ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pacific Bell Park, San Francisco, Friday November 8, 2002
George Nikitin/AP
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Setlists are losing their edge Return to archive
11-03-02 09:52 PM
Mr T as much as I love the songs their pulling out this tour - they've once again found that standard setlist to stick by pretty strictly - I wish they'd throw more life back into them, they need more variety - what the hell hapened to the tons of rarities they rehearsed over the summer?
11-03-02 10:17 PM
Boomhauer Here are some songs I think they may bring up:

She's So Cold
Almost Hear You Sigh
Starfucker

(Yeah RIght)
11-03-02 10:49 PM
luxury1 I don't care if they play "twinkle twinkle little star" I would still go
11-04-02 09:19 AM
nankerphelge I think they need to dig in a bit too for the areans. Most of the album themes have centered on LIB or Exile. Beggars, SF and SG got a day each -- that ain't enuf. Where are GHS and TY and others??

And I bet they could find a way to rock Twinkle Twinkle!!

11-04-02 09:28 AM
Nellcote I find it interesting that out of the covers that they have performed to date, not one Chuck Berry number.
Could it be that Chuck won the Keith suggested suit over Johnny Johnson?
11-04-02 11:04 AM
sirmoonie Over the December break, I'll bet they tune up a few new ones.

The rarities they rehearsed and haven't played probably never gelled and got dropped. Just looking for a few moments at the rehearsal list, seems like songs rehearsed for a single day in July have not made it to shows, whereas August tunes were much more likely to.

I wouldn't say the set lists have lost their edge, but I don't really mind Hot Rocks shows. Its how they play it, not what they play. I really wouldn't mind Start Me Up 20 times in a row. I'd be dancing.

I can't complain about anything they do ever again. Because CYHMK. Yep, CYHMK.
11-04-02 11:05 AM
sirmoonie Oh yeah, Chuck did win that suit against Johnson. Court found any rights Johnson had, were long expired. Chuck commented that he wasn't pissed at Johnson for suing, more pissed at Keith. Pretty funny.
11-04-02 11:30 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Umm... guys?

I hate to piss on your parade, but...

These are some of the best and most varied setlists we've *ever had*.

I think we should be thankful for what we're getting, don't you?

Exile, Let It Bleed, CAN'T YOU HEAR ME MUTHAFUCKIN' KNOCKING... man, all things considered, these guys have done a great job. Certainly better than the sets I've read from many a past year.

So right now, I'm takin' what I can get. And rest assured, they will update these for the winter leg, methinks. A few more albums (Tattoo You, Aftermath) and mayhap "Stealing My Heart". That would be sweet on the B-Stage.

But the one song I simply must hear at the Wiltern, after I chew you guys out...

iiiiiissss....

"She Said Yeah".

-tSYX --- Dum diddle dee dum dum...
11-04-02 11:33 AM
jb Strangely, I completely agree with TSYX...this is the most diverse song list ever!!!
11-04-02 11:38 AM
Nellcote What parade? CYHMK is great, but let's not get carried away here. I think that with the vastness of the catalog, coupled with what has been rehearsed, we should see more.
Despite what could be thought of as a staged event, during B to B, we got the web choice, which did result in some differing songs nightly. Moreover, the knowledge that The Stones are offering variety, could be construed as the catalyst for more ticket sales? IMO more is better, bring it on? I am not going to list what would be great to see, however, they are capable of playing more, as has been stated above, probably during the next leg.

After all, this is not Macca we are talking of. Friend of mine saw him twice in 60 days, Boston and Tacoma, note for note, story for story exactly the same. How boring!
11-04-02 11:43 AM
jb Congratulation Nellcote....NE looked very good yesterday...I really think, however, you are off base as far as set lists...They have played more different songs than any tour I can remember....They have played more rarities than I can remember...Also,remember, they are playing for new audiences every night ...we who attend multiple show probably make up less than 100 in an audience of 15,000 plus.
11-04-02 11:45 AM
Mr T hey - I'd still pay to see the same set list a dozen times, it's still a great show - but this tour started out really different with all the variety they were playing - ow it's back to the same old 18 songs a night + a few less expected ones just like the last several tours
11-04-02 11:50 AM
jb I am actually more upset about the lack of encores..Once they leave for the B stage it was pretty much over for me being up front...to not have the lights go down and have them come back for 1 more , is very disappointing.
11-04-02 12:12 PM
Nellcote JB;

Do not get me wrong, it's great to hear some of these songs, however, after having read what they rehearsed, I had thought we would really get more variety. You have go to admit, other than a couple of substitutes in the past 14 days, the set lists are very predictable now. You could post today what they will play in the next four shows, with exception of tonight. I thought that these theatre shows would be embronic, bring out those songs, then weave them into the stadium shows. They did this with Sweet Virginia, That's How Strong My Love Is, which both got stadium play.
If they bring out some new songs tonight, then there is hope more will replace other numbers at arena shows. This is a format which would work great. If they do not, then, IMO it gets old, although not old enough for anyone here.

Ah yes, the Pats did show lots o' spark yesterday.
That was last year's defense. Brady was laser like with his passes. That game by Bledsoe showed why he was ranked 21 out of 29 QB's in the last 4 years. Sorry, he is still not Farve like IMO. Good game tonight to catch, yes!
11-04-02 12:36 PM
RubyFriday
quote:
Nellcote wrote:I had thought we would really get more variety.....I thought that these theatre shows would be embronic, bring out those songs, then weave them into the stadium shows.

Absolument d�accord.I thought they would play Flight 505 in another theatre show and then replace Cyhmk or Midnight Rambler from time to time.Also they could replace 1 warhorse through another sometimes,for example Paint it Black(not 1 single time played this tour)for IORR.Also waiting for the other new songs.
11-04-02 07:43 PM
sasca I wish they'd play 'I am Waiting', one of the most underrated Stones songs. Not that I'd get to see or hear it.
11-04-02 10:43 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 even slipping away is losing ground and he is playing encores right after playing the b-stage. this proves they need to re-arrange the setlists.
11-05-02 03:00 AM
~AzQb

Not Tonight's!!!

~TheEngineIsGrindingAgain~!

!