ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1988 Timothy White
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Cash Unearthed Box Set Return to archive
10-22-03 09:32 PM
beer http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/nm/20031023/music_nm/music_cash_dc&e=5

Cash's 'Unearthed' Box Set Unveiled
9 minutes ago Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Barry A. Jeckell

NEW YORK (Billboard) - A sprawling five-disc Johnny Cash (news) box set will arrive Nov. 25 from American Recordings/Lost Highway. Dubbed "Unearthed," the set features 79 songs, 64 of them previously unreleased and produced by Rick Rubin during the late country great's sessions for his four "American Recordings" albums released between 1994 and 2002.

AP Photo
Slideshow: Singer Johnny Cash Dies at 71

Cash died Sept. 12 from complications related to diabetes at the age of 71.

The first three discs feature such finds as solo acoustic versions of "Long Black Veil" and "Flesh and Blood," and covers of Steve Earle (news)'s "Devil's Right Hand," Roy Orbison (news)'s "Down the Line" and the Neil Young (news) songs "Heart of Gold" and "Pocahontas."

Discs two and three boast several duets, some with old friends and others with newer acquaintances. On the veteran side, Cash's late Sun Records labelmate Carl Perkins joins him for a run through the familiar "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" while his bandmate in the Highwaymen, Willie Nelson (news), shows up on "Like a Soldier." Glen Campbell (news) sings with Cash on "Gentle on My Mind."

Skewing away from his contemporaries, late Clash lead singer Joe Strummer (news) joins Cash on a version of Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" and Tom Petty (news) appears on "The Running Kind." Fiona Apple (news) also sings "Father and Son" with him and Nick Cave (news) joins in on "Cindy." A solo version of "Redemption Song" also appears on Strummer's new album, "Streetcore."

The fourth "Unearthed" disc is subtitled "My Mother's Hymn Book," and is comprised of 15 songs from a book of hymns Cash's mother read to him as a child. Via solo acoustic performances, the deeply spiritual artist revisits such secular songs as "I Shall Not Be Moved," "Do Lord," "If We Never Meet Again This Side of Heaven" and "In the Sweet By and By."

The final disc is a "best of" representation of the four albums Cash released with Rubin at the helm: 1994's "American Recordings," 1996's "Unchained," 2000's "American III: Solitary Man" and last year's "American IV: The Man Comes Around."

"Unearthed" will also boast a 104-page clothbound book including a track-by-track discussion by Cash, Rubin and others. Also featured is one of Cash's final interviews, in which he and Rubin talk about the body of work they created.

Cash's life and career will be celebrated with a musical tribute Nov. 10 at Nashville's Grand Ole Opry. Nelson, John Mellencamp (news), Dwight Yoakam (news), George Jones (news), Rosanne Cash (news), Kris Kristofferson (news), Travis Tritt (news), Hank Williams (news) Jr. and Sheryl Crow (news) are among those confirmed to participate.

Here is the "Cash Unearthed" track list:

DISC I -- WHO'S GONNA CRY

"Long Black Veil"

"Flesh and Blood"

"Just the Other Side of Nowhere"

"If I Give My Soul"

"Understand Your Man"

"Banks of the Ohio"

"Two Timin' Woman"

"The Caretaker"

"Old Chunk of Coal"

"I'm Going to Memphis"

"Breaking Bread"

"Waiting for a Train"

"Casey's Last Ride"

"No Earthly Good"

"The Fourth Man in the Fire"

"Dark as a Dungeon"

"Book Review"

"Down There by the Train"

DISC II -- TROUBLE IN MIND:

"Pocahontas"

"I'm a Drifter" (Version 1)

"Trouble In Mind"

"Down the Line"

"I'm Moving On"

"As Long as the Green Grass Shall Grow"

"Heart of Gold"

"The Running Kind" (w/Tom Petty)

"Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby"

"Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" (w/Carl Perkins)

"'T' for Texas"

"Devil's Right Hand"

"I'm a Drifter" (Version 2)

"Like a Soldier" (w/Willie Nelson)

"Drive On" (alternate lyrics)

"Bird on a Wire" (live w/orchestra)

DISC III -- REDEMPTION SONGS

"A Singer of Songs"

"The L & N Don't Stop Here Anymore"

"Redemption Song" (w/Joe Strummer)

"Father and Son" (w/Fiona Apple)

"Chattanooga Sugar Babe"

"He Stopped Loving Her Today"

"Hard Times"

"Wichita Lineman"

"Cindy" (w/Nick Cave)

"Big Iron"

"Salty Dog"

"Gentle on My Mind" (w/Glen Campbell)

"You Are My Sunshine"

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"The Man Comes Around" (early take)

DISC IV -- MY MOTHER'S HYMN BOOK

"Where We'll Never Grow Old"

"I Shall Not Be Moved"

"I Am a Pilgrim"

"Do Lord"

"When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder"

"If We Never Meet Again This Side of Heaven"

"I'll Fly Away"

"Where the Soul of a Man Never Dies"

"Let the Lower Lights Be Burning"

"When He Reached Down"

"In the Sweet By and By"

"I'm Bound for the Promised Land"

"In the Garden"

"Softly and Tenderly"

"Just As I Am"

DISC V -- BEST OF CASH ON AMERICAN

"Delia's Gone"

"Bird on a Wire"

"Thirteen"

"Rowboat"

"The One Rose"

"Rusty Cage"

"Southern Accents"

"Mercy Seat"

"Solitary Man"

"Wayfaring Stranger"

"One"

"I Hung My Head"

"The Man Comes Around"

"We'll Meet Again"

"Hurt"

Reuters/Billboard

10-23-03 03:01 AM
UGot2Rollme isn't the title a little morbid considering they just buried the man?
10-23-03 09:17 AM
Sir Stonesalot Actually, I'd lay bets that Johnny would think the title hilarious.

This DEFINATELY goes on my Xmas list. C'mon Santa...I wasn't THAT bad this year, was I?
10-23-03 11:50 AM
KeepRigid Nice to see this being released as a set, instead of marketed as a bunch of 'new' albums over the next few years.
10-23-03 08:17 PM
Shockspeeder WOW, what great timing that was!!!
10-23-03 08:52 PM
Gazza this was already in the works several months ago - before Johnny died, so at least its no "cash in" (ouch - just realised the bad pun after I typed that).

Good God..November's gonna be a big month for my credit card. New Bruce and Stones DVDs released simultaneously, Bruce best of double cd (with a limited edition bonus CD of rarities), a Dylan tour and a Johnny cash boxed set. I'm sure theres more but I'm trying to avoid thining about it.

The "Gazza Aid" fund starts here....
10-23-03 09:31 PM
Larry Dallas As far as I can tell, Rick Rubin finished the final mixes of the boxed set the day before Johnny passed. They were in the mail and on the way to Tennessee the day he died. Rubin said that the earlier stuff is phenomenal while the song list looks just the same. Someone told me you can preorder the set on CDUniverse for about $49. That doesn't seem like a bad price for five discs.

I'm lucky enough to have tix for his memorial at the Ryman in Nashville on Nov. 10. I'll be sure to give a full report.
10-27-03 04:54 PM
Gazza Lucky you! Please do. Hope Bruce shows up.

heres some more from cmt.com

NASHVILLE SKYLINE: Cash Unearthed Presents a Fresh Glimpse of the Artist at Work

Chet Flippo
10/23/2003

(NASHVILLE SKYLINE is a column by CMT/CMT.com Editorial Director Chet Flippo.)

The raw, early stages of a creative career and the final, retrospective and introspective years are often the most fascinating and revealing about any artist's life and work.

The upcoming Johnny Cash box set Cash Unearthed is exciting news about the final years of his creative work. The music I've heard from it is a breathtaking glimpse into the workings of his mind toward the end of his life and career.

I suspect I'm in a minority, but I'm beginning to regard Cash's last years of recording as his most rewarding and most revealing. With his work for American Recordings, he opened himself up completely and began to admit his vulnerabilities and frailties -- to the ultimate public exposure with the "Hurt" song and video. Along the way, he ripped open the underbelly of America with some of this work. With such songs as "The Beast in Me," "Rusty Cage," "The Mercy Seat" and "Delia's Gone," Cash created and explored a bleak landscape of the soul that few artists could have envisaged.

Now, his unreleased recordings during that period will be included on the five-CD boxed set (release date of Nov. 25). Disc I is Who's Gonna Cry, Disc II is Trouble in Mind and Disc III is Redemption Songs. These three contain previously unreleased songs from the recording sessions for Cash's four American Recordings CDs. Songs include versions of Steve Earle's "Devil's Right Hand," Roy Orbison's "Down the Line" and Neil Young's "Heart of Gold" and "Pocahontas." There are also previously unreleased duets with Willie Nelson ("Like a Soldier"), Joe Strummer (Bob Marley's "Redemption Song"), Carl Perkins ("Brown-Eyed Handsome Man"), Nick Cave ("Cindy") and Fiona Apple (Cat Stevens' "Father and Son"). Disc IV is My Mother's Hymn Book and contains 15 previously unreleased songs taken from his mother Carrie's hymn book. Songs include "I Shall Not Be Moved" and "The Fourth Man in the Fire." Disc V is Best of Cash on American and presents songs from his four AR CDs.

In his early years, when he was rushing to get going in his early work for Sun and Columbia, Cash often was presenting first drafts of his work, rushed out pell-mell in the heat of creation. Sometimes fueled by drugs, Cash was in a frantic hurry to get his work done while it was hot. His middle years were marked by a certain contentment and - later -- a mild desperation to become relevant again. And in his late mid-life, it's amazing to look back now and realize that he did not have a single song on the Billboard country singles chart from 1990 to 1998 -- and in 1998, he was there only as a duet partner in Rodney Crowell's remake of "I Walk the Line."

It was only after the Nashville establishment deemed him totally irrelevant and after his record label Columbia dropped him, that Cash began the introspection that led him to re-evaluate his life and work and to begin a new career with music. In exploring the works of songwriters as diverse as Trent Reznor and Nick Cave and Nick Lowe and Loudon Wainwright III, he made those songs his own, reflecting, re-working and re-thinking them and his whole approach to music.

There's a reason that such veteran artists as Cash and Willie Nelson and Bruce Springsteen and Dolly Parton continue to draw public attention and praise. It's because of the quality and integrity of their work, and I trust I'm not being too obvious about that. Quality and integrity have become such absentee factors in the music world of late that they not be recognizable to younger fans who have grown up on prefabricated lyrics and Pro-Tooled synthetic sounds. Who among new artists today can shun industry pressures and record what their heart leads them to? By being rejected commercially, Cash had the freedom to follow his heart. If he had not had the courage to do so, he could not have completed his work. Along the way, he became the closest thing we may ever know to a classic American voice. A voice that speaks for generations.

Cash's legacies are only beginning to be understood. I have no doubt that his music and -- perhaps more importantly -- his life lessons will shape music and musicians for generations to come. He left a lot of lessons, some of which we probably don't yet grasp or even glimpse. And, in the end, Cash taught one of life's biggest lessons: how to bring dignity and candor to the end of life. Cash (as Pope John Paul is now doing) believed in allowing the public to witness and share his mortality and inevitable end. Cash once said that he got the beat for his great song "I Walk the Line" from his own heartbeat, and he put that kind of intensity and devotion and blood and sweat into everything he did.

To quote Bob Dylan, "In plain terms, Johnny was and is the North Star; you could guide your ship by him -- the greatest of the greats then and now."

10-27-03 04:56 PM
glencar Love "The Long Black Veil" & I'd like to hear his version. What's the Bruce DVD?
10-27-03 05:03 PM
Gazza Its the "Live In Barcelona" concert that was broadcast live on Vh1 in Europe last October (well...the first 90 mins were broadcast live up to "dancing in the dark"). An hour or so of the same concert was screened in the US last spring on CBS.

The DVD comes out here the same day as the Stones release and is a 2-DVD set of the full concert with a few extras.

heres the info:

Disc 1
The Rising
Lonesome Day
Prove It All Night
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Empty Sky
You're Missing
Waitin' on a Sunny Day
The Promised Land
Worlds Apart
Badlands
She's the One
Mary's Place
Dancing in the Dark
Countin' on a Miracle
Spirit in the Night
Incident on 57th Street
Into the Fire

Disc 2
Night
Ramrod
Born to Run
My City of Ruins
Born in the U.S.A.
Land of Hope and Dreams
Thunder Road
Bonus Documentary: "Drop the Needle and Pray: The Rising on Tour" - Featuring live footage of shows at Fenway Park and Giants Stadium, exclusive interviews with Springsteen and E Street Band members, and unpublished photos chronicling the Rising tour.

Release date (US): November 11, 2003

10-27-03 05:04 PM
glencar I'll have to check out amazon.com/. What I saw on CBS was great.
10-29-03 07:40 PM
Gazza Memphis Commercial Appeal

Tim Robbins to Host Cash Tribute Concert

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tim Robbins will host the Nov. 10 musical tribute to Johnny Cash at the Ryman Auditorium, Cash's longtime manager Lou Robin said Monday.

"He's looking forward to being the MC because he's been a friend and fan for many years," Robin said.

Cash wrote and performed "In Your Mind" for the soundtrack to "Dead Man Walking," a 1995 film Robbins directed.

Robbins, star of "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Bull Durham," did an audio interview with Cash for promotion of the singer's 2000 album, "American III: Solitary Man."

Cash died Sept. 12 at age 71 of complications from diabetes.

Tickets for the tribute concert were free and distributed by lottery. John Mellencamp, Dwight Yoakam, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Sheryl Crow, Hank Williams Jr., Jack Clement, Steve Earle, Larry Gatlin and Cash's daughter, Rosanne, are scheduled to perform.

Robin said other guests might be added.

[Edited by Gazza]
10-30-03 11:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels The Cash's are actually pretty cool. I joined the message board actually before he died. I only posted once though. One of his daughters at least, is a regular poster there...as is one of his grandsons. Quite a nice touch. Too bad the Stones wouldn't come join the online party once in awhile.
10-30-03 12:16 PM
Nasty Habits Banks of the Ohio!?!?!

The scariest murder ballad of all time!

Can't wait to hear that!

Awesome.