ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pacific Bell Park, San Francisco, Friday November 8, 2002
George Nikitin/AP
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ain't She Purrty? Return to archive
11-04-02 01:34 PM
steel driving hammer http://img.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/51/510475.jpg

Questions for guitarologists, No Cole Porter, Beer, Mathjis, FPM ect...

Is this guitar worth the price?
What are the bad points? Is it made in Mexico?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=021104102522209174171183009885/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/510475/

11-04-02 02:20 PM
Dandelion* Hey Steelie! I passed through Howe Indiana the other night. I thought I heard some moans. Was that the infamous land of cornfield sodom?
11-04-02 02:26 PM
Fiji Joe If you can't get it locally...I'd say it's worth it just to eliminate the hassle of looking for one...you don't see em' every day...I am not an expert on electric guitars but I have seen em' selling for $600
11-04-02 02:37 PM
dkmonroe What a beautiful guitar!

It's probably not made in Mexico, since it's a reissue. Generic Fenders often come from Mexico or Japan, but when they remake older models, they're usually U.S.A. In any case, $600+ is not a great deal of money to spend on a guitar.

Even if it is from Mexico, that's not necessarily bad. I've got a Mexico Fender Jazz Bass, and it's a fine instrument.
11-04-02 02:53 PM
Maxlugar Well Steelie.....

I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Gibson SG...

<---- File photo circa 1983.

Aint that a sexy bitch?!

Oh and that GUITAR! Not bad either!

SHAZAM!!!!!!!!!!

11-04-02 02:54 PM
jb I prefer a Jesse James motorcyle as featured in this months GQ.
11-04-02 04:33 PM
steel driving hammer Thanks guys.

Can't find those types of Tele's here.
Think I'm gonna get that one and keep my receipt.

-

Dandy that was prolly Sgt. Johnson, what a dick he was...
11-04-02 05:01 PM
supergoatz My guess is that it is Mexican..but I wouldn't let that dter you too much,,,I have a '94 Mexican fat Tele...looks like a standard tele with the humbucker in the neck position...it's a 50's re-issue and all Mexican made...it plays great and sounds great...

I have been told by a friend who owns a music store that Fender only makes them in Mexico and the US now...no more Japanese models...the only real difference you'll find..according to my music store guy is in the parts..pick-ups, machine heads, etc...they're definitley cheaper than the American Standard stuff..but still sound good none-the-less...

The price on that one looks a little high...I'd check ebay or just search for used guitars on a ny major serach engine...you'll probably find loads of independent guys that you might get a better deal through...

I remember when the Mexican re-issues first came out in '92 - '94..that guitar sold up here (Canada) for about $569.00...

good luck
sg
11-04-02 07:53 PM
MannishBoy The '72 reissue Custom Tele is definitely Mexican but the ones I have seen appear better made than standard Mexican Teles. They are not cheapo remakes. I have had my eye on one for a while and that price is about right. It should give you the sound you are looking for, and I presume as you are looking at this guitar that the sound is late 70's to early 80's Keef.

Enjoy...
11-04-02 08:33 PM
Cracker2550 Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the 72 Custom Telecaster. I love this guitar. Great thoughts of the 81/82 tour immediately come to my head. Anyways, the deal is pretty good. MF usually has decent prices. For some reason, I always thought that these guitars were made in America, but I'm young and ignorant.... btw, I have two tele's, one american made and one mexican made, both standards. The american is made better, but not really by too much. I keep the mexican one in five string open g and it does the job just fine. One quick question, do any of you think that putting a Gibson PAF 57 in the open g tele would be too hard?

Kyle
11-04-02 08:49 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
dkmonroe wrote:
I've got a Mexico Fender Jazz Bass, and it's a fine instrument.

Me too - quite an amazing instrument. Has just that right amount of punch to make it rise a little bit above the normal muddy sound the bass usually gets in a heavy guitar band. I love playin' that sucker on "Dance Pt. 1", really brings out the groove.

The guitar in question is niiiiice, by the way.

-tSYX --- Some kinda ventilator...