ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1988 Timothy White
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: them boots Return to archive Page: 1 2
10-18-03 11:04 AM
egon bootlegs,

Don’t know much about them.
Somehow I never really was interested in them.

However a lot of you people keep raving about how good some boots are, and maybe even better than some of the official live albums, that I’m starting to ask myself;

AM I MISSING OUT ON SOMETHING?

Now I guess that you could TELL me a lot about bootlegs, but the point is that you have to LISTEN to them to know.

As it is, I do have a couple of bootlegs that I more lor less bought (did he say bought?) by ‘accident’ over the years.

So, what can all you experts (and by all means, anyone else who thinks he/she has an opinion) tell me about my little boot collection?

Do I have gold… or do I just not have a clue?

- live usa – label imtrat
song 1- 7 recorded phili 1972
song 8-14 CA 1969

- going a gogo – label ? - ‘Italian make’
Silverdome Pontiac Michigan, Dec 1st 1981

- Start me up – label three cool cats
recorded during usa tour 1981

- Rocking at the forum 2cd – label big music
LA forum 13/07/75

- how does it feel – label zero records
werchter Belgium 25/06/95 – bonus tracks 24/06/95

So, do i have something here, or am i missing out on much better stuff?
10-19-03 03:16 AM
marko YES you´re missing nearly all there is.......
10-19-03 05:35 AM
hmps hello there.

try:

- Brussels Affair from 1973 - perhaps the greatest boot by the stones

- handsome girls 1978 - 4 cd set of the '78 tour

- LIVEr than you'll ever be 1969 - great show from the '69 US tour

- Stripped Companion 1994-95 (stripped outtakes and voodoo lounge b-sides and so on) = has a few excellent cuts such as beast of burden

and you'll be fine
10-19-03 07:46 AM
egon so the boots i have are they to be considered crap compared to what is out there?

i don't know, cos i've never heard any other bootlegs (stones or others), then my own.

some of them are not too bad imo.
10-20-03 09:32 AM
hmps "so the boots i have are they to be considered crap compared to what is out there?"

no not crap. some of them are good stuff.

although you really should check out "Brussels affair".
it's excellent. by that I mean: 10 out of 10. not a single bad cut.
great uptempo playing on some tunes.

it's a must in any rock collection
10-20-03 10:00 AM
Jumping Jack All the Sister Morphine issues are excellent including Timeless Europe, the best of the Brussels CDs. Perth 73 is even better than Brussels in my opinion.
10-20-03 10:25 AM
jb Hello Egon my #2 all time Dutch friend...before I came to this board, I too, had little knowlege or interest in boots...However, my ex-friend SS graciously sent me over 20 boots and life was never the same since then...I now have about 50 boots thanks to others like Throbby(a really generous guy who deserves much recognition here) and my #1 Dutch Frind Rik who sent me a great copy of the HG's discs...I can honestly say that I rarely play the albums anymore as these boots are substantially more enjoyable and you get the feel of what it must have been like to be at a show in say the 69-75 time period....
10-20-03 12:17 PM
Fiji Joe yeah...you're missing out on a lot...a Stones fan without boots is like a Beatles fan without bubble gum
10-20-03 12:19 PM
T&A JB - just how many Dutch friends do you have?
10-20-03 12:20 PM
jb 2
10-20-03 12:25 PM
T&A Well, then another way to look at it is that Rik your best Dutch friend, and Egon is your worst.
10-20-03 02:00 PM
steel driving hammer I'd like to know why Some Girls was never played on the Some Girls 78 Tour.
10-20-03 02:14 PM
Joey " - Brussels Affair from 1973 - perhaps the greatest boot by the stones "

Amen !

" SS graciously sent me over 20 boots and life was never the same since then...I now have about 50 boots thanks to others like Throbby(a really generous guy who deserves much recognition here) and my #1 Dutch Frind Rik ...... "

Me too ...Stoney opened up a whole new world for me . Isn't he just a God ?!?!?!?!

The Statue of him outside Charlestons is almost complete ---Although the " White Bronze " is making Stoney's likenes a little like Harry Carey's .

Developing ..........................

Shiver ...........................

Jacky !

10-20-03 05:39 PM
Navin
Boots most mentioned on this board:

- Handsome girls '78
- Brussels Affair '73
- Stripped Companion '95
- Hampton '81
- Atlantic City '89
10-20-03 06:27 PM
Phog Don't forget:

- Leeds '71
10-20-03 07:12 PM
Flashpoint ''I'd like to know why Some Girls was never played on the Some Girls 78 Tour. ''

Same thing i asked myself about Before they make me run...
Once Keith had a good rocker to play instead of Happy, he didn't choose it
10-20-03 08:42 PM
cwatts0462 BOOTS are a must if you really want to get into a band
start off slow and before you know it you will be one of us
10-20-03 08:53 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I would say get Brussels first. It's essential, only one CD, and easy to find. It's outstanding, the pinnacle of the Taylor era, though not as sloppy as it should be, especially on the Exile cuts. Perth '73 is much more raw but on the verge of falling apart - Brussels is outstandingly good and stays together well, although it's such a shock to hear Mick Taylor's distinct leads, so different from the weaves of '75-'81! The version of "Rambler" here, in my opinion, has been matched only on good nights on this most recent tour, and only when they turn Chuck down. It's absolutely essential.

The big four-CD Tour Of The Americas from 1975 is rumored to be great but not as essential as Handsome Girls from 1978. I find the playing in 81 to be better than 78... the versions of "All Down The Line" and "Honky Tonk Women" seem a little flatlined - not at all like the versions they spat out in '75. '81 was really the "wake up and punk up or face elimination" tour, so they did, even though it was also the beginning of their "big sets and corporate sponsorships make us better" era. So head to Brussels first. If you want, I'll trade ya a copy of Brussels for that one you've got of '75. Drop me a PM and we'll work something out, unless someone's got a nice 2-CD Deluxo set of Brussels or something. Does it even exist?

Now, where's my bubble gum?

-tSYX --- Ohhh, no one ever left alive, in nineteen hundred eighty five will ever do...
10-20-03 09:38 PM
beer yeah, Definitive Brussels is two CDs.
10-21-03 05:54 AM
hmps "Amen!"

Amen.

"Don't forget:

- Leeds '71"

Imo you're fine with GYYYO. They have almost the same sound on 'em. But sure.. if you like GYYYO you should get Leeds '71. There are a few exceptions of course.

- Dead flowers - nice solo
- Brown Sugar - as sharp as the real deal
(- Stray Cat Blues - love the intro)

* * * * * * * shibbi
10-21-03 10:23 AM
jb Marko, I read in either Wymans book or the new book(According to the RS) CYHMK was attempted live once in 1970-is this a mistake as SF was not released until 71? Please advise if there exists a boot of this alleged performance. Thank you and bon appetite.
10-21-03 10:26 AM
steel driving hammer In that book Wyman said they played Some Girls a few times in 78.

Never did.
10-21-03 10:28 AM
T&A Wyman makes several mistakes like this...he alludes to them playing Johnny B. Goode on the same tour...what exactly was he smokin?
10-21-03 10:32 AM
jb So you both are saying prior to the Licks version(utterly horrible) CYHMK was never played live?
10-21-03 10:32 AM
steel driving hammer
quote:
T&A wrote:
what exactly was he smokin?

Apparently some good shit! LOL.
10-21-03 10:34 AM
Joey " '81 was really the "wake up and punk up or face elimination" tour, so they did, even though it was also the beginning of their "big sets and corporate sponsorships make us better" era. So head to Brussels first. If you want, I'll trade ya a copy of .............."

Whenever I hear anything from the '81 Tour , I get that " The Party has just Started Feeling " . Indeed , I see Barkers and Colored Balloons falling down all around me .

" Tie Me Up and Call Me Suzi Ronnie "

The Jacky !

10-21-03 10:35 AM
steel driving hammer Gotta bootleg at home (forgot the name) of Taylor and Richards playing CYHMK together in a small bar I around the 80's maybe, in Texas - yes SBD.

Anyone remember that name or date of that one?

Lone Star something...?
10-21-03 10:36 AM
jb Call marko....he will know..he , along with Cardinal Fang, are the most knowledgeable Stones fans on the net.
10-21-03 10:40 AM
Joey " Anyone remember that name or date of that one?

Lone Star something...? "

I believe it is " Knickerbockers " or perhaps " The Thirsty River "

Jazzy !

10-21-03 10:48 AM
steel driving hammer Maybe we'll ask Marko in todays chat session!

Joey Baby why are you never in the afternoon chats????

WHY!

Page: 1 2