ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2004 Someone... pending credits - with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "Alfie" soundtrack - the Billboard review Return to archive
October 30th, 2004 07:17 AM
Monkey Woman From Yahoo! News:
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20041029/review_nm/review_music_albums_dc_1

ALBUM: ALFIE -- MUSIC FROM THE MOTION PICTURE
NEW YORK (Billboard) - The pairing of Mick Jagger and Dave Stewart (who wrote, performed and produced this soundtrack) lends an ideal accompaniment to the remake of the 1966 film "Alfie," the story of a carefree womanizer for whom sexual conquest brings pleasure and pain. Jagger deftly captures the duality of the protagonist's persona. Tracks like "Old Habits Die Hard" and "Let's Make It Up" recall recent Rolling Stones offerings, midtempo tunes in which lust and virility are imbued with wistfulness and regret. Uptempo rockers, many of them instrumental save for Jagger's ad-libbing and emotive harp, bring an exhilarating balance. The outstanding guitar work of Stewart, Ally McErlaine and Jesse Davey maintain the album's dynamic pace. Joss Stone, Sheryl Crow and Nadirah "Nadz" Seid are also featured on this fun collection.
October 30th, 2004 11:53 AM
Madafaka Thank you very much my French friend
BTW, did you buy it? What's your own opinion?
October 30th, 2004 02:42 PM
Soldatti Thanks
October 30th, 2004 09:41 PM
glencar I must get this one right away!
October 31st, 2004 04:07 PM
Monkey Woman You're welcome, my Argentinian friend!

Yes, I got the CD. It's not only listenable, but very enjoyable too! Great voice on Mick, a handful of cool melodies, instrumentals where Mick's harp shines -- oh, and a nice job with the production, too.

Here's another review for ya :

-----

Jagger and pals serenade "Alfie"

By The Denver Post

ROCK
"Alfie: Music From the Motion Picture"

Mick Jagger, Dave Stewart and others

Virgin

Most movie soundtracks are little more than overpriced mix tapes. What sets "Alfie" apart is the inimitable voice of Rolling Stones frontman Mick Jagger and tight production of former Eurythmics maestro Dave Stewart. And while absolutely nothing new is presented here, it's still a player for any Stones fan.

Jagger and Stewart wrote, produced and performed the majority of the songs. Joss Stone, the 17-year-old British soul sensation, makes a couple of appearances, including the Burt Bacharach/Hal David-penned title track, but it's the new Jagger/Stewart work that's key.

They wrote "Blind Leading the Blind," which appears here in two versions, and the song is a straightforward bluesy meditation on the traditional rock melody. The acoustic version is rawer and more authentic and actually harkens back to Jagger's stripped-down "Angie" days, which is refreshing amid all the intense Pro Tools work throughout the rest of the album. The "Blind" radio edit is more dressed-up and less special and is, of course, likely the one they'll use in the film.

"Lonely Without You (This Christmas)" works with Jagger and Stone dueting with admirable chemistry. And "Old Habits Die Hard," though typical in its formulaic sweeping Jagger presentation, has a possible single in the alternate version featuring Sheryl Crow. A nitpick: Crow reaches a little hard in her attempt to keep up with Jagger's vocal swagger. On her line, "I've never taken your calls/You see, I put a block on my phone," she twangs the last word with such an obnoxious ring that it comes off as forced.

- Ricardo Baca

[Edited by Monkey Woman]
October 31st, 2004 08:21 PM
Madafaka Thanx again!
October 31st, 2004 10:16 PM
glencar I like the version w/o Sheryl better. Her voice is too "reedy."