ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1988 Timothy White
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Working titles for Voodoo Lounge? Return to archive
10-27-03 01:48 AM
padre Does any of you remember were there any working titles for Voodoo Lounge? I remember reading "Blessed Poison" and several others for Bridges, but how about the Voodoo album?
10-27-03 01:49 PM
Monkey Woman Must have been 'Voodoo Lounge' from the beginning. There's a cute story about how it came to be named that:

While recording in Dublin, Keith put up a cardboard sign on the studio door which read "Dox Office - and Voodoo Lounge", Keith being the doctor and Voodoo being the name he had given to a stray cat he had adopted.

Keith Richards (1994): The record company's screaming at us, We need a title, an angle, artwork. Then, suddenly, Mick turns around and says, Your sign. I'm the doc. It's like a ritual, a fetish... We agonized over (the title). And it was staring us in the face. Finally, it was Mick who said, What about Voodoo Lounge? Why not? Kind of like Beggars Banquet. Right number of syllables. I was really pissed with myself, though, after painting the sign and all. I'm usually the one with the cheap ideas, not Mick. His are usually real expensive.

http://www.timeisonourside.com/lpVoodoo.html
10-27-03 03:18 PM
glencar "Dog Shit" was an early title. How appropriate.
10-28-03 07:56 PM
gotdablouse "several others"? Only "Blessed Poison" as far as I know.
Good summary on the VL story!

"Dog Shit" was not the working title for anything on VL though, possible the WT for Pretty Beat Up though, off UC.
10-28-03 08:21 PM
Gazza Blessed Poison was the original title for BTB, right up to just before the tour was announced.

"Dog shit" has often been mentioned as the working title for "pretty beat up" as a result of a BBC radio interview in October 1983 when Bill was explaining the process of cutting a song when it would start from a riff and they wouldnt have any proper lyrics or titles. he gave "pretty beat up" as an example and said "we might call it 'dog shit' or something" (ie just as a reference). I dont think he meant it literally, although as "Slave" had a working title of "Vagina", i guess anythings possible!
10-28-03 08:26 PM
SHINE A LIGHT dogshit in the doorway is the way keith describes mick's solo thing.
10-28-03 09:05 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
dogshit in the doorway is the way keith describes mick's solo thing.

I agree with Keith's assessment.
10-29-03 01:22 AM
Highwire Rob On keithrichards.com in one of the Q&A (from no later than the beginning of 40 Licks Tour) Keith says that the eponymous "Voodoo" pet cat is alive and well.