ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

McAfee Coliseum, Oakland, 6th November 2006
© Chris Stewart
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Last Waltz (movie) Return to archive
3rd November 2006 05:31 PM
Factory Girl What a great movie!!

What are the members of the Band up to these days? TIA!
3rd November 2006 05:41 PM
Saint Sway that movie changed my life. Those guys were so cool.

quote:
Factory Girl wrote:

I dont have the strength to answer this today
3rd November 2006 05:42 PM
SheRat Richard Manuel is dead!

DANKO/MANUEL
Let the night air cool you off.
Tilt your head back and try to cough.
Don't say nothing 'bout the things you never saw.
Let the night air cool you off.

I ain't living like I should.
A little rest might do me good.
Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.
Now I ain't living like I should.

Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold.
Maybe I can only hear it in my head.
Fifteen years ago we owned that road
now it's rolling over us instead.

Richard Manuel is dead.

God forbid you call their bluff.
Like the nightmares ain't enough.
Remember when we used to think that we were tough?
God forbid you call their bluff.

First they make you out to be
the only pirate on the sea.
Then they say Danko would have sounded just like me.
"Is that the man you want to be?"

Can you hear that song? It sounds like gold.
Maybe I could make it bigger overseas.
Fifteen years ago we owned this road
now it only gives us somewhere else to leave.

Something else you can't believe.

Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold.
Maybe I can hear poor Richard from the grave
singin' where to reap and when to sow
when you've found another home you have to leave.

Something else you can't believe.

3rd November 2006 05:43 PM
Gazza
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
What a great movie!!

in Richard Manuel and Rick Danko's case, they're "decomposing composers", unfortunately
3rd November 2006 05:44 PM
doo doo doo Dude
quote:
SheRat wrote:
Richard Manuel is dead!

So is Rick Danko
3rd November 2006 05:48 PM
mojoman
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
What a great movie!!

levon and garth are still out there playing. suprised robertson hasnt put out a new release since 98. if you haven't gotten it yet the dvd festival express which came out a couple of years ago is fantastic
3rd November 2006 05:49 PM
Gazza
a general summary from All Music Guide of The Band's final years from 1976 (the year of The Last Waltz show) onwards :

The inevitable best-of album in 1976, ahead of what proved to be their final tour, marked the unofficial end of the original lineup's history. One last new album, Islands, fulfilled the group's contract and had some fine moments, but they never toured behind it and it was clear to one and all that the Band was finished as a going concern. The group marked the end of their days as an active unit with the release of the film (and accompanying soundtrack LP set) The Last Waltz, directed by Martin Scorsese, of their farewell concert, which was an all-star performing affair pulling together the talents of Ronnie Hawkins, Muddy Waters, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Van Morrison, and a dozen other luminaries drawn from the ranks of old friends, admirers, and idols of theirs. Robertson and Helm pursued musical and film careers, while Danko tried to start a solo career of his own.

Capitol Records kept repackaging their music on vinyl with an Anthology collection and a second best-of LP, as well as a pair of CD recompilations, To Kingdom Come and Across the Great Divide, in the '90s. As it turned out the members, apart from Robertson, weren't quite as ready or willing to close the book on the group, in part because they saw no reason to and also because several of them proved unable to sustain profitable solo careers (Robertson, having written most of the songs, had a steady income from the publishing as well as the record sales). The other members of the group reunited at various times — in 1983, four members of the Band, with Robertson replaced by Earl Cate of the Cate Brothers on guitar, reunited for a tour that yielded a full-length concert video and a healthy audience response. The death of Richard Manuel in 1986 cast a dark pall on any future reunions, of which there were several — Robertson issued his first solo album a year later, which included a tribute to Manuel ("Fallen Angel").

This was as close as the guitarist would get to a Band reunion, however, which became a bone of contention among onlookers and the members. Robertson publicly questioned what the meaning of The Last Waltz had been and would never participate. And as the group's major songwriter and principal guitarist, he was their most famous member, but he almost never sang significant vocal parts on their recordings (indeed, it is said that one reason their set from Woodstock was never issued was because his mic was live and his voice too prominent). Other guitarists could build on his work well enough, and the rest of the group had made significant contributions to virtually every song they ever did, so the reunions made sense. In 1993, the Band released Jericho, their first new album in 16 years, which received surprisingly good reviews. High on the Hog followed in 1996 and two years later, they celebrated their 30th anniversary with Jubilation. The death of Rick Danko in his sleep at his home in Woodstock on December 10, 1999, the day after his 56th birthday, seemed to call an end to future activities by any version of the Band.
3rd November 2006 05:53 PM
SheRat
quote:
doo doo doo Dude wrote:

So is Rick Danko

didja see the lyrics to the song? or the frikkin' title?
[Edited by SheRat]
3rd November 2006 05:56 PM
GotToRollMe Wow. I actually attended the premiere at the Ziegfeld Theatre in NYC. It was a big deal back then...I guess because it was the first real big-time rock & roll documentary based on a single concert. It was really well-done too. I have no idea what those guys are doing these days.
3rd November 2006 06:08 PM
Sir Stonesalot Neil has a rock of coke stuck in his nose during his set.

Looks like it was about a 1/4 gram! Hilarious!

I love that movie.
3rd November 2006 06:39 PM
MRD8 I just got a great Dylan/Band DVD from '69/'70...on the Johnny Cash show, at the Isle Of Wight Festival and a few songs from a concert in Pittsburgh in 1970.
[Edited by MRD8]
3rd November 2006 06:39 PM
Factory Girl How did Danko & Manuel die?

In the movie, Danko was a righteous stud-muffin. In the movie, Manuel goes on & On about how he loves pie...cheeky!

Also, Ronnie Hawkins was awesome! Is he still alive?

Thanks to all for the good info.
3rd November 2006 06:41 PM
SheRat
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
How did Danko & Manuel die?

In the movie, Danko was a righteous stud-muffin. In the movie, Manuel goes on & On about how he loves pie...cheeky!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Band

3rd November 2006 06:45 PM
Factory Girl MRD8, check PM!

Manuel committed suicide, what s tragic waste.
[Edited by Factory Girl]
3rd November 2006 06:54 PM
Gazza
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
How did Danko & Manuel die?

Manuel hung himself in his hotel room in Florida in 1986, following a coke and booze binge

Danko had a long time junk problem, which took a serious toll on his health. His weight also ballooned quite significantly. Apparently he was clean though when he died of a heart attack.

"The Hawk" is still going. He was seriously ill with pancreatic cancer a few years ago, but he seems to have recovered.
[Edited by Gazza]
3rd November 2006 06:58 PM
texile i thought it was pretentious and boring...
not a band fan - a little too stiff and serious for me.
3rd November 2006 06:59 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Neil has a rock of coke stuck in his nose during his set.

Looks like it was about a 1/4 gram! Hilarious!

Digitally removed in the DVD reissue.

Highlights were plentiful - NY, Van The Man, The Hawk, Muddy, Emmylou - by my favorite moments are the beatific grin on Danko's face when he realizes Dylan's leading them into Baby, Let Me Follow You Down, and Mavis Staples whispering "beautiful" as they wrap up The Weight.

Indeed.
Think I'll watch it again tonight...
3rd November 2006 07:01 PM
Sir Stonesalot Not on my copy. It's still there, big as the Rock of Gibraltar
3rd November 2006 07:02 PM
MRD8 I saw Manuel's last performance with the Band at the Cheek To Cheek nightclub in Winter Park, Florida(a suburb of Orlando) in '86...Gregg Allman was in the audience...he showed no signs at all during the show that he was depressed or anything!
3rd November 2006 07:07 PM
ComeAsYouAre
quote:
mojoman wrote:

levon and garth are still out there playing. suprised robertson hasnt put out a new release since 98. if you haven't gotten it yet the dvd festival express which came out a couple of years ago is fantastic

I saw them at the Fairfax County Fair about ten years ago, minus Robertson, of course. Well, ten years ago is quite a long time ago so.... nevermind.
3rd November 2006 07:08 PM
Factory Girl
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
I saw Manuel's last performance with the Band at the Cheek To Cheek nightclub in Winter Park, Florida(a suburb of Orlando) in '86...Gregg Allman was in the audience...he showed no signs at all during the show that he was depressed or anything!

WOW, that is very special... I think the Band's sound in LW is just great. I didn't know (until this thread) that so much tragedy was coming their way.
3rd November 2006 07:52 PM
Riffhard I'll never forget seeing The Band live in Miami in 1994. I was there to host the show for the radio station I worked for at the time,WSHE-She's Only Rock and Roll. Anywho,I was hanging with the guys and they were all so nice. Levon is a very laid back guy. He's just like he is portrayed in The Last Waltz. Garth was also very likeable,although he was a bit more introverted than the rest of them. Rick Danko was the man though! He was so genuine,and down to earth. He always made sure that I had a fresh beer in my hand on the tour bus. Just a real gent.

I was standing in the wings off stage while the they were waiting to go back on for an encore. Danko turns to me and says,"So Mr. Hook what song to you want to hear for the encore?" I was stunned! Was he asking me to call the encore song? I just laughed and said that I always loved Stage Fright. He looked at me and winked and told me to hold his beer,Lowenbrau-btw. They then went up on stage and busted out a blistering version of Stage Fright! In the middle of the song Danko looked at me and motioned to me that it was ok if I drank the rest of his beer! LOL! So I did! After the show I went back on the bus with them and Rick had gotten a copy of the setlist off his monitor and had the whole band sign it to me and he signed it with the notation,"To my buddy Steve. Thanks for hangin' with us and making us feel welcome in So.Fla! Rick Danko '94. As it turns out Stage Fright was their planned encore all along,but it was still very cool to have Danko look at me and wink as if to say,you got it my friend!

Always loved The Band,but that night sealed the deal for me. They were just such a great great band and such a bunch of wonderful guys!

Riffy
3rd November 2006 08:39 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I'll never forget seeing The Band live in Miami in 1994. I was there to host the show for the radio station I worked for at the time,WSHE-She's Only Rock and Roll. Anywho,I was hanging with the guys and they were all so nice. Levon is a very laid back guy. He's just like he is portrayed in The Last Waltz. Garth was also very likeable,although he was a bit more introverted than the rest of them. Rick Danko was the man though! He was so genuine,and down to earth. He always made sure that I had a fresh beer in my hand on the tour bus. Just a real gent.

I was standing in the wings off stage while the they were waiting to go back on for an encore. Danko turns to me and says,"So Mr. Hook what song to you want to hear for the encore?" I was stunned! Was he asking me to call the encore song? I just laughed and said that I always loved Stage Fright. He looked at me and winked and told me to hold his beer,Lowenbrau-btw. They then went up on stage and busted out a blistering version of Stage Fright! In the middle of the song Danko looked at me and motioned to me that it was ok if I drank the rest of his beer! LOL! So I did! After the show I went back on the bus with them and Rick had gotten a copy of the setlist off his monitor and had the whole band sign it to me and he signed it with the notation,"To my buddy Steve. Thanks for hangin' with us and making us feel welcome in So.Fla! Rick Danko '94. As it turns out Stage Fright was their planned encore all along,but it was still very cool to have Danko look at me and wink as if to say,you got it my friend!

Always loved The Band,but that night sealed the deal for me. They were just such a great great band and such a bunch of wonderful guys!

Riffy

Great story!! The Last Waltz is one of the few live albums from any performer that I can listen to over and over again.
3rd November 2006 08:41 PM
Sir Stonesalot Levon has been playin' with the Howlin' For Hubert Band.

That's beyond cool.
3rd November 2006 09:22 PM
mojoman
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Great story!! The Last Waltz is one of the few live albums from any performer that I can listen to over and over again.

rock of ages
4th November 2006 10:28 AM
gimmekeef One of the best bands I ever saw.Was lucky to see them multi times all the way from 600,000 at Watkins Glen to small venues with 600 or less.Always great shows.Just got a great boot from them opening the remodeled Palladium back in 70's...Incredibly tasty!..I remember they blew Clapton off the stage at Rich Stadium Buffalo back in late 70's I believe....My mind a lil foggy these days....
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)