ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

In memory of Art Wood
Cabbage Patch, Twickenham April 2005
© Paulywaul
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Beacon Theater, NYC - 29th October 2006 - Setlist, pics, reviews - PART ONE Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
30th October 2006 10:07 AM
lotsajizz cheers...GREAT review!
30th October 2006 10:09 AM
SweetVirginia
Thanks for the review and for posting those pics!

We were thinking about you last night as that great setlist came in.

SV

30th October 2006 10:10 AM
Gazza
quote:
scope wrote:
People, calm yourself. Live With Me started rocking hard. Some blonde comes out and sings with Mick. If this is what you want to gripe about then go ahead. I guess there are some that will never be pleased and always look for something negative. The show was one of the best I've ever seen and if I get the same show again tomorrow, I will be just as happy as I am today.

Nope...it just sounds a bit of an odd combination to me, personally.

But if you and others who were there say it came off well musically, thats what matters.

Glad you and everyone else who posted a review had a great time
[Edited by Gazza]
30th October 2006 10:10 AM
nankerphelge Glad everyone had a good time -- I am so happy for you all.

I would like to believe that Mick was indeed a bit off as luxy noted (and if I trust anyone to diagnose Mick, it is her) -- I must say that the AC cancellation took a heavy toll on a number of true blue fans. I know the Stones could care less as the dollar signs from the Beacon DVD dancing in their eyes. But a lot of really good people got really screwed.

30th October 2006 10:23 AM
SweetVirginia
You're so right, Nanky.

And by the way, it might have been a good business decision to cancel AC. It was also easily forseeable once they started rehearsing at the Beacon. I think we all feel really screwed by the timing of the announcement. They had to have known WAY before 2:30 pm on the day of the show.

That hurt.

30th October 2006 10:27 AM
Bitch Just to add a note regarding MICK's voice, when he was speaking I did notice his voice sounded a little horse, it was a bit rough. When MICK sang, he was fine, although he did soften his volume down some of the songs. I thought he did that because it was a small theatre and not a hugh stadium, and I love it when MICK sings a bit more softly and sweetly.
30th October 2006 10:52 AM
GotToRollMe Thanks to all for the great photos and reviews and to MEG for bringing in the setlist. Jeep, as always, you're amazing. And Bitch, thank you for the review and awesome header pic. I'm really happy for all the RO'ers and Shidoobees who got into this show - you guys finally got a worthy setlist! Gold rings on yuz!

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
30th October 2006 11:25 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

Yes.
Recorded in Lisbon, Spain.

Lisbon or Lisboa is in Portugal and it was recorded in the studio
30th October 2006 11:27 AM
Gazza
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:

You're so right, Nanky.

And by the way, it might have been a good business decision to cancel AC. It was also easily forseeable once they started rehearsing at the Beacon. I think we all feel really screwed by the timing of the announcement. They had to have known WAY before 2:30 pm on the day of the show.

they did. People have been shown faxes received at Bally's at 11 am confirming not only that the show was off but that the new date of 17th November had already been arranged.

What time is check-in at these hotels? No wonder the conspiracy theorists had a field day.
30th October 2006 11:27 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Oops Now I see Gazza already clarified this point
30th October 2006 11:57 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Nope...it just sounds a bit of an odd combination to me, personally.

But if you and others who were there say it came off well musically, thats what matters.

Glad you and everyone else who posted a review had a great time
[Edited by Gazza]

I'm just ticked that skank was there..and I wasnt!...Christina....not Chelsea
30th October 2006 12:08 PM
PartyDoll MEG Since so few photos are available, I decided to post these fuzzy ones from Bitch:

30th October 2006 12:16 PM
Saint Sway Sounds like an awesome show. Pissed I missed it. I stood out all morning hoping for tix to get rereleased but by 1pm they were sending everyone away saying there were no more tix...

what a cool set list! Jack White!!!! Hell yes! Cant wait for the film!!! Last time I heard "Champagne & Reefer" it was Black Crowes in the very same theatre. Bet the Stones did it solid

tell me why the fuck they cant play inspired sets like this all the time???

1. Start Me Up
2. Shattered
3. She Was Hot
4. All Down The Line
5. Loving Cup with Jack White!!!!!!!!!!
6. As Tears Go By
7. I'm Free (last played in Dec 21, 1969 according to Gazza)
8. Undercover
9. Just My Imagination
10. SHINE A LIGHT!!!!!!!
11. Champagne and Reefer with Buddy Guy (live debut)
12. Tumbling Dice
...INTROS....
13. You Got The Silver
14. T & A
15. Sympathy For The Devil
16. Live With Me with Christina Aguilera
17. Paint It Black
18. Jumping Jack Flash
...ENCORE...
19. Satisfaction
30th October 2006 12:31 PM
GotToRollMe Sway! Nice to see you around! I'm so sorry I missed you on Friday night. I got pretty blotto and wound up going home at 8:30, so I missed the Taj show as well as a bunch of other stuff. Hopefully we shall meet on the 17th.
30th October 2006 12:32 PM
Your Cousin Lou Wow, what can I say? I was in the first full row, maybe the fifth or sixth over all, Keith’s side, near the far catwalk. The first row that went completely around. It was a good location, as it was far enough out of the way that I didn't get moved - I was trying to keep a low profile. When the doors officially opened, a woman came up to the shidoobees next to me, and was asking them to help her find her seat. I thought she looked familiar, but she was wearing a rather large hat, which made it difficult to see her face. They asked me to look at the ticket, and I realized that she was looking at it upside down, so I flipped it over and told her that her seat was row y seat 16 - she did not seem pleased. It wasn't until after she walked away when they told me it was Lauren Hutton...
buddy guy is an amazing performer, and it was a pleasure to watch his set. At one point he walked off the stage into the audience, but on the other side of the stage, so we did not get a close-up.

Bill Clinton came out at nine, to a positive reception, and he looked to be in good shape, much better than he was following his surgery in 2004.
The stones came out later than planned, but when they did, the crowd went crazy - even the non-fan professional actors, but I guess they were paid to go crazy. The young ladies in front of me didn't seem to be big fans, which bothered me for a minute, but then I thought to myself, this is the rolling fucking stones, and I am in the front at the beacon theater, and all was well and good in my world once again! The sound was muddy during the start me up, I could not hear Mick or Ronnie well, but that cleared up during shattered. I looked over and saw Doug getting down, and I could tell Mick was playing to the shidoobees on that one! She was hot was great, much tighter than the previous versions I have heard from this tour - Keith really started taking control on this one, in my opinion, he stole the show from here on out. All down the line was next and I was rocking out, although my seat would not stay up, so I had to hold it in place while the camera crew walked back and forth in front of me. I noticed that the guy who had to push the camera back and forth all night was singing along to all of the songs, which was cool - all the film crew people were great. Next was loving cup, and jack white was a good choice, although I always prefer to hear the stones without guests (except for buddy guy, who was awesome). I love the song, so I was just excited to hear it live for the first time (never heard it live before). Atgb was amazing as well, I like this version a lot, as the original is a great song, but doesn't really incorporate the whole band, but this was really transformed by Charlie’s beat. I’m free was also enjoyable - I think this was the first time it was played since 1969, and I guess the commercial has brought it to prominence again, as many people were singing along. Undercover of the night was next and if you would have told me when this tour started that I would hear 2 songs from undercover on the same tour, let alone the same show, I would have laughed. That said, I hope this is on the DVD, because it blew the studio version out of the water, due to the absence of 80's production. Imagination was next, and I had heard it before at Giants stadium, but it is such a great song that I could hear it 20 times in a row. Similar to the 78 handsome girls version. The centerpiece of the evening was next; shine a light. What a flawless version of a great song. Bill Clinton was on his feet for this one, maybe it was a special request. Friggin’ amazing, all I can say - I am still in a state of shock. Buddy guy came out and did champagne and reefer with the boys, and this was the best guest spot of the night, as the crowd was really into buddy's opening set, and happy to have him back. I won't get into the warhorses, but Keith was on top of his game for his set. I am laughing now, as I think about the rumors and speculation about his health after the Chicago show. Folks, if you haven't heard, KEITH RICHARDS IS FINE. Not only fine, but he nailed his vocals on ygts and t&a (I tried to see what bill Clinton was doing during this one). The last song I will get into was live with me, which featured an appearance by Christina Aguilera. I know that it will have put some people off, but it is obvious that she has an amazing vocal range and is a talented performer. This was a good song for her to guest on, given her image, and she and Mick really played off each other well. She also "played" off Ronnie, and tried to fool around with Keith, but she didn't get far, as Keith was having none of it until the song ended, and she kissed everyone on the cheek, except for Charlie, who looked disappointed.
One further observation is that Hillary was getting into the show, standing and clapping along to the beat. She has a better sense of rhythm than bill, from what I saw. For some reason, they skipped brown sugar, which was on the set list at 19 and only did satisfaction. When Charlie threw his drumsticks into the audience, he nearly hit an older gentleman in the noggin, but the guy didn't move or flinch at all, maybe he didn't see it coming.

I’m still on a high right now, I just want to say thank you to Doug again, can't wait to do it all over on Tuesday. I hope that the shidoobees who were let in, only to be kicked out can be at the show Tuesday. That must have been awful for them & maybe they can come to the meeting spot early to see if they can get added, as I know they called some people last minute. That was no way for them to be treated!

Sorry about the lack of caps and punctuation, but I had to type this up on my pda.
30th October 2006 12:35 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
Sway! Nice to see you around! I'm so sorry I missed you on Friday night. I got pretty blotto and wound up going home at 8:30, so I missed the Taj show as well as a bunch of other stuff. Hopefully we shall meet on the 17th.

quite understandable. I think we all wanted to drown ourselves in a giant vat of booze once the news broke of the cancellation

I'm in for wednesdays bullshit re-taping. Gonna try and find a way in for Tuesdays show...
30th October 2006 01:21 PM
speedfreakjive no Brown Sugar - WTF!
30th October 2006 01:26 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
no Brown Sugar - WTF!

dont you dare complain about missing war horses!

30th October 2006 01:38 PM
Your Cousin Lou
quote:
speedfreakjive wrote:
no Brown Sugar - WTF!

it was on the setlist at 19, but they skipped it. maybe on account of mick's throat? maybe because they started late? they took a longer than usual break in between the show and encore, charlie came out, then went back, so they probably changed it up then.
30th October 2006 01:40 PM
pdog I missed my exit!
30th October 2006 01:55 PM
speedfreakjive very good setlist! especially like the 'Silver', 'Lovin' Cup', 'Undercover' and 'Shine A Light' additions!

bring on the DVD
[Edited by speedfreakjive]
30th October 2006 02:12 PM
Saint Sway anyone else confused as to why they would plug 2 tracks from Undercover at a show they are filming for posterity?

I'm diggin SWH but it just seems funny to me to dig out 2 tracks from this dud of an album and ignore Sticky Fingers completely

song count:
Undercover: 2
Sticky Fingers: 0
30th October 2006 02:14 PM
GotToRollMe I posted this in the AC thread, but I think it's liable to be read here by more people, so I'm re-posting it here. I don't think everyone realizes how lucky we are to have such a great crew running this board:

I want to publicly thank Gazza for providing all of us with an outlet to vent our feelings for the past few days, being an active presence on the board as a fan as well as a moderator, and pulling no punches in expressing his own feelings about the Atlantic City debacle. Speaking strictly for myself, it did me a lot of good to be able to post my feelings as well as read others' thoughts on the matter.

So thanks, Gazza, for everything, always.

30th October 2006 02:15 PM
Dan
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
anyone else confused as to why they would plug 2 tracks from Undercover at a show they are filming for posterity?

I'm diggin SWH but it just seems funny to me to dig out 2 tracks from this dud of an album and ignore Sticky Fingers completely

song count:

Yeah but they played the hell out of Sticky Fingers the last few tours. I have seen every song but You Gotta Move. It will be fairly represented on the Austin DVD.
30th October 2006 02:16 PM
speedfreakjive
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
anyone else confused as to why they would plug 2 tracks from Undercover at a show they are filming for posterity?

song count:

just the frequency of times these tunes played was surely the reason
30th October 2006 03:56 PM
oldkr yeah we really SHOULD be bitching about the stelist last night .....jeez no Brown Sugar how will life go on

OLDKR
30th October 2006 04:39 PM
pdog
quote:
oldkr wrote:
yeah we really SHOULD be bitching about the stelist last night .....jeez no Brown Sugar how will life go on

OLDKR

You have a great attitude... I value that... I don't care about setlists. I'm still grieving for my own loss.
Life goes on!
30th October 2006 04:52 PM
mrhipfl If only they would play this set to bring joy to their fans. Or better yet, to bring joy to themselves!
30th October 2006 04:56 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mrhipfl wrote:
If only they would play this set to bring joy to their fans. Or better yet, to bring joy to themselves!

Amen!

this band baffles me. Theres absolutely no reason they cant do sets more like this for us.
30th October 2006 05:00 PM
Gazza some photos to come from Beast, who was one of the trio who flew over from London only to get shut out of the Beacon ticket sale because they didnt have a US address and then get let down further with the Atlantic City show being postponed while en route to the gig - and with passes to the Rattlesnake Inn to boot. her luck changed last night and she was one of the few standing outside who got in. here's what happened - a nice story:

I managed it thanks to persistence and
refusing to give up hope - and being very VERY
lucky to be in the right place at the right time. I froze my butt off
for
over 8 hours outside that theatre. It was really
extremely cold. The queue was never that long - only about 30 or 40
strong
at most and I was about tenth in line.
We were repeatedly told there were NO tickets, we were wasting our time
etc, and finally we were moved on by the
cops and no one was allowed to hang out at the front at all. So
watched
Mick, L'Wren, Ronnie and co coming and
going and saw the line of lucky fans with tickets going in. When all
the
people were nearly in I moved to the front
and hovered around along with Little Queenie, who had been holding a
sign
"I need a ticket" all day. A cop kept
coming to move us on but we just kept hovering. We were just looking at
Shelly Lazar out front wondering if any tix
at all would be released when a young guy thrust FOUR tix and
wristbands in
Little Queenie's hand and said have
fun! And I was one of the lucky three she chose to give a ticket to.
They
were freebies from the Clinton Foundation!!
So we didn't even pay. Otherwise, NONE were released that I know of
and a
lot of people got scalped BIG TIME - not
only did you have to show ID and have your name matched against a list
but
you had to give the name of the person
who bought the ticket. I heard of one person being stung for $2500. I
had
been expecting a bit of a tame show but
not a bit of it. Everyone gave it their all. But for me the star was
Ronnie - he played magnificently throughout. The
duet on 'Live with me' with Christine Aguilera was hot and they appeared to
be
loving it. I gotta go to work now! I
have some shots - I'll see if I can send some, I don't think they're
too
good but will give you an idea of what the view
was like in there. We snuck down on to the floor for the encore. I
think
we had better seats in the upper balcony -
unless you were in the front rows the view was badly obstructed by
moving
cameras etc. So - I have Little Queenie
to thank for my incredible good fortune

She sent me some photos which I'll upload and post shortly

[Edited by Gazza]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)