ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Đ 1988 Timothy White
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ninth Gate (ns) Return to archive
10-28-03 02:21 PM
Factory Girl Is this movie any good? Directed by Roman Polanski- and starring Johnny Depp.
10-28-03 02:22 PM
Miss U. Yes, I liked it alot.
10-28-03 02:30 PM
jb I liked it
10-28-03 02:32 PM
Cardinal Fang Hello F.G. !!!

You must be spying on me because I just saw that movie on cable a little while ago.

I didn't like the movie. As a film maker myself, I LOVED the cinematography !! The story starts out GREAT but by about half way through the movie it just DIES. The ending is unintentionally laughable and you will see it coming about 10 minutes before it actually happends.

"Man, I thought this was going to be REALLY good but WTF happend ?"

THIS is what you will say to yourself after watching this movie. I know you like Johnny Depp but even he can't really save this movie. Brad Pitt is pretty good (Johnny too) What's really BAD about this movie is it has a GREAT premise and a really good "secret" that you discover about half to 2/3rds of the way through. But then.........FUCKING NOTHING !!!!! They do NOTHING with the ending. It's as cliche as it gets.

Rent it or watch it on HBO. Do NOT buy this movie.

That's my five cents.

Hope you are well too

Later, JW
10-28-03 02:36 PM
jb Then again, I liked "Yentel".
10-28-03 02:54 PM
Factory Girl Thanks. I bought it, but will return it unopened.

Oh, and I don't like Brad Pitt.
10-28-03 02:59 PM
caro Hey FG, I agree with everything Fang said. I spent most of the film wondering "How can a guy like Polanski use such cheap tricks??"
On the "positive" side, I thought Emmanuelle Seigner (the actress) was really cool (and I suppose Polanski was actually more interested in gazing at her than in actually making the film).

If you want that kind of movie with Johnny Depp in it, you could watch Sleepy Hollow. But you probably know that one already ?
10-28-03 06:51 PM
Some Guy One weird flick. I bought it.
10-29-03 03:36 PM
throbby I thought this was a much needed change from the typical shit that is released. Maybe Mr. Fang could give Mr. Polanski some pointers on film making, I'm sure he'd love to hear them.
10-29-03 03:48 PM
Cardinal Fang
quote:
throbby wrote:
I thought this was a much needed change from the typical shit that is released. Maybe Mr. Fang could give Mr. Polanski some pointers on film making, I'm sure he'd love to hear them.

Read my review again. I agree that it was a great first half of a movie. The ending WAS LAME. It was no different then half a dozen other movies that recently came out. How was the ending "a change from the typical shit" ??? (It wasn't) You are entitled to your opinions. Sorry I can't go over to Europe to meet with Polanski but I would tell him that it sucked. (wouldn't be the first person) Roman recently admitted in an interview in Film Cult that he "could have done better with the ending but ran out of time". Believe me, he doesn't need my advice, he already seems to know.

Later, Cardinal Fang
10-29-03 04:16 PM
marko The ending was very LAME,,,,,like u said cardinal.Very
interesting up to half way,,,,,then,nothing.There hasnīt been ANY good horror movie in a long time.I also think that
MATRIX reloaded sucked a big time.
10-29-03 04:40 PM
throbby Yes, the ending was predictable, but half an interesting film is better than most of what is released these days.

"Even hell has its heroes"
10-29-03 04:49 PM
Monkey Woman I didn't see the film on its release (too much to do at the time) but now I'm curious. I'm a fan of Polanski, and I've loved the book he adapted. I wonder if that lame ending is very different from the book's? I thought that in the novel it worked quite well (even if just a trick, if you look at it closely) but I think it would not translate well on screen.
10-30-03 02:24 PM
Factory Girl Best Buy gave me a price match discount on 9th Gate, so I may keep it.

I just got Citizen Kane, which I've never seen before!!

Matrix-have not seen any of the movies. Not interested. Keanu Reeves is a freak.