ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Art Wood
Cabbage Patch, Twickenham April 2005
© Paulywaul
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RO'ers...help me make a decision...please Return to archive Page: 1 2
30th October 2006 08:00 AM
LadyJane As happy as I am for my friends who got a great show last night, I am sickened to the core at what was done to those of us that made the trek to AC.

I cannot shake this.

I've heard that Mick performed a FULL rehearsal on Saturday and was just fine.

AC was pulled as they needed to be at the Beacon.

The way it was handled was abominable.

This is no longer MY BAND.

I'm seriously considering calling it a day and remembering the fun of shows past.

Too many hard working people got screwed in a really nasty way.

Yet...there is still that little flicker of hope....that little bug of nostalgia. In my heart I know I want to see them again.

I'm so torn.

No work for me today. So glad I took the day off.

Please help me make a decision.

I value your input.

LJ.
30th October 2006 08:04 AM
lotsajizz Ten years from now you will regret it if you parted with this band on bad terms and did not get in 'one more show'...see the rescheduled show....

[Edited by lotsajizz]
30th October 2006 08:35 AM
Gazza Judging it solely in terms of the show itself - whilst its left a very sour taste in my mouth, I'd reluctantly agree with what Jizzy says. Especially as it probably WILL be the last time you'll see them. Plus, theres the added bonus of seeing your friends again in one place. And thats not going to happen again too often either, lets face it.

Up to you whether you think its worth the expense of the trip down from Buffalo and the hotel room, etc.

as far as Im concerned, I wont be investing too much money in hotels and flights to take in Stones shows next year. I've managed to curtail it somewhat this tour for the first time, whereas every previous tour saw me go to more shows and spend more than the tour before it.

It'll be maybe a couple of reasonably local shows next year for me. I simply cant trust them to do the decent thing and show up anymore.

One thing though - unless you had brilliant seats, I WOULD suggest you return your tickets, get your refund and then bank on getting better seats elsewhere. Being a show that had so many out of towners present, I would imagine quite a sizeable percentage would be looking to get their money back. Going back to AC the weekend before Thanksgiving at 3 weeks notice is going to be difficult for many, I would guess
[Edited by Gazza]
30th October 2006 08:41 AM
jostorm Try for the Beacon tomorrow, if you get in, have an absolute blast and say your good-byes and call it a day.
You can think about whether to go to the rescheduled AC show for a while longer, if you don't get into Beacon....

It's a very tricky and highly personal decision, I'd say go with your heart....!!!!!

I still have not forgiven them for screwing me over cancelled European shows,and what they did to you over AC outraged me further, although it didn't surprise me one bit...I really don't even know if I will make the effort next summer, I shall wait and follow my heart, too, but the dream it used to be is over, it has been replaced by a very cynical disappointed outlook, like the feeling you get for a lover that has taken advantage of you once too often...
30th October 2006 09:04 AM
Madafaka Business are business, my dear LJ. Sad but true!
30th October 2006 09:15 AM
SweetVirginia LJ, I plan to return my tickets. I have not made a final decision on going back to AC yet, but I'll get a ticket later if I decide to go. It seems that Scope and Glencar are much more forgiving about this, and I think they plan to go. If I find out that all the fun RO people are going, I would consider going to see them in AC.

My decision is different from yours. I'm seeing them at the Beacon and in Vegas (with our darling Jaggergurl in the house). If I thought AC was my next AND last show, I would have a harder time with this decision.

I can't tell you what to do. It was worth the trip to AC to see you, but this dirty and used feeling we got from our band is very hard to shake. The late cancellation time was unforgivable.

I'm sending in my tickets today.

SV

[Edited by SweetVirginia]
30th October 2006 09:17 AM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
the dream it used to be is over, it has been replaced by a very cynical disappointed outlook, like the feeling you get for a lover that has taken advantage of you once too often...

that line reminds me of the late Bill Graham's reaction when Cohl replaced him as the band's promoter in '89 - "Losing the Stones was like watching my favourite lover become a whore"

agree with you that the Beacon would be a nice way to end it. Had I been living over there and got tickets for that one, I would have had no interest in going to any other shows that were rescheduled.
[Edited by Gazza]
30th October 2006 09:20 AM
FotiniD LJ, I really, really understand what you guys have just been through, what, with the way we've been screwed in Europe this summer.

However, I too am pretty sure you will regret it big time, should you decide not to take the trip to AC in November. When all of this will be over and time has gone by, the good memories from the gig will most definitely outweigh all the bad ones form the RS greed machine screwing us all big time. Perhaps sad, but true. We all have a normal tendency to create beautiful ideals in our head and bury the bad stuff way down.

If you ask me, and judging by the books I've read and the bootlegs I've read for the times before I was around, it HASN'T been the same, one way or another, even from the early seventies, when they DID realize the amount of power they had in their hands. They were allowed an endless life in adolescence. Nobody expects much responsibility of them. They've been allowed to do what they want, when they want and how they want it. That means, they get away with murder. It's a fact.

Of course it's business, to a very large extent. But what can you do? One way would be, as suggested, to just go with the refund, stop attending gigs, stop buying merchandise etc. Hit 'em where it hurts. But is this REALLY a realistic scenario, when the people in this band are in their sixties? Do we honestly believe they're going to change NOW? Or do you think that say we RO'ers decided on a gig embargo, that this would affect the ticket sales?! Those thousands of people buying RS tickets are not all hardcore fans and we know it.

What I'm trying to say is that at this point of time, it'd be meaningless to sacrifice something that will do YOU good to teach the Stones a lesson. They aren't even gonna realize, and you'll be the one missing out.

Yes, they've always been arrogant, greedy, selfish bastards - but we knew it, didn't we?
30th October 2006 09:24 AM
Gazza
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Yes, they've always been arrogant, greedy, selfish bastards - but we knew it, didn't we?

to some degree, but its become so much more blatant and shameless of late its no longer amusing. In any one sided abusive relationship, there comes a time when you have to say 'enough' before you lose your own self respect. the amount of people - and thats the diehard fans - who seem to have reached THAT stage in recent months, weeks and days is quite alarming.
30th October 2006 09:26 AM
marko Well my friend,theres no way to say this in better way!
30th October 2006 09:33 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:

to some degree, but its become so much more blatant and shameless of late its no longer amusing. In any one sided abusive relationship, there comes a time when you have to say 'enough' before you lose your own self respect. the amount of people - and thats the diehard fans - who seem to have reached THAT stage in recent months, weeks and days is quite alarming.

Yes, I never thought it was amusing either but... They've been around far longer than other bands ever have - so problems like that were bound to appear sooner or later.

And let me be the devil's advocate here for a minute, just for the sake of the argument. I love the Rolling Stones like hell, and they're a huge passion for me, but can I indeed compare it with a real relationship? Can I blame them for not treating me right? They give me a great time, their gigs are more than mere concerts for me, but what am I to them other than just a paying customer? They don't know me personally. They don't know anyone of us.

Yes, if anything, they should be treating their customers with RESPECT and of course I agree with that. Their behavior - even if we see it on a strictly business level - has been apalling. But we're not innnocent, are we? There have been other times in the past when they've screwed us again. I think the only change is the passing of time: it's been done one too many times. Most of us have had enough. And who can blame those who have?

I suppose it's a little bit easier to make a decision such as to quit attending their gigs, if one has seen them over 10 or 15 times. But from my perspective and with a gig score of a mere 2, the "luxury" of saying "no" to a Stones ticket when I see it coming my way, is just not there. Hence I find it a crazy notion that some people can actually do that. Not unexplainable - just beyond my will! I'm an easier victim I suppose.

But do I get satisfaction from the gig? Do I feel like it deserved every single penny of the price? Well, I still do. That's why I do believe LJ shouldn't miss out. They still deliver. And I wouldn't miss that for any blood sucking vampire like Cohl or all the Stones greediness.
30th October 2006 09:34 AM
F505 Since I decided not to see them anymore my stress is entirely gone!

it is one thing to promise and another to perform!
30th October 2006 09:57 AM
Jumping Jack LJ, is was a great pleasure meeting you and others from RO this weekend. This is a personal decision for each to make, but I am over it and they have lost my business forever. Not a ticket, not a t-shirt, not a calendar, not a penny goes there way.

When you see a family who has stretched their budgets beyond the limit to attend only to be humiliated in this fashion and stuck with $1000 in expenses is inexcusable. The arrogance is mind-blowing. Mick wants Scorsese to write the final chapter for how he will be remembered? He wrote his own legacy with the hard core in AC and it isn't pretty. He will be remembered more for his arrogance and how he screwed his most loyal fans than a phony movie where he spent his last touring days kissing Clinton's and Scorsese's assess.

Talk about hypocrites that are full of shit, look in the mirror Mick!!! Business is business and you simply cannot treat you customers like that.

[Edited by Jumping Jack]
30th October 2006 10:05 AM
SweetVirginia
Well said, JJ.

And it was nice to meet you at the AC Bar & Grill.

SV

Maxlugar Joey?

lotsajizz Why are so-called 'fans' complaining? We are not discussing about Axl Rose or Sly Stewart here. Is there a more professional group the the Rolling Stones? I hear complaints when groups skip cities or never even tour. The Stones have been touring world wide for almost 2 years and maybe they cancelled 3-5 shows due to illness(not counting the Keithfall). Ticketmaster e-mailed the cancellation notice four hours before the show and that gave most in the area ample time. Now those poor fans who decided to travel to AC (and consciously passed up trip insurance) and missed the email just suffered awful luck. I left RI at eleven drove for 2 hours, got a call and heard the bad news. What was disappointing was NOT that I lost money and travel time BUT that I wouldn't be seeing the band that night.....period. Quit whining..I don't want to hear about lost money etc., because anyone that would travel that far and book expensive hotel rooms can obviously afford it. We are a little bit crazy (myself included) to travel to see them !

You take your chances.....disconcerting to see how self-centeredness takes precedence over being a fan....

Cazart
30th October 2006 10:08 AM
LadyJane
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Ten years from now you will regret it if you parted with this band on bad terms and did not get in 'one more show'...see the rescheduled show....

[Edited by lotsajizz]

This is making the most sense to me at the moment.

Jizzy...imagine that?

I may go it alone though.

Sounds like most are not returning.

This is difficult.

LJ.
30th October 2006 10:08 AM
Maxlugar YEAH! And he was driving from 301 MetroCenter Boulevard, #102, Warwick Rhode Island! That's a haul!
30th October 2006 10:12 AM
Nellcote Now those poor fans who decided to travel to AC (and consciously passed up trip insurance)

Travel Insurance would have NEVER paid a claim based upon a performer's illness.
Weather related delay, illness of traveler's immediate family, common carrier accident to the destination are payable claims.
30th October 2006 10:16 AM
Steel Wheels I'll be there....as should you LJ! My birthday celebration rolls into November this year...

30th October 2006 10:20 AM
Gazza
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
You take your chances.....disconcerting to see how self-centeredness takes precedence over being a fan....

Theres quite a lot of disgust over this by people who WERENT there. How the fuck is that being 'self centred'?
30th October 2006 10:21 AM
F505
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
Why are so-called 'fans' complaining? We are not discussing about Axl Rose or Sly Stewart here. Is there a more professional group the the Rolling Stones? I hear complaints when groups skip cities or never even tour. The Stones have been touring world wide for almost 2 years and maybe they cancelled 3-5 shows due to illness(not counting the Keithfall). Ticketmaster e-mailed the cancellation notice four hours before the show and that gave most in the area ample time. Now those poor fans who decided to travel to AC (and consciously passed up trip insurance) and missed the email just suffered awful luck. I left RI at eleven drove for 2 hours, got a call and heard the bad news. What was disappointing was NOT that I lost money and travel time BUT that I wouldn't be seeing the band that night.....period. Quit whining..I don't want to hear about lost money etc., because anyone that would travel that far and book expensive hotel rooms can obviously afford it. We are a little bit crazy (myself included) to travel to see them !

Cazart

Most ridiculous post I read in months.
30th October 2006 10:32 AM
caro
quote:
Gazza wrote:
One thing though - unless you had brilliant seats, I WOULD suggest you return your tickets, get your refund and then bank on getting better seats elsewhere. Being a show that had so many out of towners present, I would imagine quite a sizeable percentage would be looking to get their money back. Going back to AC the weekend before Thanksgiving at 3 weeks notice is going to be difficult for many, I would guess
[Edited by Gazza]

That's probably what I would do too. And if you're still angry, you can decide not to buy the DVD when it's released!
This being said, I still have a hard time believing that they cancelled the show for other reasons than Mick's throat. I can't imagine that an insurance company would sign a contract that would allow the Stones to cancel a gig without having to support a huge part of the costs themselves. They're old, they've cancelled gigs in the past... With so much money at stake, wouldn't the insurance co. at least send a doctor from their own team to check if Mick's throat is really in such a bad state? It doesn't make sense to me - but that's just my (uninformed) 2 cents.
30th October 2006 10:38 AM
Joey " This is no longer MY BAND.

I'm seriously considering calling it a day and remembering the fun of shows past.

Too many hard working people got screwed in a really nasty way.

Please help me make a decision.

I value your input."

Come and join our party ...... Dress yourself to KILL !!!!

But Joey Flies Higher

[Edited by Joey]
30th October 2006 10:39 AM
jostorm self-centered? MY ARSE !!!!
There is nothing self-centered about being pissed off at the way they handle the cancellations when they happen. Funnily enough, after 19 European concerts were cancelled (so that the Stones could jet over to the USA in the fall, where customers are happy to bend that much further backwards before being financially sodomised), I never ever got even the briefest of emails saying "sorry, folks, hang in there, we'll make it up to you, blahblah.." BUT I got endless emails offering me yet another one of RS.com's tacky t-shirts or other mindbogglingly ugly "special edition mementoes"....THAT is the bit I find unforgivable...
Fleece me if you want, I certainly can afford it, but at least have the decency of saying "sorry" when you screw me at short notice!....
Personally I have decided that not one single cent of mine will go towards RS.Inc anymore, I'd rather donnate the money to "Medecins Sans Frontiers" and watch a DVD in the comfort of my home!
But , as Gazza says, each has to determine on his/her own when they say "enough is enough!", no one else can decide it for you...
30th October 2006 10:47 AM
glencar
quote:
Steel Wheels wrote:
I'll be there....as should you LJ! My birthday celebration rolls into November this year...

Gee, that's what Billy Clintoon did this year too!
30th October 2006 10:48 AM
Mr Jimmy Dear Lady Jane,

It's a classic case of logic vs emotion when trying to make
a decision and which overpowers the other in the final decision
making process. (Look it up) It turns out that even the most
seemingly logical decisions are cemnted by our emotions
regardless of convincing ourselves otherwise.

My absolute love of seeing the Stones perform live is far
from logical... it's heavily emotional. I can never describe that
incredible rush I get leading up to the show, hearing the first note,
the actual show, and then how long it takes me to come down.
If you feel it, you feel it. Have they pissed me off at various times?
...Absolutely. Would I deny myself the pleasure of seeing them
again... and again? Never ever ever. And neither should you.

I know you feel cheated, and though I don't know you, I've always
had the feeling that you're a very decent human being. Don't let
the Stones mistreatment of you result in you mistreating yourself.

I can enjoy seeing other bands perform but I'm one of those that
only feels the "magic" at a Stones show. For me, I'll only stop going
to shows when that magic stops.

30th October 2006 10:48 AM
glencar LJ, you know what my thoughts are. I understand the anger & I share it to some extent but I was planning on returning even before last night's show. I hope you make it.
30th October 2006 10:53 AM
LadyJane
quote:
glencar wrote:
LJ, you know what my thoughts are. I understand the anger & I share it to some extent but I was planning on returning even before last night's show. I hope you make it.

I just left you a message.

Are you really going back???

LJ.
30th October 2006 11:11 AM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
LJ, you know what my thoughts are. I understand the anger & I share it to some extent but I was planning on returning even before last night's show. I hope you make it.

Blue.

I feel your pain ............

Joey " BILL " Clinton ! ™
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)