ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Pacific Bell Park, San Francisco, Friday November 8, 2002
George Nikitin/AP
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones Movie Return to archive
11-03-02 10:44 AM
Toast960 Does anyone know why the Stones were never approached to do a feature film? Many of the top artists of the sixties appeared in their own movies or at least had bit parts in a movie, why not the Stones?
11-03-02 10:46 AM
tumblingdice They planned them, just never did them for one reason or another.
11-03-02 08:13 PM
sasca They came close to making 'The Only Lovers left Alive'. Mick said something about 'You can't imagine Ringo shooting someone, but you can imagine Brian doing it.'

p.s. When Mick made 'Performance', studio heads thought they were getting another 'Hard Day's Night'. They weren't pleased.
11-03-02 08:15 PM
Fiji Joe Great sasca...tell us more Mr. Science
11-04-02 03:32 AM
stonedinaustralia i recall reading in the early '80's keith had a bit part in a movie (which, i think - i could be wrong), patti had a more substantial role in - based on james m. cain's novel "past all dishonour" - it's a western tale of gamblers, gunslingers and wild wild women

keith played the part of a piano player who worked in a brothel - as a piano player that is (just thought i'd add that in case it wasn't clear - i wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea)

he also played the role of a tree in "barbarella"

but to answer your query toastie, i'd would say it never happened because i'm sure the stones would have wanted quite a bit of control that the movie people wouldn't have wanted to surrender and vice versa - also they would have been wary of being associated with something that turned out to be not too good (not that that's never happened..."cocksucker blues",anyone? - although it had it's moments - nearly all of them musical - 'tho keith ordering fruit from room service was quite an amusing insight!!)

as for producing their own movie i suspect they weren't (aren't)bothered - there's no guarantee it would have been any good - imagine something like "running out of luck" with the whole band in it

anyway, mick did enough on his own - from the sublime (performance) to the ridiculous (freejack) to the bemusing (ned kelly) - he did another recently where he played a german drag queen

they could have been great playing themselves as a band at the troop concert in "apocalypse now" - but they kind of already did that - for real - in "gimme shelter"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
11-04-02 02:45 PM
sasca Yeah, Mick was superb in 'Bent' as a drag queen. A pity his part wasn't bigger.
I think part of the problem for the Stones was that they didn't want to make another 'Hard Day's Night' or 'Help' and so might have had problems with acting. The awkward acting in parts of the Beatles films usually adds to the charm but it would have caused problems in 'A Clockwork Orange'.
11-05-02 05:37 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Toast960 wrote:
Does anyone know why the Stones were never approached to do a feature film? Many of the top artists of the sixties appeared in their own movies or at least had bit parts in a movie, why not the Stones?

Because all their agents had seen the Elvis movies, and 'A Hard Days Night'....nuff said!