ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones: live or studio? Return to archive
October 28th, 2004 05:07 AM
F505 some stones songs are really good on cd but lack the magic when played live:
Undercover
heartbreaker
anybody seen my baby
love is strong
saint of me
respectable
shattered
bitch

I rather listen to the studio versions when I want to hear one of these...
October 28th, 2004 05:09 AM
gypsy I agree with your choices--especially "Shattered." I like the studio version better too. Maybe it's the bass...it sounds better in the studio version. The live version is sloppy and messy...not in a good, raw, hard-rockin' way like most of the others--"Honky Tonk Women," for example, is great live.
[Edited by gypsy]
October 28th, 2004 06:19 AM
Zack Bitch from the 72 US tour and the Down Under shows from 73 is amazing, with MT on the rhythm, but if you are talking about the 89 version, I agree. That sucked.
October 28th, 2004 07:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
F505 wrote:
some stones songs are really good on cd but lack the magic when played live:
Undercover
heartbreaker
anybody seen my baby
love is strong
saint of me
respectable
shattered
bitch

I rather listen to the studio versions when I want to hear one of these...

Always preferred the live versions of Heartbreaker. Theres something missing in the ingredients on Goats Head Soup that keeps the rockers on it from having the fire they SHOULD have. The "Brussels affair" version of it absolutely blows the shit out of the studio version. It was very good on the club shows last year too and in 1994/95.

"Saint of me" was one of the absolute highlights of the BTB tour.

"Anybody seen my baby" I thought was a really good song, especially Waddy's guitar coda towards the end. Gorgeous. It was horrific however when played live. It basically stopped the show every night. I dont think theres ever been a Stones song that has been consistently performed so poorly, night after night.

Undercover and Shattered are simply great studio songs that cant really be matched in concert. I enjoyed "Shattered" when I saw them do it at Madison Square Garden two years ago and it was a great opener at Shepherds Bush in '99. Its not as great as the studio version, its just different.

The obvious contender for a live performance which cant match the original is Miss You. Its become so tired, indulgent, over-long and lame on recent tours (especially BTB) that its made so many fans hate it so much that they forget what a great record the original actually was. Again a studio recording so brilliantly produced that its impossible to match when played live. (How could you possibly do the atmosphere created by that incredible middle part of the song - the instrumental, with Bill's amazing bass part and the 'walkin central park' bridge - justice in front of 60,000 people?). Actually the few times they played it on the last tour was an improvement on the last few tours as they stripped it down and it didnt outstay its welcome but I dont think I'd miss it if I never saw or heard it played live again. The studio version however, I could listen to every day.
October 28th, 2004 07:49 AM
F505 Miss You live was one of my favourites when played in 78. During recent tours it became indeed over-long and lacked the tension of the studio version. But the same is true with classics as brown sugar, satisfaction and jumping jack flash when played as encores.
Saint of me is one of the best songs the Stones produced in recent years but in concerts it became a singalong tune without any tension.

Another song that I forgot: Dance: excellent on ER pretty lame when played live.
[Edited by F505]
October 28th, 2004 07:55 AM
Gazza ya think so? I thought it fuckin smoked! Never thought I'd ever see them play that one. Never thought they'd be able to, either!
October 28th, 2004 09:01 AM
marko Saint of me smoked,specially over here in europe!I think
Miss you was still great in 1982.1990 was ok too,not too
long.
Also think that Bitch was ex in 89,but its been pretty bad
since.
Undercover worked pretty well in 89 as well.Better than
one hit.
October 28th, 2004 09:37 PM
Soldatti
quote:
F505 wrote:
some stones songs are really good on cd but lack the magic when played live:
Undercover
heartbreaker
anybody seen my baby
love is strong
saint of me
respectable
shattered
bitch

Almost all the songs got strange arrangments and very fast rhythm for our boys (I add Flip The Switch as another example)