ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA November 4, 2002
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dancing In The Street ERUGGHH! Return to archive Page: 1 2
11-01-02 10:52 AM
Nasty Habits As far as travelogues go, aren't Route 66 and Sweet Little 16 (and friggin' Rip This Joint) little more, on the chorus, anyway, than lists of city names?

Motherbaby, your last post blew my mind. Have you been taking lessons from the Raging Goat?

Please tell us more about this Pumpkin Patch. Did the Great Pumpkin visit it last night?

11-01-02 11:13 AM
Mother baby
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
As far as travelogues go, aren't Route 66 and Sweet Little 16 (and friggin' Rip This Joint) little more, on the chorus, anyway, than lists of city names?

Motherbaby, your last post blew my mind. Have you been taking lessons from the Raging Goat?

Please tell us more about this Pumpkin Patch. Did the Great Pumpkin visit it last night?

Sorry I can't hang out with ya all this weekend, gotta run soon...but Pickin Pumpkins is slang for covering other peoples songs or lifting other peoples riffs. The Pumpkin Patch is basically the sum total of old blues,R&B, and folk tunes,....Hence Elvis was THE Great Pumpkin Picker!

11-01-02 11:21 AM
stonedinaustralia so you're saying motown doesn't belong in the line of the blues and R&B or at least doesn't rate with it?

did elvis ever do a motown song?? he might have made a good job of "baby i need your lovin'" or "cloud 9"
11-01-02 11:30 AM
Mother baby
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
so you're saying motown doesn't belong in the line of the blues and R&B ..

Oh sure it does,everything's fair game in the Pumpkin Patch.
I'd have to reread the posts to try to figure out exactly what I was trying to say ..lol. But right now I'm outta here for the weekend and going crazy wrapping up the week....later.
11-01-02 12:50 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
so you're saying motown doesn't belong in the line of the blues and R&B or at least doesn't rate with it?

did elvis ever do a motown song?? he might have made a good job of "baby i need your lovin'" or "cloud 9"

Thanks a lot SIA. Now I have to look through every damn Elvis record in the store and probably a few at home and who knows where else until I satisfy this particular itch of curiosity.

Did Elvis ever do Motown?

A question for the ages.

11-01-02 05:59 PM
stonedinaustralia my pleasure nasty

i took the easy way out and just looked it up on the internet - not quite so romantic as your approach but a hell of a lot quicker

i found this - it doesn't purport to be definitive but it look pretty comprehensive

http://www.cmrvs.com/ELVIS/elvislist.html

there's a couple of beatles tunes and, coincidentally, bridge over troubled water

but no motown or stones for the king in 1977
11-01-02 08:14 PM
Fiji Joe Elvis did "In the Ghetto"..perhaps that scared him enough to quit looking for a Motown tune...
11-01-02 08:30 PM
stonedinaustralia yeah - he always seemed more at home with the carny folk
11-01-02 10:23 PM
Nasty Habits Internet -- phooey!

I was pretty sure when you brought it up that Elvis never had done any Motown. It had never occurred to me before, and I find it amazing he didn't. I can understand no Jagger-Richards compositions (but have you ever heard Bobby Darin's version of "Back Street Girl"?), although to hear Elvis belt "Out of Touch" (or "Heart of Stone") would have been something else. I know he did Dylan's "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" and I think he might have done "Don't Think Twice", and every goddamn body in the world did "Something". I always liked his "Little Sister/Get Back" medley from the early 70s. That thing could cook. But, wow, no Motown for the King. I'm going to have to smoke something and come up with some all encompassing theory about why this is so.

Of course you're probably right and it has something to do with gypsies and carnies although it probably also has to do with why southern rock and rollers hate Motown . . .

Enveloping!

11-01-02 10:45 PM
Maxlugar I think you mean Out of Time my Filthy pal!

Why is not In the ghetto motown?

Elvis did EVERYTHING!

Motown included.

You just need to watch EVERY single movie he ever did to find a few.

You aint gonna do that!

Waaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ma-ma HO! Ma-ma HO! Ma-ma MAXY!
11-01-02 10:55 PM
Nasty Habits Fucker.

No one could get me to do that.

I don't care how much I HAVE to know.

I won't be watching Spinout tonight.

In fact, as we can see by Maxy pointing out my error on "Out of Time/Touch" it's possible that the Nasty memory banks are beginning to fuse together.

As a matter of fact, I may have just credited Jagger/Richards with composing a mid 80s Hall and Oats hit.

I will not watch all the Elvis movies.
11-01-02 11:01 PM
Maxlugar Come on Nasty, Let's Have a CLAM BAKE!

I live in Oyster Bay, so.....

WHOA ho ho ho ho ho ho!!!!

MAXY!!!!!
11-01-02 11:05 PM
Nasty Habits NO MAX NO!

I will not display obsessive behavior!

It's going to be a CHANGE OF HABIT for me!

TOP THAT!

11-02-02 10:04 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:

Why is not In the ghetto motown?

Elvis did EVERYTHING!

Motown included.

right max

you have the ears of an elephant - and i hear where your coming from - my long island dwelling wall steet working jeff beck lovin' friend

11-02-02 10:17 AM
stonedinaustralia and nasty - your posts raise issues that could only be answered in a work that would rival "the decline and fall of the roman empire" in its scope and weight

save it for the book!
Page: 1 2