ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 2004 Someone... pending credits - with thanks to Gypsy!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Live Licks OUT NOW ! Return to archive Page: 1 2
November 1st, 2004 07:50 AM
Lil Brian Maybe we should tree "Live Licks" on Rocks Off... :-)
November 1st, 2004 08:35 AM
Madafaka
quote:
Lil Brian wrote:
Maybe we should tree "Live Licks" on Rocks Off... :-)

We've made slightly better than it!
Licked All Over rulez!
November 1st, 2004 11:59 AM
Chris Diemoz People,

my truth on Live Licks can be read on Stonesland blog.

http://chris73.tblog.com

I know this will provide me plenty of new friends, but it's my advice.

Ciao,
Chris
November 1st, 2004 12:06 PM
jb One of the worst ive albums ever put out by any group ever!!!
November 1st, 2004 04:55 PM
lucasd4 I agree completely. I think Live Licks is great. Anyone who thinks that Flashpoint, Still Life or No Security is better is deaf and dumb....real dumb....

quote:
Chris Diemoz wrote:
People,

my truth on Live Licks can be read on Stonesland blog.

http://chris73.tblog.com

I know this will provide me plenty of new friends, but it's my advice.

Ciao,
Chris

November 1st, 2004 04:56 PM
lucasd4
quote:
jb wrote:
One of the worst ive albums ever put out by any group ever!!!

JB....deaf, dumb, blind and stupid
November 1st, 2004 06:13 PM
luridchief AMG Review--if you check their other Stones reviews, you'll see that they're pretty reliable:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:wna9keztfq7x~T1
November 1st, 2004 08:37 PM
Soldatti This album not is for the fans, for that they released Four Flicks last year. I think that this album is released out of time, why not when they did Four Flicks? why a year later?
November 1st, 2004 10:59 PM
lucasd4 If the Stones made albums only for the die hards that frequent message boards, they'd sell about a thousand albums a year....

quote]Soldatti wrote:
This album not is for the fans, for that they released Four Flicks last year. I think that this album is released out of time, why not when they did Four Flicks? why a year later?
[/quote]

November 1st, 2004 11:55 PM
luridchief It's available via the iTunes Music Store RIGHT NOW (as of 11:45 PM Eastern), so I'm downloading it as I type these words. $16.98 for 23 songs--who wants to be the first to call me a dumb-ass? :P

PS: It'll also give me something NEW to listen to on my iPod as I stand in line tomorrow, waiting to vote for Kerry! : )

[Edited by luridchief]
November 2nd, 2004 12:56 AM
luridchief I also reorganized the sequencing to my liking:

Brown Sugar
Rocks Off
It's Only Rock n' Roll (But I Like It)
Paint It, Black
Angie
Monkey Man
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Neighbours
Worried About You
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
That's How Strong My Love Is
Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
The Nearness of You
You Don't Have to Mean It
Happy
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
Rock Me, Baby
Beast of Burden
When the Whip Comes Down
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Street Fighting Man

I used an iTunes AppleScript called "Albumize" that let's you resequence with the click of a mouse--you can get it at the following:

http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/index.php

First impressions:
1. The cut in "Rocks Off" is disgraceful--it was my favorite part!
2. The mixing of the guitars IS great--the best since LYL!
3. It should have been sequenced more like an actual show!
4. Jagger sounds great--he's really stepped up to the plate vocally!

And on a personal note, I'm not going to piss and moan TOO much because I almost croaked from Lymphoma just one year ago . . . and I honestly never thought that I'd see another Stones release of any kind! LOL

I hit 40 this coming Sunday and I've been Cancer-free for almost a year! Bring on that new studio album!!!!!!! LOL
November 2nd, 2004 01:22 AM
IanBillen
quote:
luridchief wrote:
I also reorganized the sequencing to my liking:

Brown Sugar
Rocks Off
It's Only Rock n' Roll (But I Like It)
Paint It, Black
Angie
Monkey Man
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Neighbours
Worried About You
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
That's How Strong My Love Is
Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
The Nearness of You
You Don't Have to Mean It
Happy
Start Me Up
Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
Rock Me, Baby
Beast of Burden
When the Whip Comes Down
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
Street Fighting Man

I used an iTunes AppleScript called "Albumize" that let's you resequence with the click of a mouse--you can get it at the following:

http://www.malcolmadams.com/itunes/index.php

First impressions:
1. The cut in "Rocks Off" is disgraceful--it was my favorite part!
2. The mixing of the guitars IS great--the best since LYL!
3. It should have been sequenced more like an actual show!
4. Jagger sounds great--he's really stepped up to the plate vocally!

And on a personal note, I'm not going to piss and moan TOO much because I almost croaked from Lymphoma just one year ago . . . and I honestly never thought that I'd see another Stones release of any kind! LOL

I hit 40 this coming Sunday and I've been Cancer-free for almost a year! Bring on that new studio album!!!!!!! LOL

Wow, You Go Now. Glad you like the album and especially glad your in good health finally.
Ian
November 2nd, 2004 01:51 AM
Zack 1. Was the cut in Rocks Off just for time, or was there another reason?

2. What about overdubs? Anyone compare these versions to the boot or Four Flicks versions?

Thanks
November 2nd, 2004 12:14 PM
glencar I bought the album at Best Buy a couple of hours ago. It's only $15.99. I haven't listened to enough to form an opinion yet.
November 2nd, 2004 12:15 PM
jb The worst live album ever made..this is the final nail in the coffin....bloody awful.
November 2nd, 2004 12:18 PM
Gazza
quote:
Zack wrote:
1. Was the cut in Rocks Off just for time, or was there another reason?

2. What about overdubs? Anyone compare these versions to the boot or Four Flicks versions?

Thanks

1. God knows. Disc 1 is only 49 minutes so its not like they were trying to cram songs in. Cutting songs - especially when they have been deemed as worthy of release on an official DVD already - makes no sense. However the original track listing had about 32 songs so I'm guessing that had two CD's full of songs, with some edits to cram them in - then dropped a few songs and just left the edited versions as they were.

2. I would imagine there's overdubs. But then there already were on the DVD.
November 2nd, 2004 12:20 PM
Gazza
quote:
jb wrote:
The worst live album ever made..this is the final nail in the coffin....bloody awful.

Another indictment of the hateful, anti-stones American public at large. This is outrageous and shameful...I am embarrassed for all our American posters, especially Joey
[Edited by Gazza]
November 2nd, 2004 01:21 PM
glencar Hey man, it's not over until soldatti posts the numbers!
November 2nd, 2004 02:10 PM
jb
November 2nd, 2004 03:05 PM
KeepRigid The edit in Rocks Off is the only thing that really bothers me about this release. It's very sloppy and, ironically, removes the part of the song where the singer got his rocks off. The song itself is a mess, but is a nice reminder that even when they're off, they're still pretty good. (Personally, I was hoping the even bigger train wreck that was Hand of Fate would've made it.)

The real problem with this release is not edits or overdubs, but the fact that everyone knows this could have been a killer. A single club show would've been ideal, but what the hell. I doubt it will change anyone's mind, but it's also not the bloated effort I had feared.

Jagger sounds great, and Keith's chunky ass guitar is a little too loud- just as it should be. I was expecting an overabundance of backup vocals, so it was a nice surprise to hear Mick stuck out all alone so much- especially on warhorses like IORR. I could've used less Chuck, Ronnie's still a bit too low, but overall the guitars are prominent.

And disc 2 has some really great moments:

THSMLI - You can really hear what this album could've been.

Nearness - I used to carry a little sign to shows, hoping Keith would see it and play this one. It's kind've sad now that the dream is dead. Seriously, who would've thought this would ever be on a live album? I also love that you can hear gypsy's little giggle after Keith says, "gold rings on ya".

Beast of Burden - I've come to the conclusion that we'll just never hear a bad version of this- unless it's by Bette Midler.

Worried - Another one of those you just never expected on a live album.

Incidentally, I like the album's artwork. It's cheap, trashy, and gets the job done. Obvious contractual fulfillments aside, you also have to love the audacity of putting out a DOUBLE live album (nearly) six years to the day of the last live flop.
November 2nd, 2004 03:08 PM
jb I listened to it today, and it is the worst product they have ever put out.
November 2nd, 2004 03:18 PM
lucasd4 You're still an idiot and your avatar still sucks...who's that monkey??

quote:
jb wrote:
I listened to it today, and it is the worst product they have ever put out.

November 2nd, 2004 03:18 PM
jb
quote:
lucasd4 wrote:
You're still an idiot and your avatar still sucks...who's that monkey??

Meine Liebe abs shae monkey!!!!
November 2nd, 2004 03:24 PM
charlotte $13.99 at MusicMatch-Maybe a price war will break out!! and we can get it for .99cents!!
November 2nd, 2004 03:25 PM
jb
quote:
charlotte wrote:
$13.99 at MusicMatch-Maybe a price war will break out!! and we can get it for .99cents!!

Pure crap reflected by the low price..lucky if this sells 100k units USA.
November 2nd, 2004 03:38 PM
jb
quote:
jb wrote:

Good post!!!
November 2nd, 2004 08:31 PM
Soldatti
quote:
jb wrote:

Four Flicks sold more than 315,000 copies (US), that number x4 (the number of DVD's) and they sold 1.260,000 DVD's.
Live Licks will sell close to that (300,000) and will be certified Gold because it's double and his running time is more than 100 minutes.
November 2nd, 2004 10:39 PM
Happy Motherfucker!! The Stones have lost touch with the reality of the music business when it comes to live material. They should do what The Grateful Dead organization does. They have a live series called "Dick's Picks", which are complete shows recorded throughout the history of the band, and very good quality to boot. At least 2 or 3 shows are released each year. It is now up to something like, show 34. this is the way The Stones should be doing business instead of this crap that they are releasing.
Page: 1 2