ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2004 Someone... pending credits - with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: need help from big rolling stones fans Return to archive
October 30th, 2004 11:50 AM
blah In a nutshell, I'm just getting into the Rolling Stones, and I'm trying to decide what cds to get. I already know I'm getting the classics (Begar's Banquet, Exile, Bleed, Sticky Fingers) and some others (Aftermath, Satanic Request, Between the Buttons) and the earlier material too, but the problem is there are multiple versions (US and UK) for a lot of the earlier stuff, so I don't know which ones to get in order to make sure I get all the stuff out there, without buying the same songs, or missing some altogether.

I don't even know if one or the other was standardized when switched over to cd format like what happened with The Beatles, so I'm at a loss of what to do. Plus there's the problem of getting some of the non-LP singles like 'Jumpin Jack Flash'. Are there any compilations out there that just have non-LP singles, and not Greatest Hits type tracklistings?

Any help would be appreciated.
October 30th, 2004 11:53 AM
Moonisup just buy Live licks
October 30th, 2004 11:58 AM
blah thanks, but I'm looing for a little more then that.
October 30th, 2004 12:17 PM
crb69 I always liked the earlier US versions. However, some of the UK re-releases do seem interesting but if you get the US versions of Buttons, Flowers, Aftermath, & the (3CD)Singles Collection you pretty much get the most of the 60's later released stuff. As for later on I would recommend all CD's from the '69-'74 Mick Taylor era along with Some Girls, Tattoo You, Still Life, Undercover, Flashpoint, & Bridges to Babylon (to start with)...after which you will surely be hooked!
October 30th, 2004 12:55 PM
blah ok thanks, that helps.

But what about the very early stuff, as in the first 3-4 albums? There are so many versions of these cds, I can only assume that the cd rereleases would have the definitive material on them, but I'm not sure.
October 30th, 2004 02:45 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
just buy Live licks

And then Still Life
October 30th, 2004 08:20 PM
Mr Hess And get Keith's first solo album, Talk Is Cheap!
October 30th, 2004 09:48 PM
kath 3 cd singles collection is a great idea!! there's a lot of old stuff on there, and some kinda obscure stuff, too.

you should start with number one, man. get "england's newest hitmakers", "aftermath","12x5","40 licks" is a good one to have, too.

don't forget voodoo lounge.
October 30th, 2004 09:55 PM
glencar Get 12X5. Now!
October 30th, 2004 10:20 PM
MP Black and Blue
October 30th, 2004 10:20 PM
MP Tattoo You
October 30th, 2004 10:21 PM
MP Hot Rocks would be a good one
October 30th, 2004 10:22 PM
MP ...but what do I know....LOL
October 30th, 2004 10:24 PM
MP definitely DONT buy Their Satanic Majesty's Request....
October 31st, 2004 04:09 PM
kath get "RS NOW" NOW!!
October 31st, 2004 04:48 PM
gypsy Don't get "Dirty Work" or "Their Satanic Majesties Request."
I agree with whomever suggested "Hot Rocks." You get their biggest hits on two discs. But, you should get "Exile," "Let it Bleed," and "Sticky Fingers." After that, you can start looking into more obscure Stones songs.
October 31st, 2004 05:40 PM
Back Street Girl Definitely buy Their Satanic Majesty's Request.
October 31st, 2004 05:51 PM
Ronnie B. Wood Whats wrong with TSMR???? ITS GREAAAT ALBUM! RELALY

BUY STEEL WHEELS!
October 31st, 2004 08:52 PM
Bloozehound Their Satanic Majesty's Request sux

only 4 songs on it worth hearing, they're good songs, but the rest of the album's nonsense practically overwhelms that fact

November 2nd, 2004 03:45 PM
jb Goodluck!
November 3rd, 2004 09:50 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
MP wrote:
definitely DONT buy Their Satanic Majesty's Request....

yer fuckin' nuts

most underrated album of all time (and this really pisses me off)
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
November 3rd, 2004 09:56 AM
glencar If nothing else, it has Bill's song, In Another Land.
November 3rd, 2004 10:00 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
glencar wrote:
If nothing else, it has Bill's song, In Another Land.

and that was a great song IMO....great moment for the psychodelia thing...ALways wanted to know WHO the hell was snoring at the end of the song.....(my father really use to sound like him)