
jb Well, as i posted previously, I experienced the type of fan you are talking about in Miami...An old aquaintance braaging to me she paid 1k for her seat directly in front of me...her and her husband knew only a few of the big hits, said they "sucked" and they liked the Aerosmith concert they saw the previous saturday better...I have never been so pissed off at a concert in my life..I literally told her to fuck off and leave in the middle of the show...what a waste of a great seat....Thank god there was a really cool chick who flew in from N.Y. directly behind me who was totally into it like me...
11-04-02 04:41 PM
whbg1 Another question is what kind of set will they play for Texas Pacific Corp at the same venue earlier in the month?