ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Toyota Center Houston, TX, 1st December 2005
© Wenn with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Jagger - "Hopefully we will announce a big tour of Asia soon" Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th October 2007 12:08 PM
Gazza Sir Michael Phillip 'Mick' Jagger is indefatigable at 64. As a special guest of Maharaja Gaj Singh II, Jagger is in Jodhpur to attend the Rajasthan International Folk Festival organised by the Jaipur Virasat Foundation. The lean and fit iconic star of the Rolling Stones shares some light moments in an exclusive interview with Meenakshi Sinha

What brings you to India?

I’m on a holiday as I finished a Rolling Stones tour in August-end. We were on the road for almost two years. But more than me, it’s my daughter Jade who has been coming to India a lot as she’s doing jewellery design from here. I brought her here first when she was seven.

How’s the experience been?

Exhilarating! The (Mehrangarh) fort looks so magnificent and vibrant. Such festivals give a great platform to folk artists. Many musicians from America, England and other parts are giving a lot of their time, which is inspiring.

What do you think of the folk music of India?

I listen to a lot of it. I feel much of classical music is inspired from folk music. India is such a vast and changing country. Europeans, and especially Americans, think that countries like India never change. But that is not true.

Countries like England which saw fast development in the 19th century also witnessed the disappearance of folk music. I fear this can happen anywhere, quickly. The only exception was Ireland which kept alive a vibrant folk music culture.

What about music from Bollywood?

I hear a lot of it in England. Much of film music in India is based on folk music. Our music like Blues is also based on folk with synthesis of simple melodies.

You are the oldest band still performing. When will you do an India tour?

We have some very good offers, but we want to do it as part of a tour of Asia. When we played in Bangalore and Mumbai, we didn’t play in Delhi and Kolkata (Calcutta). We would love to do that now, as there’s great demand. Hopefully, we will announce a big Asia tour soon, which might include Japan.

You are a great cricket fan. What do you think of T20?

It is an interesting concept, but I also like test cricket. This is not to say that I am a purist (laughs). The T20 tournament was fun. I saw the India-Australia match. As it was the first time, it was quaint. I think England didn’t put the right team for T20 and structured it the wrong way. India picked the best one-day players.

There’s a buzz that Rolling Stone magazine is coming to India.

It will be coming soon. But it will be different from the American Rolling Stone magazine as it will concentrate on Indian music and the Indian scene. India is a vast market that people would like to take advantage of.

How would you compare the music of 1960s and 1970s with today’s?

There are many similarities. Young people today find it easy to get into bands. That was true in the 1960s also. When you are young, you would rather be in a band than be a singer writing songs. In India, I feel there are no pure rock bands, unlike in the West, where every year you have a new teenage crop coming up.

You have been an astute businessman and started your own company before anyone else. How do you combine the roles of singer and businessman?

I find business dull and boring. I am a musician first. Most artists don’t really want to be bothered with business. For a businessman, making deals is fun. For me, singing and writing songs is fun. But, I have to do some business as it’s a necessity, so I try to keep it at a minimal level.

What inspires you to write songs?

Many things. Basically human relationships, man-woman ties, human emotions, observations on social lives...

What album are you working on?

I am not working on anything in particular now. I am just going to write songs for a couple of months. I have also produced a movie called ‘The Women’. It’s all about women and has only women acting in it. It is a remake of the 1939 classic comedy by the same title. The Rolling Stones also has a concert movie by Martin Scorsese, which we have finished editing.

Your observations on India?

You see many cultures living side-by-side here. An intriguing scene was in Agra where I saw a guy with his camel cart peering inside a shopping mall.

[email protected]

(thanks to pgarof on IORR for finding this interview)

[Edited by Gazza]
28th October 2007 12:22 PM
Mr Jurkka That was nice interwiev thanks for posting. Asian tour could be interesting. And writing songs.
28th October 2007 01:40 PM
speedfreakjive i'm there if its true
28th October 2007 02:38 PM
steel driving hammer Far East Band...

28th October 2007 03:03 PM
pdog Asia wuld include Oz too. This is good news since these two markets seem to get less shows, like South America.... and you know if that happens they would jump around Europe and The USA too...
28th October 2007 03:13 PM
GotToRollMe Yesssssss...
And so it begins...
28th October 2007 04:06 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:
Asia wuld include Oz too. This is good news since these two markets seem to get less shows, like South America.... and you know if that happens they would jump around Europe and The USA too...

They plan to spend about 3 months on the road in the first half of 2008, so I've been told by more than one person

Asia - Feb/March

US - April

I have heard there was a possibility of a small number of European shows (maybe in their more profitable markets there) to tie in with the release of 'Shine A Light' but I'm not sure if that's going to happen.
28th October 2007 04:07 PM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Yesssssss...
And so it begins...

It never ends!
28th October 2007 04:12 PM
Poplar
woohoo! One more time!
28th October 2007 04:22 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Gazza wrote:

They plan to spend about 3 months on the road in the first half of 2008, so I've been told by more than one person

Asia - Feb/March

US - April

I have heard there was a possibility of a small number of European shows (maybe in their more profitable markets there) to tie in with the release of 'Shine A Light' but I'm not sure if that's going to happen.

India is becoming a global market now for the entertainment industry, so no surprises they're considering going there - large demand, so promoters will pay large sums to get them there, presumably
28th October 2007 06:17 PM
mojoman tarps can be manufactured cheaper in asia........
28th October 2007 06:30 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Far East Band...

That's nice. But I'm sad.
28th October 2007 06:33 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Asia - Feb/March

US - April

I'm so excited, I'm inside this "surprise" cake.
28th October 2007 09:21 PM
gotdablouse Nice, this too "What album are you working on?

I am not working on anything in particular now. I am just going to write songs for a couple of months."

Hope it will be more in the LIND style than SSMC though!
28th October 2007 09:58 PM
glencar Yes, let's hope so. And let's also hope they don't spend too long in India. Mick should remember where his fanbase/money pot lives!
28th October 2007 11:37 PM
aladdinstory
quote:
glencar wrote:
Yes, let's hope so. And let's also hope they don't spend too long in India. Mick should remember where his fanbase/money pot lives!

where is that fanbase in 2008? definitely more internationally diverse than its ever been. doing an extended asian tour(tying in with aus/nz as well) makes alot of seuse, maybe even separate from either one of north america or europe. it's not the '70s anymore and there is much money to made on those shores, and the fact that mick recognizes that is just another reason why they continue to break concert sales records every tour. the rolling stones entity continues to evolve and change.
28th October 2007 11:41 PM
Poison Dart What about some new music?
29th October 2007 03:52 AM
corgi37 This is a surprise! A tour here would be a disaster. They cant get away anymore bringing out 2nd rate stages, yet charging over the top prices. People here watch the tour on the net from day 1 saying "WOW! Cant wait to get that production over here", only to be confronted with some fucking fluro arrows made of sail cloth.

An arena tour would be ok, but again, i cant see people forking over $500.00 to see a minimal production and hear the same fucking songs (bar maybe 1-2 differences) only 2 years after they were last here.

They had their chances to consolidate a massive, recurring fan base in 76, 82, 90, & 98. That chance is blown forever.

And i cant see them designing a brand new stage just for Asia. They can talk all they like, but it's only westerners who go see them.

Jagger's full of shit. It will be a U.S. tour again, Japan maybe, then a gimmick show in India and that will be it.

Am i a Negative Nelly? Well, maybe. But with fuel prices skyrocketing, interest rates increasing and cost of living getting too much for people, i cant see it happening.

And we all know they will not adjust things. They wont drop prices and they wont massively change the set list.

I dont think they are the great drawcards here they were, or thought they were. Only oldies radio plays them now. Even the 5 gold star classics are not played on rock radio anymore. It shames me to say there is intense desire about the upcoming Eagles cd & tour than there ever will be about the Stones. It was their (economic) decision to screw us over many times, and now it's our turn to say "We dont need you".

We have Leo Sayer as an Aussie now. Fuck, we dont NEED anyone!
29th October 2007 04:30 AM
Daethgod im hearing ya corgs

but you and me will be screaming our tits off from Row 4 Sec A when the circus hits Melb for 3 consecutive nights at Rod Laver Arena

bring it on

29th October 2007 10:44 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Asia - Feb/March

US - April

I need to start cashing in bottle deposits
29th October 2007 10:55 AM
Mel Belli Sway, I love it when you burn through several threads in one stretch and leave the snarky one-liners. Sway-droppings!
29th October 2007 11:04 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Sway, I love it when you burn through several threads in one stretch and leave the snarky one-liners. Sway-droppings!

my dog leaves those all over the place
29th October 2007 11:15 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Asia - Feb/March

US - April

YES !!!!!

http://www.iorr.org/news.htm

BEST STONES YET !!!! ... I am now so excited that I am typing this with my nipples .

It just keeps getting better & better --- Wanna bet they play Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh City ?! ....Thailand ?!

Developing .............................

Jacky !

29th October 2007 12:05 PM
polytoxic For what it's worth, I've heard another bit of gossip that they are in talks to play the grand opening of the Dubai Tower. Gigs to the highest bidder I guess.
Not exactly the intimate blues theatre tour I've been dreaming about.
Anyways, it's not really hard fact just more speculation and rumour but I get the feeling they'd rather do the same-old for people who will pay to see the legend than any kind of new artistic venture. Still, at this point, it's comforting to know they're not quite retired yet.
29th October 2007 12:06 PM
Dick B Cheney don't go booking flights yet, I got some big plans for the mid east and asia.
29th October 2007 12:16 PM
Gazza
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
For what it's worth, I've heard another bit of gossip that they are in talks to play the grand opening of the Dubai Tower. Gigs to the highest bidder I guess.
Not exactly the intimate blues theatre tour I've been dreaming about.
Anyways, it's not really hard fact just more speculation and rumour but I get the feeling they'd rather do the same-old for people who will pay to see the legend than any kind of new artistic venture. Still, at this point, it's comforting to know they're not quite retired yet.

Dubai is certainly highly rumoured for 2008 and has been somewhere theyve been intending to play now for about two years.

I hadnt heard the Dubai Tower story before. However, I did a wiki search on it and it's not scheduled for completion until the end of 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubai_tower
[Edited by Gazza]
29th October 2007 01:11 PM
polytoxic
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Dubai is certainly highly rumoured for 2008 and has been somewhere theyve been intending to play now for about two years.

Lots of money floating around in Dubai, that's for sure.
It's like the middle east---without all the fuss.

29th October 2007 01:24 PM
Slavegirl Oh man I hope this all falls through! As said before, a tour of any country means they will most likely hit the states as well. I went into a mild depression driving home the other day because I am usually seeing the Stones at least once or twice around this time of the year. Looks like the London shows won't in fact be their last gigs, thank God!!!
29th October 2007 01:29 PM
gimmekeef Dubai?.....gimme a break....What will they open with???..A beheading?..and maybe they'll put the burqa on Chuck instead of Lisa...Fuck those rich oil bastards
29th October 2007 01:29 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Dick B Cheney wrote:
don't go booking flights yet, I got some big plans for the mid east and asia.

^ LOL. Best Post of The Day
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)