ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1988 Timothy White
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Repetitive Keef Riff that's Bugging Me! Return to archive
10-29-03 05:46 PM
UGot2Rollme sorry to be on the downside, and apologies for the non-musicians out there, but I've heard our beloved Keef repeating too much of a riff lately that has become too predictable and kind of a bummer (unlike alot of C. Berry riffs that I won't tire of for the rest of my life)....

in the key of E, the bummer jam (single note)is
E.G.E..... B(sustain)...E

I now hear it on most of K's solos. Doesn't bug me as much as Chuck's plinkplink, but...
can you relate?

if not, I'll post on IORR, but thought I'd start here first since IORR site is down tonite.
10-29-03 05:57 PM
sandrew You're gonna have to describe it better. I'm a guitar player but can't tell what you mean. Whatever the example, I agree, but don't think you've gone far enough: I think Keith should stop soloing, period.
10-29-03 07:23 PM
T&A You know - MANY guitar players get into ruts where they play the same figures over and over again. Keith got into one during the '81 tour where he had a little up-and-down scale that he played to death. His natural gift is not leads for sure - but he seems to have tired of playing chord riffs, too, so what's a poor boy to do!?
10-29-03 08:31 PM
MidnightRambler I think I know EXACTLY what riff you're talking about. Keith just about does it in every solo he gets. He could be 3 minutes into a song and I still haven't heard it but I know it's coming. He usually does it in a blues or jazz song--but lately it's popping up in songs like "Sympathy" "satisfaction" and TONS in "Whip Comes Down"

In case no knows what the hell I'm talking about...

I pulled out the MSG '03 disks and put it on "When The Whip Comes Down". On my Disk, it's Track 8. The riff pops up right between 3:38-3:40. You should be able to hear it--we all know what Keith's big Gibson should guitar sounds like.

Pull out the "No Security" disk and put it on "Memory Motel" it happens at 1:03 to 1:04.

For guitar players:
In the key of A:

/ = slide from, to..
~~ = bend to

E------------------5---7~~8--5
B------------ 5/ 7---------------7
G--------------------------------
D--------------------------------
A--------------------------------
E--------------------------------

[Edited by MidnightRambler]
10-29-03 09:35 PM
Child of the Moon Midnight Rambler, as soon as I played it on my guitar, I knew what you weer talking about. And yes, that lick does crop up *a lot.* He seems to do it a bunch in performances of Slipping Away - that's the first one that leaps to mind when I play it.
[Edited by Child of the Moon]
10-29-03 10:44 PM
Steel Wheels The one thing that I've noticed is that I'll never be anywhere near as good as Keef, so I'll just shut up and play my guitar and channel whatever I can, repetitive riffs or not.
10-30-03 02:42 AM
UGot2Rollme You got it Rambler - it's all over the place!
10-30-03 03:25 AM
Moonisup true!!!

During some concerts a friend of mine said it, isen't this the same little thing that he does in the song: Route 66 on their first album?? he does do that quite often too!!
very funny
[Edited by Moonisup]
10-30-03 10:08 AM
patioaintdry That '81 tour little up-and-down scale that he played to death closed Tie You Up (Pain of Love) or whatever its called on Undercover.
10-30-03 03:36 PM
T&A patio - yes, that's the one!

A fun little figure it is - but he fucking played it on just about every lead in '81 - particularly on Let Me Go.

It's the sign of a guy who really isn't cut out for lead playing, if you ask me. I mean, we already know that Keith's main contribution to the guitar is his power chord riffs, so no big surprise that he lacks in being able to construct a spontaneous guitar solo without falling back on the same ol' figures over and over.

One of the worst offenders of the practice is Son Seals - I had a record of his many moons ago that I practically had to throw out because he kept using the same fucking run in every damned solo. Enough!