ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1988 Timothy White
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Acoustic Guitar in the Steel Wheels Tour? Return to archive
10-29-03 05:25 PM
Flashpoint What was the acoustic guitar Keith use for PIB,Tuesday,etc?

I can't find a word to describe that sound...Angie sounded really weird to me
Also i wanna know why he stop using it
10-29-03 05:34 PM
hmps "What was the acoustic guitar Keith use for PIB,Tuesday,etc?

I can't find a word to describe that sound...Angie sounded really weird to me
Also i wanna know why he stop using it"

I don't think he used any acoustic guitar for PIB or Tuesday. He used one for "Salt of the earth" .

I think (*hmps thinks*) he uses a gibson. played with a sharp sound. and then he just pulls the strings very hard (don't try that at home unless you wanna run down buy some new ones - keith changes strings every day on tour).
10-29-03 05:42 PM
sandrew It was a custom-made (brand?) nylon-stringed electric. A beautiful, classical sound. Keith's acoustic guitars have sounded like crap ever since. I noticed Waddy using the '89 nylon during the '93 solo tour.
10-29-03 10:31 PM
Steel Wheels I have an article from Guitar World regarding that classic guitar. Some little old man built it for Keef. He liked it so much he cut the solo for Almost Hear You Sigh with it.
10-29-03 11:23 PM
Phog Don't know the brand, but I remember he called the guitar "Guts". It was an acoustic, telecaster-style instrument.
[Edited by Phog]
10-29-03 11:33 PM
beer "The other thing I did this year, I decided I was ready to buy a good classical guitar, a gut-string. I got this Velasquez, a beautiful instrument made in 1956. It's just growing up; it's just 33 (laughs). I started to use that on Steel Wheels. (I played the solo with it on Almost Hear You Sigh). Yeah, we called him Guts."

- Keith Richards, 1989

from here:
http://www.timeisonourside.com/

10-29-03 11:55 PM
FTELE52 It was a Sadowsky guitar you are referring to. Manhattan based custom builder quite popular with many session guys in NYC.
Here is his site: http://www.sadowsky.com/
10-30-03 02:54 AM
marko 89 sound on paint it black was horrible,sounded like a folk
song.same goes to angie.its still awful.
10-30-03 07:17 AM
John Wood The reason it sounded strange was that "Guts" had nylon strings. Steel Wheels is the only time that I can think of that Keith played a nylon strung guitar live.
10-30-03 10:37 AM
T&A John:

Wasn't it a nylon-string he played on YGTS in '99?
10-30-03 10:57 AM
sandrew Y'all are talking about two different guitars. The Sadowsky is electric; the one for "Sigh" is acoustic. No nylon for '99 "Silver.