ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2004 Someone... pending credits - with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Springsteen draws 80,000 (nsc) Return to archive
November 1st, 2004 06:10 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Springsteen draws 80,000 to cheer Kerry

Rock icon Bruce Springsteen has given John Kerry's White House campaign some star power, whipping up a crowd of about 80,000 people at a rally in Madison, in the swing state of Wisconsin.

'The Boss', famed for hits including Born in the USA, said Senator Kerry had lived his country's history for 50 years and painted him as a true guardian of the gritty working folk and American fables that people his songs.

Thousands of spectators packed balconies on wooden houses along a stretch of road climbing up the Midwest state's white Capitol, packed with what fire chiefs said was at least 80,000 people.

Springsteen, making a rare foray into campaign politics, said his songs were about "who we are, what we stand for, what we fight for now".

"I believe these essential ideas about America [are] what is at stake on November 2," he added.

"I believe Senator Kerry honours these ideas. He has lived our history for the last 50 years. He has formed an adult view of America and its people.

"The future is now and it's time to let our passions loose," said Springsteen, clad in a simple dark jacket and blue pants, strumming his black acoustic guitar.

"I am here today to stand alongside Senator Kerry and say that the country we carry in our hearts is waiting, and together we can move America towards its deepest ideas," Springsteen said after playing his song Promised Land.

Then he joked: "Besides, we have had a sax player [Bill Clinton] in the House, we need a guitar player in the White House."

"This is for you John," Springsteen said, as he launched into his hit No Surrender, which Kerry has adopted as his political anthem.

Senator Kerry beamed as he bounded up a ramp to the stage, slapping palms and punching the air before embracing Springsteen.

"No retreat baby, no surrender," Senator Kerry roared, parroting the lines of the theme song, which booms out every time he takes the stage at a political event.

Senator Kerry took a sharp jab at President George W Bush's fitness for office: "When George Bush heard 'the Boss' was playing and was going to be here with me today, he thought they meant Dick Cheney."

The presence of Springsteen, or a desire to pander to young people in the crowd, seemed to bring out a rebellious streak in Senator Kerry.

"I tell you, being on the campaign trail is a bit like being back in college: late nights, a lot of beer and ... cold pizza."

Springsteen is also due to join Senator Kerry for an election-eve rally in Cleveland, Ohio, next week.

November 1st, 2004 12:34 PM
glencar "The Boss', famed for hits including Born in the USA, said Senator Kerry had lived his country's history for 50 years and painted him as a true guardian of the gritty working folk and American fables that people his songs."

This is only the second sentence & I had to stop reading. First off, Kerry is 60 so the 50 years thing is silly. And if you think some New England blue blood cares a whit about teh working class, buy my bridge in Brooklyn, half price!
November 1st, 2004 12:36 PM
Some Guy But, he's got a plan.
November 1st, 2004 12:36 PM
jb I think Kerry probably cares a little more b/c of his experience in Vietnam...Bush seems very indifferent to the poor....same for his old man..
November 1st, 2004 12:56 PM
glencar A plan? LOL The oldest political scam. I've got a plan but I can't be too specific yet. One part of his plan is to raise the FICA withholding limit to $120,000 instead of teh current $90,000. Why not eliminate the cap altogether? Why hit the middle class harder & harder andact like he cares about us?
November 1st, 2004 03:22 PM
parmeda One of my neighbors took a jaunt up to Madison for this... the dumbass took his new digital camera and had no clue what he was doing! I am still trying to decypher some good shots out of his memory stick...

...fuckin' rookie, lol

Gazza, I know YOU'D be interested in them.
I'll forward them on to you if I have any luck.
November 1st, 2004 03:23 PM
jb
quote:
parmeda wrote:
One of my neighbors took a jaunt up to Madison for this... the dumbass took his new digital camera and had no clue what he was doing! I am still trying to decypher some good shots out of his memory stick...

...fuckin' rookie, lol

Gazza, I know YOU'D be interested in them.
I'll forward them on to you if I have any luck.

You still got the Cubs!!!
November 1st, 2004 03:30 PM
parmeda ...darlin', I will always have the Cubs
The blood in my veins runs a beautiful shade of royal blue!
November 2nd, 2004 10:43 AM
keith_tif Sprindsteen is great!
An artist who represents the good side of the States!

November 2nd, 2004 10:47 AM
Gazza thank you, P - it would be greatly appreciated
November 2nd, 2004 11:07 AM
parmeda I'm still playing with 'em Gazza...they're in some real sad shape, lol.

I'll let you know how it goes.
November 2nd, 2004 11:14 AM
glencar I really feel like never listening to Springsteen again if Kerry wins. This was a real turn-off.