ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA November 4, 2002
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: NSC: Mellencamp Focuses on Performing Return to archive
11-01-02 10:53 AM
Martha 11/01/2002��07:14:29�EST

Mellencamp To Focus on Performing

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (AP) - John Mellencamp doesn't have a record deal - but he's not worried. He's focusing his energy on live performances.

"This idea of releasing a record and supporting it, (forget) all that," the 51-year-old singer said. "That was the 1980s, not now. It doesn't make any difference if I have a record out or not."

He begins a 13-date tour of midsize cities Friday - places such as Grand Rapids, Mich., and the Indiana cities of Bloomington, Fort Wayne, Evansville and South Bend.

"I'm going to do 15 to 20 shows, take three months off, then 15 to 20 shows, take three months off," he told The Indianapolis Star. "I might as well go out and play. Why am I sitting here in Bloomington?"

Mellencamp no longer records for Columbia Records, which released his self-titled album in 1998 and "Cuttin' Heads" in 2001.

"I don't really want a record deal, to be honest with you," he said. "But I'm going to do it. One thing hasn't changed in the music business: It's easy to get a record deal. But it's impossible to get (a label) to do anything for you once you have the thing."

Mellencamp's hits include "R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A.," "Paper in Fire" and "Check It Out."

___

On the Net:

John Mellencamp Web site: http://www.mellencamp.com/
11-01-02 11:40 AM
padre So?
11-01-02 01:16 PM
Martha Well...in light of all the talk surrounding the Stones putting out a new album to tour with and then instead they released 40 Licks...I just thought it was interesting that John has this attitude about touring without a label or a new album. Nothing more or less.
11-01-02 02:15 PM
2000 Man
quote:
Martha wrote:

"I don't really want a record deal, to be honest with you," he said. "But I'm going to do it. One thing hasn't changed in the music business: It's easy to get a record deal. But it's impossible to get (a label) to do anything for you once you have the thing."

This man wants a record deal even more than Mick Taylor!
11-01-02 02:38 PM
Maxlugar This guy also is not fit to perform that many times a year.

This guy has 5 heart attacks before breakfast.

Fuck Yup!

I like him though.
11-01-02 05:28 PM
Factory Girl Hey MAXY, didn't know you were a Farm-Aid kind a guy. I like "Hurt So Good"-it reminds of being my first serious lust affair in high school.
11-01-02 05:37 PM
steel driving hammer
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
This guy also is not fit to perform that many times a year.

This guy has 5 heart attacks before breakfast.

Fuck Yup!

I like him though.

LOL! I like him too though.

Get A Leg Up and Pick Up That Funky Shit And Learn How To Play Guitar!

Play Guitar, Playeeeeeeeeee guitar Play Guitar, Oh Yeaaaah.
11-01-02 06:03 PM
parmeda 'I knew him when
he was Johnny Cougar'

I have that on a T-shirt w/a pic of him in his younger days...
Mellencamp is a good performer...seen him a handful of times and he puts out a good show. Nothing flashy about him at all...comes out and plays his heart out. He's a rebel, no doubt...he still totes a Marlboro out of the corner of his mouth on stage.
11-01-02 06:20 PM
Boomhauer He was pretty funny when he was on the Bob & Tom show a couple months ago.
11-01-02 06:44 PM
Martha I caught John's live show the first time a few years ago from the 7th row dead center floor..(ticket cost $40.00). His opening set (a 4pack) was one if not the best opening set I've ever heard live. Knocked me out. He really put on a killer show..no frills just non-stop intense rock and roll.

He obviously loves and was heavily influenced by the Stones...which I learned by listening to "UhHuh"..a couple of those tracks really sound like Stones material (IMO)...great stuff to jam to while working out.

I dig that he makes his personal life political through his music and activism.

11-01-02 10:29 PM
Maxlugar That Scarecrow album is latter day genius. IMHO (In Maxy's Humble Opinion)

TIA (Thanks In Advance)

ASAP ( As Soon As Possible)

C10 (CLEVELAND 10)

MAXY!

11-02-02 12:11 AM
Boomhauer Play Geetah!
[Edited by Boomhauer]
11-02-02 06:31 AM
corgi37 What a dumb comment "i dont want a record deal". oh, and please dont see me live. Sounds like he'll be selling out of date t-shirts of himself from his car next. I've seen him twice, and he was great. But, the moron lost me when he sacked Kenny Aronoff and bought a drum machine. kenny was his charlie. And, umm, this is a stones site. I went to Mellencamps site a couple of weeks ago. Dull as dog shit. And any dude who begs people to visit his wife's site on his own site is, ahem, "Under her thumb".
11-02-02 09:34 AM
Larry Dallas I saw Mellencamp last year and he opened his show with "Gimme Shelter." He also dedicated his "Uh-Huh" album to them. Mellencamp loves good rock and will never stop fighting for it. Long live the CoooG!
11-02-02 09:43 AM
RubyFriday I love him since years,he made the best ever version of You Better Move On.But he should move his ass up to europe sometimes,can�t remember him playing here.
11-02-02 10:47 AM
Honky Tonker Have seen John live several times and have always been pleased. He does borrow/steal from the Stones, but still adds his own touch. Sounds like his guitar player (Larry or Mike) learned open G tuning at some point. Among others by him "Serious Business" sounds Stonesy. Unfortunately, he has gotten a bad case of "Jackson Browne" disease (taking oneself too seriously). Others infected include Springsteen, Seger, Henley, and, sometimes, Jagger. Just turn it up and rock, ya'll!!!!!
[Edited by Honky Tonker]