ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: So who's on board for Producing this baby?......From Ian Return to archive
October 27th, 2004 01:12 AM
IanBillen
Well they are to start recording shortly. I assume a producer is either:
A. Already hired
B. Almost hired
C. Or atleast it is narrowed down.

I am assuming even with a name like The Rolling Stones they would at least give someone word on when they would like them to start work and where a decent amount ahead of time (say a month or a few months), if the producer was interested.....then again no producer on this planet would turn down the #1 job in Rock n Roll.

(OK, #2 job. I forgot about Charlie Watts for just a second)

Who do you think it is? Don Was?
I want to state I think that if they are to choose a Producer one should be needed around right about now being as I really feel most of the material is written or either stamped in.
Ian
October 27th, 2004 04:38 AM
F505 I think they should try Daniel Lanois. He was Bob Dylan's saviour twice.
[Edited by F505]
October 27th, 2004 04:48 AM
Gazza No idea, but I'd imagine they would give whoever it is a few months notice so he can clear his schedule. Same with anyone who would be employed on a short term contract.

I hope it's either Rick Rubin or Daniel Lanois.
October 27th, 2004 05:10 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I hope it's either Rick Rubin or Daniel Lanois.

I wish! Although I think we stand more possibilities of reading "Don Was" on the leaflet again.
October 27th, 2004 05:28 AM
IanBillen
Ok stupid question:
Are they thinking on producing soley themselves as in just "The Glimmer Twins" and no help or is this simply a thing of the past?

I know times are different and so are they but I wonder if it ever occured to them to try that route like in the old days.

Ian
October 27th, 2004 05:29 AM
beer I'm pretty sure it doesn't even matter anymore who produces. That's not a dis to the Stones or anything. I wanna hear new stuff too. But the bottom line is that it will sound exactly the way Mick Jagger wants it to. It will not be 'raw' or 'dirty' or anything even remotely like that. Jagger ,and maybe even Keith, are convinced that modern recording technology is the way to go. The last album that had that excellent "Stones Sound" was Tattoo You, and they will never sound like that again.
October 27th, 2004 05:44 AM
L&A If they ask it to me, they'll have the choice between Rick Rubin and Rick Rubin
October 27th, 2004 07:48 AM
Gazza
quote:
IanBillen wrote:

Ok stupid question:
Are they thinking on producing soley themselves as in just "The Glimmer Twins" and no help or is this simply a thing of the past?

I know times are different and so are they but I wonder if it ever occured to them to try that route like in the old days.

Ian

well,obviously at this stage NO ONE really knows what they're "thinking" re: a producer as it hasnt been made public. I know someone on here or maybe it was on IORR bumped into Don Was coming out of a show somewhere in the US around last April/May and he'd mentioned doing some work in the near future with the Stones. Of course, those sessions didnt exactly come off.

I doubt they'll just produce an album themselves again. When was the last one..Tattoo You?
October 27th, 2004 01:45 PM
Bloozehound I like the Rick Rubin idea, he knows how turn it up and "rock out with your cock out" when it's appropriate (Slayer, Cult, Tom Petty), but he can just as easily bring it back gentle and accoustic while keeping it raw (Cash). Perfect for a Stones record.

Plus he's got a tremendous track record with rap, LL Cool J, Sir Mix Alot, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, maybe he can get the Stones back into a black groove with some attitude.

I respect Daniel Lanois's work, (Peter Gabriel, U2, Dylan Willie N.) but he seems more suited for electronica and/or earthy, mellow music IMO

but who knows, either could be a godsend or a total disaster depending on the material the Stones bring to the table
October 27th, 2004 05:13 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

I respect Daniel Lanois's work, (Peter Gabriel, U2, Dylan Willie N.) but he seems more suited for electronica and/or earthy, mellow music IMO

I agree with you, bloozey -- the notion of Daniel Lanois adding his polite atmospherics and dead style to a Rolling Stones record would be a disaster.

Rick Rubin is the man!

October 27th, 2004 05:55 PM
Poplar
Daniel Lanois, eh? That may piss off the U2 haters around here. Lanois and Edge are tight, and they've worked together on a lot of U2's stuff.

October 27th, 2004 07:45 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
beer wrote:
But the bottom line is that it will sound exactly the way Mick Jagger wants it to. It will not be 'raw' or 'dirty' or anything even remotely like that. Jagger ,and maybe even Keith, are convinced that modern recording technology is the way to go. The last album that had that excellent "Stones Sound" was Tattoo You, and they will never sound like that again.

hey beer - i say you're right about "TY" being the last distintinctive "stones sound" recording - i don't know tho if it's mick and keith's acceptance of modern technology it's just the fact that there's no way getting away from it

the fault IMO lies with the rise of digital technology

once upon a time back in the days of analog recording you could almost tell which studio a recording was done in - these days not only do all studios seem to generate the same sounds but most recordings - thanks to the wonders of the digital age -sound pretty much the same

i say they should get the old mobile recording unit fired up or go to that studio nasty mentioned once "Rags" or something like that (i think the white stripes used it)

what i'm saying is - do the whole thing from recording to mixing to mastering on old analog equipment and get some warmth, some heart and soul and some "individuality" back into proceedings

btw - how's married life treating you - when will we hear the pitter patter of "little beer" feet??
October 27th, 2004 10:02 PM
Soldatti Don Was will be the producer, they not will change.
October 27th, 2004 11:49 PM
T&A LOOG
October 28th, 2004 11:41 PM
M.O.W.A.T. Dig up Jimmy Miller!
October 29th, 2004 01:33 AM
IanBillen
Don Was is very, very, good. I would not complain about someone eles though. Maybe Jack White under the Glimmer Twins. I want that Raunchy, Raw, Full analog sound to them.

So do you think it will be an SACD as a Hybrid? I cetainly hope. SACD is a very good listening experience and it makes a difference in sound. From Warmth, to hearing all the notes, to a great stereo spread image, to a great live kinda sound. The Stones on the Remasters sound like they are live on the mic right in your living room on certain numbers.
SACD gives it that extra ten percent.
Ian
October 30th, 2004 03:57 PM
Bloozehound Things change, lifes an evolving process.

I say get someone new in there and see what happens on their first album for the century.

Sometimes change is a good thing, it tests you to see if you're alive.

Stones cd products have traditionally lead the way with the latest technology, like the Virgin remasters with the kick ass packaging, those were some of the first "remastered" cd's I can recall. To bad they didn't include bonus tracks lol, but now "remastered" editions are the standard with anything that came out before 1990. And don't forget the abkco SACDs.

I'd imagine when the new album comes out it'll be available as an SACD digipak, or whatever is on the cutting edge at the moment.
October 30th, 2004 07:39 PM
wgwalsh Billy Wyman is as qualified as anyone else.
October 30th, 2004 09:34 PM
glencar
quote:
M.O.W.A.T. wrote:
Dig up Jimmy Miller!

I suggest a petition be started!
October 30th, 2004 11:13 PM
Gazza LOL..fuck, dont start her....
October 30th, 2004 11:40 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
I'd imagine when the new album comes out it'll be available as an SACD digipak, or whatever is on the cutting edge at the moment.

When the new album comes out will be released on all the possible formats, SACD included.
October 31st, 2004 12:22 AM
Bloozehound right on