ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Wiltern Theater, Los Angeles, CA November 4, 2002
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dancing In The Street ERUGGHH! Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-31-02 08:05 AM
Honky Tonk Man Just watched this on VH1, What was Mick thinking!!!!

Worst bit is when Mick and David Bowie wiggle their bums together. Its as bad as The Mick and Billie Preston dance!

Alex
10-31-02 08:07 AM
Moonisup he wanted a hitsingle and got it
10-31-02 08:10 AM
Honky Tonk Man Well of course he wanted a hit! Wasn't it for Live Aid?

Even so, its fucking awful!

Alex
10-31-02 08:25 AM
Nellcote I remember watching it during Live Aid. It got large billing, came on in the afternoon here in the US. Jagger in the solo period. After that, got heavy rotation on MTV (remember when they played rock?). Really, not a bad video, other than the butt shake, which you get every night Jagger performs, so what is new about that? There is an 12" version on vinyl, with the usual electric patter...
10-31-02 08:41 AM
Scot Rocks LOL yeah that video I just laugh at. Not seen it for a while though.

Mark
10-31-02 09:18 AM
Maxlugar The butt wiggle is not the problem by far.

The scariest part is the forehead to forehead, nose to nose part.

Holy shit does that make me uncomfortable!

When my testicles saw that, they ran up into my body cavity so fast they shot out my ears and bounced around the den like two super balls!

Mercy!

Maxy!
10-31-02 09:24 AM
nankerphelge That whole video does absolutely nothing to dispel that whole Bowie/Jagger thing. From the clothes to the dancing to the wiggles and such.

And there isn't much you can do to improve the situation. Sportswear doesn't help Mick -- look at the '81 tour. And biker clothing isn't a good barometer since the lead singer of Judas Priest rammed his Harley outta the closet door!

Bowie has never looked particularly manly.

I guess they coulda picked a less dancy song to cover. Something with lyrics like "let's go pick up some women and have some wild hetero sex" -- but no songs like that come to mind.

I think they shoulda stuck that vid way in the back of the vault where it belongs.
10-31-02 09:43 AM
FotiniD What's with the comments about Mick/David and heterosexuality and all? What are you guys, homophobic??

Concerning the artistic value of the video & song, well, I think it was intended as a light-hearted and trivial hit, not a masterpiece of a unique collaboration and all. David has done that already (the masterpiece) with Queen and "Under Pressure" (the Queen fan inside me ).

And, I've come to terms with the idea that Mick's solo or duet efforts always leave me with a "well, yes, but..." feeling for one reason or another
10-31-02 10:36 AM
Fiji Joe I'm with Max on this one...what's up with the face to face thing?...it reminds of something off Sesame Street...you know, Caaaarrrrrr, Faaaaarrrr, Gaaaaayyyyyyyy, all Daaaaaaayyyyyyy...
10-31-02 10:57 AM
Maxlugar What in God's name is at the bottom of your post?!
10-31-02 11:00 AM
Fiji Joe Oh, that would be your run of the mill pickled punk...never seen those?...they are usually on the counter, right next to the pickled pig's feet...his name is Rickles
10-31-02 11:10 AM
Sir Stonesalot Did anyone ever stop to think that because the whole Bowie/Jagger fuckfest rumor is so popular, they decided to actually play that angle up in the video? Give the people what they want, so to speak.

In other words, it's a joke between Bowie and Jagger.

I for one, find it hilarious.

Oh yeah, I never really liked the song when Martha & The Vandellas did it. The Bowie/Jagger version did nothing to change my opinion of the song.
10-31-02 11:17 AM
Fiji Joe Actually SS, I always just assumed that's what they were doing...Of course, they could really be that gay...And I actually liked the song...then again, I bought the "State of Shock" 45...
10-31-02 11:32 AM
Sir Stonesalot Oh hell Feej....even gay people aren't THAT gay.

It's just so over the top that I always thought it was a big joke on the rumormongers.
10-31-02 12:35 PM
FotiniD Fiji, that pic you got on your posts really creeps me out Any chance of removing it?
10-31-02 12:44 PM
sasca I like the 'And the streets of Brazil' bit. But not the best possible collaboration by two of my heroes.
10-31-02 03:50 PM
Boomhauer I like how Mick does that "Philadelphia PA" in that strong, raspy way.

It's got the touch of "Dirty Work". Oh Yeah!
10-31-02 03:53 PM
F505 Fotini wrote:
Fiji, that pic you got on your posts really creeps me out Any chance of removing it?

Don't think he will do that: it's his birthday announcement card!
10-31-02 04:32 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:

Oh yeah, I never really liked the song when Martha & The Vandellas did it. The Bowie/Jagger version did nothing to change my opinion of the song.

Is this a not-like-it-because-it's-not-a-great-song kind of a thing or a not-like-it-because-oldies-radio-and-dumb-movies-like-Big-Chill-and-worse-have-killed-the-Motown-vibe kind of a thing?

It never ceases to amaze me how much modern day rock and rollers HATE Motown.

Screw the Bowie/Jagger Live Aid one off. Without "Dancing in the Streets" we would not have "Street Fighting Man" as we know it.

10-31-02 04:54 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

It never ceases to amaze me how much modern day rock and rollers HATE Motown.

do they nasty???... and if so it amazes me too
10-31-02 05:14 PM
Jaxx
quote:
Maxlugar wrote:
What in God's name is at the bottom of your post?!

looks like a classic "changling" baby to me, a rather rare exhibit in freak shows of days gone by.

gag me. you never cease to gross me out, figi joe. it just makes me want to break out in song,
"baby face, you got the cutest little baby face...."
10-31-02 05:48 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

do they nasty???... and if so it amazes me too

yeah, it's just one of those kinda go figgers, huh? Not saying SS is "one" on account of we know he gots taste, but I cannot tell you the number of detractors the Motown camp has from rock 'n' roll people, primarily because they can't stand the "arrangements" or something like that. Stax is apparently "naturalistic" enough, but Motown is "too slick". Now I assume this has something to do with my geographical persuaze, natch, on account of most folks 'round here don't like no northern soul, but I think it's a more general trend.

I don't make 'em up, you know. I just report 'em.

btw: SIA I got your last communique and will respond as soon as I can.

NECRO HOBBITS

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
10-31-02 06:11 PM
Sir Stonesalot Oh heck, I like Motown well enough.

It's just this particular song that I never really cared for. There's just lots of others that I like better.

My fave....Tears Of A Clown. Best remake of that song....English Beat.
10-31-02 06:25 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Oh heck, I like Motown well enough.

It's just this particular song that I never really cared for. There's just lots of others that I like better.

My fave....Tears Of A Clown. Best remake of that song....English Beat.

Smokey is the man -- no doubt about that. I love "Ooo Baby Baby" and "You Really Got a Hold on Me" just about best.

10-31-02 06:49 PM
Sir Stonesalot Ohhh Baby Baby is the shit right there. What a great make out song.

I really like "Love Child" by the Supremes too.
10-31-02 10:32 PM
Mother baby See?...that video is a perfect example of why Keith needs to maintain Artistic Control over the Stones.
10-31-02 11:00 PM
Mother baby
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
What was Mick thinking!!!!
Alex

Good question. I think he was thinking that The Stones would probably never view the video. That is NOT what fills stadiums...no way.
Not necessarily a bad career move, necessarily, but NOT if you want to continue being a "member" of the Rolling Stones.

10-31-02 11:10 PM
stonedinaustralia Well mb each to his own (of course) but you should keep in mind, as nasty pointed out, that M& K saw fit to quote, refer to , ( or rip �off if you want to be unkind) those �mercenary hacks� for �street fightin� man� - �summer�s here and the time is right��

Also the team of writers which included those �hacks� were also responsible for great stones� moments such as �Just my Imagination� and �Aint too Proud to Beg�

Credit where it�s due even if you�re not a big fan of the music � which, as I said above, I find hard to understand
10-31-02 11:53 PM
Mother baby
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
Also the team of writers which included those �hacks� were also responsible for great stones� moments such as �Just my Imagination� and �Aint too Proud to Beg�

Credit where it�s due even if you�re not a big fan of the music � which, as I said above, I find hard to understand

I just thought those lyrics were trite in that particular song....like American Bandstand. And they ARE hacks.
Just my Imaginaton and Aint too proud too Beg are kind of like leftovers after Elvis got done raiding the Pumpkin Patch. As far as "credits" go, modern methods of determining "intellectual Property Rights" can't take into account of all the variables anyway. That's why they call it MUSIC I guess.

11-01-02 07:56 AM
stonedinaustralia i still don't understand but i'm interested

what do you mean "hack" ?

where is this "pumpkin' patch" and why do people want to steal them??!!

as far as credits well that's another thing - but it's true!! the original motown sound is of it's own sound - the sum of all before it and then some more

and forget the lyrics (if you have to) they say aretha could sing the phone book and make it sound good well martha she sang the map ok by me and the rythym section - James Jamerson and Benny Benjamin... well as far as i can see it's just staring you in the face

this post made for soulie, our man in detroit presumed MIA -just keeping the motor city at the top of the list!!

"smokey robinson is america's greatest living poet" - said bob
Page: 1 2