ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

McAfee Coliseum, Oakland, 6th November 2006
© Chris Stewart
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: OT: Anybody buy the new Who cd yet? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
1st November 2006 09:50 PM
mojoman
quote:
pdog wrote:
I listeneed to it all the way through. i was pleasantly surprised. good writing, good production... The Stones should wait 24 years between albums.

thats cold hard cash dog
2nd November 2006 10:28 AM
Joey
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The album in on track to sell over 100k the first week, enough for a top 5 debut in Billboard.

THIS MAKES JOEY EXCITED !!!!!!!!

I am now fully erect .
2nd November 2006 10:29 AM
Joey
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Wondering how come Tom Waits isn't credited for his guest vocals on In The Ether, though...

Tom Waits ?!

Really ?!

Is this true .....?!?!
2nd November 2006 10:30 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Joey wrote:

THIS MAKES JOEY EXCITED !!!!!!!!

I am now fully erect .

slow it down pee wee- it's still early.
2nd November 2006 10:33 AM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

slow it down pee wee- it's still early.

Good Morning Some Guy
2nd November 2006 11:24 AM
Egbert The smarmy young hipsters at Pitchfork actually deigned to review Endless Wire:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/39409/The_Who_Endless_Wire

The Who
Endless Wire
[Universal; 2006]
Rating: 4.7 [out of 10 - Egbert]

It's become a critical reflex to auto-pan records of new material released by classic rock legends, a seemingly coordinated effort by the music-scribe community to create a unified message of "shut up and play the old stuff!" It's usually a justifiable knee-jerk: So many acts reunite with dollar signs in their eyes and a diluted pool of talent that the few artists who do make relevant albums in old age-- your Neil Youngs, your Tom Waitseses-- are miraculous by comparison. Furthermore, there's something depressing about watching formerly popular bands persevere long past their prime, usually lacking some critical piece of their identity, be it simply youth, hunger, or the drive and courage to create something different.

The Who are more prone to these allegations than most, having famously decried the horrors of being old from their very beginning. Now 20 years past the release of a record called Who's Last, and four years after the 2002 death of bassist John Entwistle, the band's continued existence seems feeble on paper. Retaining the group's two most visible personalities, Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, is enough for the Who to remain a viable touring act for as long as they please, but anything new to come out of the group can't help but be predictable and hollow by this point, right?

Well, would it surprise you if that wasn't entirely the case with Endless Wire? Obviously the rating up there isn't gaudy, but it certainly could be far worse for a band that arguably hasn't produced worthwhile new material since the Carter administration. The first half of the record is everything one fears from a museum-piece band an entire generation past its prime: rehashes of old hits, preachy, creaky acoustic numbers, the noticeable absence of deceased contributors. The second half, on the other hand, throws a bit of a curveball for a band expected to be robotically strip-mining the past, debuting a portion of a new Pete Townshend rock opera that provides fleeting glimpses of the Who sounding remarkably true to their younger selves.

About that first half: It says it all that the lead track and single (if there really is a radio station out there that would play a new Who song), "Fragments", is full of the same synthesizer arpeggios that grace the recently fashionable "Baba O'Riley". That the song was produced by the "Method" from the aborted Lifehouse project (scraps of which became Who's Next) is the kind of trivia that will make the song excusable only to Who fanatics, while casual fans hear a knockoff with about 1% of the original's massive chorus. Elsewhere, the first half veers between acoustic naps inspired by The Passion of the Christ (seriously) and forced upbeat numbers (the commercial commentary "Mike Post Theme", and the Fleetwood-Mac glossy "It's Not Enough") that sorely miss the rumble bass of "The Ox", not to mention Keith Moon's spectacular clatter.

Strangely, all the missing elements and nostalgia-grabs that make the first half of Endless Wire such a sad listen organize themselves into a form that is faintly exciting for the second part, which is comprised of songs from a rock-opera-in-progress called Wire & Glass. This shocking turn of events sorta makes sense; after all, it's vain for Townshend & Daltrey at 60 to strive for their raucous early days, but the song-cycle heritage of Tommy and Quadrophenia remains within their now limited range.

Focusing on a narrative, confusing as it might be, appears to give the band more purpose and to transmute its new weaknesses into old strengths. Daltrey's bellow, which sounds silly over the front half's thinner sound, works better in the service of dramatic material like "Sound Round" or "Mirror Door" (which, like the album cover, hearkens back to the imagery of Tommy more than a little bit). In service to his story, Townshend gets more interesting with his arrangements, like the interwoven piano and guitar of "Unholy Trinity" or the much weirder reprise "Fragments of Fragments", segueing together mini-songs like a calmer, wiser "A Quick One".

Is all that enough to save Endless Wire? Again, based on the score, obviously not. But it is a rare, unexpected move from a Hall of Fame band, creditable for being more than the usual Give The People What They Want pension scheme. In most instances, the best case scenario for a reunion album is to justify its existence, to appear as more than just a pointless exercise in career perpetuation. For the second half of Endless Wire, the Who at least meet those qualifications, producing work that adds, if incrementally, to their career body of work rather than just damaging the reputation of their long-ago days.

-Rob Mitchum, November 02, 2006

2nd November 2006 11:28 AM
BILL PERKS THAT'S A TOUGH REVIEW-
HERE'S ANOTHER
http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/12075311/review/12222928/endless_wire

DAVID FRICKE REVIEWS ALL OLD GROUPS APPARENTLY
2nd November 2006 11:29 AM
Some Guy
quote:
Joey wrote:

Good Morning Some Guy

sup my nizzle?
2nd November 2006 01:27 PM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:

sup my nizzle?

I am in ' Who Heaven ' this week ......

...and you ?!
2nd November 2006 01:50 PM
Madafaka
2nd November 2006 03:19 PM
Joey
quote:
Madafaka wrote:

You are much loved .
2nd November 2006 03:22 PM
jb Not a hit imo.
2nd November 2006 03:24 PM
BILL PERKS NOT HAPPENING YET JOEY-I MISS THE OX
2nd November 2006 03:27 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
NOT HAPPENING YET JOEY-I MISS THE OX

Me too ......

But nobody lives forever !
2nd November 2006 07:10 PM
Soldatti I'll buy it tomorrow.
3rd November 2006 09:54 PM
time is on my side
quote:
solmask wrote:
I have had a copy of it for about a week when i first listened to i thought it was ok . But with repeated listening over the week it is gettiing better and better its definitely a grower .

I've found that too. The album definitely gets better and better with repeated listens. Surprising, I would now say this is a very good album though, in my opinion, it's not great by any stretch of the imagination. Also, to me, there's only traces of the classic Who sound (1975 and before, the Ox being sorely missed) with much of the sound having much more in common with the sound of the three albums that came after 1975 (Who Are You, Faces Dances, and It' Hard). When compared to those three, I would rate this one very favorably. In fact, I would go so far as to say Endless Wire may be better than those three though I would love a more upbeat song like say Daily Records to be included since Endless Wire is chock full of laid back acoustic numbers.

It's seems like at least half of the album is made up of acoustic guitar or the occasional piano driven ballad with Pete singing a large number of those songs (a few seem to come right out of some of the Scoop albums which is a good thing while Pete also sings the few now enviably expected stinkers which is not a good thing).

The more upbeat songs (let's just say the ones that are not acoustic) are generally very good but, again, I would not use the word great to describe them. Really like Mike Post Theme, Black Widow's Eyes, It's Not Enough, Sound Around, Pick Up The Peace, and We Got A Hit with Fragments starting to grow on me (even though it lifts the riff right from Baba I didn't like it at first). To me, Mirror Door is only an average song.

In my opinion, the best songs are the Daltry sung acoustic numbers (A Man In a Purple Dress which is the best song on the album and Tea & Theatre).

Though many will say It' Not Enough when describing the Who's Endless Wire, I say, all in all, it's a very good effort much better than could be expected. It's a grower.

[Edited by time is on my side]
4th November 2006 07:33 PM
Joey
quote:
time is on my side wrote:

In my opinion, the best songs are the Daltry sung acoustic numbers (A Man In a Purple Dress which is the best song on the album and Tea & Theatre).

Though many will say It' Not Enough when describing the Who's Endless Wire, I say, all in all, it's a very good effort much better than could be expected. It's a grower.

Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)