ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Taylor/John Mayall tonight..! Return to archive Page: 1 2
October 26th, 2004 07:44 AM
Gazza Hotlicks and myself will be at Belfast's Waterfront Hall tonight to see John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Mick Taylor.

Lookin' forward to it. Mayall has pre and post show CD/DVD autograph sessions and from what reviews I've read elsewhere on some occasions Taylor has been there after the show to sign stuff as well. So hopefully we'll get to meet him.

Reviews to follow!
October 26th, 2004 08:35 AM
J.J.Flash Gary you Lucky son of a bitch..... enjoy the gig man....Gotta be something....
October 26th, 2004 09:40 AM
nankerphelge Ought to be a great show unless Mick has a snack attack in the middle!!
October 26th, 2004 09:53 AM
Joey
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Ought to be a great show unless Mick has a snack attack in the middle!!

Nanky ...........................

You make Joey sniggle .

Congratulations Gary --- sounds like one Hell of a show

...watch out for the " Arby's Sauce " whilst shaking Taylor's hand .

Cassie Joe !
October 26th, 2004 12:55 PM
stewed & Keefed Enjoy the show Gazza.....also Stan Webb and Chicken Shack should be a great show.
[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
October 26th, 2004 01:59 PM
gustavobala gazza, you'll listen simply the best guitar player in the world....

enjoy man!
October 26th, 2004 08:06 PM
Gazza Just got in.

Very enjoyable night. Chicken Shack opened and played for about 45 minutes - Stan Webb was an excellent and very charismatic front man, played some great guitar and sang like a bird. Closed with "I'd Rather Go Blind" as an encore, dedicated to the DJ John Peel, who died earlier today and who had "played the arse out of the song" on radio for them over 30 years ago.

Mayall is such a strange character it's unreal. We knew he'd be signing CDs and DVD's before and after the show and so he did. He turns up in the lobby about an hour before the show, fannies around for about 20 minutes setting up his CD stall ON HIS OWN - even though there's staff all around the lobby scratching their arses 'cos theyve nothing to do, he does everything himself. Meticulously. Even taking the money and giving people their change, unpacking the boxes of DVDs and CDs and tearing the protective seal wrapping off them and when he's signed them, he even puts the sleeves into the jewel cases himself! It was like watching a market stall trader at Camden Market on a Sunday morning. hes happy to sign stuff OK and pose for pics but its hard to get any conversation out of him or to get him to make eye contact or look at a camera. I got a photo taken with him and as the flash was about to go off, he looked down to the floor!!

When Chicken Shack's set had ended we went out to the lobby to get a beer and my mate John joked that Mayall would probably still be out there flogging his cds. Believe it or not he was. Overheard him explaining to someone that he likes doing this because theres so much time to kill before a show starts.

We left the lobby at 9.30 as the Bluesbreakers started and at that time Mayall was still selling his discs! The band played a couple of very good R&B numbers before Mayall hit the stage...literally jogging on from the wings looking like he'd sprinted all the way round from his stall. His guitar player , Buddy Whittingham is this big bear-like guy from Texas who held his Strat like it was a toothpick and played like a god. He was a bloody good singer too on the two songs he sang before John came on. After Mayall came out,they then played until about 10.15, starting off with this terrific driving R&B song in praise of Muddy Waters and Little Walter. If his offstage persona was somewhat odd, he's a different man entirely onstage. he blew the shit out of his harmonica and was in good, strong voice - the way he sings to the audience is very authoritative , lots of nodding and fingerpointing like an old sage or a teacher admonishing an unruly child. Have to say I enjoyed his set more than I expected to.

At about 10.15 or so, you could see Mick Taylor waiting in the wings and he was introduced to a great ovation. the first song he played on was "Someone's Acting Like a Child" off the "Blues from Laurel Canyon" album. Mick then sang one of his own songs from the album "A Stone's Throw" and they ran through a few more until closing the show in time for the 11 pm curfew with "Walking On Sunset". Taylor played a Les Paul all night,sounded very good and even made (by his standards) some attempts to dance (well, he kinda bobbed on the soles of his feet a bit when Mayall was blasting out a solo). They were persuaded back for a post-curfew encore of "All Your Love" from the Bluesbreakers' 'Beano' album and got a standing ovation at
the end. The theatre holds about 2,300..which is bigger than most of the venues theyre playing. I'd say it was about two thirds full.

Mayall said he and Mick would be out in the lobby again after the show to sign autographs. We got out of the main auditorium and there Mayall was again already - signing away. What a hawker! he signed a couple of things for me and then we wandered to the other side of the lobby where Mick was sitting at a table, with shades on, signing autographs. A blonde girl was with him who I assumed is his wife. I asked him would he mind signing a few Stones CDs for me and he said he'd be delighted to. So I whipped out all the 6 Stones albums he'd played on from "let it bleed" through to "IORR" and he signed them all...or I thought he had. Checked later and he seemed to have accidentally skipped IORR. He posed for a photo with me and then I took one of him with my mate as well (although he took the shades off for that one, much to my audible mock displeasure). Had a brief chat with him, teasing him that it was about time he played here and he said he was delighted to be here at last and that the venue was excellent. He seemed in very good form and seemed a really nice guy, and quite touched with all the handshakes and "thank you"'s that people were giving him.

[Edited by Gazza]
October 26th, 2004 09:53 PM
Soldatti Great review, thanks!
October 26th, 2004 11:17 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl we need pix and specially audio!
October 26th, 2004 11:19 PM
parmeda
quote:
Gazza wrote:
I asked him would he mind signing a few Stones CDs for me and he said he'd be delighted to. So I whipped out all the 6 Stones albums from "let it bleed" to "IORR" and he signed them all...or I thought he had. Checked later and he seemed to have accidentally skipped IORR. He posed for a photo with me and then I took one of him with my mate as well (although he took the shades off for that one, much to my audible mock displeasure).

Gazza, I love it! You're loaded down with CD's and have a camera in tow... A true fan indeed, lol. Does anyone ever give you any grief when you "pack up" before seeing a show, especially knowing that there's a possibility of scoring an autograph? I catch all types of hell...but it's worth it

Good for you!
October 26th, 2004 11:47 PM
littleredrooster Great news, Gazza!
Sorry that I could not be there to share the moment!
October 27th, 2004 11:49 AM
jpenn11 Great review Gazza! Thanks

October 27th, 2004 12:19 PM
Gazza
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
we need pix and specially audio!

Its been taped ok by another friend of mine. Not sure if he video'd it as well. Will post the photo when I get it, as long as its not a shitty one.

>Parmeda wrote:
Gazza, I love it! You're loaded down with CD's and have a camera in tow... A true fan indeed, lol. Does anyone ever give you any grief when you "pack up" before seeing a show, especially knowing that there's a possibility of scoring an autograph? I catch all types of hell...but it's worth it

Not really. I didnt bring a shitload of cds. Just the covers. Plus my pal's camera was one of those pocket ones. None of that shit that Annie Liebovitz would cart in with her! Only hassle is smuggling cameras in but you can get them into your sock and walk into the hall a bit funny (sometimes its gone off by accident and I've ended up with a close up of my own ankle). Up until a few years ago, you could barely get into a concert hall in Belfast without what was almost a full cavity search but its pretty normal now. There wasnt any security last night anyway, so I think I could have walked in with a bloody mixing desk had I wanted to. The only thing I was concerned about was whether or not Mick would sign so many CDs, but he was fine with it.
October 27th, 2004 12:36 PM
charlotte Great review Gazza, but my Intel reports had you located on a freighter in the Mediterranean Sea??

Very good website:
http://www.johnmayall.com/home.html
October 27th, 2004 12:38 PM
jb Very nice story Gazza..
October 27th, 2004 12:53 PM
parmeda Gazza...you need to start carrying a purse
I understand about the security thing, but you'd be surprised at some of the stunts I've pulled, lol. But hey, they've worked!
October 27th, 2004 02:10 PM
Joey <-----Very nice story Gazza..

Yes , agreed little fella .

....but what about the " Arby Sauce " ?!?!

Developing ...........................

Friskee !
October 27th, 2004 02:15 PM
Martha Great reveiw Gary. You are too cool for school!

Please post the photo.

Don't make me beg.
:-)
October 27th, 2004 03:29 PM
Gazza
quote:
charlotte wrote:
Great review Gazza, but my Intel reports had you located on a freighter in the Mediterranean Sea??

Very good website:

Huh?
October 27th, 2004 03:33 PM
Joey
quote:
charlotte wrote:
Great review Gazza, but my Intel reports had you located on a freighter in the Mediterranean Sea??

Very good website:

******* BLANK FRIGGIN STARE ***********

********** WTF ?!?! *****************

********** You make Gazza say , HUH ?!?! *************

?
October 27th, 2004 03:41 PM
gustavobala gazza, some doubts

1- are he drunk? i ask because someone in iorr.org says he was drunk everytime, i think is a silly, but....

2- are he so much fat??????

3- he skipped just IORR

4- where the photos?
[Edited by gustavobala]
October 27th, 2004 03:54 PM
Gazza gustavobala wrote:
gazza, some doubts

1- are he drunk? i ask because someone in iorr.org says he was drunk everytime, i think is a silly, but....

No, he definitely wasnt. I was close enough to him when I was chatting to him and he seemed completely sober to me!

2- are he so much fat??????

well..lol...yeah. he could do with losing a few pounds. He was wearing a jacket and a scarf so it was hard to tell that easily, to be honest

3- he skipped just IORR

Hey I got 5 albums out of 6 authographed. Next time I see him I'll bring that one!

4- where the photos?

In my friend's camera. Didnt take any concert photos, just a couple of poses afterwards. I'll post the one of the two of us when he get it developed.
October 27th, 2004 04:40 PM
gypsy Thanks for the review, Gazza! You are so lucky--I'm happy for ya!

Joey, the Arby's sauce had me laughing really hard.
I think Mick T should try whatever diet Christian Bale did for his role in "The Machinist." He lost 1/3 of his body weight. <---Do those statistics get you hot, josh?
October 27th, 2004 05:15 PM
charlotte
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Huh?

Are you reading Vol 2 of the mystery novel??
October 27th, 2004 05:15 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Thanks for the review, Gazza! You are so lucky--I'm happy for ya!

Joey, the Arby's sauce had me laughing really hard.
I think Mick T should try whatever diet Christian Bale did for his role in "The Machinist." He lost 1/3 of his body weight. <---Do those statistics get you hot, josh?

Gypsy .......................................

I can't seem to figure out how(e) to get the " copyright " insignia to work :

" Hold down the 'Alt' button.

While you're holding it down, press 0 then 1 then 6 then 9 on the RIGHT side of the keyboard.

Now let go of the 'Alt' button. "

Could you please be of some assistance here ?!?!

Developing ..........................

Jacky !

October 27th, 2004 05:21 PM
gypsy Just copy and paste a copyright symbol, dumbass.
October 27th, 2004 05:25 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:
Just copy and paste a copyright symbol, dumbass.

Testing ! :

�� ��
October 27th, 2004 09:58 PM
Soldatti Great reviews
October 28th, 2004 09:29 AM
Joey
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Great reviews

October 28th, 2004 02:08 PM
gustavobala thanxs gazza....

hey, he was whit wife and daughter???????

i think he divorcced rosie?...is right?

Page: 1 2