ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
A Bigger Bang World Tour 2005 - 2006
‘ Gracias Fernando !
Watts by Aceves
Angel Stadium of Anaheim - Anahaeim, CA - 4th November 2005
© 2005 Fernando Aceves
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAΡOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: If Fox News Had Been Around Throughout History Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
October 29th, 2005 06:03 PM
Ronnie Richards It's funny cuz it's true... (in a way)

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze1ldyn/id2.html
October 29th, 2005 09:58 PM
sirmoonie Pretty good, although I wouldn't blame the Fox Channel for all of the incredible idiocy of George Walker Bush III and his devoted lovers.
October 30th, 2005 02:06 AM
The_Worst A complete waste of bandwidth...Thanks for the meaningless post...
October 30th, 2005 02:09 AM
glencar Asinine through & through. Tell your cutter&paster that Soledad O'Brien is actually with CNN. Kids should stay away from PCs.
October 30th, 2005 09:23 AM
FPM C10
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Pretty good, although I wouldn't blame the Fox Channel for all of the incredible idiocy of George Walker Bush III and his devoted lovers.

No, they only deserve a portion of the blame, not all of it.

But I'm hard pressed to decide what's more idiotic - people who can't stand to hear a breath of criticism of Bush, or those who evidently can't stand to hear any criticism of Fox News.

Both entities are such ridiculous abominations, such poor characatures of what they're SUPPOSED to be (The President and a "fair and balanced" news channel) that to expect everyone to accept them without caveat is...er...ridiculous.

Some of this was pretty funny - Geraldo Rivera revealing the whereabouts of the Greeks inside the Trojan Horse seemed on the mark. The Spanish Inquisition thing at the end didn't fit, though. Fox would not have covered it in a Pythonesque way, but would have come out as strongly anti-witch, pro-torture.

October 30th, 2005 10:07 AM
gimmekeef To put a musical spin on this...Bush and Fox News would have to be compared to Milli Vanilli.....
October 30th, 2005 10:32 AM
sirmoonie
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

But I'm hard pressed to decide what's more idiotic - people who can't stand to hear a breath of criticism of Bush, or those who evidently can't stand to hear any criticism of Fox News.

Yeah, no kidding. I kind of understand the George Walker Bush III as a personal savior bit. Kind of. Some people never mature emotionally past 10 years old, and I quess its not too demented to extrapolate from a dumb ass politician to one's core beliefs. But falling in madly love with a corporation? That is all around weird and the logic just fails me.
October 30th, 2005 11:58 AM
Bloozehound
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

ahhh

October 30th, 2005 12:20 PM
Riffhard I think it is funny as fuck that way people bitch about Fox while completely ignoring the other blatantly biased networks and newspapers! Hello CBS Rathergate. Hello New York Times Jason Blair!

Why has nobody covered the fact that Bill fucking Clinton(easily the most corrupt president in the history of the USA)pardoned Mark Rich the day he left office. Mark Rich was the most wanted man on the FBI's list of corporate criminals. Buba pardons this fucking crook,and then less than a month later Denise Rich donates $460,000.00 to Clinton's library and massage parlor. Hmmmmm? I guess that's not really news huh? Oh yeah and it was learned last week that the very same Mark Rich made over $2,000,000.00 in the Oil-for-Food UN scandal. So I lay 100% of the blame for the war in Iraq and 9/11 on Bill fucking Clinton(easily the most corrupt president in the history of the USA) and his band of crooks. Sandy Berger? Gee,that story dissappeared rather quickly! Don't ya think? Why didn't CBSNBCABCNYTCNN and the rest report the fact that Berger was trying to steal documents which showed that Bill fucking Clinton(easily the most corrupt president in the history of the USA)was criminally negligent in his handeling of the turn over of Bin Laden!! September 11,2001 is all Clinton's fault. The fact that some people will never see the obviousness of that FACT is beyond bizzare to say the least. There are tons of documents that have been published that state that very fact! Yet for some strange reason those documents never get discussed on the "real" news shows! LOL! I bet you didn't read that in the NYT did ya?! Did you see it on CNN? CBS? ABC? NBC? PBS? Ofcourse not because those "fronts" carry the water for you loony as fuck liberals!

You libs are a funny bunch! Fucking hypocrits the lot of ya. You worship at the alter of Bill fucking Clinton(easily the most corrupt president in the history of the USA)! It would be funny,but I fear that your sanity is at stake here,and I hope that you all eventully wisen up. Try reading a little! That might help.

Riffhard
October 30th, 2005 01:06 PM
The_Worst
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
I think it is funny as fuck that way people bitch about Fox while completely ignoring the other blatantly biased networks and newspapers! Hello CBS Rathergate. Hello New York Times Jason Blair!

Why has nobody covered the fact that Bill fucking Clinton(easily the most corrupt president in the history of the USA)pardoned Mark Rich the day he left office. Mark Rich was the most wanted man on the FBI's list of corporate criminals. Buba pardons this fucking crook,and then less than a month later Denise Rich donates $460,000.00 to Clinton's library and massage parlor. Hmmmmm? I guess that's not really news huh? Oh yeah and it was learned last week that the very same Mark Rich made over $2,000,000.00 in the Oil-for-Food UN scandal. So I lay 100% of the blame for the war in Iraq and 9/11 on Bill fucking Clinton(easily the most corrupt president in the history of the USA) and his band of crooks. Sandy Berger? Gee,that story dissappeared rather quickly! Don't ya think? Why didn't CBSNBCABCNYTCNN and the rest report the fact that Berger was trying to steal documents which showed that Bill fucking Clinton(easily the most corrupt president in the history of the USA)was criminally negligent in his handeling of the turn over of Bin Laden!! September 11,2001 is all Clinton's fault. The fact that some people will never see the obviousness of that FACT is beyond bizzare to say the least. There are tons of documents that have been published that state that very fact! Yet for some strange reason those documents never get discussed on the "real" news shows! LOL! I bet you didn't read that in the NYT did ya?! Did you see it on CNN? CBS? ABC? NBC? PBS? Ofcourse not because those "fronts" carry the water for you loony as fuck liberals!

You libs are a funny bunch! Fucking hypocrits the lot of ya. You worship at the alter of Bill fucking Clinton(easily the most corrupt president in the history of the USA)! It would be funny,but I fear that your sanity is at stake here,and I hope that you all eventully wisen up. Try reading a little! That might help.

Riffhard

Excellent post! I cannot get over how liberals continually bitch about Fox News. It's the only conservatively leaning media source out there. Every major network, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN, MSNBC, & about 90% of the print media ARE COMPLETELY LIBERAL!!! Then they bitch, "Oh YOU GUYS HAVE FOX NEWS!!"

Give me a break. People wonder why Fox News has the highest ratings? It's because the American people know that it is the only network where they won't hear the same old Republican bashing theme song 24-7. They make jokes about it being "Fair & Balanced" because they believe it is so pro-republican. The fact of the matter is they almost always have a Republican & Democrat on when they do segments. 50% of the time to each...That's fair & balanced. All the other networks split the time 75%-25% in favor of the democrat (not to mention almost every newscaster & reporter on the segment is a liberal as well). Thus, when they see a 50-50 split on Fox News it appears to them that Fox News is 100% pro-republican. The fact that Fox News bothers liberals so much really cracks me up... Talk about pathetic...
October 30th, 2005 02:14 PM
Joey " You libs are a funny bunch! "

You SHALL be greeted .....

Joey Clinton
October 30th, 2005 05:16 PM
Jumping Jack Do you have to be a moron to drink Kool Aid or does Kool Aid turn you into a moron?
October 30th, 2005 05:23 PM
the good So many people are just so confused about the Iraq war, in part because they are intellectually lazy, in part because president doesn't always do the best job of explaining his policies, and in part because the media is so biased and incompetent. Take all of the controversy surrounding this ass clown Joe Wilson. This idiot was sent to Niger by his wife to undermine the president's claim that Hussein had sent his agents to Africa to procure Uranium, and surprise surprise, he comes back and says that he didn't find anything that suggested Iraqi agents were in the country. Then he writes a column in which he falsely claims that Dick Cheney sent him over there, and that the president KNEW that the reports about Saddam trying to get yellow cake were false, and thus, that the administration lied in making its case for war. Nevermind that the president was citing other intelligence sources (the British), nevermind that the British have since stood by their claim, and nevermind that even governments who opposed the war have provided corroborating evidence.
ABC news leads world news tonight with the story of how Wilson's undercover wife (who wasn't undercover according to the people who wrote the law designed to protect undercover agents) was outed by an official from the Vice Presidents office (something Libby wasn't charged with), and that this calls into question the adminstrations case for war (which it does not do).
[Edited by the good]
[Edited by the good]
October 30th, 2005 08:17 PM
corgi37 Clinton the most corrupt Prez of all time???

I bet the ghost of Nixon, currently burning in hell with Adolf and John Lennon, would be glad to hear that.

I love the way you Neocons dont actually deny Fox is biased, but simply answer with "Well, what about blah, blah, blah".

I'm really enjoying watching Fox lately, as George Dubya is having a few hassles. Man, the spin they are putting on things. It's all a beat up! A consiracy!

Not that i give a stuff. 10 years from now, China will be giving aid to America.

The Roman empire is crumbling!!

All hail the Chinese. Our future masters.
October 30th, 2005 08:29 PM
LadyJane "You libs are a funny bunch! Fucking hypocrits the lot of ya."

I take offense at THAT generalization.

Best we do NOT talk politics at the Summit of the Century.

And I know it KILLS all of you Repubs...but Clinton could run again and WIN by a landslide. More than we can say for Dubya!!!!!

LJ.
October 30th, 2005 09:02 PM
FPM C10
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
"You libs are a funny bunch! Fucking hypocrits the lot of ya."

I take offense at THAT generalization.

Best we do NOT talk politics at the Summit of the Century.

And I know it KILLS all of you Repubs...but Clinton could run again and WIN by a landslide. More than we can say for Dubya!!!!!

LJ.

Say...there's not going to be any ALCOHOL at this summit thing, is there????

You're right about Clinton. Despite the millions spent by the Republicans trying to pin ANYTHING on him, and the years spent by Riffie and those who share his beliefs blaming absolutely EVERYTHING on him, Slick Willie is still the most popular political figure in America.

(Riffie, I don't want to get into a pissing match with ya, but you are so full of SHIT sometimes! LOL!)

Although I think Clinton is the best President since Kennedy, I also think that's nothing to brag about. A country as great as America deserves a great president, or at least one with a great haircut. Where ARE they?
October 30th, 2005 09:50 PM
the good
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

Although I think Clinton is the best President since Kennedy, I also think that's nothing to brag about. A country as great as America deserves a great president, or at least one with a great haircut. Where ARE they?

I think very few people want to run for office because of the rectal examination they will be subjected to by the media and the opposition. I mean, you really have to be nuts to run for office. You have to be such an ego maniac that you think the country REALLY needs you, and that subjecting yourself to all of the nonsense that surrounds a campaign is worthwhile because of what you are going to do for the country.
October 31st, 2005 05:09 AM
corgi37 You need another actor!!!
October 31st, 2005 05:39 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
You need another actor!!!

We got one.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
October 31st, 2005 08:29 AM
gimmekeef Liberals or Conservatives are fine..its when they hook up and support corrupt political organizations like the Democrats and Republicans is when I take issue.
October 31st, 2005 09:37 AM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

We got one.

[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]

Too funny!!. Just got to figure out how to make him a legal candidate.

Can always tell when it's Slow Stone's News!! We love our politics....
October 31st, 2005 11:00 AM
glencar I watched 60 Minutes last night. It was a puff piece about Joe Wilson & wifey #3, Miss Valerie Plame! A touching piece & by the end even my heart of stone was somewhat outraged by Lewis Libby's scurrilous act. But then they went too far. One of buddies from CIA school opined that Miss Plame could no longer do her job because her cover had been blown. Words to the effect that "none of us CIA types wants to be in the spotlight." I did a quick spit take as I recalled that Vanity Fair cover on which Miss Plame & hubby Joe are shown riding in a convertible like a pair of late 60's film stars in the...spotlight!
October 31st, 2005 12:45 PM
monkey_man
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Liberals or Conservatives are fine..its when they hook up and support corrupt political organizations like the Democrats and Republicans is when I take issue.

AMEN TO THIS!
It's laughable to here all the screaching about the mainstream media being liberal. The media in this country is CORPORATE! The news that gets reported in this country is news that makes corporations a profit i.e. sex scandals, celebs, scott peterson, michael jackson. The average person in this country knows more about useless infotainment than the last appropriation bill passed in Congress. Corporate media does this country a disservice by keeping the population ignorant. They routinely kill stories that might be potentially embarassing to their advertisers. 7 corporations own 95 percent of print and TV media in this country. 20 years ago it was over 250 owners! You're telling me that these 7 corporations (2 of which are owned by major defense contractors) have made the media more liberal than it was 20 years ago! What are you smoking?
October 31st, 2005 01:05 PM
monkey_man
quote:
glencar wrote:
Words to the effect that "none of us CIA types wants to be in the spotlight." I did a quick spit take as I recalled that Vanity Fair cover on which Miss Plame & hubby Joe are shown riding in a convertible like a pair of late 60's film stars in the...spotlight!

The toothpaste was already out of the tube! Doing a cover of Vanity Fair wasn't going to change the fact that she was already useless as an asset to the CIA.
October 31st, 2005 01:39 PM
Jumping Jack Bush Nominates Alito for Supreme Court

Monday, October 31, 2005

By Liza Porteus

WASHINGTON — To the delight of the conservative base that elected him, President Bush on Monday nominated Samuel Alito (search) to the U.S. Supreme Court to replace retiring Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.

He is filling the spot that opened when Harriet Miers withdrew her nomination last week after facing strong criticism from the president's conservative base. While many Republicans praised the new nominee, Democrats wasted no time in publicly blasting him as "too radical."

"Judge Alito is one of the most accomplished and respected judges of America and his long career in public service has given him an extraordinary breadth of judicial experience," Bush said in making the announcement in the White House.

"He's scholarly, fair-minded and principled and these qualities will serve him well on the highest court in the land."

Noting that Alito has more prior judicial experience than any Supreme Court nominee in 70 years, Bush added that his record "reveals a thoughtful judge who considers the legal merits carefully and applies the law in a principled fashion. He has a deep understanding of the proper role of judges in our society. He understands judges are to interpret the laws, not to impose their preferences or priorities on the people."

Following the announcement, Alito went to the U.S. Capitol, where Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (search) greeted him and accompanied the nominee and two of his children to the Capitol rotunda while he paid his respects at the coffin of late civil rights pioneer Rosa Parks.

Frist, a fellow Princeton graduate, read from a school publication a prediction that Alito would eventually "warm a seat" on the Supreme Court.

"That was a college joke," Alito said with a grin. "I think my real ambition at the time was to be commissioner of baseball. Of course, I never dreamed that this day would arrive."

Senate Judiciary Committee Arlen Specter, R-Pa., said he would not ask Alito directly about whether he would overturn Roe v. Wade (search), the landmark abortion rights ruling.

"There is a lot more to do with a woman's right to choose than how you feel about it personally," he said. Specter cited adherence to legal precedent in view of a series of rulings over 30 years upholding abortion rights.

There will be a "a very, very thorough review" of Alito's record, Specter said. Asked about the immediate negative reaction from Democrats to Alito's nomination, Specter responded: "Well this is Washington, D.C."

If approved, Alito — considered a conservative federal judge — will replace O'Connor, a moderate who has been considered a decisive swing vote in a host of affirmative action, abortion, campaign finance, discrimination and death penalty cases.

"I am deeply honored to be nominated to serve on the Supreme Court and I am very grateful for the confidence you have shown in me," Alito said at his nomination announcement. "The Supreme Court has been an institution that I have long held in reverence."

A senior GOP leadership aide said leading lawmakers are pushing for hearings and a final vote on the Senate floor by the Christmas holiday.

Some at the White House said they believe there will be 22 votes against Alito, the same number of Democrats who rejected Chief Justice John Roberts. They said if some lawmakers didn't like Roberts, they also won't like Alito. The Senate in September voted 78-22 in favor of confirming Roberts for the top judicial position.

Roberts may be closest to Alito in that "both are conservatives but both are very careful not to give their opinion" on social issues, John Nagle, an associate dean at Notre Dame Law School who knows Alito, told FOX News on Monday.

Calling Alito a "terrific nominee," Nagle said the nominee has a "distinguished record" while working on constitutional issues in the Justice Department and during the rest of his professional career.

Alito is "very gracious, easy going, personable. He's really a legal thinker but he's not a person who in his personal conversations … tries to prove how bright he is," Nagle said.

"He's conservative but you don't get the sense from his opinions that he's pursuing a particular agenda. ... His decisions are very measured, analytical."

Alito has been dubbed "Scalito" or "Scalia-lite" by some lawyers because his judicial philosophy invites comparisons to that of conservative Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia (search), for whom Alito once clerked. But while Scalia is outspoken and known to badger lawyers, Alito is polite, reserved and even-tempered. Some at the White House have taken offense to the nickname.

FOX News Supreme Court analyst Tim O'Brien said while Alito's ideology may be similar to that of Scalia's, he is an independent thinker and should not be labeled as another Scalia.

But "he is a friendly, easy-going guy and that certainly will help him in this confirmation here," O'Brien said.

The White House hopes the choice mends a rift in the Republican Party created by the failed nomination of Miers. Many members of Bush's own party argued that the Texas lawyer and Bush loyalist didn't have enough credentials on constitutional law and no proven record as a judicial conservative. She didn't calm fears during a series of meet-and-greets with lawmakers throughout October.

Alito was Bush's favorite choice among the judges in the last set of deliberations; however, the president settled instead on Miers because she was someone outside what he calls the "judicial monastery," administration officials said.

Bush said he believes the 55-year-old Alito has not only the right experience as a judge and prosecutor and conservative ideology for the job but a temperament suited to building consensus on the court.

'Needlessly Provocative?'

While Alito has already won praise from U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and other Bush's allies on the right who say he's not an ideologue, Democrats have served notice they will not make the confirmation process easy.

Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Monday that he is "disappointed" in the pick of Alito in that he is not a "consensus nominee" and said one day earlier that that nominee would "create a lot of problems."

"The nomination of Judge Alito requires an especially long, hard look by the Senate because of what happened last week to Harriet Miers," Reid said in a statement Monday.

"Conservative activists forced Miers to withdraw from consideration for this same Supreme Court seat because she was not radical enough for them," he continued. "Now the Senate needs to find out if the man replacing Miers is too radical for the American people."

Reid also criticized Bush for not choosing a woman or an Hispanic for the court. "He has chosen yet another federal appellate judge to join a court that already has eight justices with that narrow background," Reid added. "President Bush would leave the Supreme Court looking less like America and more like an old boys' club."

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., also blasted Bush for not picking someone in the "mold of Sandra Day O'Connor, who would unify us."

"The president seems to want to hunker down in his bunker" and "soothe the ruffled feathers of the extreme wing of his party," Schumer said. "This controversial nominee, who would make the court less diverse and far more conservative, will get very careful scrutiny from the Senate and from the American people."

Schumer also said the confirmation process should not be rushed: "When there is a controversial nominee for a pivotal swing vote on the Supreme Court, the precedure should not be short-circuited, short-changed or rushed. We need to be careful here, this is a nominee that could shift the balance of the court."

Vermont Sen. Patrick Leahy, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said the Alito nomination is a "needlessly provocative nomination."

There are perhaps only two other people in the country who would cause Democrats to be "more disturbed" than Alito, said Democratic strategist Bob Beckel.

"He runs counter to everything we believe in," Beckel added. "Let me congratulate the right wing. They beat the president back and they got somebody they wanted."

But Frist applauded the selection of Alito and warned lawmakers not to make the confirmation process a mud-slinging, all-out battle over the bench.

"I enthusiastically support it [the nomination] based on what I know today. He is clearly a highly qualified nominee. ... He's shown judicial restraint in the past," Frist told FOX News on Monday.

Democrats "will try to pick fights and they will look for documents and they will use scare tactics, but at the end of the day ... I think he will overwhelmingly be confirmed. If the Democrats look for a fight, we will be ready to fight. This is a highly qualified nominee."

Sen. John Cornyn, the Texas Republican who served as a pointman in the Senate on behalf of Roberts during his confirmation process, agreed that a political fight over Alito is likely.

"I think it's going to be contentious but he'll be confirmed by a bipartisan majority in the Senate," Cornyn told FOX News. "I think we're in a position to move rather quickly."

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, who is also on the Judiciary Committee, told FOX News he does not think a filibuster to prevent a vote on Alito is likely. "If [Democrats] become against someone with the qualifications of Sam Alito, Judge Alito, then I think it's going to be held against them."

While he said Alito will likely be confirmed, Hatch added, "We're all going to have to work very hard to make that so ... he's got so many credentials, it's going to be hard for [Democrats] to play politics with this one."

Unlike Miers, who has never been a judge, Alito, a jurist from New Jersey, has been a strong conservative voice on the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Philadelphia since former President George H.W. Bush seated him at the age of 39 in 1990.

A former deputy assistant to Attorney General Ed Meese in the mid-1980s, the Italian-American also worked in President Reagan's solicitor general office. After growing up in Trenton, N.J., Alito was educated at Princeton University and earned a law degree from Yale University, the president's alma mater.

Interest Groups Gear Up for Battle

Judicial conservatives praise Alito's 15 years on the federal court and say his record shows a commitment to a strict interpretation of the Constitution, ensuring that the separation of powers and checks and balances are respected and enforced.

They also contend that Alito has been a powerful voice for the First Amendment's guarantees of free speech and the free exercise of religion.

But Alito's role as the sole dissenter on the 3rd Circuit court in the 1992 Planned Parenthood v. Casey decision (search), which struck down a Pennsylvania law that required women to inform their husbands before they got an abortion, could cause Democratic objections.

"The Pennsylvania Legislature could have rationally believed that some married women are initially inclined to obtain an abortion without their husbands' knowledge because of perceived problems — such as economic constraints, future plans or the husbands' previously expressed opposition — that may be obviated by discussion prior to the abortion," Alito wrote.

The decision by the court — considered one of the most liberal circuit courts in the country — was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in a 6-3 vote. The late Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist (search) cited Alito's reasoning in his own dissent.

"There are a number of Democrats who have a lot of angst about it [the nomination] because of Casey v. Planned Parenthood. It seems to them, abortion is the end-all, be-all issue," Hatch said.

Interest groups are already taking up positions on Alito.

"The president has made an excellent choice today, which reflects his commitment to appoint judges in the mold of Scalia and [Clarence] Thomas," said Kay Daly, president of the conservative Coalition for a Fair Judiciary.

Pat Robertson, founder of the Christian Broadcasting Network, told FOX News that the Alito nomination is "a grand slam homerun. The president has really given us an outstanding judge."

With Roberts, Scalia and possibly Alito on the bench, he said, the Supreme Court will be stocked with "intellectual firepower" on the conservative side. He added that Alito's dissent in the Planned Parenthood v. Casey decision was "hardly an overwhelming denunciation of Roe v. Wade."

While Robertson said he was comfortable with Miers, who has never been a judge, as a possibility for the bench before she withdrew, Alito's judicial background is much stronger. "Without question, this man is one of the outstanding legal minds in the country," he added. "He overwhelms Harriet Miers in his qualifications."

While left-wing groups like MoveOn.org vowed to mobilize its members against the nomination, abortion-rights activists also denounced the pick. "Now, the gauntlet has been, I think, thrown down," said Kat Michelman, past president of NARAL-Pro-Choice American.

Some Democrats say the nominee is a way for Bush to assuage his conservative base and boost support amid sagging poll numbers due in part to the war in Iraq, hurricane-related political fallout and ongoing White House controversies such as the CIA leak case.

"It's a pretty predictable move from a politically crippled president," said Democratic consultant Jim Jordan. "Toss out a judicial extremist to pacify his base and provoke a fight that he hopes changes the subject away from indictments and Iraq and Katrina and a soft economy."

:-)
October 31st, 2005 01:48 PM
glencar Interestingly, Scalia was at one time mentioned as a possible baseball commish.

Gimme, the fact is that one who wishes to avoid the spotlight doesn't go on the cover of VF. Her hubby's on TV almost as much as Larry King at this point.
October 31st, 2005 02:27 PM
Jumping Jack The real story is why the CIA is so incompetent (start with WMDs) and the lengths professional b'crats will go to to cover up their bungling. Plame and Wilson are both incompetent. Further, they don't make policy, elected officials do. They are being paid to be on the same team as the elected administration and provide accurate information so the decison makers can make the most informed choices, not act as freelancers with their own agenda subverting the will of the people. If the media were truly unbiased they would be covering the real story here instead of playing gotchya with Bush.
October 31st, 2005 02:43 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
The real story is why the CIA is so incompetent (start with WMDs) and the lengths professional b'crats will go to to cover up their bungling. Plame and Wilson are both incompetent. Further, they don't make policy, elected officials do. They are being paid to be on the same team as the elected administration and provide accurate information so the decison makers can make the most informed choices, not act as freelancers with their own agenda subverting the will of the people. If the media were truly unbiased they would be covering the real story here instead of playing gotchya with Bush.

Party Line. Congrats....you studied your talking points.

October 31st, 2005 02:44 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
The real story is why the CIA is so incompetent (start with WMDs) and the lengths professional b'crats will go to to cover up their bungling. Plame and Wilson are both incompetent. Further, they don't make policy, elected officials do. They are being paid to be on the same team as the elected administration and provide accurate information so the decison makers can make the most informed choices, not act as freelancers with their own agenda subverting the will of the people. If the media were truly unbiased they would be covering the real story here instead of playing gotchya with Bush.

Dude you should do stand up! This is the funniest paragraph I have read in a long time! Please provide a compass and string so that we can follow the circuitous train of thought here!
October 31st, 2005 02:45 PM
glencar Please! You've got the funniest posts of all!
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)