ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

McAfee Coliseum, Oakland, 6th November 2006
© Chris Stewart
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Modern Times best record of 2006 Return to archive Page: 1 2
2nd November 2006 10:40 AM
F505 Although we still have 2 months to go I predict Modern Times will be THE record of 2006. It's a true masterpiece. Spirit on the Water, Workingman's Blues #2 and Ain't Talkin are classic songs. No one will defeat Bob/Jack Frost.
2nd November 2006 10:44 AM
glencar Hmm, I'm not sure what the best is but I have MT & it's...okay.
2nd November 2006 10:50 AM
paddy IMHO the worst Bob Dylan album ever - by a country mile.and i have them all.
2nd November 2006 10:52 AM
Madafaka
quote:
F505 wrote:
Although we still have 2 months to go I predict Modern Times will be THE record of 2006. It's a true masterpiece. Spirit on the Water, Workingman's Blues #2 and Ain't Talkin are classic songs. No one will defeat Bob/Jack Frost.

Do you predict things? Ok, tell me the lottery numbers!
2nd November 2006 10:59 AM
Poison Dart That Dylan record is pretty good. But, it is far from a masterpiece.
2nd November 2006 12:09 PM
pdog Raconteurs Broken Boy Soldier...
2nd November 2006 01:38 PM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
paddy wrote:
IMHO the worst Bob Dylan album ever - by a country mile.and i have them all.

Craziest post in months. Misplaced, recalcitrant and ignorance.
2nd November 2006 01:42 PM
Drewby This is probably the best Dylan album in years, but it just has a very "old" feeling to it, and the funny thing is that its titled "modern time" and its definitely not modern. about four good songs....6/10 overall ranking
2nd November 2006 02:01 PM
Mel Belli I've tried to get more into "Modern Times" and I just think it's a wet noodle. "Love and Theft" was just as retro, but somehow had more spice to it. ... Anyway, I agree with whoever touted "Broken Boy Soldiers." There are a couple tracks on there - "Level" and "Store Bought Bones" - that I can't get enough of.
2nd November 2006 02:17 PM
ListenToTheLion What the hell is suddenly wrong with retro?
2nd November 2006 02:48 PM
paddy
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Craziest post in months. Misplaced, recalcitrant and ignorance.

i bow to your superior knowledge.here is a recent Spirit On the Water...............

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wkvhbw
2nd November 2006 02:55 PM
paddy lady came from baltimore

http://www.sendspace.com/file/71sxw8
2nd November 2006 02:59 PM
paddy no money down

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z98ubt
2nd November 2006 06:25 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
What the hell is suddenly wrong with retro?

Nothing wrong with it at all. My only beef with Dylan is that he's retro to the point of being reactionary - he has nothing to say to the modern scene and, so, has slunk away to his own little island.

Don't get me wrong: Dylan's is a great island to be stranded on.
2nd November 2006 06:45 PM
Sir Stonesalot I'm on the Raconteurs-Broken Boy Soldier bandwagon too. I also really like Radio Birdman-Zeno Beach. But I think the Rac's album is just a shade better.

And I like Modern Times too. But I don't think it's the album of the year.
2nd November 2006 08:26 PM
MikeyC613 Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers
2nd November 2006 11:08 PM
WattsAtScotts
quote:
MikeyC613 wrote:
Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers

No doubt, but Jet's new album is really good
3rd November 2006 03:47 AM
F505
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
he has nothing to say to the modern scene

Let's be honest. The same can be said of the Stones.
3rd November 2006 04:51 AM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
paddy wrote:
IMHO the worst Bob Dylan album ever - by a country mile.and i have them all.

MT may be a bit overrated - but "the worst Bob Dylan album ever"?
I mean, worse than
- Down in the Groove?
- Dylan?
- Self Portrait?
- Dylan & the Dead?
- Empire Burlesque?

seriously?
3rd November 2006 05:17 AM
lotsajizz Modern Times is Dylan's worst album in at least fifteen years....
3rd November 2006 05:58 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Modern Times is Dylan's worst album in at least fifteen years....

Worst post in at least 15 years.
3rd November 2006 06:42 AM
lotsajizz pray tell how this album is better than 'Time Out of Mind', or 'Oh Mercy', or 'Love And Theft'...I'm not saying it's bad, or that it is not light years ahead of most of what else is out there today, but Bob's last two albums have been transcendant, this one has three good tracks and then a bunch of Bing Crosby imitations....
3rd November 2006 07:31 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
pray tell how this album is better than 'Time Out of Mind', or 'Oh Mercy', or 'Love And Theft'...I'm not saying it's bad, or that it is not light years ahead of most of what else is out there today, but Bob's last two albums have been transcendant, this one has three good tracks and then a bunch of Bing Crosby imitations....

I didn't say it was better than the 3 you mentioned. But MT is practically on the same level. Please tell me what songs are Bing Crosby imitations. If they are I am gonna buy all Bing Crosby albums.
3rd November 2006 08:44 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
F505 wrote:

Let's be honest. The same can be said of the Stones.

True. The difference, though, is that, with ABB, the Stones didn't try to make an album that was self-consciously a rejection of contemporary rock. That's what I liked most about it: It was just the Stones being the Stones, naturally, for better and worse.
3rd November 2006 10:22 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

True. The difference, though, is that, with ABB, the Stones didn't try to make an album that was self-consciously a rejection of contemporary rock. That's what I liked most about it: It was just the Stones being the Stones, naturally, for better and worse.

What difference? The Stones made a rock album and Dylan made a Dylan-album. I do not consider Dylan as a typical "rock"-artist so I didn't expect a rock-album to be honest. And as a matter of fact I like ABB because it rocks and MT because it swings.
3rd November 2006 11:01 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

What difference? The Stones made a rock album and Dylan made a Dylan-album. I do not consider Dylan as a typical "rock"-artist so I didn't expect a rock-album to be honest. And as a matter of fact I like ABB because it rocks and MT because it swings.

"Dylan made a Dylan-album" -- yeah, but "Dylan albums" have not always been like "Love and Theft" and "Modern Times." They are self-consciously and extremely out of step with rock music. So, I'm not talking about a difference between and rock and swing, or rock and pre-rock; I'm talking about a difference in overall presentation and interaction with the public.
3rd November 2006 11:42 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

"Dylan made a Dylan-album" -- yeah, but "Dylan albums" have not always been like "Love and Theft" and "Modern Times." They are self-consciously and extremely out of step with rock music. So, I'm not talking about a difference between and rock and swing, or rock and pre-rock; I'm talking about a difference in overall presentation and interaction with the public.

Mel, I haven't the foggiest idea where you're talking about. Extremely out of step with rock music? IMO Dylan explores his roots and his music on MT is a mix of blues, country, jazz, rock and folk. It certainly is no straightforward rock 'n roll but tell me: which Dylan album is????
[Edited by ListenToTheLion]
3rd November 2006 12:28 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:

Mel, I haven't the foggiest idea where you're talking about. Extremely out of step with rock music? IMO Dylan explores his roots and his music on MT is a mix of blues, country, jazz, rock and folk. It certainly is no straightforward rock 'n roll but tell me: which Dylan album is????
[Edited by ListenToTheLion]

Look: All I'm trying to say is that Dylan, unlike the Stones, is very pointedly trying not to sound like *anything* that's going on in rock music right now. Quite apart from what genre the songs fall into, "Modern Times," is an acutely self-conscious rejection of musical trends and modern recording techniques.

The Stones just made a record with no such conceit in mind.

I don't know how to make myself any clearer on this!
3rd November 2006 12:30 PM
glencar I understand and agree with you!
3rd November 2006 12:41 PM
Mel Belli Thank you!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)