ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1988 Timothy White
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Still Life Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-27-03 02:30 PM
jb I took a 15 dollar Borders gift card my son had received for his birthday and bought "Still Life" this weekend...i have literally not listened to this since the mid 80'...It brought back memeories of the 81 tour, particularly the opening......I noticed, however, that even at this time, the guitars were very weak......I thought Wyman and Watts, however, were exceptional......Where was the Chicago show held out? Also, where was the New Jersey show performed at?
10-27-03 02:33 PM
Boomy I prefer the sound from '81 over anything from this Licks tour.

I mean, it was still "The Stones"....you know what I mean. Maybe the songs were rushed, but it was just more rock n' roll, IMO.
10-27-03 02:53 PM
Fiji Joe Yeah, I really like the early 80's sound and Still Life is one of my faves...
10-27-03 03:04 PM
glencar I had to go to Costco today & they had a three pack of Stones CDs for frigging $18.99! I didn't buy since I have every single official release except "Rewind" but those of you missing "Flashpoint" & "Steel Wheels" & another that I can't remember should get to Costco right away.
10-27-03 03:12 PM
Kjell Don't wanna be rude here, but..
for me the 80's was the worst musical period of all.
Too much disco and Mick & Keith fighting over were to go.
(like the song Fight) I'm happy Keith won and Stones are now more back to rockn roll. The best 's is the sixties and will be forever.
But on the other hand it might just be a case of when you were born and a nostalgica thing.
10-27-03 03:17 PM
glencar You hit the nail on the proverbial head, Kjell. I'm amazed when these chicks who've listened to the Stones since Voodoo Lounge take that to be a high point. I'm even more amazed when they take over websites(NOT this one!) & appoint themselves experts.
10-27-03 03:38 PM
Gazza >took a 15 dollar Borders gift card my son had received for his birthday and bought "Still Life" this weekend...i have literally not listened to this since the mid 80'...It brought back memeories of the 81 tour, particularly the opening......I noticed, however, that even at this time, the guitars were very weak......I thought Wyman and Watts, however, were exceptional......Where was the Chicago show held out? Also, where was the New Jersey show performed at?

the Chicago shows were at Rosemont Horizon from 23-25 November. The NJ shows (5-7 November) were at the newly opened Brendan Byrne Arena in East Rutherford in the grounds of Giants Stadium (aka "The Meadowlands" and now known as the Continental Airlines Arena). The same venue was used for the indoor footage for the "lets spend the night together" movie.

For the record, the 11 officially released songs from this tour come from the following shows :

Under My thumb - Meadowlands 5.11.81
Start me up, Beast of Burden (non-album B-side) - Chicago 25.11.81
Let Me Go - Largo, Md 7.12.81
20 flight Rock, Going to A Go go - Largo,Md. 9.12.81
Satisfaction - Tempe,Az. 13.12.81
Lets spend the night together, Shattered, Time is on my side - Hampton 18.12.81
Just My Imagination - Hampton 19.12.81

10-27-03 03:41 PM
jb Thank You Gazza...you seemed moved by this post.
10-27-03 03:49 PM
glencar "Beast of Burden" is rather ragged.
10-27-03 03:50 PM
jb That's not on Still Life.
10-27-03 03:52 PM
glencar Duh.
10-27-03 03:52 PM
glencar Look at Gazza's post more carefully.
10-27-03 03:53 PM
glencar I should chase you from here.
10-27-03 03:57 PM
jb O.K.-never heard it....
10-27-03 04:07 PM
glencar I have it one the 45 RPM single. Remember those? The A-side is "Going To A Go-go" which I didn't see in concert.
10-27-03 04:09 PM
Gazza >Thank You Gazza...you seemed moved by this post.

just my bowels, Josh.

Youre not missing much by not having heard the version of "beast of burden" that was released on the B-side of "going to a go go". It's as "ragged" as a baglady.
10-27-03 04:10 PM
glencar I played the cassette tape once for a Stones fan & he didn't recognize it. Was it all the coke?
10-27-03 06:35 PM
Kjell
quote:
glencar wrote:
"Beast of Burden" is rather ragged.

yep and sad to say far better with Bette Middler or whats here name.
10-27-03 07:52 PM
T&A Gazza:

totally agree on Beast b-side. Atrocious. They had many good versions of that from the tour.

General observations on Still Life:

1) It doesn't nearly represent the tour - waaay too many missing gems from the tour - Black Limo, Let it Bleed,etc. Should have been a double disc.

2) They cut the guts out of Imagination! This was an epic song on tour and they edited the guts right out of it. Reprehensible! (They did a similar slice job on Flashpoint's SFTD, where the cut most of KR's solo out).

3) What's up with Let Me Go? - sounds like it was sped up in the studio - no other version from the tour is played this fast. Sounds like studio trickery a la Got Live If You Want It...

4) I didn't even bother buying this on CD issue as I have more than enough high-quality boots from the tour...each of which far surpasses this release and makes it superfluous.
10-27-03 10:05 PM
Some Guy jb, what about your son, does he know that you took the card. How will you repay this debt. Does he get the show, is he a fan? I really dig the Tattoo You days. Just kidding bro.
10-27-03 10:38 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVE THIS ALBUM AND LISTEN TO IT ENDLESSLY.I LIKE THE 81 PPV SHOW BETTER BECAUSE IT SHOWS THE BAND IN ALL ITS RAGGED GLORY.20 FLIGHT AND GOGO ARE MY TOPS.
10-27-03 11:26 PM
Stonesthrow Glencar-- In my neighborhood, the Costco threesome was Flashpoint, Steel Wheels, and Black & Blue.

It was also my understanding that the entire Side 2 of Still Life was from the Tempe, AZ show in 12/81. I, and 80,000 of my closest friends, were there. A good time was had by all.

10-28-03 12:55 AM
parmeda
quote:
Gazza wrote:
the Chicago shows were at Rosemont Horizon from 23-25 November.

For the record, the 11 officially released songs from this tour come from the following shows :

Under My thumb - Meadowlands 5.11.81
Start me up, Beast of Burden (non-album B-side) - Chicago 25.11.81
Let Me Go - Largo, Md 7.12.81
20 flight Rock, Going to A Go go - Largo,Md. 9.12.81
Satisfaction - Tempe,Az. 13.12.81
Lets spend the night together, Shattered, Time is on my side - Hampton 18.12.81
Just My Imagination - Hampton 19.12.81

jb...if you're wondering why things sounded a little weak, IMO the Rosemont shows were really nothing to write home about. At that time, the venue was the only place available for concerts on that type of scale. The Chicago Stadium was occupied w/hockey & basketball, and the Wirtz family shunned away from big names (assholes that they are) and the United Center had not been built yet.

If I remember correctly, the stage was an 'in-the-round' set-up. And again, IMO, the facility didn't do the Stones any justice.
[Edited by parmeda]
10-28-03 10:19 AM
Factory Girl I don't go to Costco.
10-28-03 10:28 AM
jb But I thought they mostly played large outdoor stadiums on that tour with a few exceptions ...why not Soldiers Field?
And don't worry "Some Guy", we all should have a childhood like my boys, they lack for nothing and think money grows on my backyard trees...
10-28-03 10:45 AM
Joey " And don't worry "Some Guy", we all should have a childhood like my boys, they lack for nothing and think money grows on my backyard trees... "

I just pray to GOD !!!! that this country does not re-institute the Draft anytime soon so that your sons don't have to go over to Iraq ( The 'Nam ) and shed blood for WHAT ?!?!?!?!

I don't see an exit strategy anywhere ..................paging Dr. Kissinger !

Paging Dr. Warren Kruger ......................!

" Your country ain't your blood Ronnie ! "

Jacky Caan !
10-28-03 03:48 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
But I thought they mostly played large outdoor stadiums on that tour with a few exceptions ...why not Soldiers Field?
And don't worry "Some Guy", we all should have a childhood like my boys, they lack for nothing and think money grows on my backyard trees...

They didn't play Soldier Field because it was colder than a witches tit being late November

I missed that show and am still pissed to this day
10-28-03 04:09 PM
glencar Yes, "Black & Blue" was the 3rd CD in the package. Very good!
10-28-03 04:09 PM
glencar Joshy, he said he was just kidding. Lighten up, Alice.
10-28-03 05:20 PM
Fiji Joe Well, you can say what you want about Baboons, I still say humans have the best asses
Page: 1 2