ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: My cd collection (nsc) Return to archive
October 27th, 2004 06:13 PM
Bloozehound Hey dudes,

Over the summer/fall I've accumulated 62 new cd's. They've just stacked up on a desk in my study until recently I decided to move them into the general population on the shelf.

Out of curiousity I took a total of my entire cd music collection, mind you these are actual cd's, not cd-r, and I'm NOT including bootlegs, records, or cassette tapes either (most of which are boxed up in storage)

new cd's = 62
------------------------------
on the shelf single cd's = 830
cd box sets (2 disc) = 25
2 x 25 = 50
cd box sets (3-4 disc) = 31
round low, go with 3 discs sets, 3 x 31 = 93
--------------------------------------------

830 + 62 + 50 + 93 = 1035 cd's

Not to bad, eh ?

I'd imagine most of the music buffs here have me outmatched, but just out of curiousity how does your cd collection stack up ?

**I didn't include bootlegs, cd-R, mp3, records, tapes ect.. of which my total would possibly come pretty close to doubling if I'd included them.

[Edited by Bloozehound]
October 27th, 2004 06:24 PM
mickjaggersgrl i have a cd burner so i dont need to buy cds unless i want to
October 27th, 2004 07:12 PM
Gimme Shelter 623 total cds
October 27th, 2004 07:26 PM
mickjaggersgrl dang that's alot of cd's

October 27th, 2004 09:59 PM
Soldatti Wow number!
October 28th, 2004 12:29 AM
Sir Stonesalot I haven't broken it down as "official" cds and then boots. My total right now is nearing 7500, I'd guess about 2500 are store bought.

My uncle has lots more than me. He is probably in the neighborhood of 20,000 cds...of which around 15,000 are store bought. He also has around 25,000 vinyl albums. 23 guitars and 9 amps.

Between the 2 of us, we'd have a cool record store.
October 28th, 2004 12:33 AM
Zack Mine's about the same size as yours, Bloozy.
October 28th, 2004 04:13 AM
Navin
Mine's in the range of only about around 100 or even less...(more quality than quantity!!)...not including DVDs and boots.

But that way, they all get a listen at least once a year!

Just saw the Fats Domino box set 'Walking to New Orleans' at a store....thought what the hell, and bought the thing, anyone else like Fats?
October 28th, 2004 05:25 AM
F505 maybe you should look to the quality of your collections and not to the huge amounts of cd's that are piling up.
October 28th, 2004 07:52 AM
justforyou
quote:
Zack wrote:
Mine's about the same size as yours, Bloozy.

Well well well...
October 28th, 2004 07:55 AM
Sir Stonesalot Hey, I admit it. I've had a lot of crap in my collection.

But how do you know it's crap until you listen to it? It wasn't until rather recently that I could hear at least snipets of an album before I bought it. There are a couple stores now that have listening stations. That helps. The result is that I don't buy crap anymore. But there was 15+ years of CD buying that was hit or miss.

I have been able to weed out a lot of the crap stuff in my collection, and trade it in or sell it. So I don't have near as much crap as I used to have.

I'll tell you this, the worst thing about having a huge collection is that I can't listen to all of it. It has to be a pretty special album to get more than one play on my CD player. Once it goes onto the shelves, it could be years before it gets played again....if ever.

On the other hand, if someone ever says to me(and it frequently happens), "Hey, do you have anything by *insert artist here*?", I can almost always say yes. Unless they ask for like, Journey or Rush or Celine Dion or something like that.

Another problem is storage. I've got big plastic storage tubs full of CDs waiting for shelf space. Problem is, I don't have space for any more shelves!
October 28th, 2004 08:53 AM
marko Buy a house for cd�s only!
October 28th, 2004 01:04 PM
Madafaka I prefer the quality before that the quantity, but I must have around 600 cds. (Store 60% + CDR 40%)
To this number it is necessary to add the Stones cds, which I have separated and they will be between 350 and 400.
This number is estimated counting the rows of cds and doing rapid calculations, really I don't count one by one.
[Edited by Madafaka]
October 28th, 2004 01:28 PM
sirmoonie 700 plus official releases

approx 50 boots, mostly Stones with a few Who, Neil Young, and Clash

Still have about two hundred vinyly records and tapes from way back in the day. Hard to believe some of the crap in there - I actually bought The Eagles Greatest Hits once! (2.99 bargain bin sticker on it, thankfully)
October 28th, 2004 01:56 PM
marko About 1000 Stones shows(including solos)+outtakes.
Around 200zep boots,then i have boots also from Frank Zappa
and Pink Floyd,thats maybe 70boots together.

Official cd�s i have around only,330 cd�s.That number is so
low,beacause i ONLY buy cd�s,which i can/will listen more
than once,(that 20times at least),and i can still enjoy
hearing it 20years after.In my collection i have
Black sabbath
dio
Rainbow
Cult
Faith no more
dire straits
Focus(this was DUTCH proge band)
Gentle Giant
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Kent(swedish rock band)
Led zep
Pink Floyd
Genesis(only few must haves)

and even
Type O Negative!,really like this band!
October 28th, 2004 02:12 PM
Jair Something between 1500/2000 CDs and around 500 CD-R. Like Madafaka, I dont count, I only know I'm getting without space to keep it decently
October 28th, 2004 02:14 PM
Bloozehound That's true about shelving cds. I'm like a shark, always on the move and devouring new stuff. When I get ahold of something that doesn't quite catch my ear, it gets shelved, maybe to never come down again for a long, long time.

That's why it's so fun to re-organize my collection like I did, I'll come across shit I forgot I had, it's almost like free music or Christmas come early, like "Hey, where the hell did these come from??"

You throw it on and sometimes completely rediscover an artist or music style that you weren't quite into earlier. Sometimes it turns out to still be crap and goes back on the shelf forever or gets sold off, but it's fun.

For me, my collections totally quality over quantity. I spent years in those cd clubs like BMG and Columbia House, the bulk of my stash came from there. Great way to get alot of music for cheap, especially more commercial/ main stream stuff.

But I've come to realize what I really enjoy and for the past few years I've been streamlining it, cutting out the fat, gave it a rehaul once ot twice, and been building it up in the areas that I prefer, but it's good to leave some crap around, it comes in handy when you're in a pinch with guests.

One day I'd like to get one of those cd jukeboxes and set it up next to my home bar. A friend of mines parents have one, it's "da bomb" at parties.
October 28th, 2004 03:27 PM
F505 I have roughly 12.000 cd's, 4500 lp's, 6200 singles and a couple of hundreds boots (all of them excellent of course)